• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been meaning to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy, should I give it a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

najehe

Banned
Your title is not in agreement with itself. Saying you have been meaning to watching the series, implies it is a certainty you want to watch the trilogy in the future. Asking us if you should watch it then contradicts the first clause by putting uncertainty about watching it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, according to the people here, Faramir's shtick in TT lacks substance in theatrical cut since most of his motivation and backstory are in the EE.

Your title is not in agreement with itself. Saying you have been meaning to watching the series, implies it is a certainty you want to watch the trilogy in the future. Asking us if you should watch it then contradicts the first clause by putting uncertainty about watching it.

It's called asking for some opinion if I should go for it, you cheeky little user.

All I remember is he was funnier in the EE of TTT.

I can tell you that Faramir's character was hugely improved by the EEs.

We get both the scene in FOTR of him fawning over Galadriel which was instrumental in his softening towards the Elvish race. And in TTT we get his scene in the Glittering Caves. Both are considered in the books to be big moments for Gimli, who arguably doesn't get THAT many big moments at all.

I want to get the extended editions, but they're expensive on blu Ray. $50 for the set? Ehhh

Yeah I recently shelled out £35 (about $50) for the set. I think it's because for whatever reason (probably to get people to buy the set) the Two Towers went out of print on Blu Ray, so the set is more expensive as a result. Still, for the definitive versions of my favorite movies of all time in HD, not too bad.

Boss Doggie

I still don't get the eagle defense though. Your "they're not supposed to meddle with mortals" has been breached plenty of times.

...oh fuck I shouldn't really think hard about the eagles.

RedShift

I still don't get the eagle defense though. Your "they're not supposed to meddle with mortals" has been breached plenty of times.

...oh fuck I shouldn't really think hard about the eagles.

The whole point of the quest is to sneak up to Mt Doom. Sauron expected them to try and use the ring to attack him, it never really occurred to him they'd try to destroy it.

If they flew in with Eagles they might make it, but more likely Sauron or Saruman would see them coming by the time they crossed the Misty Mountains and send some of their flying minions (Crowbine, or you know, flying Nazgul) to intercept them and take the ring, while placing actual defences at Mt. Doom.

The only way it could work is with Stealth. Giant flying eagles are not stealthy.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah one thing I wondered at the epilogue, did they ever confirm if Frodo's mangled finger to be forever gone? I remember seeing a scene (he was writing) where his hands are visible, but I thought it was his finger folded than cut.

Frodo and Sam made it to mount doom because they weren't seen, eagles would have got destroyed by the whole army of sauron

I guess they could have used eagles to get closer to mordor and avoid some of the hassle, but this wasn't the hardest part of the journey
Eagles could have helped earlier in the hobbit though

Vashetti

Banned
Oh yeah one thing I wondered at the epilogue, did they ever confirm if Frodo's mangled finger to be forever gone? I remember seeing a scene (he was writing) where his hands are visible, but I thought it was his finger folded than cut.

He lost his finger and kept all the scars from the journey (e.g. Witch King's blade, Shelob's stinger, etc.)

Boss Doggie

Hmm I guess they don't want to show Frodo's hand a lot in the epilogue was because they can't replicate the cut finger properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom