• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

zbarron

MRSA

Banned
Next Thursday, Kingsford Blue 2x18lbs for $9.99 back on sale again at Home Depot. Gonna pick up another 80-120lbs.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Next Thursday, Kingsford Blue 2x18lbs for $9.99 back on sale again at Home Depot. Gonna pick up another 80-120lbs.

nice. I have enough for the rest of the year when I went insane a couple of years about and bought a ton.

MRSA

Banned
nice. I have enough for the rest of the year when I went insane a couple of years about and bought a ton.

nice! I've still got some from last year haha

I buy 80-120lbs each sale, I think my storage unit has like 300lbs worth lol.

EDIT: I think I'm gonna tackle a full packer brisket doing hot and fast method, should be getting my ET-733 next week so I'll do some test runs to see how I can hold 325-350 in kettle.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I got a question. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and have done roughly 20 pork shoulders. Lately, I have been getting the internal temperature to 150 then wrapping till 190 (trying to mimic the Aaron Franklin book). I wrap with aluminum foil and add maybe 1 ounce of hot sauce to keep it moist.

When the pork reaches 190, I pull it off the smoker and let it rest in the foil for 30-40 minutes. The problem is, as I unwrap a ton of juice comes out. Roughly 8oz of juice per shoulder before I even shred the meat. I have just shred the meat and put in in with the juice but the meat then seems too juicy/watery and after refrigeration it is just a glob of meat. Any thoughts?

I think I am going to let the internal temp get to 170 next time before wrapping to form a harder bark.

ColdPizza

Banned
Wrap it later, and let it rest longer...it's a big piece of meat, it'll take awhile for the juices to redistribute into the meat.

I also have a WSM and I don't bother wrapping my pork shoulders (until it comes off the smoker or if I'm running late)...it just doesn't need it in my opinion.

mcfrank

I got a question. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and have done roughly 20 pork shoulders. Lately, I have been getting the internal temperature to 150 then wrapping till 190 (trying to mimic the Aaron Franklin book). I wrap with aluminum foil and add maybe 1 ounce of hot sauce to keep it moist.

When the pork reaches 190, I pull it off the smoker and let it rest in the foil for 30-40 minutes. The problem is, as I unwrap a ton of juice comes out. Roughly 8oz of juice per shoulder before I even shred the meat. I have just shred the meat and put in in with the juice but the meat then seems too juicy/watery and after refrigeration it is just a glob of meat. Any thoughts?

I think I am going to let the internal temp get to 170 next time before wrapping to form a harder bark.

I tend to let mine rest for 3 - 4 hours wrapped in foil and towels in a pre-heated cooler. It will stay very hot for up to 8 or 9 hours this way. This will help a bit.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I tend to let mine rest for 3 - 4 hours wrapped in foil and towels in a pre-heated cooler. It will stay very hot for up to 8 or 9 hours this way. This will help a bit.

Does that mean you pull it before 190 degrees? I feel like it will overcook resting for 3-4 hours.

ColdPizza

Banned
Weber, you bastards....what is this beauty?

uAL22Hj.png

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...next-generation-charcoal-grill-300246881.html

PALATINE, Ill., April 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Weber-Stephen Products LLC, the world's leading manufacturer of outdoor gas and charcoal grills and grilling accessories, announces a new charcoal grill that combines the form and functions of the classic Weber kettle grill with the company's beloved Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker to create a completely new grill option from Weber.

The new Summit® charcoal grill and Summit® charcoal grilling center (MSRP: $1,699 and $2,299 respectively) will be available at select specialty retailers beginning April 6, 2016. Consumers can visit www.weber.com to find a dealer in their area.

"We are so excited to bring these new grills to our customers—providing true convection cooking that only Weber's trademarked round shape can provide," said Kim Lefko, Chief Marketing Officer, Weber-Stephen Products LLC. "Charcoal grill owners interested in smoking, and gas grill owners who long for the taste of charcoal now have the best of both worlds available to them."

Designed to provide ultimate control and hold steady temperatures for more than 10 hours of cooking, the Weber Summit charcoal grill will incorporate many unique features including multi-zone heat options, a hinged diffuser plate, a two-position fuel grate, an insulated lid and bowl for less charcoal consumption and better heat retention, and a slow cook/smoke bowl damper set-up that allows for three bottom vent positions.

