• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

ColdPizza

Banned
it really depends on the type of sausage, and the cook temp. I just monitor them and take them off when they look like they are about to crack, or if a part of them has already cracked.

For johnsonville italian sausages for instance, at 225 i leave them on for about 30-45 minutes.

Sounds about what my experience is as well...about 30-45 min for raw italian sausage, and I'll take internal temp anywhere form 160-170. What you get is a nice red sausage with some snap (yes, red!) that still has all the fat inside without the casing getting punctured.

ColdPizza

Banned
This was a flat. The meat actually wasn't totally overdone, the pit barrel tends to just cook faster than traditional smokers.

That said - I live in NYC so I pay 55 bux for a 5 lb flat, no Walmarts near me.

Yah man, unless you're doing a full packer...flats are just incredibly difficult to not dry out. Damn city prices.

SOME-MIST

did some smoking over the weekend with a buddy but did some prep on my own a 24-48 hours before. ribs over 7 hours, pork butt over 14. sausage and chicken for an hour during the process.

the baby back ribs look like a mess because when we picked them up to let them cool off, it all fell apart. the pork back ribs stayed together but didn't turn out as well. the pulled pork we made was by far the best. cherry and apricot wood.

12646938_986357779544_5517005356690666603_n.jpg

it really depends on the type of sausage, and the cook temp. I just monitor them and take them off when they look like they are about to crack, or if a part of them has already cracked.

For johnsonville italian sausages for instance, at 225 i leave them on for about 30-45 minutes.

Sounds about what my experience is as well...about 30-45 min for raw italian sausage, and I'll take internal temp anywhere form 160-170. What you get is a nice red sausage with some snap (yes, red!) that still has all the fat inside without the casing getting punctured.

Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on making a smoked pulled pork shoulder and some sausages. Guess I can throw the sausages in at the tail end of cooking for the pork shoulder.

andycapps

Alright...here's your other problem...

What kind of brisket are you getting that's only 4-5 pounds?

It usually takes me 6+ hours to reach 160-170 on a 13lb brisket at 250. I'm afraid your cut of meat is too small for the bark to set before the meat is completely overdone.

Do you have access to a Walmart that has a grocery section? You can find a Select (and sometimes choice) full packer brisket anywhere between 13-18 pounds for about $40.

You can't get full packers anywhere that I've found in Columbus, OH unless you're going to a butcher. I've only seen flats and points, separately.

Thanks, there were a lot of great tips in this thread. I actually used butcher paper instead of foil, and WOW. Its 10000x better - didn't have that wet/soggy feel, heated up just as quickly, and kept in the juices just as well.

In fact, I dried it out a little because it heated up faster than I was expecting. Will never foil again, I wrapped it in butcher paper once the bark was set around 185 degrees btw.
Good one! You cant fake the funk

ColdPizza

Banned
You can't get full packers anywhere that I've found in Columbus, OH unless you're going to a butcher. I've only seen flats and points, separately.

Not even Walmart?

Have you tried going to a butcher and asking if they can order from their distributor for you?

What about wholesale clubs like Sam's, Costco, or BJ's? Find a friend or connection with a tax id and go to Restaurant Depot.

Chris R

7lb butt been on for 90 minutes now. Biggest butt I've ever done, hope it doesn't take too long.

Also, first time trying this when its below freezing outside lol.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
7lb butt been on for 90 minutes now. Biggest butt I've ever done, hope it doesn't take too long.

lols unless you plan on foiling, i wouldn't plan on eating that thing today. Good luck to you.

Chris R

Just powered through the stall, no foil so far.

Planning on three hours more. And maybe it wasn't 7lb since the temp check I just did put it higher than I thought it would be at this point. Targeting 203F.

ColdPizza

Banned
Going to be nice in Buffalo tomorrow (47 in Feburary, not bad), so I'm going to do a shoulder tomorrow.

Running 2 chimneys of hot coals with the vents all the way open to burn off any crud and mold and scrape it down in the morning.

Cleaned off my grates as best I could in my utility sink. Might invest in a power washer this spring.

Also made some pickled red onions to eat with my pulled pork.

ColdPizza

Banned

If your bark is set, don't be afraid to finish it in your oven, foil or no foil.

One of my neighbors must be doing an overnight smoke, smelling some good smoking wood right now (unless it's someone's fire place).

The Llama

So I recently purchased a condo in Philly that has a really small backyard, and this thread always makes me ridiculously hungry so I need to get into proper BBQing. Is the Weber original kettle still the way to go? I can spend a little more than that (maybe up to like $300?) if there's something that's worth it. Really just looking for versatility and use of ease, I guess.

ColdPizza

Banned
So I recently purchased a condo in Philly that has a really small backyard, and this thread always makes me ridiculously hungry so I need to get into proper BBQing. Is the Weber original kettle still the way to go? I can spend a little more than that (maybe up to like $300?) if there's something that's worth it. Really just looking for versatility and use of ease, I guess.

Kettle is probably the way to go if you want to also use it as a grill on other occasions.

I mean, I prefer the WSM so I wouldn't have to tinker on my kettle, and that's around your $300 price point, but then you wouldn't really be able to grill on it.

Depends what you want.

The Llama

Jesus... all of this. I need to get out of apartments...

Hahaha I know, right? Last 3 years I was on the 2nd floor in a ~400 square foot studio. Needless to say, I am ecstatic to have a condo with a backyard now, even if it is only like 20 square feet!

Kettle is probably the way to go if you want to also use it as a grill on other occasions.

I mean, I prefer the WSM so I wouldn't have to tinker on my kettle, and that's around your $300 price point, but then you wouldn't really be able to grill on it.

Depends what you want.

Dang I wasn't even aware of the WSM but it looks awesome. The 14" is only $200 too. Might be worth it to pick that up and a separate propane grill just for grilling.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I was too lazy to make anything other that pulled pork...but man, I want to do something different next time. Someone shoot me some crazy rub ideas, like Mexican inspired or something.

Next time you do one after you have it pulled in the pan toss in some taco seasoning and mix it around. Don't use a lot though. Makes great tacos.

mkenyon

Banned
I was too lazy to make anything other that pulled pork...but man, I want to do something different next time. Someone shoot me some crazy rub ideas, like Mexican inspired or something.
This is the rub I use, but slightly altered to my preferences

Coffee-chipotle rub
Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup of finely ground dark coffee
1/4 cup paprika (smoked is preferred but regular is fine)
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons allspice

zbarron

I just cooked ribs for the first time. They were baby backs and came out phenomenal. I'm not sure if this is taken kindly here but I cooked them sous vide and finished them on the grill. Not sure if you all consider that BBQ.

It was This Recipe. I switched out the rub with Meathead's Memphis Dust Rub that I added salt to. They spent 10 hours rubbed and vacuum sealed with 4 decent squirts of hickory liquid smoke, 11 hours at 165*F in the water bath and then about 20 minutes on my Smokey Joe Silver charring a little and getting glazed.

It was a smashing success. The one rack fed four people and we all loved it. As sides we had boiled red skin potatoes that were finished on the grill, sweet horseradish pickles, cole slaw, corn and it was served with extra sauce for dipping. There is a full pint mason jar of left over dry rub and plenty of BBQ sauce left. Looks like I'll have to make more BBQ flavored things in the future.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
H town GAF where's a good place to get split logs of post oak? My old source went tits up and I'll be getting my stick burner back soon.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Finally got the opportunity to try my hand at pastrami from beginning to end with a brisket flat. I followed Meathead's recipe except I ended up boiling it at the end. The spice rub is really heavy on the black pepper, and next time I make it I'm dialing it back some.

After a 10 day brine and 2 days with the spice rub, it was ready to go in the smoke.

2 or 3 hours in :

Right before taking it off and putting it in a steamer :

I didn't get a very good bark on it but it was only in the smoke for 5ish hours until it stalled, and that's when it is supposed to go in the steamer according to the directions. This is the make-shift steamer I made using a metal bowl and pizza screen. I used a cast iron pot and induction cook top to keep the heat steady at 212F. After a while I just let it simmer in it's own liquid until it was done.

I don't remember how long it took to finish, I just took it out of the pot when it was tender. And here's the finished product :

The flavor was really good, even though it was a little heavy on the pepper. The fat softened up nicely to the point you could either tear it off or eat it if you wanted to. I put a nice sear on the meat before covering it with swiss cheese and putting it under the broiler. The half-assed Ruben I made with it was amazing! 10/10 will make again.

zbarron

I am coming over, I am eating that, and you better have some rye bread by the time I arrive.

Damn that looks amazing. I can't imagine waiting that long for pastrami. It was obviously good but would you say it was worth the time and effort vs. going to a deli or something?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I am coming over, I am eating that, and you better have some rye bread by the time I arrive.

Damn that looks amazing. I can't imagine waiting that long for pastrami. It was obviously good but would you say it was worth the time and effort vs. going to a deli or something?

