• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

Has Nintendo ever funded a game's development and not owned the IP?

How did it work with Rare?

edit - I'm guessing they sold the IP's along with their interest back when it happened?

Rare was exactly a Platinum Games situation.

Nintendo had a 49% stake in them, but NOT a controlling stake. All of their games with Nintendo were "funded and published by Nintendo," so they were Nintendo games and weren't coming to PlayStation, but Nintendo didn't own the IP, like Bayonetta 2 or The Wonderful 101 for Platinum.

StuBurns

Banned
You could make a good case that hardcore gamers in some (most?) cases are way more clueless in general...
Also if when the credit roles you see the usual text
"All music ..."
Then it's Nintendo's IP and no one else.
For W101 you've got more chance of seeing Golden Sun on Vita than seeing it ported.
Sega own the IP, if Nintendo buy it before launch or not is yet to be seen, they should, Sega will never use it.
Rare was exactly a Platinum Games situation.

Nintendo had a 49% stake in them, but NOT a controlling stake. All of their games with Nintendo were "funded and published by Nintendo," so they were Nintendo games and weren't coming to PlayStation, but Nintendo didn't own the IP, like Bayonetta 2 or The Wonderful 101 for Platinum.
That's a terrible example, as while they didn't go to PlayStation...

url

Somnid

You could make a good case that hardcore gamers in some (most?) cases are way more clueless in general...

Kinda true. I think they have a general feel for technical things but are completely oblivious/out-of-touch with anyone or anything outside their circle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, I'm not buying a Wii U just for Bayonetta 2. Only way I'll ever play it is if a bunch of other software comes to the system too.
There is already a handful of software for the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 isn't the only game for the system. In fact there's another one in the title of this thread.

Majukun

The only reason I could see a tiny bit of chance that Bayonetta 2 could be eventually ported is because the IP is owned by Sega(/Platinum?). It is possible, although very unlikely given Sega was apparently not interested in a sequel, that Nintendo was so desperate for exclusive content that they agreed to fund it for a timed exclusivity. Nintendo, after all, had a significant hand on Razor's Edge, for what, 3 months of exclusivity?

W101 is a total different situation, though.

they already explained the situation,more then once in fact..nintendo is founding THE ENTIRE GAME.

look as platinum as a temporary second party to nintendo,with the only difference that a third party holds the rights of the franchise and it's getting a share when the game is finished.

isn't this the same as the gears of war franchise?Aren't the rights hold by epic but micorsoft is founding the games?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
since they'd be at sony, they could team up with naughty dog and all be awful together. of course, jason rubin would need to come back to complete the trifecta.
They totally could, last I heard Rubin has a lot of free time now.

Also, this situation reminds me of The Twin Snakes.

There is already a handful of software for the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 isn't the only game for the system. In fact there's another one in the title of this thread.

To some is the only game on the system.

Multiplats have superior versions on systems they own.

Majukun

I think people are right that it'll remain exclusive, but for the wrong reason. We don't know, and we most likely never will, exactly what the contract says, but the publishing rights reverting to Sega seems highly possible. But even if it did, what are they going to do with it? Port it to PS3 and 360? A year after the next console? It wouldn't sell at all, and Sega already don't care about package games beyond a certain threshold. Even if they can port it, they won't.

yeah,because is totally plausible that nintendo will found the entire development,and then give the game to sega to sell it wherever they want

lantus

Man I'm getting some serious deja vu of the PS3 launch with exclusives dwindling to nothing, and it turned into my favorite console this gen. Nintendo will be fine, people just love to exaggerate.

W101 is a Nintendo IP so that was never an issue. Who owns the Bayo IP? Sega or Platinum? Either way I personally don't really for either title though it would cool have Bayo. Really had fun with the first game, great great combat system. Pretty bad environments, story etc though. As is the norm with most Platinum games

Sega owns the Bayonetta IP but that doesn't mean that Bayonetta 2 will be ported since Nintendo is the one is paying for development and publishing the game.

Furthermore it could be possible that Nintendo could pull a Project Zero and buy the IP, since Sega wouldn't be likely to do anything it.

Nintendo published Banjo Kazooie as well, right? How were Rare able to get that on XBLA?

That's because Rare owned the right to Banjo-Kazooie, Nintendo just published the game. So when Microsoft brought Rare they got the IP as well.

Nintendo stole our games and we have the right to play them on the system we currently own

Stole?! They saved the game remember without Nintendo stepping and funding the game development there would be no Bayonetta 2. If you really want to blame someone then blame Microsoft or Sony for not paying to fund the Sequel.

StuBurns

Banned
yeah,because is totally plausible that nintendo will found the entire development,and then give the game to sega to sell it wherever they want
They didn't. They picked it up two years into it's development after being canceled. Sega probably sunk ten million into it, and that had to be compensated in some way.

Also if when the credit roles you see the usual text
"All music ..."
Then it's Nintendo's IP and no one else.
For W101 you've got more chance of seeing Golden Sun on Vita than seeing it ported.

Well make that case when the issue comes up. As for now, bunch of clueless people around here.

They didn't. They picked it up two years into it's development after being canceled. Sega probably sunk ten million into it, and that had to be compensated in some way.

Yes I'm sure whatever Sega had possibly spent is all being worked out with Nintendo. Can we finally stop this bullshit now that we have Kamiya himself confirming the situation? Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 are exclusive to Nintendo and I'm happy for them.

Majukun

for what we know (very little,but at least we have some info),the game was trashed when it was still in concept stage.
if the game was aleady in development for that long,nintendo would have already shown something more complete then the video they shown at the nintendo direct

When the games come out, check the credits.

If "Mario Club Co., Ltd." does the testing, or there are any mention of any senior Nintendo producers (Miyamoto), it's confirmed to stay exclusive.

jett

D-Member
W101 is Nintendo's, but unless Sega gives up the Bayonetta IP there will always be a lingering cloud of doubt. :p

StuBurns

Banned
for what we know (very little,but at least we have some info),the game was trashed when it was still in concept stage.
if the game was aleady in development for that long,nintendo would have already shown something more complete then the video they shown at the nintendo direct
That's obviously not true considering Sega were shopping for a magazine reveal way before it was announced for Wii U.

Not surprising, but a pity nevertheless.

So that's three marks in the WiiU column...X, Bayo & Wonderful. Depending upon the print runs, I might buy the games and still hold out until the WiiU drops in price a year or two down the line.

And in seeing that justification written, I'm now likening Nintendo to a drug dealer in my head. They've got the shit I want, and even though I don't need it, I'm driven by my own compulsion to buy it. Fuck.

That depend on if they actually continued the development or started from scratch when Nintendo stepped in.

I am leaning toward Platinum starting from scratch when Nintendo stepped in.

Majukun

That's obviously not true considering Sega were shopping for a magazine reveal way before it was announced for Wii U.

all i remember are rumors about bayo 2 being announced,no "magazine reveal" announced.
and still it doesn't explain why at the moment they have so little to shown if the game is already at least 2 years and a half in development.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
W101 is Nintendo's, but unless Sega gives up the Bayonetta IP there will always be a lingering cloud of doubt. :p

Bayonetta 2 = Wii U exclusive

Bayonetta 2 Special Edition = PS360 BELIEVE! :p

As much as I'd like to see Bayonetta 2 released on another platform, with Nintendo FUNDING the game, I don't see how that's gonna happen.

But didn't Nintendo put some money into Koei's Sengoku Musou 3 (Samurai Warriors 3)? I thought I read that they funded/provided the game's network functions and it even had a mode based on the old Nintendo-developed Famicom game Nazo no Murasame, with its main character unlockable. Nintendo also published the game outside of Japan.

And although Sengoku Musou 3 did stay Wii-exclusive, that didn't stop Koei from releasing Sengoku Musou 3Z on the PS3 in Japan. They simply removed the Nazo no Murasame mode and character from this version, while adding in the extra characters and features from the (also Japan-only) XL upgrade.

iMerc

Diddy Kong Racing

© 1997 RARE
© 1997 NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.

What's your point?

Uhh, what's yours?
Has diddy kong racing appeared on any other systems other than nintendo ones?

Seriously? we're debating the exclusivity of the DONKEY KONG ip?!

Majukun

As much as I'd like to see Bayonetta 2 released on another platform, with Nintendo FUNDING the game, I don't see how that's gonna happen.

But didn't Nintendo put some money into Koei's Sengoku Musou 3 (Samurai Warriors 3)? I thought I read that they funded/provided the game's network functions and it even had a mode based on the old Nintendo-developed Famicom game Nazo no Murasame, with its main character unlockable. Nintendo also published the game outside of Japan.

And although Sengoku Musou 3 did stay Wii-exclusive, that didn't stop Koei from releasing Sengoku Musou 3Z on the PS3 in Japan. They simply removed the Nazo no Murasame mode and character from this version, while adding in the extra characters and features from the (also Japan-only) XL upgrade.

they subtracted the part nintendo paid for.

in this case,sega should cancel the part nintendo has paid for too ...the entire game.
so if sega want's to make a bayo 2 with his own money,i guess they can.But THIS bayo 2 will stay on a nintendo console.

Porcile

Perhaps they just licensed the technology and IP.

TreIII

They also funded the game's Western localization, if I remember correctly. Therein lies the reason why neither version of Sengoku 3 Z (PS3/PSP) ever made it to the West.

Raist

Banned
Wonderful 101 there's probably no chance, but Bayonetta 2...
I think you should ask Sega, not Nintendo.

kinggroin

Banned
Unless there's a specified clause with regards to the game titles and their assets, I wouldn't expect anything from W101 or B2 to land on anything not the Wii-U.

B3 and W102? Hey now.

Mael

Since it can't turn into a hoverboard how about NO

Nintendo stole our games and we have the right to play them on the system we currently own

That's some heavy....
And now that I've read you reply I actually get what you mean.

Well make that case when the issue comes up. As for now, bunch of clueless people around here.

Considering the size of this thread I think it's safe to say so called Bayo fans show some wonderful support for an IP they loved so much the publisher deemed it unworthy of funding a sequel.
It's basically like if Shenmue 3 is released as a Vita exclusive and the only thing people cry is "Will it come elsewhere?" instead of "Great a new entry is being made".

Some great hypocrites in this thread (and that other one) indeed.

Top Bottom