In addition, the Weber Summit charcoal grills come with a Gourmet BBQ System cooking grate—a hinged cooking grate that features a removable center piece designed to fit a variety of Weber accessories, including a wok, griddle, and a poultry roaster.

The Weber Summit charcoal grill features 452 square-inches of cooking space, Snap-Jet gas ignition for easy lighting, a Rapidfire lid damper and built-in thermometer, a bottom wire rack for additional storage and the One-Touch cleaning system for easy ash removal. The Weber Summit charcoal grilling center will also include a stainless steel tabletop, wire basket and tool hook, along with a CharBin storage container.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/summit-charcoal/summit-charcoal-grill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjbUilmcU4U

Holy fucking shit...

ag-my001

I feel like the material cost should be a lot lower than for a kamado, but since the functionality is similar, they're going for a similar price to BGE or Kamado Joe. Maybe I'm completely wrong in my estimations, though.

dskillzhtown

I feel like the material cost should be a lot lower than for a kamado, but since the functionality is similar, they're going for a similar price to BGE or Kamado Joe. Maybe I'm completely wrong in my estimations, though.

Materials cost should be alot cheaper, IMO. It is pretty much a mashup of the Performer and the WSM with some bells and whistles thrown in. But you have to price yourself in that market if you are going to go against it, I guess. Either way, I can't justify that expense though it would replace both my Performer and WSM. I would drop 1,000 on it but that wouldn't even get me in the conversation, lol.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Considering you can buy two big Green eggs for that price, that's insane.

ColdPizza

Banned
Materials cost should be alot cheaper, IMO. It is pretty much a mashup of the Performer and the WSM with some bells and whistles thrown in. But you have to price yourself in that market if you are going to go against it, I guess. Either way, I can't justify that expense though it would replace both my Performer and WSM. I would drop 1,000 on it but that wouldn't even get me in the conversation, lol.

Considering you can buy two big Green eggs for that price, that's insane.

The video explains it though...this design allows for faster temperature switches. If you overshoot your temp on this, you can correct it much faster because this is air insulated. Apparently doing so on a ceramic cooker like the Komodo or BGE would take much longer to correct.

dskillzhtown

The video explains it though...this design allows for faster temperature switches. If you overshoot your temp on this, you can correct it much faster because this is air insulated. Apparently doing so on a ceramic cooker like the Komodo or BGE would take much longer to correct.

Umm....that ain't worth $1700, no matter how they try to spin it.

zbarron

I saw their teaser for this. I almost held off on picking up my 22" Premium thinking it might have been a new 2016 model but the theories were similar to how this ended up and most assumed a premium market price, though perhaps not this high.

I am so glad I didn't hold off.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

lol the brush they used is meant for use in welding to prep flat surfaces . They are made from cheap carbon steel that rust and break easy and cost like 2 dollars. A proper grill brush should be made from thicker stainless bristles or some other material that won't rust like that triangular shaped brush Weber makes. That is kind of a freak accident but still, buy the proper equipment next time!

zbarron

I don't know if this counts but I have been doing sous vide using the anova and with liquid smoke, it tastes as good if not better than the real thing.

145c for 36 hours and the ribs just fall off the bone so tender.

I pretty much followed this - http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html
Earlier in the thread I did the same recipe at 165 for 12 hours. Did you take any steps to reduce evaporation?

You're better off just getting the Master Touch and a Slow N Sear for a tiny fraction of that price...
That's essentially my plan. I'll probably pick up the Slow N Sear next Spring.

phanphare

Banned
yeah the slow and sear is awesome. honestly my favorite thing about it is they incorporated a water pan into it so now I don't have to take up cooking space with one and I don't have to boil water before putting it in there.

Chris R

I'd buy a Slow n Sear if they didn't cost $90... I know it's quality steel, just seems overly expensive for what it actually is.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
yea unless i miss on temp by 100's of degrees i dont really have a problem raising or lowering the temp on my egg.

I take mine to 198 - so, maybe we have different tastes for where the over cooked point is =)
i take my pork butts to 195 wrapped in foil, then put in the oven that was heated to 200 and turned off more or less the same thing as wrapping in towels, and let it rest for 2-3 hours as well.
I do the same with briskets but i take them to 205 internal.

ag-my001

So my brother in law is a cook. Very good one, very nice restaurants. We were over the other night and I was looking through some of his cookbooks. Found a barbeque one, flipped to the brisket page, and I was surprised to see it say to pull the brisket off the smoker at 170. Odd, when everyone else is usually in the 190-205 range. So I ask him about it, and he says his preferred temp is 140.

Am I wrong, or is this insanity?

phanphare

Banned
So my brother in law is a cook. Very good one, very nice restaurants. We were over the other night and I was looking through some of his cookbooks. Found a barbeque one, flipped to the brisket page, and I was surprised to see it say to pull the brisket off the smoker at 170. Odd, when everyone else is usually in the 190-205 range. So I ask him about it, and he says his preferred temp is 140.

Am I wrong, or is this insanity?

140 is sheer insanity for brisket, yes

he has to be talking about a different cut of beef

MRSA

Banned
I don't know if this counts but I have been doing sous vide using the anova and with liquid smoke, it tastes as good if not better than the real thing.

145c for 36 hours and the ribs just fall off the bone so tender.

I pretty much followed this - http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

No it doesn't count, BBQ is much more than "liquid smoke".

I want one of those Weber bad boys, but for $1700? You can buy a Performer, a 22" WSM, a Q3200, and still have money left over.

Earlier in the thread I did the same recipe at 165 for 12 hours. Did you take any steps to reduce evaporation?

That's essentially my plan. I'll probably pick up the Slow N Sear next Spring.

I used a plastic bin and just covered it all with aluminum foil (except the tiny part where the anova pokes out), Water level maybe went down 1cm the whole time.

zbarron

No it doesn't count, BBQ is much more than "liquid smoke".

I want one of those Weber bad boys, but for $1700? You can buy a Performer, a 22" WSM, a Q3200, and still have money left over.
I have to disagree. If we are talking about the end product it's just meat cooked low and slow in the presence of smoke. Same meat, same rub, same low temperature, same smoke. If you are talking about the culture and experience I agree.
I used a plastic bin and just covered it all with aluminum foil (except the tiny part where the anova pokes out), Water level maybe went down 1cm the whole time.
Nice. My cambro cracked on the bottom so now I just use a stock pot.

phanphare

Banned
I have to disagree. If we are talking about the end product it's just meat cooked low and slow in the presence of smoke. Same meat, same rub, same low temperature, same smoke. If you are talking about the culture and experience I agree

it's not the same smoke though..

I'm sure it was great, however

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I have to disagree. If we are talking about the end product it's just meat cooked low and slow in the presence of smoke. Same meat, same rub, same low temperature, same smoke. If you are talking about the culture and experience I agree.

Nice. My cambro cracked on the bottom so now I just use a stock pot.

sous vide isn't going to give you that lovely bark that charcoal and / or wood will give you, and that in my opinion is what puts barbecue in a class of it's own when it comes to low and slow.

MRSA

Banned
The only thing sous vide and BBQ share is low and slow. If you're electric smoking then it's almost exactly the same. But as stated before. BBQ takes a lot of skill and most people will give up after their first try because of the difficulty.

zbarron

it's not the same smoke though..

I'm sure it was great, however
How is it not? When using a good liquid smoke you are taking smoke particles dissolved in to water applied to the outer layer of the meat. When smoking in a smoker you are applying smoke particles that mix with water vapor and stick to the outer layer of the meat. It's the same smoke, it's the same water, it's the same results. The process is slightly different, but I am arguing results.
sous vide isn't going to give you that lovely bark that charcoal and / or wood will give you, and that in my opinion is what puts barbecue in a class of it's own when it comes to low and slow.
I admit to being a bark lover myself and in my opinion for bark formation it's charcoal>gas>electric>Sous Vide. That said the sous vide technique still gives you bark. Read the article, or Ctrl+F "Bark" if you are feeling lazy.
The only thing sous vide and BBQ share is low and slow. If you're electric smoking then it's almost exactly the same. But as stated before. BBQ takes a lot of skill and most people will give up after their first try because of the difficulty.
You are pretty much correct in that a smoker is basically just an oven with smoke added and sous vide is just a water oven. Once again though, my argument is the end result, which is damn tasty meat flavored flavored with fat, a spice rub, and smoke, cooked low enough to make it tender and delicious. I very much enjoy smoking the traditional way.
Pork Butt
19590164784_e396e92a5f_z.jpg

Beef Chuck
16982306042_abde02c7b7_z.jpg

Burnt Ends Sammy
16993603752_f0fcf3604f_z.jpg

Liquid smoke and real smoke aren't the same thing though. Plus different cooking process, cause different reactions on the surface of the meat. Different types of heat, and different ways of applying that heat, cook things differently. Just holding something at a certain temperature isn't going to give you the same exact results. I don't think there's anything wrong with cooking ribs that way and I bet they're tasty as hell, but it's not BBQ.

How is it not? When using a good liquid smoke you are taking smoke particles dissolved in to water applied to the outer layer of the meat. When smoking in a smoker you are applying smoke particles that mix with water vapor and stick to the outer layer of the meat. It's the same smoke, it's the same water, it's the same results.

Liquid smoke is only applying one agent of the smoke if that makes sense. Not sure I worded that right. Basically when they make liquid smoke they're creating it from 1 product. The smoke that is doing its magical dance around the meat in a smoker can be more than just a single type of wood. You've got smoke from the charcoal being used, smoke from fat dripping down and hitting hot pieces of the grill, and other elements that aren't a part of when they create liquid smoke. Plus its not just about the flavor but what's going on with those chemicals at certain temperatures.

The process is slightly different, but I am arguing results.

That's the thing though, especially with food. The process and not the results are what determine what something is called. Something is called BBQ not because of the end results, but the journey it took to get to those results.

zbarron

Liquid smoke and real smoke aren't the same thing though. Plus different cooking process, cause different reactions on the surface of the meat. Different types of heat, and different ways of applying that heat, cook things differently. Just holding something at a certain temperature isn't going to give you the same exact results. I don't think there's anything wrong with cooking ribs that way and I bet they're tasty as hell, but it's not BBQ.
It isn't the exact same but it's very similar.
Liquid smoke is only applying one agent of the smoke if that makes sense. Not sure I worded that right. Basically when they make liquid smoke they're creating it from 1 product. The smoke that is doing its magical dance around the meat in a smoker can be more than just a single type of wood. You've got smoke from the charcoal being used, smoke from fat dripping down and hitting hot pieces of the grill, and other elements that aren't a part of when they create liquid smoke. Plus its not just about the flavor but what's going on with those chemicals at certain temperatures.
You can use two types of liquid smoke. Also at smoking temperature the fat dripping is not going to smoke. As for the rest of your paragraph it seems you attribute it to a certain je ne sais pas, which I obviously can't argue. Once again, I agree the process is different but my argument is that the end result is a product similar enough that it should be considered within the same genre of food.
That's the thing though, especially with food. The process and not the results are what determine what something is called. Something is called BBQ not because of the end results, but the journey it took to get to those results.
I disagree. How do you make s'mores? You toast marshmallows over an open fire and put it between graham crack and chocolate. If you toasted the marshmallow using a torch or under a broiler is the dish no longer s'mores?

What about stir fry? Normally it is made in a wok over a very high BTU gas stove. If I made it with the same ingredients in a cast iron skillet over an induction burner, cooked in batches and didn't use the literal stir frying technique is it no longer stir fry? What else would you call the dish?

Naan bread is traditionally made using a tandoori oven. If you use a grill or griddle is it no longer Naan?

Pizza traditionally uses a wood fire oven. By using the skillet-broiler method is it no longer pizza?

Let's say I opened a BBQ restaurant and served pulled pork, brisket, and ribs, with a homemade rub and BBQ sauce. Like in most restaurants you don't see me cook it, only what comes out to the table. Is that BBQ? If you later learn that I used sous vide, an oven, a blowtorch and other tools but never a smoker, is it no longer BBQ? What would you call it?

I am all for authenticity, but it has a time and a place. If a new method to cook a food comes out that is either superior or more convenient I don't think it should be shunned. I know there are differences between sous vide and traditional smoking. I'm not arguing that there aren't. I'm arguing that it is similar enough that the method shouldn't be shunned and the two are so similar that they should fall within the "BBQ" umbrella.

For good measure here's a video of meathead working on indoor ribs.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/amazing-ribs-with-meathead-part-ii-exploring-indoor-barbecue

ColdPizza

Banned
That would be an interesting restaurant. Instead of a pit like The Salt Lick there would be a giant round table with cambros and sous vide rigs. lol

Chris R

Grilled some ribeye and burgers last night, thinking about my next bbq adventure.

I've done a few butts already, might try some ribs next time.

Top Bottom