• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been meaning to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy, should I give it a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also think they make for really great christmas movies weirdly enough

They do! It probably helps that they were all released just before Christmas, haha. But its earnestness and themes of fellowship and goodness and sacrifice are pretty Christmassy in their own right. They're also the kind of movies you just leave on all day over a holiday.

inm8num2

I'll never forget seeing FotR in the theater. The movie was entertaining and spectacular in all regards, but the characters and emotions are just so damn good they really stick with you.

Watch the trilogy, OP. You'll love it.

I think the closest to gore are all the nasty close ups of Orcs and Uruk-hai but it's like black goo.

And sure, give the trilogy a go if you even have a modicum of interest in fantasy. We might have different definitions of long-winded but I feel like at least extended Fellowship of the Ring is essential viewing.

BTM

Well they are my favorite films of all time so ya, you should give it a go. Watch theatrical cuts first though imo.

JeTmAn81

It's good. DO NOT MARATHON IT. Seriously 1 movie a day or even better, 1 a weekend for 3 weekends.

I actually treat the trilogy like a tv show now and just watch an hour or two at a time. Helps it from getting too overwhelming. The movies together are about as long as a Game of Thrones season.

Auctopus

They're wonderful films.

I don't know what box set is on sale near you but I'd advise not watching the extended edition first as its well fucking long. Just watch the theatrical.

Go back to the EE if you really enjoyed it, FOTR EE is brilliant.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'll also suggest you watch the Extended Editions - the movies are really, really, really great and having the extra length fleshes the world out even more.

i'm jealous you get to watch them for the first time... they are really something special.

Gandalf

They're alright I guess.

Yes, watch them. Extended editions too. As pointed out above, don't marathon them. I wish I could experience them for the first time again :(

Koriandrr

I actually treat the trilogy like a tv show now and just watch an hour or two at a time. Helps it from getting too overwhelming. The movies together are about as long as a Game of Thrones season.

:(

Really depends on how you watch things in general. I watch LOTR in one sitting, EE. Takes a solid day, but best experience ever. But then again, I binge watch TV shows as well. Saw all of Breaking Bad in 5 days.

Da_Bears

Neo Member
I agree with all others saying to watch them. Going to start the Hobbit EE's today and then go on to LotR EE's after. If I do not finish this weekend will continue next weekend.

F!ReW!Re

I agree with all others saying to watch them. Going to start the Hobbit EE's today and then go on to LotR EE's after. If I do not finish this weekend will continue next weekend.

Not to derail but: I guess if you didn't like the hobbit movies, the EE's won't make them any better right???

cjp

Yes. They're amazing.

Also, a question to anybody that knows about the Blu-Ray's: I have the extended edition box set on Blu-Ray and have just noticed that the price listed on Amazon is now around £90. In most other places it's completely sold out. Has it been discontinued? I didn't know if a different version is now out?

This is the one I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003AQC1CQ/

I'm also looking at getting the theatrical versions on Blu-Ray too. I know FotR was supposed to have some issues with a bad transfer/too much green or something. Was there a release that fixed that?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My god, being able to watch this for the first time again...

Yes. They're amazing.

Also, a question to anybody that knows about the Blu-Ray's: I have the extended edition box set on Blu-Ray and have just noticed that the price listed on Amazon is now around £90. In most other places it's completely sold out. Has it been discontinued? I didn't know if a different version is now out?

I'm also looking at getting the theatrical versions on Blu-Ray too. I know FotR was supposed to have some issues with a bad transfer/too much green or something. Was there a release that fixed that?

I've been wondering about that myself. I popped into the HMV and Fopp near me, and they both said it's no longer in their systems as well. Maybe they're planning a "LOTR + Hobbit" gigaboxset?

cjp

I've been wondering about that myself. I popped into the HMV and Fopp near me, and they both said it's no longer in their systems as well. Maybe they're planning a "LOTR + Hobbit" gigaboxset?

Hmm. Interesting. I just read about Blu-Ray Extended Edition Steelbooks that come with a digital UltraViolet copy.

Now I'm wondering if I should get those to replace my old Blu Ray extended box set, along with the theatricals.

Decisions, decisions.

Hmm. Interesting. I just read about Blu-Ray Extended Edition Steelbooks that come with a digital UltraViolet copy.

Now I'm wondering if I should get those to replace my old Blu Ray extended box set, along with the theatricals.

Decisions, decisions.

I've been wanting to pick up the Blu-Rays for all the behind the scenes stuff, since I've been wanting to go through them for a while now. Rather annoying all things considered.

Scavenger

Yes. They're amazing.

The Italian and German releases from Warner Bros with English subtitles are still in print: Both the Italian and German releases are sold at the respective Amazon sites for €39.99/£28.

They're also the kind of movies you just leave on all day over a holiday.

I picked up the Blu-ray Extended Trilogy a while back and haven't had the chance to sit down and watch them. First day of Christmas vacation I am sitting down with a bottle or two of mulled wine in front of the fire and just binging.

Oh, and best movies ever by the way. Best. Ever.

Most people tend to love the movies, so give 'em a shot.

Having said that, you may be one of the few people that find them incredibly boring.

I did- even as a casual fan of fantasy and a fan of Peter Jackson's previous films I found the movies boring as hell.

Klotera

I will disagree with some here and say go ahead and watch extended for your first time. They do fill in a lot of gaps. Even though they're longer, they don't "feel" longer. It also makes it easy to break up into 6 parts, if you want. Last time I re-watched the EEs, I just did a disc a day. Kind of like a miniseries.

I tried to do it a few days ago. Couldn't finish watching The Return of the King. I've already watched the movies before, and I really love them, so it felt weird not being able to finish the last one.

I think they are amazing and a bit of a Tolkien fan.

My wife was a bit... Eerm not sure and definitely on the raises eyebrows side of things BEFORE she watched them.

She gave them 9 out of 10.

Her first intro to fantasy was game of thrones

It's fine. I personally skipped the Sam and Frodo bits as those were really really boring for me.

You must be a medical marvel what with your HEART OF STONE

tumblr_mr3616VojC1qfofhwo2_250.gif

I instantly cross anybody who makes gay jokes about Sam and Frodo off my Christmas card list.

Not sure why you would recommend EEs to a first time viewer. It would just be too overly long for them and filled with scenes that look out of place, drag and cause pacing issues.

Watch the regular editions. If you really like them, you can always go back and watch the EE.

JayTapp

I personnaly recomend the extended editions. Makes the second one better.

One movie per weekend liek others recommended.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I love the fellowship of the ring but I don't really care much for the other two. They're fine movies I just don't really dig em as much as fellowship. The being said Return of the King and to a lesser extent Two Towers have way too much comic relief bullshit in them.

pringles

Not sure why you would recommend EEs to a first time viewer. It would just be too overly long for them and filled with scenes that look out of place, drag and cause pacing issues.

Watch the regular editions. If you really like them, you can always go back and watch the EE.
Extended Two Towers is a must. Theatrical is fine for the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom