• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been meaning to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy, should I give it a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They're having an LotR trilogy set BR sale in a nearby mall, and I'm gonna be honest, I haven't watched the series. Never read the books because god knows even if I'm an avid reader I don't think I can handle doorstoppers and narration that takes forever describing stuff.

I only know the "basics" like the main characters, the gang, the obvious good and bad guys, etc. Yet I haven't watched it. Not even the animated Bakshi film. But the cheap price is tempting me so...

What am I in for? Is it as "gory" as Pirates of the Caribbean? Is it a bit long-winded and "padded" like Star Trek TMP? Or is it really well-done?

Dougald

Yes, watch it. I'd probably start with the theatricals rather than the extended editions for a first watch though

The EEs are absolutely must-watch material. At least the first 2. Return of the King is both fine as the theatrical cut and/or the EE.

Just don't rush through them. They are long films and you'll want breaks in between.

Boss Doggie

Are the additional stuff in EE worth having? I heard Saruman's stuff was almost nonexistent in the final movie unless you watched the EE.

Definitely watch it.
It's not super gory but there's some heads flying and people getting stabbed.

Oh I'm fine with decapitation as long as it's not SH level. So Star Wars-y level then?

If you think Pirates of the Carribean is "gory" these will be a lot for you to handle.

I'm fine with Pirates's "gore", I just need some movie to set as an example :p

Denton

I hated it, personally. Made the mistake of picking director's cuts. So long. So boring. I was on suicide watch by the end of it.

ryseing

Are the additional stuff in EE worth having? I heard Saruman's stuff was almost nonexistent in the final movie unless you watched the EE.

Oh I'm fine with decapitation as long as it's not SH level. So Star Wars-y level then?

I'm fine with Pirates's "gore", I just need some movie to set as an example :p

Get the EEs. A bit more than Star Wars. Orcs get dismembered left and right.

Koriandrr

DO IT!

Dedicate the time first though, it'll take a solid day for all of them, especially if you're going director's cut which is about 6hours. Just mentally prepare yourself it's long. But so totally worth it. I rewatch them at least once a year, because that's how much I love it.

Tell us what you think after!!! I'm curious :)

Frog-fu

Banned
How is that even a question? Yes, OP, you should absolutely watch one of the greatest trilogies and cinema achievements in the history of film.

Dougald

What they really add is "more". Which is great if you love the films (I do), but maybe not for a first viewing, you're not really going to miss anything major. The films, especially the second two, are very long as it is

If you enjoy the theatricals they are definitely worth picking up though

Hindl

The EE are definitely worth a watch, although not for your first time. They are each like 3:30-4 hour movies with the extended stuff. They add a lot to the story, but if you aren't liking it anyway it'll make it a longer slog. I'd say start with the theatrical cuts, and if you like them, then find the extended cuts. And the gore is pretty tame, not a lot of blood at all, but there's stabbing, decapitation, basic fantasy stuff

Boss Doggie

I forgot if the ones on sale are EEs or not. Are their BR releases already EE? If so they have a setting that lets you switch between modes right?

Watch the EEs.
Don't watch them in a single day holy shit, you're gonna go insane. One per day, give yourself some time to digest them.

Dougald

I forgot if the ones on sale are EEs or not. Are their BR releases already EE? If so they have a setting that lets you switch between modes right?

Both are available on Blu-Ray. It's one or the other, unless there is a combined edition I haven't heard of

Return Of The King EE is essential because of Saruman.

I'm in two minds about that, because the EE adds in (ROTK Spoiler)
The Death of Saruman, which is not how it happened in the books. Of course they cut the scouring of the shire, but seeing him get impaled on a spike doesn't really add anything to the film other than getting to see Christopher Lee deliver some more dialogue

DO IT!

Dedicate the time first though, it'll take a solid day for all of them, especially if you're going director's cut which is about 6hours. Just mentally prepare yourself it's long. But so totally worth it. I rewatch them at least once a year, because that's how much I love it.

Tell us what you think after!!! I'm curious :)

The extended editions are over eleven hours altogether. Even the theatricals are more than nine hours.

Boss Doggie

Both are available on Blu-Ray. It's one or the other, unless there is a combined edition I haven't heard of
Ah so it's just one version in a BR then. I have a feeling the one for sale is the theatrical edition though if it's cheap.

You know it's one of the most acclaimed series of films to ever exist right? Many Oscar nominations and wins, near unanimous praise from critics, huge box office, among highest rated movies on IMDB. Loved by Hollywood, critics and the audience.

They are pretty good movies.

Eh, plenty of high rated films I don't watch because they're not to my taste (like that Facebook biopic, which I tried and made me cringe since I can smell the oscar-baity-ness of it).

Though this one mostly I never got to watch because I missed FotR when it came out and never got around to watch it and the rest of the films.

Gotcha. Theyre some of the most violent PG-13 movies out there I think, but they're still PG-13. It should be fine.

all right, should be fine then

There are BR releases of both editions.

And no, you can't switch between theatrical and extended. At best you could watch chapter by chapter and skip the ones marked as additional scenes, but even some original scenes have been extended.

-griffy-

Banned
Eh, plenty of high rated films I don't watch because they're not to my taste (like that Facebook biopic, which I tried and made me cringe since I can smell the oscar-baity-ness of it).
My point is that they aren't just high rated by one group. It's not a situation where critics rated it highly but it made no money and awards ignore it, or it makes a shit load of money but gets crap reviews. They are universally seen as great movies by most everyone. Not just good for fantasy, but good period. They are just good ass movies that A LOT of people like.

Watch them, if you happen to like them, read up on the backstory of Tolkien. After that, watch the making of material on the EE discs. I think the Lotr trilogy is great and the making of is even better than the movies. It's a lot of material of course and it will take some time.

Those movies are in for a rewatch during the christmas days I think.

Boss Doggie

Though I heard FotR could be a bit rocky.

My point is that they aren't just high rated by one group. It's not a situation where critics rated it highly but it made no money and awards ignore it, or it makes a shit load of money but gets crap reviews. They are universally seen as great movies by most everyone. Not just good for fantasy, but good period. They are just good ass movies that A LOT of people like.

Though like I said, the reason I wasn't able to watch this is more of I kinda forgotten about it that it felt like I was "too late" to enjoy it lol

I should really do it then. Tomorrow it is!

FOTR is a big introduction and doesn't have epic set pieces like the other two. It's a bit different but it's great nonetheless.

Though like I said, the reason I wasn't able to watch this is more of I kinda forgotten about it that it felt like I was "too late" to enjoy it lol

Fellowship of the Ring is the closest in spirit to the novel, feels the least rushed and is the most self-contained in its narrative and emotional arcs. It's the best one as a film, taken on its own.

Hindl

FotR is a lot of world building, and probably takes a good half hour to 45 minutes to get going. It's also a lot of talking as opposed to fantasy action, but it's needed since the world is so dense, but it's great

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I saw the first two movies and didn't like them in the slightest. They were extremely long and boring, full of characters I didn't care for. The only thing I can remember about them is a couple of talking trees from the second movie (I think), that's all.

Still, you probably should watch them anyway, maybe you'll enjoy them. There are a lot of people who like them.

Return Of The King EE is essential because of Saruman.

True, but that was a scene that should have never been cut to begin with. Especially considering it was supplemented in place of the Scouring of the Shire. Pretty incredible that it was cut during the theatrical release.

FOTR is a big introduction and doesn't have epic set pieces like the other two. It's a bit different but it's great nonetheless.

Moria is essentially a half-hour set-piece in my opinion.

Syf

Banned
They're some of my favorite films. Extended editions are worth it too, especially The Two Towers which I felt was majorly improved. But whichever editions you watch, yes, absolutely you should see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom