• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

riotous

Banned
Love Apple Brandy beers; but the Apple disappears pretty quick in my experience; which is odd since you'd expect an Apple Brandy to have a lasting flavor but it must be true of bottles of the stuff too.

More Gin barrels. Bottleworks had a gin-barrel Baltic Porter a couple years ago for their anniversary beer. Holy Mountain's Gin Table sour is amazing, and Gin barrel aged saisons kick ass.

Breakside from Portland has done some gin-barrel IPAs before. They're great. Upstream in Omaha has done ransom gin barrel aged saisons, same with Fremont here in Seattle.``

De Garde has Currant Gin Bu, Cran Bu and Gin Bu Rice (gin and vermouth barrel aged) which are all awesome. Back in the day before they switched to "all sour all the time," de Garde made Faux Pas, an Imperial Porter in Ransom gin barrels and also Mulligan, a wild IPA aged in gin barrels. I loved Mulligan. I wish they'd make stuff like that again. [sigh]

Lotto

Set up an in-person trade while I'm in Orlando next week. Bringing a guy a bottle of HM Midnight Still for a bottle of Cycle's 3rd Anniversary BA Blue Mountain coffee stout.

Nice. I had the Blue Mountain and Vietnamese versions of their Cycle stout at Mostra's 3rd anniversary. Couldn't taste the difference between them, but I was already 6 or so heavy beers in before having them. Not even sure if they were BA but I do remember them being pretty good.

Also we've been getting more deGarde distribution! I'm pretty happy. We got Petit Blanc which does have late harvest Riesling grapes in it.

Went to the Modern Times WA launch last night at Toronado. Had Dinosaur World, Fruitlands (Guava Passionfruit), Devil's Teeth Coffee and Devil's Teeth Almonds. Good times were had.

Nice. I had the Blue Mountain and Vietnamese versions of their Cycle stout at Mostra's 3rd anniversary. Couldn't taste the difference between them, but I was already 6 or so heavy beers in before having them. Not even sure if they were BA but I do remember them being pretty good.

Also we've been getting more deGarde distribution! I'm pretty happy. We got Petit Blanc which does have late harvest Riesling grapes in it.

Petit Blanc was here probably three weeks ago, sounds like you're on a bit of a delay compared to WA. We got Boysenberry Bu and Peach Bu last week. Boysenberry Bu saw wider distribution, so keep an eye out soon.

skynidas

Banned
So good. Best IPA for me in a while.

jZrpHwD.jpg

Lotto

Went to the Modern Times WA launch last night at Toronado. Had Dinosaur World, Fruitlands (Guava Passionfruit), Devil's Teeth Coffee and Devil's Teeth Almonds. Good times were had.

Petit Blanc was here probably three weeks ago, sounds like you're on a bit of a delay compared to WA. We got Boysenberry Bu and Peach Bu last week. Boysenberry Bu saw wider distribution, so keep an eye out soon.

Awesome. deGarde beers seem to bring that characteristic barnyard funk that other breweries around here don't seem to have so I'm always excited to see their stuff.

Also, welcome to the MT party! Dinosaur World is probably my second favorite can release so far from them. Underworld Dreams still takes the cake for me. Always good to see great beer see wider distribution.

Local place had one bottle of Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XIX again, so decided to bite. I remember the XVII being okay, but not worth the cash, and both variants of XVIII being the same (the rye version being the best). I figured, why not get this?

Yeah, regretting spending $23 for this bottle. It is good, but not $23 good. When ice cold it almost has this buttery smell and texture to it. Definitely better as it warms up, but I think three years in a row of trying it and being a sucker for limited releases is enough.

Funny enough, there are still bottles of XVIII around, as since it was whiskey barrels people didn't go as nuts, but I remember it being better. Maybe if they get marked down for no reason like the barrel aged Old Stock was. Because that was godly.

HiResDes

I missed out on Evil Twin Jesus variants because I don't check my twitter including Maple which I really really wanted to try.

I missed out on Evil Twin Jesus variants because I don't check my twitter including Maple which I really really wanted to try.

Maple showed back up here in SOKY again. Think there is still some sitting on the shelves. Have two stashed away, but I am not sure how it will age.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Local place had one bottle of Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XIX again, so decided to bite. I remember the XVII being okay, but not worth the cash, and both variants of XVIII being the same (the rye version being the best). I figured, why not get this?

Yeah, regretting spending $23 for this bottle. It is good, but not $23 good. When ice cold it almost has this buttery smell and texture to it. Definitely better as it warms up, but I think three years in a row of trying it and being a sucker for limited releases is enough.

Funny enough, there are still bottles of XVIII around, as since it was whiskey barrels people didn't go as nuts, but I remember it being better. Maybe if they get marked down for no reason like the barrel aged Old Stock was. Because that was godly.

Complaining about $23 beers... you need to come to Canada and see the prices here. :(

Beer definitely is not cheap in Canada. Bombers aren't as sticker-shock-y, but six packs holy shit.