It really wasn't a lot of work, just waiting for the meat to cure in the brine. Smoking it and steaming it were a breeze. Whatever we have left over gets vacuum sealed and frozen so next time we want some I just have to thaw it out :)

Besides I don't have a deli near me that makes it like that. I'd probably have to go downtown to find one.

PBY

Banned
uDz02UM.jpg

Made some chicken yesterday. Was pretty great actually, and surprisingly easy.

Kinda screwed up when separating it in half - any tips on that end?

edit: the pork above looks awesome, as does the pastrami. I'd love to try making pastrami, I just don't love how it tastes.

Chris R

Jesus... all of this. I need to get out of apartments...

I'm in an apartment. I just pull my grill out of the shared shed and plop it in my parking space. I have a short car so I just put the stuff in the hatch/trunk and do it that way.

And the Super Bowl butt turned out ok. The temp was on average higher than I thought so the meat in the center was not as tender as everything else, but it was still damn tasty. Going to have to cook something else up this weekend I think.

captive

yo Htown gaf, HEB has thighs and drumsticks for 1 doller per lb. They also have Boston Butts for 1.77/lb and Picnics for .77 cents a lb.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
yo Htown gaf, HEB has thighs and drumsticks for 1 doller per lb. They also have Boston Butts for 1.77/lb and Picnics for .77 cents a lb.

THANKS! I cooked 2 butts for the Super Bowl, so just in time for me to restock the freezer.

I'll stop on the way home to get some of those thighs too.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
HEB also has their Prime 1 packer briskets for $2.67/lb. The packaging says trimmed but they look like they still had a good bit of fat on them still.

captive

I hope my htwown bros are smoking this weekend. It's fucking gorgeous out.

Got 3 racks of St louis style ribs on. Several lbs of chicken thighs and drumsticks to go on next and summer sausage for my 31st birthday.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Got 3 racks of St louis style ribs on. Several lbs of chicken thighs and drumsticks to go on next and summer sausage for my 31st birthday.

I spent most of the day outside finishing a project so I didn't have the time or energy. So it's home made chili cheese tots and Steven Seagal movies for me tonight breh.

Happy birthday man, enjoy it.

captive

I spent most of the day outside finishing a project so I didn't have the time or energy. So it's home made chili cheese tots and Steven Seagal movies for me tonight breh.

Happy birthday man, enjoy it.

thanks. This is what i did. several lbs of chicken, 3 racks of st louis style ribs. sausage not pictured, because, well its sausage.

it was great.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I really wanted to, but I had so many other projects to finish around the house that I couldn't find the time. This week is supposed to be stormy, but the weekend is supposed to be gorgeous again, so I'll get back on the wagon then,

ravien56

Hi everyone,
Does anyone here have experience smoking cheese in a Smokey mountain smoker? I just tried a few blocks, using four coals and some wood chips and I couldn't get the temperature to stay below 90. I had to pretty much remove three of the coals and at that point, I wasn't getting enough smoke out of the coals.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Hi everyone,
Does anyone here have experience smoking cheese in a Smokey mountain smoker? I just tried a few blocks, using four coals and some wood chips and I couldn't get the temperature to stay below 90. I had to pretty much remove three of the coals and at that point, I wasn't getting enough smoke out of the coals.

No but I've heard of people cold smoking with an electric smoker. But you have a WSM so you could try a cheap electric hot plate at the bottom with a pan and wood chips on top of it ... the hot plate would give you more control over the temp. Just a suggestion ... never cold smoked anything myself.

I use an A-Maze-n smoker to cold smoke stuff.

https://www.amazenproducts.com/

They make some that use pellets and some that use sawdust basically.

Mine looks like this

af8d449f_Amazen.jpg

Which can use sawdust or pellets, and then they have some other ones that just use pellets.

Basically, the dust and pellets burn just enough to produce smoke, while not burning hot enough to really generate much heat at all.

I use mine a lot to smoke bacon, salt, and cheese. It can be a little bit of a pain to start some times, but once it gets going it works really well.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hi everyone,

As mentioned already, an electric smoker might be better for cold smoking.

Give this article a read on how to convert your WSM into a cold smoker

http://virtualweberbullet.com/coldsmoker.html

96otn8d.jpg

edit: hah, interesting set up with the case fan, but you can get case fans these days with usb power if you aren't excited about splicing.

Cardboard box method seems a little shady, so you could always get a smokey joe and go this route

h0YOWov.jpg

Top Bottom