• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Temptation is my favorite RR beer, but Supplication is nice as well.

Sanctification 4 life

Anyway, I like the new FW bottle size, makes picking up and actually drinking a huge beer like this a lot more appealing. This tastes a lot like their darker barleywines but there's nothing wrong with that.

x9nyfMn.jpg

Sap was my favorite of the 4 Treehouse ones I tried. Curiosity Thirty One was a closeish second I think with Julius and Green after them. Again, not my top style so my enjoyment doesn't mean anything relating to how good they actually are. Just know I'm happy I got to try them.

codhand

Friend just brought back some Treehouse stuff again. Even though I don't get too deep into IPAs I really enjoy these. They are some of the few that I could drink enjoyably all day. I can say that honestly because it's not a style I'm generally into and I've never been too deep into the hype of a product so I don't think it is just the name that I'm into. Is there anyone here who is into IPAs that has tried their stuff fresh as well? Curious about the opinion of someone who is more into the style.

Wish I could have tried some of the Single Shot that they got to try at the brewery, but not enough to have wanted to have made the trip.

the reason you like them despite an aversion to IPAs is because they aren't IPAs they are "New England Style IPAs" which is essentially, a totally different style of beer.

that said, they are the best at what they do; hazy, hop forward NE style ales, far better than Trillium whose best beers have all been Omnipollo collaborations.

the reason you like them despite an aversion to IPAs is because they aren't IPAs they are "New England Style IPAs" which is essentially, a totally different style of beer.

that said, they are the best at what they do; hazy, hop forward NE style ales, far better than Trillium whose best beers have all been Omnipollo collaborations.

Thanks for the info, it's good to know. Also, only have had one thing from Trillium that wasn't a colab so I am not really able to compare.

Yeah, they're a different beast. I like them in small doses, but I also tend to call them "IPAs for people who don't like IPAs." The lack of bitterness and juice-like qualities can get a bit overwhelming for my palate.

The nice thing is that a good number of WA breweries have started doing the hazy thing, but they still retain a nice bitter balance to them unlike some of the stuff I've had from the NE and other parts of the country. PNWxNE IPA, yo.

Wait, what? I have no idea what you're saying here.

Tired Hands has done a Milkshake IPA collab with Omnipollo, but that's all I know about. Every Trillium beer I've had was only made by Trillium.

Oh, BEST beers. And that was a stout. Now you're just throwing your opinion into it. ;-)

Picked up a few new ones (new to me anyway) today:

Modern Times - Lomaland (saison)
Founders - Imperial Stout
Mikkeller - Shapes (Former) (supposedly sort of a belgian blonde)
Mikkeller - Spontandryhop (dry hop citra sour ale)

And I've had this one before, it's quite good:
Off Color Brewing - Apex Predator (third trophic farmhouse ale)

I just had Mikkeller's Shapes (Former). Fantastic beer. Whiffs of floral saison, grass, and a strong undertone of smoke and black pepper, with a surprisingly creamy mouthfeel. Finishes clean. Very refreshing when cold. Now I wish I'd gotten more than one can of this.

Mdot

Tree House is absolutely amazing, but Trillium is right up there in my opinion. Their collab with Omnipollo was a great stout, but their standard IPAs, especially their DDH stuff is excellent.

Fremont is doing a private party tonight to unveil their Black Heron Project series of wild fermentation beers. $15 for a Teku glass, pours of all the beers and the option to buy stuff early at the end of the night. Should be fun.

modern_times.png

And Modern Times WA launch parties next week. I live by Toronado, so definitely heading over for some Dinosaur World and Guava Fruitlands.

HiResDes

So I misread the label of this Stillwater Tangerine Haze and didn't realize it said Wild on it, and was super surprised at the sour brett character, thought my bottle was infected at first.

Edit: I really liked Double Negative, everything besides the body was absolutely top notch.

Mdot

I have not.

Probably Grimm's best stout. Definitely worth seeking out next time they bottle it.

Their sours are equally amazing. More consistent than their IPAs, which have been hit or miss as of late. I expect the quality to go back up though once they open their brewery this year.

Opened the Modern Times' Lomaland saison tonight. Really disappointing. Tasted more like a pale ale with lemon juice added. I don't get what y'all see in that brewery; completely underwhelmed so far.

Now I'm drinking the Founders Imperial Stout. I prefer a Russian Imperial if I'm going to drink one, but this is a well-done American-style Imperial. It's not overly malty and over-carbonated like many of them are, and it has a really creamy mouthfeel. I'm surprised because my first experience with Founders was the porter and didn't like it at all.

HiResDes

Opened the Modern Times' Lomaland saison tonight. Really disappointing. Tasted more like a pale ale with lemon juice added. I don't get what y'all see in that brewery; completely underwhelmed so far.

Now I'm drinking the Founders Imperial Stout. I prefer a Russian Imperial if I'm going to drink one, but this is a well-done American-style Imperial. It's not overly malty and over-carbonated like many of them are, and it has a really creamy mouthfeel. I'm surprised because my first experience with Founders was the porter and didn't like it at all.
Founder's has great offerings all around even shit like Old Curmudgeon which no one talks about is fantastic.

Lotto

Lomaland is one of my least favorites from them but then again I'm not too big on saisons. Booming Rollers is just around the corner. Pick that up instead, it's one of my favorite rotating cans they have.

Anyone here an active member of Tavour? Seems like a very interesting way to order harder-to-get beers. But only if you live in the right handful of states, apparently.

ACE 1991

Brewed a saison this weekend, my original gravity reading weas super on point so it should turn out pretty tasty. Brewed primarily with Hersbrucker hops.

Also I wish there was more active discussion about homebrewing in this thread :(

riotous

Banned
Sweet, where did BrewDog open in the US? Had their Tokyo (Tokio) the other day after aging it for a year; was really good.

Also had the Dragon's MIlk Triple Mash this weekend; ~17% or so ABV, that was also delicious. Nice to pay $5 for a bottle that will get you tipsy after 1.

thabiz

Brewed a saison this weekend, my original gravity reading weas super on point so it should turn out pretty tasty. Brewed primarily with Hersbrucker hops.

Also I wish there was more active discussion about homebrewing in this thread :(

Liking the styles youre brewing up. Keep up the good work.

Ron Mexico

Never had much success with saisons but I put that more on my execution of the recipe than anything. Been meaning to give it another go but I have a Steam-esque backlog of recipes I want to try.

From the picture, I can say the biggest single upgrade to my brew setup was a Blichmann burner. Was using a turkey fryer for the longest time but was taking forever and inconsistent at best. The Blichmann wasn't cheap but well worth it.

Also think there used to be a homebrew thread floating around somewhere but it didn't get a lot of activity

Jarrod38

Sweet, where did BrewDog open in the US? Had their Tokyo (Tokio) the other day after aging it for a year; was really good.

Also had the Dragon's MIlk Triple Mash this weekend; ~17% or so ABV, that was also delicious. Nice to pay $5 for a bottle that will get you tipsy after 1.

Canal Winchester, Ohio

ACE 1991

Liking the styles youre brewing up. Keep up the good work.

Never had much success with saisons but I put that more on my execution of the recipe than anything. Been meaning to give it another go but I have a Steam-esque backlog of recipes I want to try.

From the picture, I can say the biggest single upgrade to my brew setup was a Blichmann burner. Was using a turkey fryer for the longest time but was taking forever and inconsistent at best. The Blichmann wasn't cheap but well worth it.

Also think there used to be a homebrew thread floating around somewhere but it didn't get a lot of activity

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a very rewarding recent hobby of mine :)

What problem did you run into with your saison? Only thing I'm slightly worried about is fermentation temperature, the yeast I used likes to ferment at a higher temperature than most ales. Defintely a lot of activity going on when I checked it this morning, though.

I love the burner I have, it's a Darkstar 2.0. My mother picked it up as a Christmas gift from Northern Brewer's site.

Ron Mexico

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a very rewarding recent hobby of mine :)

What problem did you run into with your saison? Only thing I'm slightly worried about is fermentation temperature, the yeast I used likes to ferment at a higher temperature than most ales. Defintely a lot of activity going on when I checked it this morning, though.

I love the burner I have, it's a Darkstar 2.0. My mother picked it up as a Christmas gift from Northern Brewer's site.

My saison was a comedy of errors I think. Went a little heavy on the candi sugar, was still bottling at that point so I over-carbonated as well, mostly due to the added sugar from the recipe. I also have only done all grain recipes and I'm not sure my spectrometer (or my reading of) or my math was accurate so I ended up with a boozy bottle rocket.

Lotto

I don't homebrew much but I've recently brewed some hype juicy IPA that I'm pretty happy with. I loosely followed a Tired Hands Hop Hands clone recipe but substituted most of the hops for whatever I had available. I used Chinook, Colombus, Citra, and Bravo. I tried not to deviate too much from the recipe since I'm still pretty new at it and just wanted to make something solid. Really like the mouthfeel and flavor it ended up with, kinda bummed we only brewed a 2.5 gallon batch though, going through it rather quickly.. All my brews before this one have been 5 gallon all-grain batches but since we found it harder to consume it all we're trying smaller batches, heh. Go figure the one we can drink a lot of we make a smaller batch.. I'd like to try and make a sour/funky beer at some point but still need to do research. Anyways, keep on brewing!

Socreges

Banned
One of my good friends has relatives in Virginia and he often brings back Troegs beers with him. They had a keg of Mad Elf for Christmas this year and got pretty wasted.

Mad Elf is going to be the one you'll likely hear the most about, but DreamWeaver is my favorite of their more widely-released beers. I don't know if some of their Scratch series make it to DC but some of those have been quite good-- going to be on draft only however.
Haven't heard of any of those, but I've really only seen their beer in one location in Maryland near Baltimore. TBH I first bought them because Hop Knife sounded good and I wanted something new. Stuck with them since, trying a new beer each time.

I felt like nugget nectar was pretty overrated when I had it last year but I did enjoy mad elf a lot. That beer is sneaky strong.
I got a 6 pack of Nugget Nectar. Drank 2 the first night, thought it was pretty good, nothing amazing. Drank another the next night and thought it was fantastic. Funny how context, mood, pallet etc can change taste for one person.

Bacon

I got a 6 pack of Nugget Nectar. Drank 2 the first night, thought it was pretty good, nothing amazing. Drank another the next night and thought it was fantastic. Funny how context, mood, pallet etc can change taste for one person.

So true. I was actually gifted a 6 pack of it for my birthday this weekend and thought it was much better than when I tried it last year. I thought it was excellent this time around. And I doubt the beer changed much, taste really can depend on so many outside factors.

ACE 1991

Paid $18 for 12oz of Russian River Consecration last night. Easily one of my top three favorite sours, such an amazing beer.

Set up an in-person trade while I'm in Orlando next week. Bringing a guy a bottle of HM Midnight Still for a bottle of Cycle's 3rd Anniversary BA Blue Mountain coffee stout.

ACE 1991

My saison was a comedy of errors I think. Went a little heavy on the candi sugar, was still bottling at that point so I over-carbonated as well, mostly due to the added sugar from the recipe. I also have only done all grain recipes and I'm not sure my spectrometer (or my reading of) or my math was accurate so I ended up with a boozy bottle rocket.

I don't homebrew much but I've recently brewed some hype juicy IPA that I'm pretty happy with. I loosely followed a Tired Hands Hop Hands clone recipe but substituted most of the hops for whatever I had available. I used Chinook, Colombus, Citra, and Bravo. I tried not to deviate too much from the recipe since I'm still pretty new at it and just wanted to make something solid. Really like the mouthfeel and flavor it ended up with, kinda bummed we only brewed a 2.5 gallon batch though, going through it rather quickly.. All my brews before this one have been 5 gallon all-grain batches but since we found it harder to consume it all we're trying smaller batches, heh. Go figure the one we can drink a lot of we make a smaller batch.. I'd like to try and make a sour/funky beer at some point but still need to do research. Anyways, keep on brewing!

Ah, ya'll are more hardcore than I am. I've only done extracts stuff to start out with. I'd like to try all grain at some point. Also, I fucking love Hop Hands. I get a growler fill of it pretty regularly.

Top Bottom