But still cheaper than Japan.

Seriously, beer is crazy expensive in Japan. $13-14 for a pint of craft beer is commonplace.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Beer definitely is not cheap in Canada. Bombers aren't as sticker-shock-y, but six packs holy shit.

But still cheaper than Japan.

Seriously, beer is crazy expensive in Japan. $13-14 for a pint of craft beer is commonplace.

Depends what beer. Mainstream and local stuff is 9-12 CAD but anything special is more. Even More Jesus on draft was $16 and wasn't even a pint. Bombers, depending what it is, can be 15-30+ CAD. Hell, Ale Apothecary got up to $60 CAD. Life is rough up north, but thankfully a lot more local breweries are popping up putting out good shit.

We have expensive pours like that here in WA, too. I've spent enough time in both BC and Japan. Japan is the king of expensive draft beer. Hands down.

Some Ale Apothecary bottles retail for $45. At the brewery. So that markup isn't shocking.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Wait. What province do you live in? Cause I'm certainly not paying anywhere near 23 bucks. 13 is expensive as hell in Ontario.

Alberta. We've had a lot of changes in regards to taxation of alcohol, especially beer and stuff made out of Canada and even Alberta. Muskoka had to pull out due to it. The way things are going it's only to get worse too.

Badgerst3

Bought 2 at a So Cal Bottlecraft this fall. Really good. Aging one so who knows how it will turn out.

Also highly recommend Firestone Walker XX. Steep price but so many flavors come together well for a BA. Prefer it to Parabola.

Did you get Michigan Maple Jesus when it was out? I have a bottle if you missed that one. I know another maple variant just hit and disappeared quickly. Didn't get a bottle but the guy that runs the local bar opened one up. Evil Twin is damn fine at barrel-aging.

Did you get Michigan Maple Jesus when it was out? I have a bottle if you missed that one. I know another maple variant just hit and disappeared quickly. Didn't get a bottle but the guy that runs the local bar opened one up. Evil Twin is damn fine at barrel-aging.

What is the new BA variant?

Bacon

Evil twin fucking pumps out beers. I'm always amazed at the number of imperial stouts alone that they have nevermind all the other kinds.

Mdot

Had the Double Barrel Jesus over the weekend, which was right on par with Michigan Maple.

Sticking on the stout category, I cracked a 32oz growler of TrillBOMB! I had in my fridge and it was amazing. Coffee was so intense and the chiles came through at the end. Excellent stuff.

Jarnet87

I'm a bit surprised Florida still doesn't get Firestone Walker considering how many states they distribute to. I think we will get their beers in the next couple years. Picked up my first Grimm sour the other day, Present Perfect.

riotous

Banned
Picked up some new stuff today. This is the first time I've seen the smaller Firestone vintage bottles. Are they transitioning fully to these?

Yup; Bravo the first release of the year and they plan to do 12 oz. bottles instead of the bombers indefinitely.

I have mixed feelings.

edit: And let us know how that Heart Shaped Box is; I think I might do Hellshire Day this year.

Yup; Bravo the first release of the year and they plan to do 12 oz. bottles instead of the bombers indefinitely.

I have mixed feelings.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like the bombers for sharing, or for when I want to drink a whole bottle of my faves like Helldorado or Stickee. OTOH, probably better for my waistline to have smaller servings.

I'll have to do the math to see if it's a better/worse deal per oz.

I'm a bit surprised Florida still doesn't get Firestone Walker considering how many states they distribute to. I think we will get their beers in the next couple years. Picked up my first Grimm sour the other day, Present Perfect.

We still don't get them in OH. They're one of my most wanted along with Port/Lost Abbey (as far as breweries with a realistic chance of coming in). Still mad about Allagash leaving just so they could sell to Cali.

Just finished the bottle of Evil Twin Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break. Quite tasty, but feels like a not as good variation on BOMB! and Xocoveza. I was happy that the chiles were more subdued and in the aftertaste, but all the different flavors were not as well balanced as Xocoveza. I did like that it had a better, thicker body than that one though.

Definitely worth trying, but not worth going nuts to try and get.

HiResDes

Just finished the bottle of Evil Twin Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break. Quite tasty, but feels like a not as good variation on BOMB! and Xocoveza. I was happy that the chiles were more subdued and in the aftertaste, but all the different flavors were not as well balanced as Xocoveza. I did like that it had a better, thicker body than that one though.

Definitely worth trying, but not worth going nuts to try and get.
My buddy says Chainsmoker is the one to get now, might try and trade for some.

IMG_5694.jpg

Down in Orlando, walked to ABC Wines for some pool beers and a couple botttles to take home. Meeting up with a guy to do a trade, and he grabbed me a Last Snow bottle, too.

Florida has a really strange obsession with beetus bomb adjunct stouts and porters.

Saw Vanilla Hazlenut Zhukov yesterday but it was $22. That much for a non barrel aged stout? No thanks.

Top Bottom