• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

beast786

because the franchise was already migrating to sony's console,and probably because EA,big as it is,made a really good offer .
plus mass effect one already sold everything he had to sold already when the mass effect 1 came to ps3

so why can't same happen to bayonetta 2 down the road?

Which is the point I replied to. that is is not impossible like many claim because it has been done before.

Realistic expectation is it won't come for a long time if ever. but it can

Mael

Which is the point I replied to. that is is not impossible like many claim because it has been done before.

Because EA wasn't broke and Sega is?

Why you guys worry about this? Bayonetta 2 is exclusive. Bayonetta 3 is not.

-but then again I have a feeling that the game will bomb and franchise ending up dead-

Depends on who's funding Bayonetta 3.
If Nintendo funds it, then it's the same situation; if they don't, then it will most likely come out for all platforms.

Majukun

EA didn't buy anything from MS.

A publisher gets the rights to publish something that is not their own creation in a specific context. eg, MS and Mass Effect (A bioware and then EA IP) on the 360.
The only case in which EA would have had to buy anything from MS is if they wanted to republish the game on the 360 themselves. That's it.

It's just like stuff based on books. Someone wanting to make a game based on a book doesn't get the rights to do so from the publisher of a movie adaptation but from the book's author. And the owner of the rights for movie distribution doesn't have anything to say about that game.

it works the other way too.
the author of the book doesn't have control over the film that was made using the rights he sold.marvel doesn't have control over the avengers movie,Rowling doesn't have control over all the harry potter's film.
at the same time,SEga doesn't have control over the game nintendo made using his franchise,they just get paid for it,like it always happen.

Mael

Sega isn't broke...

They're so rolling in the cash that they stopped developping all games not Sonic/Football Manager/few others.
Even the minimal work to make a port work is probably not something Sega would deem worth the effort.

Raxus

It was published by EA. Bayonetta 2 is published by Nintendo IIRC. It is similar to demanding Halo Reach going to Sony and Nintendo. Why can't they? After all Bungie is 'Third Party' now.

If you want to play Bayonetta 2 then you need to play it on the WiiU. If you want Bayonetta brand to survive than at least buy Bayonetta 2.

Majukun

1)because sega is not as big as Ea,so they cannot make a "good offer",for a game they didn't want to fund in the first place nonetheless

2)because nintendo doesn't seems like the kind of company to do something like this

anyway,it all goes back to what kamiya said,you want bayo 2 on 360/ps3/ps4/durango?ask nintendo

NotLiquid

Sega isn't broke...

They're not broke but they were hemorrhaging money like a motherfucker, hence why they ditched Bayonetta 2, delayed Anarchy Reigns, cancelled a bunch of titles and refocused all packaged titles on main franchises while restructuring and going more digital.

Whatever money they get from Bayonetta 2 probably won't be much either since it's only IP/copyright stuff, but their input on that is minimal enough that it's rather risk free I presume. I doubt they'd get much from undertaking their own post-launch remake due to the whole "post-launch ports don't get much" mentality and Sega probably not banking much on advertising.

Off Topic I know but do we even know if Microsoft actually owned the Mass Effect 1 IP or was it like a Gears of War situation? There's no legal reason stopping Epic from putting it on any Sony or Nintendo consoles. If not then I assume EA just never took the time to port it until recently.

evangd007

Has this thread really devolved into a discussion about whether Bayonetta 2 will go to other platforms 5 years after its release?

People aren't saying it can't. People are saying that its up to Nintendo and since Nintendo is in direct competition with Microsoft/Sony (unlike EA, who's best interest was putting it on multiple platforms and making the maxiumum amount of money.) they probably wont ever let it happen. There's no benefit in Nintendo letting an exclusive game go multiplatform.

Microsoft let Mass Effect go multi platform because EA was going to publish all the sequels everywhere anyway and they probably paid a lot of money to Microsoft to do it. And considering that Sega already planned on making a 360/PS3 version and then cancelled it because it wouldn't make them enough, people seriously doubt that all of the sudden that Bayo 2 will sell a crazy amount on those systems.

Its not like Mass Effect because those games were going to get made anyway, this game literally wouldn't have been made if not for Nintendo and it doesn't make any sense that Sega will all of the sudden find it profitable to pay off Nintendo so they can put it out on consoles it already cancelled the game on.

Raist

Banned
it works the other way too.
the author of the book doesn't have control over the film that was made using the rights he sold.marvel doesn't have control over the avengers movie,Rowling doesn't have control over all the harry potter's film.
at the same time,SEga doesn't have control over the game nintendo made using his franchise,they just get paid for it,like it always happen.

Yes, Sega doesn't have any control on Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU. Unless they buy the publishing rights from Nintendo.

Again, unless there was an explicit absolute exclusivity deal in their contract, there is nothing preventing Sega to ask Platinum or any other dev to port Bayo 2 to any platform they please except the WiiU.

It was published by EA. Bayonetta 2 is published by Nintendo IIRC. It is similar to demanding Halo Reach going to Sony and Nintendo. Why can't they? After all Bungie is 'Third Party' now.

Because the Halo IP belongs to Microsoft Studios.

Mael

Yes, Sega doesn't have any control on Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU. Unless they buy the publishing rights from Nintendo.

Again, unless there was an explicit absolute exclusivity deal in their contract, there is nothing preventing Sega to ask Platinum or any other dev to port Bayo 2 to any platform they please except the WiiU.

Actually Sammy might have a word to say about that

Hopefully these stay Wii U exclusive.

They'll be good incentives for Platinum fans to get a Wii U. It needs some 3rd party exclusives.

StuBurns

Banned
Its not like Mass Effect because those games were going to get made anyway, this game literally wouldn't have been made if not for Nintendo and it doesn't make any sense that Sega will all of the sudden find it profitable to pay off Nintendo so they can put it out on consoles it already cancelled the game on.
That's kind of illogical. Sega must be getting something out of this deal. At the very least, it's just license fees for using the Bayonetta name, at the most it's complete reversion of all publishing rights after an exclusive period. It could be either, or more likely something in the middle.

Sega don't give a shit that Bayo 2 was cancelled, they're not a charity, they don't give up a partially built game because it's for the good of the gaming community.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey man, They made one, then a few years later they make a new one. Following this trend, it's inevitable!
These people should watch Mitsudomoe and get back to me.

ibfvVQUTNjtSWv.png

That's kind of illogical. Sega must be getting something out of this deal. At the very least, it's just license fees for using the Bayonetta name, at the most it's complete reversion of all publishing rights after an exclusive period. It could be either, or more likely something in the middle.

Sega don't give a shit that Bayo 2 was cancelled, they're not a charity, they don't give up a partially built game because it's for the good of the gaming community.
What? That's not what I was saying at all. It just doesn't make sense that Sega would decide to not make Bayo 2 for 360/PS3 because they didn't think it would sell enough, and then would pay Nintendo to let them port it over (and pay the costs to port it) to the systems they didn't think it would sell on.

Mael

Well they can ask themselves if they want to do it yeah. That'd be entertaining to watch.

I meant that the beans counter might have something to say, you know the same people who slashed all the projects and said that Sega was doing Sonic/Football Manager and dl only stuffs?
These people will not fund a port of Bayo2

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, people actually want these games?
Yep. People want games that you don't like. How dare they think different. I bet they don't even buy Apple products and yet live life by that slogan. I for one bought Wii Music. I bet you hate me for that.

Did Bayonetta really not sell that well?

I thought the sales figures were decent.

It hit a million but I imagine a large bulk of that was budget-priced.

Bayonetta 2 just came at a bad time in Sega's life and their restructuring plans did not include what they wanted to do with that game.

StuBurns

Banned
What? That's not what I was saying at all. It just doesn't make sense that Sega would decide to not make Bayo 2 for 360/PS3 because they didn't think it would sell enough, and then would pay Nintendo to let them port it over (and pay the costs to port it) to the systems they didn't think it would sell on.
Exactly, my point was for all we know, the reason Nintendo are allowed to have Platinum finish the game is in return of having the finished game available to Sega to publish at a later date.

mooooose

People are fucking dumb if they can't realize Nintendo is paying for the development of these games and publishing them. W101 is probably a Nintendo IP. I honestly hope the games do well and Nintendo picks up a big share in Platinum and we see more collaborations between them. I love the idea of Platinum doing games like Vanquish, MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, but the idea of Platinum games working with Nintendo properties or bringing those to Nintendo platforms with the Nintendo development cycle (the money and time Platinum games has clearly been lacking with ALL their releases thus far), it would benefit both greatly.

