• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Obvious to anybody with their head around game production. Unsure to the poor beggers.

Daedardus

WTF is wrong with people?

Are people just experiencing momentary lapses of reason, or do they really not understand that "Bayo2 and TW101 will come to PS3/360 if Nintendo allows it" and "Bayo2 and TW101 to remain Wii U exclusive" are, for all practical purposes, the same thing?

I think people are just getting tired from hearing the obvious again and again, so they start making jokes about it.

DaBoss

Do ps3 or 360 have any major upcoming third party exclusives?

I can't think of any honestly. Third-party exclusives went the way of the dinosaur. Third-party publishers want the money and going multiplatform will give them the money.

Erethian

I can't think of any honestly. Third-party exclusives went the way of the dinosaur. Third-party publishers want the money and going multiplatform will give them the money.

There were some at the beginning of the generation, but development costs made the practice increasingly unviable. It was also to the benefit of the PC, because it could serve as an additional platform for minimal cost.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm shocked. SHOCKED! Next thing you're gonna tell me is that this is all somekind of maliciousy fiendish plot from Nintendo to have people buy their platform for said exclusives.

mNeyxCG.jpg

1VWTK12.gif

Ferr986

There is still the possibility Nintendo bought the IP. We don't know for sure what actually happened. Beside Nintendo funding it.

Yeah maybe, but then Sega would have 0 role in Bayo 2. I remember their logo in the trailer, I though it was because they were the IP holder.

monome

Sega won't sell Bayo IP.
Nintendo won't buy it.

Sega is pleased with free money.
Nintendo is pleased with good GAF publicity.

PG gets to work.

All is well.

Go ask Sony or MS for a PS720 game. Apart from those two, I don't see anybody esle publishing their titles.
EA has not done so well with its publishing branch.
Activision has no interest in 2 millions sellers.
Kodokawa, GungHo ...why go with these guys when you got Nintendo? better Nintendo exclusives rather than poorly funded PS720 games.
Leaves Square Enix...that could be interesting.
Konami will never make them develop a new IP.

of course Capcom. Never say never. Especially once next-gen is going on hard. We'll see casualties and unexpected alliances for sure.

japtor

That would be my generation, I'm over the shock and now I get a fuzzy feeling when I see Sega and Nintendo's logo side by side on that Bayonetta 2 reveal trailer
If only Amusement Vision was still in tact for another F-Zero.

Erethian

I'm pretty sure the Sega logo appeared during January's Direct. They still own it (partially).

Tecmo Koei still partially owns Fatal Frame but you won't ever see a game in that series on a non-Nintendo platform. A different situation, because Nintendo co-owns the copyright now, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Nintendo take co-ownership of the Bayonetta copyright.

DaBoss

There is still the possibility Nintendo bought the IP. We don't know for sure what actually happened. Beside Nintendo funding it.

There is a better chance they would co-own the IP rather than buying the IP from SEGA.

EDIT: Beaten by a minute.

There were some at the beginning of the generation, but development costs made the practice increasingly unviable. It was also to the benefit of the PC, because it could serve as an additional platform for minimal cost.

Yea pretty much this. PC is what has the most exclusives due to indie games, and PC only devs.

Ferr986

Tecmo Koei still partially owns Fatal Frame but you won't ever see a game in that series on a non-Nintendo platform. A different situation, because Nintendo co-owns the copyright now, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Nintendo take co-ownership of the Bayonetta copyright.

Didnt Inaba said in an interview that if Bayo 2 sells well they could expand the IP onto new systems again?

Erethian

Yea pretty much this. PC is what has the most exclusives due to indie games, and PC only devs.

Well I was thinking more in the sense that you started to see more and more console ports on PC, which also owes to the fact that consoles are becoming more and more like a PC. But also because releasing a high-profile game on 360/PS3/PC makes sense; spread the risk.

But yeah, in general third-party exclusives now come in the form of niche or digital download titles.

ArjanN

And there will still be people who remain optimistic about playing Bayonetta 2 on other systems. Hell people have moved on to Bayonetta 3 now lol :/

Can't blame people for hoping something good to happen even if the chance is small.

Erethian

Didnt Inaba said in an interview that if Bayo 2 sells well they could expand the IP onto new systems again?

No. You might be getting confused with Inaba's statement on their internal engine that they're using to develop Bayonetta 2. It's PC-based but is designed to work with multiple platforms, including the Wii U.

The only time they talked about expanding the IP was when it was announced, and that was Tatsuya Minami talking about growing the Bayonetta brand... with Nintendo.

nickcv

I hope you know I wasn't being serious. I don't even have a PS3 or Xbox360.

Well, that was kind of the joke. Seems a popular opinion on some places on the internet. Thought I would chip in with it. Sorry if the sarcasm wasn't too obvious.

sorry, seems like i cannot detect sarcasm these days :p

pelican

Well thankfully that's this rumour put to rest. Bayo and 101 remain Wii u only. No matter what happens Nintendo won't publish the titles on other formats.

Looking forward to Bayo.

javac

Can't blame people for hoping something good to happen even if the chance is small.

Not at all. The games going to be terrific. But that's the way of life. Zelda on the Wii U will probably be terrific too, but if you want to play it you'd have to buy the Wii U, same with Bayonetta 2. It's a Nintendo game pretty much. It sucks for people who don't have a Wii U but that's the whole point. Games like this exist in predicaments such as this so people buy the Wii U. Why would you buy the Wii U if there was nothing to entice you?

AniHawk

I heard Quantic Dream are first in line to snap up Sakamoto to continue their mission of cinematic story telling.

since they'd be at sony, they could team up with naughty dog and all be awful together. of course, jason rubin would need to come back to complete the trifecta.

Ferr986

No. You might be getting confused with Inaba's statement on their internal engine that they're using to develop Bayonetta 2. It's PC-based but is designed to work with multiple platforms, including the Wii U.

Yeah I may got it wrong. Thx.

Himself

I understand people being concerned from thIs angle: if Bayo and 101 are the only games that would make someone buy a Wii U, I'm sure they would want to be cautious about shelling out for a system when they can just get ports for their preferred system a year later and not have to waste money on a Wii U.

I'm not exactly this person, but I sort of am. Rayman, Bayo and 101 all destroy anything else being offered for the system so far, announced or speculated.

JDSN

Banned
People still think that Retro is a third party, some are just willing to feign ignorance to do some port begging.

Katsuragi

JP Kellams (‏@PG_jp):

Translated @PG_kamiya tweet: We are a developer. Nintendo are the ones kind enough to fund and publish our W101 and Bayo 2 projects. (1/2)

So if Nintendo says “We are publishing Bayo 2 on PS3/360.” Then it will happen. So please go ask them, not us. (2/2)

There is a better chance they would co-own the IP rather than buying the IP from SEGA.

Yep. People might wonder what good that does for Sega or Nintendo, but the reality is likely very simple: It keeps Sega's name attached to a high-quality franchise while Nintendo end up paying a little bit less for what is, in all probability, complete exclusivity.

dEvAnGeL

i mean, its bayonetta 2, first game sucked but for some reason it became important to Wii U owners, i guess they are that desperate for software?

Porcile

Yep. People might wonder what good that does for Sega or Nintendo, but the reality is likely very simple: It keeps Sega's name attached to a high-quality franchise while Nintendo end up paying a little bit less for what is, in all probability, complete exclusivity.

This is a fairly likely scenario I would've thought.

A bit like Nirvana and Sub Pop.

i mean, its bayonetta 2, first game sucked but for some reason it became important to Wii U owners, i guess they are that desperate for software?

Then the meltdowns from others were over nothing? And people today again rushing to Kamiyas twitter again desperately asking for a port

Top Bottom