• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

zbarron

Cross-posting from IronGAF.

My wife got me an early anniversary gift.

Weber Original Kettle 22" Premium
25589122602_d83821d3da_b.jpg

First Smoke:

Dome Temperature (275°F)
25615114801_d225b9eef7_c.jpg

Below Grate Temperature (200°F) and BBQ Rubbed Pork Chops
25079706294_024af49539_c.jpg

Hickory Charcoal in fuse method 2 briquettes deep and 2 briquettes wide.
25710104455_6a092cd6ed_c.jpg

It was a fairly short fuse and has been running a couple hours and is about half way done.

Edit: Finished product cut into thin slices to show off smoke ring
25616128571_e9ba30ecc9_b.jpg

Second Smoke:

25720804632_248a39cea1_b.jpg

The time I cooked the ribs I really struggled getting the temperature high enough. I eventually had to add more lit coals and then it was too much and I had to dial in the vents. The ribs came out a little tough but they could have simply needed more time. My setup was the same both times: a snake/fuse 2 briquettes wide and 2 deep and a 10.25" cast iron lid under the meat to catch some drips and act as a heatsink to regulate temperature.

The only difference I can tell was the second time it was a very windy day, but I thought that would have made it hotter not colder. Any one have any advice for next time, or have a guess on what went wrong? I can try making a 3x2 snake and if it's too hot dial in the vents so it'll be consistent.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
zbarron - do some dry runs to get the hang of setting the bottom vent and stabilizing temps. I have the same one you do and that's all I ever adjust during cooking. Top vent stays between 1/2 and 1/4. When you stabilize the temp where you want it, then mark the lever's location on the ash catcher with a sharpie, so you can easily go back there in the future. I don't think wind has much to do with it at least from my experience, since the ash catcher is there to block most of it. I have had problems with damp air / coals though.

And you should be using a water pan over the coals to keep the cooking chamber moist.

zbarron

zbarron - do some dry runs to get the hang of setting the bottom vent and stabilizing temps. I have the same one you do and that's all I ever adjust during cooking. Top vent stays between 1/2 and 1/4. When you stabilize the temp where you want it, then mark the lever's location on the ash catcher with a sharpie, so you can easily go back there in the future. I don't think wind has much to do with it at least from my experience, since the ash catcher is there to block most of it. I have had problems with damp air / coals though.

And you should be using a water pan over the coals to keep the cooking chamber moist.
I'll have to. I think lowering the temperature would be pretty straightforward. My problem is getting it hotter even though my top and bottom vents were wide open. The only thing I can think of is more charcoal. My first run was a perfect 225 with 2x2 fuse and vents wide open and I know grills run hot at first. Maybe the cast iron lid is blocking too much airflow despite the vents being open.

I would but I'm currently on a shoestring budget. Can I make one out of Heavy Duty Foil?

Irobot82

I'll have to. I think lowering the temperature would be pretty straightforward. My problem is getting it hotter even though my top and bottom vents were wide open. The only thing I can think of is more charcoal. My first run was a perfect 225 with 2x2 fuse and vents wide open and I know grills run hot at first. Maybe the cast iron lid is blocking too much airflow despite the vents being open.

I would but I'm currently on a shoestring budget. Can I make one out of Heavy Duty Foil?

I use a bread tin. Like this $6

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Do you keep your charcoal outside or somewhere where it could be humid? That could possibly make your coals damp and help explain it.

zbarron

I use a bread tin. Like this $6
I like that it's reuseable. Are drips a problem when the food is bigger than the pan?
Do you keep your charcoal outside or somewhere where it could be humid? That could possibly make your coals damp and help explain it.
I bought the bag of charcoal less than a week ago. Granted it's a grocery store brand but I like that it's cheap, has hickory wood inside it which gives constant thin blue smoke and I don't need to add wood as well. I can try again with a different brand. Perhaps this charcoal just doesn't get very hot.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I like that it's reuseable. Are drips a problem when the food is bigger than the pan?

You put the water pan on top of the grate over the coals so it will steam. You won't get any putting it under the food. For drippage you certainly can use foil ... that's what I like to use. But set your water pan up like this (I've got the same one in that amazon link) :

I bought the bag of charcoal less than a week ago. Granted it's a grocery store brand but I like that it's cheap, has hickory wood inside it which gives constant thin blue smoke and I don't need to add wood as well. I can try again with a different brand. Perhaps this charcoal just doesn't get very hot.

