• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

ArjanN

They've always been there.
What's infuriating is that in a few years Wii will be looked again fondly and I'll be left wondering where the hell these people were when it was being ripped a new one.
It's still the only console that can play La Mulana after all.

Eh, it was basically another Nintendo console you only turned on for the core Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda. A far cry from something like the NES or SNES.

The main problem was a lack of third party support and I'm not convinced at all they've turned that around with the Wii U.

This is just like with Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, which was also funded with Nintendo money.
And that still didn't come out on other consoles (except for a few speech samples that found their way into MGS4).

Since W101 and Bayo2 are in the same "funded by Nintendo money" bag. So there's pretty much no chance these games will come out on other consoles that are not by Nintendo.

The only possibilities where MS got money out of EA are:
1) EA wanted to publish it on the 360 as well (that'd be stupid)
Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Box-Art-1041428.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You mean port beggars?

You see port begging all the time when a game is announced. "Is this coming to Steam?" etc etc.

Just not around here ;)

I was just saying that there were probably people out there who didn't know that it was actually Nintendo who was ponying up the cash for this whole thing and why those games are pretty much guaranteed to never show up on other consoles.

params7

Banned
Really want to play Bayo 2 but I'm not going to buy a console for it. Maybe 5-10 years from now it will end up getting ported to other consoles somehow..I'll play it then I guess.

HYDE

Banned
I just want Bayonetta to farm Gold Mario coins in this one instead of Gold Sonic rings. Also many other portions of nostalgia toward other Nintendo properties. A lot of Zelda stuff could work in Bayonetta...hoover or magnet boots, among many other things. A Starfox section, Punch-Out style boss, etc...Don't count out the awesomeness that is Metroid either.

Nemesis_

How so? There were probably a decent number of people out there that didn't know that it was actually Nintendo that were funding and publishing those games.

The question has been asked and answered hundreds of times in every single Wii U thread. It's getting a bit ridiculous and I see how people are getting annoyed with it continually being asked.

And I see as I write this another one has gone up about Lego City.

I just want Bayonetta to farm Gold Mario coins in this one instead of Gold Sonic rings.

I never considered them a nod to Sonic, although it does work. They are meant to be the Halos of the angels you are killing. :3

The question has been asked and answered hundreds of times in every single Wii U thread. It's getting a bit ridiculous and I see how people are getting annoyed with it continually being asked.

I said this in a different thread (which was then immediately followed up by "YOU don't KNOW it's not coming to every other console!") but it reminds me of MGS4.

Every damn thread, "It's definitely coming to another console"

Azure J

Is port begging not bannable anymore? I've been seeing a lot of it this week.

I'm actually surprised Duckroll hasn't come out of nowhere and sprung the most impressive honey trap seen on GAF yet.

(Most impressive in my 5 year experience here anyway, and I was at Ground Zero for Epic Mickey-gate.)

RMI

Banned
Best news all week! I was certain that this would be the case for Wonderful 101, as it will likely have a lot of elements that require the GamePad, but that's good news for Bayonetta 2. Sega had their fucking chance to publish Bayonetta 2 multiplatform and they BLEW it. GOOD ON NINTENDO for funding development of a game the fans dearly want. A smart move for them, and also very promising for future collaboration with Platinum, an amazing studio.

PopeReal

Really want to play Bayo 2 but I'm not going to buy a console for it. Maybe 5-10 years from now it will end up getting ported to other consoles somehow..I'll play it then I guess.

So you really want to play a game but you refuse to buy the console to play that game? Why would a gamer deprive them self?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

And I see as I write this another one has gone up about Lego City.
Yea, it should be known around here that port begging is a big no-no. I was more thinking about the people out there who were asking Kamiya who don't come here or really keep up with this kind of detail about publishing, funding, etc.

joe2187

Banned
So you really want to play a game but you refuse to buy the console to play that game? Why would a gamer deprive them self?

Because consoles are expensive? because maybe they dont find the console or it's features appealing? Or that they just flat out dont like the Wii U?

PopeReal

Because consoles are expensive? because maybe they dont find the console or it's features appealing? Or that they just flat out dont like the Wii U?

I have always bought consoles to play the games. What other point is there? Are consoles expensive? Yes. But how could you want to play a game but not because you don't like the console? It is the console that is playing the game. If I like a song I am going to put it on my MP3 player, regardless of how I "feel" about the MP3 player.

I guess I just don't get it. If people want to play a game but refuse to they certainly have that right.

TDLink

Once you're in the working world consoles really aren't that expensive at all. In fact getting a console is often seen as a low-cost alternative to getting a high end computer to game on. If you do have a high end computer it kind of kills the reasons to have consoles aside from their exclusives. Therefore the main reasons to get a console are the exclusive games on them that won't come to PC and their low cost.

Flat out not liking a console (such as the Wii U) is another topic all together and frankly pretty immature and baseless. If it has games you want that you can't get elsewhere then buy the system.

joe2187

Banned
I have always bought consoles to play the games. What other point is there? Are consoles expensive? Yes. But how could you want to play a game but not because you don't like the console? It is the console that is playing the game. If I like a song I am going to put it on my MP3 player, regardless of how I "feel" about the MP3 player.

I guess I just don't get it. If people want to play a game but refuse to they certainly have that right.

What if that song was only available and only worked on a certain MP3 player, it's not really a good analogy since the formats arent similar.

An MP3 is available on nearly every device, where as WiiU software is only available on WiiU, therefore even though I would like to play a game, I would also have to buy a WiiU, even though the only incentive for me to buy a WiiU is just a single game and nothing else?

Pffft whahaahahaaha Oh man I find it so funny that the cover says that Mass Effect 3 is better with the kinect sensor.
Well they have to put that there since Mass Effect 3 is the only game in the series that has Kinect functionality. Plus Microsoft requires it on every game that uses it.

PopeReal

What if that song was only available and only worked on a certain MP3 player, it's not really a good analogy since the formats arent similar.

An MP3 is available on nearly every device, where as WiiU software is only available on WiiU, therefore even though I would like to play a game, I would also have to buy a WiiU, even though the only incentive for me to buy a WiiU is just a single game and nothing else?

Good point. MP3 player is a bad anology. And if that is the only game then it would make sense. I am just guessing if you like Bayonnetta then other games will be on the system at some point that you like too. Time will tell.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yes, Sega doesn't have any control on Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU. Unless they buy the publishing rights from Nintendo.

Again, unless there was an explicit absolute exclusivity deal in their contract, there is nothing preventing Sega to ask Platinum or any other dev to port Bayo 2 to any platform they please except the WiiU.

You're being extremely generous to the notion that the Bayonetta 2 contract has no clause preventing SEGA from porting the game, that this is something possibly overlooked or allowed by Nintendo, and seemingly implying it would be unlikely that Nintendo would pursue such a clause. And that just sounds a bit silly to me, putting far to much value on the fact SEGA legally owns the "Bayonetta" IP, as if this gives them total authority over whatever is happening with Bayonetta 2.

It's entirely possible that there's no clause in the contract stopping SEGA from issuing a Bayonetta 2 port to other platforms, but it's also possible that there is. It's not a simple as someone owning the IP and thus controlling all the games. Whoever is in ownership of the content within Bayonetta 2 plays a role in deciding where the software goes. Look at something like Rare's Goldeneye for where multi-publisher IP ownership becomes messy and isn't as simple as one dude calling all the shots.

It's entirely possible that there's no clause in the contract stopping SEGA from issuing a Bayonetta 2 port to other platforms, but it's also possible that there is. It's not a simple as someone owning the IP and thus controlling all the games. Whoever is in ownership of the content within Bayonetta 2 plays a role in deciding where the software goes. Look at something like Rare's Goldeneye for where multi-publisher IP ownership becomes messy and isn't as simple as one dude calling all the shots.

Maybe they can get some advice from Shinji Mikami based off of what happened with RE4 lol.

At least REmake and RE:0 stayed exclusive to the Nintendo platform. Never thought those titles would not appear on at least a Sony console.

SmokeMaxX

If you want to play a Nintendo game, buy a Nintendo. It's that simple. Bayonetta 2 was paid for by Nintendo making it a ____ game. I'll give you a clue, what goes in that blank is not 360 or PS3.
You're being extremely generous to the notion that the Bayonetta 2 contract has no clause preventing SEGA from porting the game, that this is something possibly overlooked or allowed by Nintendo, and seemingly implying it would be unlikely that Nintendo would pursue such a clause. And that just sounds a bit silly to me, putting far to much value on the fact SEGA legally owns the "Bayonetta" IP, as if this gives them total authority over whatever is happening with Bayonetta 2.

Exactly. This is the company that practically hires assassins if you break their NDA. I find it difficult to believe that they'd finance a game and then hand it over to Sony or Microsoft to keep people from buying their system. Nintendo is strange at times, but they're definitely not stupid.

dan2026

Flat out not liking a console (such as the Wii U) is another topic all together and frankly pretty immature and baseless.

How is not liking the Wii U for all its myriad of problems baseless?

- The bad account system and online issues
- The random lockups and freezes and loading times generally dodgy operating system.
- The ton of terrible game ports that barely run

SmokeMaxX

- The random lockups and freezes and loading times generally dodgy operating system.

1) Account system kinda sucks. As it is now, it's very frustrating- but it's very easy to see how the issue that people are having (accounts tied to system) can be fixed in an OS update. I don't know what other online issues it has though.
2) I've never had my WiiU randomly lock up on me, but I already know that can be frustrating. That's a valid point. Loading times are VERY annoying. But dodgy OS? The OS is fine; it's just slow.
3) Which ports "barely run"? Most of them run at least as well as the PS3 version, with about half doing better than the PS3 version. There might be a few that run worse than both, but that's the minority not the majority.

dan2026

3) Which ports "barely run"? Most of them run at least as well as the PS3 version, with about half doing better than the PS3 version. There might be a few that run worse than both, but that's the minority not the majority.

Batman and Epic Mickey II spring to mind.
But I know there are more.

Granted Epic Mickey II is a crap game either way.

Raist

Banned

Well that's basically what I've been saying. Of course it's possible that's in the contract.
I just don't get why people still think that it can't happen "because Nintendo is publishing". Things like this have happened all the time, and given that this is all we know about it, we can't absolutely refute a port to other systems.

SmokeMaxX

You can't blame WiiU for Batman. No system can push this many polygons:

And did Epic Micky 2 play well on any system? I know it's a terrible game either way, but I thought it also had performance issues on all systems. I could be wrong if it was just quick-ported to WiiU.

NotLiquid

With all this talk about the "can" and "can not", I'm still even debating whether or not Sega would even be the kind of company to do a re-release on another platform that late after release. I mean we talk a lot about the Mass Effects and Ninja Gaidens, but those are companies who we'd sort of kind of expect that kind of practice from.

The only time I ever recall Sega doing anything such as a re-release was with the Sonic Adventure series where the sequel got released so late into the lifespan that it quickly had to be salvaged when they went third party.

wsippel

Banned
He says "It's exclusive to Nintendo because it's published by Nintendo".
Not "because Nintendo owns it".

People really don't seem to understand the difference.
There's also a difference between owning an IP and owning a particular entry in said IP. Nintendo might not own the Bayonetta IP, but that doesn't mean they don't own Bayonetta 2.

SmokeMaxX

With all this talk about the "can" and "can not", I'm still even debating whether or not Sega would even be the kind of company to do a re-release on another platform that late after release. I mean we talk a lot about the Mass Effects and Ninja Gaidens, but those are companies who we'd sort of kind of expect that kind of practice from.

The only time I ever recall Sega doing anything such as a re-release was with the Sonic Adventure series where the sequel got released so late into the lifespan that it quickly had to be salvaged when they went third party.

Sega wouldn't do it unless it's guaranteed to make money. I guess a port wouldn't be too expensive, but I'd imagine they'd have to buy back the rights to do that from Nintendo which wouldn't be cheap.

Domstercool

Well that's basically what I've been saying. Of course it's possible that's in the contract.
I just don't get why people still think that it can't happen "because Nintendo is publishing". Things like this have happened all the time, and given that this is all we know about it, we can't absolutely refute a port to other systems.

Thing is though "Nintendo is publishing" is different from "Nintendo is publishing and putting in their own money to help development."

We get companies publishing games in other territories to help developers. Square-Enix publishes CoD in Japan, Nintendo is helping some companies publish and distribute games in Europe, making them a publisher, but not one that put money into those products to build.

Rare is a bit different since Nintendo did sign off all Rare's own IPs to go with them to MS.

I would however suggest; there is no multiplatform clause. At all.
There is however a clause that states that Nintendo own the publishing rights to Bayonetta 2 and SEGA just gets royalties. This will include any assets created during the development period.