Platinum Games is one of the few Japanese studios that "get it". And "getting it" is priceless.

SmokeMaxX

They're so rolling in the cash that they stopped developping all games not Sonic/Football Manager/few others.
Even the minimal work to make a port work is probably not something Sega would deem worth the effort.

They're not broke but they were hemorrhaging money like a motherfucker, hence why they ditched Bayonetta 2, delayed Anarchy Reigns, cancelled a bunch of titles and refocused all packaged titles on main franchises while restructuring and going more digital.

Whatever money they get from Bayonetta 2 probably won't be much either since it's only IP/copyright stuff, but their input on that is minimal enough that it's rather risk free I presume. I doubt they'd get much from undertaking their own post-launch remake due to the whole "post-launch ports don't get much" mentality and Sega probably not banking much on advertising.

Exactly. They weren't broke, they just decided to be smart and not risk their money on uncertain futures. You can pour money into a Sonic game and you'll almost definitely get a good return on investment. Or you can pour money into Madworld, Conduit, and House of the Dead: Overkill and lose all your money. I respect them for publishing those games, but noone bought them (well, except me).

Exactly, my point was for all we know, the reason Nintendo are allowed to have Platinum finish the game is in return of having the finished game available to Sega to publish at a later date.
Oh I'm not one of the ones saying it will never be multi platform. I'm just saying its up to Nintendo and that it doesn't make sense for how Bayo 2's development has gone for Sega to even want to bother putting it on 360/PS3. They'd probably have to pay Nintendo and then pay the costs to port it to PS3/360, which are on their way out.

Maybe they could port it to next Gen consoles for a digital release or something, but if they never even thought it would be profitable in the first place I don't see why they'd go through all this.

StuBurns

Banned
well I'll be buying w-101 with my wii U, not sure about bayo as I've never been a fan of the genre
Why is that? Not that Bayonetta was some huge diversion for the genre, but it's possible it'd be more your cup of tea than other entries.

Also, W101 looks pretty similar to Bayonetta really, it's still a 'character action game', just in very unorthodox packaging.

Wait, people actually want these games?

Wow. Just don't click on Nintendo threads. If you can't see the fun in an amazing looking co-op action game(with great characters, an epic story and even some humour) with elements designed from the ground up for Wii U or the sequel to basically the perfect action combat game from the creators of Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry and Okami then just don't say anything. Sorry people like games you don't.

People are fucking dumb if they can't realize Nintendo is paying for the development of these games and publishing them. W101 is probably a Nintendo IP. I honestly hope the games do well and Nintendo picks up a big share in Platinum and we see more collaborations between them. I love the idea of Platinum doing games like Vanquish, MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, but the idea of Platinum games working with Nintendo properties or bringing those to Nintendo platforms with the Nintendo development cycle (the money and time Platinum games has clearly been lacking with ALL their releases thus far), it would benefit both greatly.

Platinum Games is one of the few Japanese studios that "get it". And "getting it" is priceless.

Another thing they've got is my cash. It's just a question of them turning up to take it from me at some point and giving me some games in return. Soon, soon, oh yes.

From the sound of it, they don't have control over Bayonetta 2 in general. If they did a "Bayonetta 2: Climax/Sigma/Razor's Edge Edition they would have to do that on their own dime from the ground up, which probably won't happen because it they would have just published Bayonetta 2 in the first place.

Majukun

Because the Halo IP belongs to Microsoft Studios.

bayo 2 on wii u and a bayo 2 on 360 are THE SAME GAME.
just because something is "ported" that doesn't make it a different game.

so no,sega has no power over bayo 2 in general,so he can't port it anywhere.

they do ahev the right to make a bayo 3,or to use the bayo franchise again,but that is all.

Why is that? Not that Bayonetta was some huge diversion for the genre, but it's possible it'd be more your cup of tea than other entries.

Also, W101 looks pretty similar to Bayonetta really, it's still a 'character action game', just in very unorthodox packaging.

I'll give you that it's a "character action game" in a loose sense but The Wonderful 101 is different in many key ways. Although it hasn't been shown off much, co-op is going to be a huge part of this game. I feel there might even be some fun competitive stuff as well. Although I can also see Bayonetta 2 bringing in some co-op of a sort with that second character popping up in the teaser trailer and with the Gamepad being great for co-op.

Top Bottom