I've heard of people having issues with cheap briquettes on slow burns. Kingsford may be a little more but for slow burns they are the best in my opinion. Tip : wait for Memorial Day / July 4th / Labor Day and the major hardware stores like Lowe's and Home Depot will put the 2 packs of 18.6lb bags on sale for less than 10 bucks. They use to be 20lb bags but that's still a lot of charcoal for the money.

I use the cheap aluminum ones you can buy at any grocery store or party store. I think I get like 30 for 8 bucks. As long as they keep holding water you can keep using them. I personally put my water pan down by the coals, because the point of it is to help regulate cooking temperature, too much steam and you're going to affect your bark.

In my experience on windy days it's helpful to try and either create a wind block, or like I'll put my mini weber chimney starter on the top vent. It seems to me when it's really windy out, the wind actually like pulls air out of the Weber, or doesn't let enough get in. So even if it's open wide up, it's either losing too much or not getting enough.

I try not to adjust temps with the top vent. I usually try to leave those like half open, and adjust the temp with the vents on the bottom. That way you have a nice flow of air going out, but controlling the burn with how much air goes in.

Also consider getting a digital thermometer. Most oven models, and the ones on the top of the lid are bimetal thermometers and aren't terribly accurate. They can easily be off by as much as 50 degrees in either direction. Something like the Maverick ET-732 works really well and isn't going to break the bank.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=neogaf0e-20

hey guys, i hope this isn't too off topic, but do any of you have any good honey BBQ sauce recipes?

i looked a lot online, but almost all of them make some big mistakes that end up either not living up to the honey BBQ name, or introducing flavors that throw it off too much. (ie: garlic, lemon juice, etc.)

traditionally speaking, i've always been drawn to HBBQ sauces with molasses. i prefer my sauces to be thick and dark, rather than runny or vinegary.

any suggestions?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
hey guys, i hope this isn't too off topic, but do any of you have any good honey BBQ sauce recipes?

i looked a lot online, but almost all of them make some big mistakes that end up either not living up to the honey BBQ name, or introducing flavors that throw it off too much. (ie: garlic, lemon juice, etc.)

traditionally speaking, i've always been drawn to HBBQ sauces with molasses. i prefer my sauces to be thick and dark, rather than runny or vinegary.

any suggestions?

i make my own. my old recipe was with ketchup, honey, brown sugar, Cheyenne pepper, black pepper, sage, paprika and other ingredients. Its fun to make your own and its pretty easy to keep adding whatever ingredients you want till you have the flavor you want, coincidentally ive been trying to make my sauce thinner so its not so thick, with those ingredients i mentioned it was almost a paste. I've got it pretty good now.

i make my own. my old recipe was with ketchup, honey, brown sugar, Cheyenne pepper, black pepper, sage, paprika and other ingredients. Its fun to make your own and its pretty easy to keep adding whatever ingredients you want till you have the flavor you want, coincidentally ive been trying to make my sauce thinner so its not so thick, with those ingredients i mentioned it was almost a paste. I've got it pretty good now.

interesting, i hadn't considered sage or paprika yet. i make my own seasonings and herb salts myself by drying out fresh herbs, so i should have plenty lying around.

i appreciate the suggestions, and will def try it in my next batch. i'm still getting used to learning how flavor profiles work in sauces, since im used to making dry seasonings and only casually dabbling with marinades. cheers!

Hey Q-Gaf I am going to take my first swing at a smoke-while-I-sleep pork butt. Anyone got any advice or tips from experience? I will get up once for sure to check and maybe add more charcoal or wood. Other than a few seasoning smokes, this is actually only my second proper smoke on this WSM. The first was also a pork butt and it was the best one I've ever made. Since I came from a couple years of smoking on my gas grill, I was unused to controlling the temp with the vents and struggled to get to 225 but once I did, it pretty much stayed there. I wish I had payed more attention though to at what points in the smoke I needed to add more charcoal and wood...

Speaking of charcoal and wood, for the first pork butt and all the prior seasoning smokes, I practiced using the Soo's Donut Method of charcoal arrangement and that seemed to work pretty well.

I am smoking on a WSM 18", and I'll monitor with an ET-732.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hey Q-Gaf I am going to take my first swing at a smoke-while-I-sleep pork butt. Anyone got any advice or tips from experience? I will get up once for sure to check and maybe add more charcoal or wood. Other than a few seasoning smokes, this is actually only my second proper smoke on this WSM. The first was also a pork butt and it was the best one I've ever made. Since I came from a couple years of smoking on my gas grill, I was unused to controlling the temp with the vents and struggled to get to 225 but once I did, it pretty much stayed there. I wish I had payed more attention though to at what points in the smoke I needed to add more charcoal and wood...

Speaking of charcoal and wood, for the first pork butt and all the prior seasoning smokes, I practiced using the Soo's Donut Method of charcoal arrangement and that seemed to work pretty well.

If you're using the water pan, I'd put at least a gallon of water in it, but that pan should hold more. That should help keep the temps steady. Use the minion method. Don't open the bottom vents all the way.

Don't light too many coals. Maybe light like 10-15 and put in the center of your pile.

virtualweberbullet.com for overnight smoke tips

Irobot82

Have to tried adding some apple cider vinegar to thin it out?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Have to tried adding some apple cider vinegar to thin it out?

yes. still didnt come out thin enough. I tried a new way instead of making it completely from scratch.

I start with jack daniels and water and dissolve brown sugar in it and then i use Stubbs original sauce and then go from there, its pretty fantastic.

zbarron

I smoked three turkey legs today with hickory wood. I ended up buying some Stubbs charcoal which Lowes has on a good sale.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_297978-37442-00754087710153_1z0weje__?productId=50302903&pl=1

According to an oven thermometer next to the legs the temperature ranged from 225-300. They had good smoke flavor and were juicy and tender, but I realized I don't like turkey legs. There are a shit ton of tendons in there. These things are a pain in the ass to carve and serve. No wonder when people carve turkeys they just chop the drumsticks off and call it a day.

phanphare

Banned
man, I made a rack of ribs yesterday and they were amazing. sorry, no pictures. I had company over and forgot to document the cook. did a memphis dry rub on a nice rack of baby backs and smoked them with some hickory chunks. so good.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Pork butt overnights are my favorite. WSM is good for holding temps, providing that there is little wind and no rain.

Jake.

my gf made ribs for lunch (first time), and on my second bite i pulled out some huge black vein. it almost made me throw up, i think its time to stick to seafood only. :(

Ananas

Banned
What's a good grill to have if you live an apartment with no balcony or outside porch?

91otDz%2BoNGL._SX522_.jpg

Real talk. Don't use a grill inside, it's deadly. I guess you could get an electric grill but then whats the point? You're better off just using your oven, grill pan and broiler unfortunately.

You can make good pulled pork/brisket/ribs in your oven, it'll just lack the smokey flavor. Try incorporating some liquid smoke into your rubs, use smoked paprika, etc...to help get that smokey flavor.

suberzat

91otDz%2BoNGL._SX522_.jpg

Real talk. Don't use a grill inside, it's deadly. I guess you could get an electric grill but then whats the point? You're better off just using your oven, grill pan and broiler unfortunately.

You can make good pulled pork/brisket/ribs in your oven, it'll just lack the smokey flavor. Try incorporating some liquid smoke into your rubs, use smoked paprika, etc...to help get that smokey flavor.

I will look into it but ribs without the smoke taste:(

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

I saw Alton Brown make a smoker out of a flower pot and a hot plate and smoke a pork butt with it. If you have a means to ventilate the smoke out of a window or door then there are ways, but you'll have to get creative.

mcfrank

What's a good grill to have if you live an apartment with no balcony or outside porch?

Use a slow cooker for pulled pork or your oven for ribs on a very low setting for a few hours (8 for pork, 4-6 for ribs). Then when the meat is done stick it under the broiler in your oven on max setting to sear it. Closest you will get inside.

zbarron

Are you looking to grill or to cook low and slow? I own that exact grill pan. It's permanent home is over two of my burners but I mostly use it on the griddle side for breakfast foods, burgers and other searing needs. My favorite way to "grill" on it is to put it a few inches under the broiler, let it heat up for a while and then put food on and have it cook from high heat on both sides.

For low and slow I use an Anova Precision Cooker. I'm still new to smoking but I haven't put out ribs that have been anywhere near as tender as the ones I cooked with this and using this is a whole lot easier.
Recipe

ColdPizza

Banned
For low and slow I use an Anova Precision Cooker. I'm still new to smoking but I haven't put out ribs that have been anywhere near as tender as the ones I cooked with this and using this is a whole lot easier.
Recipe

I get why Kenji does this. Output the most tender food you can, but this just feels soulless to me. I mean, part of the allure of BBQ is to improve as you go and turn out a better product. It's like an art. I'm just torn on something like this. Not bashing.

suberzat

Are you looking to grill or to cook low and slow? I own that exact grill pan. It's permanent home is over two of my burners but I mostly use it on the griddle side for breakfast foods, burgers and other searing needs. My favorite way to "grill" on it is to put it a few inches under the broiler, let it heat up for a while and then put food on and have it cook from high heat on both sides.

Recipe

I am looking to grill.