Platinum gets a budget meanwhile and profits in the success on the games sales.
I doubt the contract discusses platforms as it doesn't need to; its about Platinum producing a game for Nintendo and SEGA is due some royalties from any profits associated with the sales.

SEGA will not own any of the assets created. Thats the contract between Nintendo and Platinum, the type of contract that Nintendo has well enough experience signing and the type of contract thats frequent in the industry.

dan2026

And did Epic Micky 2 play well on any system? I know it's a terrible game either way, but I thought it also had performance issues on all systems. I could be wrong if it was just quick-ported to WiiU.

As soon as you use the paint on Wii U the game slows to about 10fps (or lower)

I have nothing against the Wii U on principal, but its going to take a lot more than Bayonetta to convince me to get one.

I am all hyped up for the PS4 Nextbox. Getting a Wii U now would feel like going backwards.
Graphics aren't everything of course, but it feels like Nintendo are a generation behind in all of their thinking.

TDLink

I don't actually own a Wii U yet (but I will get one once at least one of these games come out plus the price is a bit lower) so I can't completely comment on these issues with any certainty. Those first two issues are definitely fixable with firmware updates though and as far as I'm aware there are already plans to do just that so they are temporary problems.

In regards to the "ton of terrible game ports that barely run", I'm not really sure on this. The big ones I have seen complaints about are Batman, Epic Mickey, and Mass Effect. Those are all third party games, and I am sure we are all aware at this point how third parties like to treat Nintendo. Even if that isn't the real reason, new systems always have some growing pains with new developers. My general point here is I wouldn't really say a system is shit for now and all time due to some third parties releasing some lazy and shoddy ports at the launch of a system. That also ignores some of the ports that are supposedly not as problematic at all as well as upcoming ones which we don't even know about yet. Plus, either way this point is moot when it comes to these games as they are Nintendo first-party and Nintendo most certainly will not allow shoddy games to release with their name attached to them.

Overall the problems with Wii U (especially if these 3 reasons you have outlined are the main ones) seem pretty minor all things considered. We know absolutely nothing about the still unrevealed systems when it comes to things like this so it seems foolish when people proclaim they want one of these games but won't buy a Wii U for them.

Im currently playing Batman on Wii U. While it has some framerate issues they arent has bad as some make it out to be. The game is very playable. It has all the dlc content, gamepad features and better graphics. Im having a blast with the game.

Is "I deserve to play games without buying the hardware" new to this generation or what? Is it a result of Dolphin making buying Wii games without Wii hardware possible? The sharing of most third party titles from PS3 and 360?

I've been gaming for a long time but I simply can not recall when people were so firm in their belief that you should not have to buy a system to play games on it.

SmokeMaxX

As soon as you use the paint on Wii U the game slows to about 10fps (or lower)

I have nothing against the Wii U on principal, but its going to take a lot more than Bayonetta to convince me to get one.

I am all hyped up for the PS4 Nextbox. Getting a Wii U now would feel like going backwards.
Graphics aren't everything of course, but it feels like Nintendo are a generation behind in all of their thinking.

Honestly I'd at least try out the WiiU. It's not for everyone, but I sold a lot of my 360 games and got the WiiU version instead. The convenience factor is too much to ignore. I can play my games when I want, where I want and don't have to stop playing even if I have to change rooms. Nintendo does things differently- doesn't mean they're behind. Graphically, they're not as strong- but their systems offer something that the other consoles can't.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is "I deserve to play games without buying the hardware" new to this generation or what? Is it a result of Dolphin making buying Wii games without Wii hardware possible? The sharing of most third party titles from PS3 and 360?

I've been gaming for a long time but I simply can not recall when people were so firm in their belief that you should not have to buy a system to play games on it.

Resident Evil 4 didn't get this kind of reaction when it was an exclusive?

I figured this Bayonetta reaction is a combination of a former PS360 title becoming an exclusive Nintendo release like that game

but also that it's an exclusive for a console that no one really owned at the time it was announced, while the GC had been out lie 3-4 years prior to RE4's release

Which is why the responses are the way they are.

That's my theory anyways

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
RE3 wasn't the finest game of its type ever created.

Still sold way more copies than Bayonetta though

So I'm sure people cared about the sequel being on GC exclusively at the time

Top Bottom