Me slow cooking I could see me doing maybe twice a year vs grilling

Just looking for different options with my limited space. Slow cooking could be my best option but I also want the smoke taste with most of the meat I cook form

zbarron

I get why Kenji does this. Output the most tender food you can, but this just feels soulless to me. I mean, part of the allure of BBQ is to improve as you go and turn out a better product. It's like an art. I'm just torn on something like this. Not bashing.

Don't worry. No offense taken. I bought the sous vide before I bought my Weber 22". I really enjoy using the weber to smoke things and I slightly prefer the smoke flavor with real smoke to the sous vide with liquid smoke but I have to admit there are times I would prefer using the Sous Vide. I have a newborn so dedicating an afternoon or longer to smoke ribs when I can set it and forget it in my kitchen isn't always an option. We also get really bad snow here so it's a more all-weather solution. I recommended it since the poster said they don't have the means to smoke outside.

I like the aspect of smoking where it's a skill I can improve on and I also like the idea of spending a summer day outside with friends or the kids and at the end of it have delicious food. As you know though it's not an everyday thing and sometimes a man needs some ribs.

I am looking to grill.

Me slow cooking I could see me doing maybe twice a year vs grilling

Just looking for different options with my limited space. Slow cooking could be my best option but I also want the smoke taste with most of the meat I cook form
Use the broiler, especially if you have a gas one. A broiler is essentially an upside down grill. Liquid smoke gets a bad rap. Good brands are basically pure smoke and water which you'd have in a water pan anyway. It takes some experimentation but you can get some good results indoors. Not perfect or authentic but damn tasty.

suberzat

Yes I am looking to improve my art on the grill. To take the with me in the future

zbarron

Yes I am looking to improve my art on the grill. To take the with me in the future

I'm not a big gas grill fan since I feel you can get the same results indoors. Charcoal is another story but absolutely has to be outside. What are the rules in your apartment? Is there a parking lot or picnic/park area that you can bring a portable grill to?

If so I'd recommend the Smokey Joe Gold for you. It's cheap at $40, very portable and still a damn good grill with a smaller capacity.
smokeywdyca.jpg

Don't expect to low and slow on it though.

Here's me making burgers on my Smokey Joe Silver.
16968524092_0d693309b9_b.jpg

I made 4 burgers but as you can see I could have fit several more or some corn on the cobs.

ColdPizza

Banned
Don't worry. No offense taken. I bought the sous vide before I bought my Weber 22". I really enjoy using the weber to smoke things and I slightly prefer the smoke flavor with real smoke to the sous vide with liquid smoke but I have to admit there are times I would prefer using the Sous Vide. I have a newborn so dedicating an afternoon or longer to smoke ribs when I can set it and forget it in my kitchen isn't always an option. We also get really bad snow here so it's a more all-weather solution. I recommended it since the poster said they don't have the means to smoke outside.

I like the aspect of smoking where it's a skill I can improve on and I also like the idea of spending a summer day outside with friends or the kids and at the end of it have delicious food. As you know though it's not an everyday thing and sometimes a man needs some ribs.

Use the broiler, especially if you have a gas one. A broiler is essentially an upside down grill. Liquid smoke gets a bad rap. Good brands are basically pure smoke and water which you'd have in a water pan anyway. It takes some experimentation but you can get some good results indoors. Not perfect or authentic but damn tasty.

Btw I should add I own an Anova and I like it a lot. It does turn out great end to end steaks but I've also gotten really good at cooking the same things in my cast iron. So I guess it is a matter of convenience. I've never tried any cooks longer than 3 hours though so it would be interesting to see how things break down on tougher meats.

I definitely hear you about small children and bbq, but for longer smokes I've been able to handle it so long as my wife is around when I need to fire up the smoker or check on the food etc.

zbarron

Btw I should add I own an Anova and I like it a lot. It does turn out great end to end steaks but I've also gotten really good at cooking the same things in my cast iron. So I guess it is a matter of convenience. I've never tried any cooks longer than 3 hours though so it would be interesting to see how things break down on tougher meats.

I definitely hear you about small children and bbq, but for longer smokes I've been able to handle it so long as my wife is around when I need to fire up the smoker or check on the food etc.
Turning cheap cuts into delicious meat is where Sous Vide excels in my opinion. With skill you can get edge to edge rosy steak. Ovens aren't nearly as stable as Sous Vide and you can't get the same results. Vacuum seal a beef chuck or a different roast and cook it for long enough for the collagen to break down. As tender as a nice steak but more flavor and cheap as hell. It's my indoor go to for low and slow. Try it out. You won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom