• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Yep. Wasn't a fan of that. It would've hit harder if I still lived in the area. They were a favorite. Such a great location and decent beer.

If St. Arnolds sold out I think I'd quit. Most of what I can get is St Arnolds. They dominate all craft stuff here. Every store, every gas station, etc will have St Arnolds.

Any stout recommendations?

Where are you?

For an easily found, year round stout, you can't go wrong with Old Rasputin. Like a trusted friend in times of need, it is always there. While I believe there are better regular stouts out there in my region, Old Rasputin is the most easily found, and extremely reliable.

Toxi

Banned
Where are you?

For an easily found, year round stout, you can't go wrong with Old Rasputin. Like a trusted friend in times of need, it is always there. While I believe there are better regular stouts out there in my region, Old Rasputin is the most easily found, and extremely reliable.
I like stouts too, I'll check it out.

I like stouts too, I'll check it out.

The regularly found stout I love most around here is Founders, especially since they still have tons sitting around from 2 or so years ago so it has some time to mellow. Ten Fidy is also really fucking good.

Once Even More Jesus got cheap and went to cans, I have been getting that more than I should. And current seasonal here in KY is West Sixth Snake Eyes. Another cheap, solid stout. Easy to get a lot without breaking the bank.

But Old Rasputin is available just about everywhere at any time of the year, which makes it a very easy recommendation.

Where are you?

Old Rasputin is definitely Old Reliable, though its punch in the jaw may be a surprise to someone used to Guinness (I don't know what the asker is used to). But speaking of Guinness, you can't go wrong with Old 38, which is by the same company (North Coast) as Rasputin. Creamy and tasty and nothing too potent.

HiiiLife

Any stout recommendations?

EvilTwin's Even More Jesus has become a go-to for me. There's no shortage of expensive BBA stouts out there, but Jesus is a good value and a great stout. Packs a punch, but pretty well balanced.

Where are you?

Where are you?

Denver. I've tried a handful of craft beers and liked them, but can't put names to em and just have shitty memory.

But thanks I'll see if they stock em at the stores round me.

Denver. I've tried a handful of craft beers and liked them, but can't put names to em and just have shitty memory.

But thanks I'll see if they stock em at the stores round me.

Imperial Stout:

Yeti from Great Divide is an excellent imperial stout out of Denver.
As PhoncipleBone suggested, Ten Fidy is another great local Imperial Stout.
American Stout:
Avery has Out of Bounds as a winter seasonal, but you should probably still be able to find some cans hanging around.
Milk Stout/Sweet Stout:
Left Hand's Milk Stout is a pretty classic example of that style.
Ska's Steel toe is enjoyable.

Depending what you like about stouts, there might be some good Porters up your alley as well.
I'd suggest giving Odell's Cutthroat Porter a a go.

You've got a huge selection in Denver and these are just a few of the more ubiquitous examples that should be easy to find at almost any place that sell craft beer.

Mitch

Banned
If St. Arnolds sold out I think I'd quit. Most of what I can get is St Arnolds. They dominate all craft stuff here. Every store, every gas station, etc will have St Arnolds.
They jump started my love for craft beer. They're doing fantastic work. Favorite brewery to visit hands down. My dad ships Lawnmower, Art Car and Pub Crawl Pale to my girlfriend and I up in Cleveland. It's nice having a taste of home in my beer fridge.

Where are you?

Still haven't had this one yet. Planned on having a stout and some thin mints tonight, so I may pick one up while running errands.

The history of the RIS is as beguiling as the beer itself. Russian Imperial Stouts got their name because in the 18th century the English were shipping imperial stouts to the Russian court of Catherine the Great. I don't know if Catherine herself liked the brew (though an English brewer at the time claimed she did), but the people around her certainly seemed to. I've heard the apocryphal story about the English having to fortify their beer with a higher alcohol and hops content to last the long journey by ship, but this seems like bullshit to me. There's another story that they were higher in alcohol and hops to avoid freezing when traveling up to St. Petersburg, and that's slightly more plausible, but still questionable. I think the Russian royalty just liked the imperial stouts the English were making, and the stronger the better. Over time, that 'natural selection' of boozy stouts became a style itself.

Hops a week ago:
hyi582X.jpg

Hops after severe trimming this afternoon:

Looking forward to seeing what the difference is between this year, and letting them run wild over the past two years.

Also discovered you can eat the young bines, and they taste like asparagus, so:

riotous

Banned
Man Hellshire Fest was a blast; so many great beers. A nice amount of sours to balance the amazing stouts and other dark beers. Now I'm back in Seattle enjoying Brouwers Back in Black.

Grabbed quite a few things in Oregon; had a 30% discount due to the VIP at Hellshire and then just great prices and no tax at a couple of bottle shops had me buying a lot on wax.

Passed through Richmond on Sunday and stopped by the Veil 20 minutes before closing and was thrilled to see they still had Vanilla Sleeping Forever on tap. It may be the best thing I've had all year and I'm going back tomorrow just for it it was so good. I will have to live my life knowing I probably could have gotten a bottle but didn't.

Anyway, anyone else going to Dark Lord Day?

ShinAmano

Passed through Richmond on Sunday and stopped by the Veil 20 minutes before closing and was thrilled to see they still had Vanilla Sleeping Forever on tap. It may be the best thing I've had all year and I'm going back tomorrow just for it it was so good. I will have to live my life knowing I probably could have gotten a bottle but didn't.

Anyway, anyone else going to Dark Lord Day?
It is so good.

I am hoping it is still on tap today. Also without ticket there were 16 bottles the next day so it would have been rough...first guy got in line at 4am.

HiResDes

Can't believe how sweet No Rules is like if you dumped chocolate ice cream into BCBS I don't think it'd be this sweet, wasted thirty bucks on two bombers of this.

It is so good.

I am hoping it is still on tap today. Also without ticket there were 16 bottles the next day so it would have been rough...first guy got in line at 4am.

It wasn't and I was crushed. Literally drove down just to get some more not caring about anything else since they said they still had some left at closing on Sunday. Guess they decided to save it for a more special day. Picked up a few of the new cans and chilled for a bit before going to the Answer and home. Answer had a fucking amazing thing that wasn't there Sunday and wasn't even on the paper beerlist yet, Lychee Creamsicle, on top of still having Cash Me Outside, so the trip was well worth it even if I was really really bummed out.

Anyway, still hope to meet up with you sometime when I'm down there for a longer amount of time. Now I prep for Dark Lord Day.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Guys, got recommendations for interesting places for a beer enthousiast in New York? I'm spending 10 days in the city (flying there next friday) and I've been doing some searching but it's a bit overwhelming :). Be it a bar, pub, rooftop bar, beer garden, brewpub or anything in between.

If you are still looking for places, I didn't seem SingleCut Beersmiths over in Queens recommended. Probably a bit out of the way from the other recommendations, but I have enjoyed the IPAs and Stouts I have had from them.

Mitch

Banned
This shit should be condemned:

Proclamation's FB post
For anyone wondering how AB InBev acquiring craft breweries effects the brewers, suppliers, growers and consumers of the market, here's an example of the things that many craft brewers are scared of...

To set the stage, we purchased a few hundred lbs of South African hops from a small hop distributor that was dealing with some of the small SA farms/growers. The farms were under the umbrella of SAB which was recently acquired in the merger of AB/Miller Coors a little while ago. We were super excited to work with these hops as they were from a new growing region with new varietals and hence
Had new unique flavor profiles, also, the business we purchased them from was a small boutique hop shop that will be losing a huge chunk of what they work with to maintain their business.

Anyway. Here's what we received via email today:

Along with the news late last week of ABI buying Wicked Weed, I was informed by SAB Hop Farms (part of ABI’s purchase of SAB-Miller) that ABI are commandeering all the hops that were to be allocated for distribution to North American craft brewers. The goal is to sell the hops internally to their acquired (former) craft breweries, even though they have not been able to sell all the hops as of yet. Regardless, they refuse to let US craft brewers buy any CY 2017 hops believing this will afford them a competitive advantage in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
---------------
This is surely a sad turn of events. It sucks for the brewers, but has an even more tremendously shitty impact of the great guys that built a company around selling these hops to craft brewers. 😕

AB/InBev is also aggresively buying up as many used bourbon barrels as they can. The owner of Fremont Brewing has said it's get harder and harder to source barrels every year.

TheFlow

Banned
Goose island ipa has become my go to beer. cheap, and strong enough that I only need a few.

Anyway I tried an amazing Ipa last week at a ramen shop no less.

such an amazing beer,that now I wanna try everything from this Brewery.

Also tried that Koana guava beer, and has a nice taste.

HiResDes

Goose island ipa has become my go to beer. cheap, and strong enough that I only need a few.

That's the beer I made most of worst decisions on and I still go back to it... Just don't drink it like a session as easy as that is

Probably the most reliable IPA I can get at restaurants here. Even places with mostly shit tap lists have this, and thank god. Damn good stuff.

Found the best news ever while doing my pretrip checks for Dark Lord Day:

"The tote bags will be pre-packed, and the variant/vintage bottles you receive will be at random. The total quantities of each variant will be divided evenly among groups A-E."

I prefer that kind of system greatly on something like this. Even if I "just" get 2 vintage Dark Lords at least I know I have a chance at the Variants I would really like.

Found the best news ever while doing my pretrip checks for Dark Lord Day:

"The tote bags will be pre-packed, and the variant/vintage bottles you receive will be at random. The total quantities of each variant will be divided evenly among groups A-E."

I prefer that kind of system greatly on something like this. Even if I "just" get 2 vintage Dark Lords at least I know I have a chance at the Variants I would really like.

That is amazing. Let the bitter tears flow on the internet.

Mitch

Banned

Now that like you Two Hearted, you should switch over to that instead of Goose Island! 😉

ShinAmano

It wasn't and I was crushed. Literally drove down just to get some more not caring about anything else since they said they still had some left at closing on Sunday. Guess they decided to save it for a more special day. Picked up a few of the new cans and chilled for a bit before going to the Answer and home. Answer had a fucking amazing thing that wasn't there Sunday and wasn't even on the paper beerlist yet, Lychee Creamsicle, on top of still having Cash Me Outside, so the trip was well worth it even if I was really really bummed out.

Anyway, still hope to meet up with you sometime when I'm down there for a longer amount of time. Now I prep for Dark Lord Day.
Answer is just firing on all cylinders.

Anyone going to Jackie Os on the 24th? Want to work out a trade/something for the collab?

Mitch

Banned
Finally getting MadTree distribution in Cleveland starting early August. Haven't had much from them, but I really do love their flagship IPA.

That's worrisome to hear. I've been mostly ambivalent about the AB/InBev buyouts, but may have to start boycotting them.
Do it! There's enough small guys around that could do with your business that you can still drown in fantastic beer. If your favourite small guy sells out, there are probably another five or ten small guys that popped up in that time anyway.

Chris R

So, at a bar last night... they had BOTTLES of Deal with the Devil for $20... I paid $30 retail at the local store when I last found some lol

Know what I'm getting next time if it's still on the menu. I'll bring a thermos to take the rest home too.

riotous

Banned
AB/InBev is also aggresively buying up as many used bourbon barrels as they can. The owner of Fremont Brewing has said it's get harder and harder to source barrels every year.

This is the stuff of nightmares.

I don't think I've bought an AB/InBev beer in years, the Lagunitas selling to Heineken might have me avoiding them too.

So, at a bar last night... they had BOTTLES of Deal with the Devil for $20... I paid $30 retail at the local store when I last found some lol

Know what I'm getting next time if it's still on the menu. I'll bring a thermos to take the rest home too.

Jesus. I want some of that again. Got it in early 2015 and it was divine.

This is the stuff of nightmares.

I don't think I've bought an AB/InBev beer in years, the Lagunitas selling to Heineken might have me avoiding them too.

Ballast Point is owned by the same company as High West Distilling (what Lagunitas has used in High Westified), I've heard they'll have exclusive access to their used barrels from now on.

Ballast Point is owned by the same company as High West Distilling (what Lagunitas has used in High Westified), I've heard they'll have exclusive access to their used barrels from now on.

If they're using their own whiskey barrels and making those exclusive, I have no problem with that. I mean you can't really fault them for using their own stuff. Plus, I can't give up drinking Victory at Sea.

I definitely have some anti-competitive concerns with the industry though, especially since the bourbon scene is already so consolidated.

riotous

Banned

If they're using their own whiskey barrels and making those exclusive, I have no problem with that. I mean you can't really fault them for using their own stuff..

Yeah but they bought themselves into that situation; it's a symptom of the problem we are talking about and part of the issue with big corporations in general.

Ironically, a few hours after posting my Lagunitas comment, I had a High-Westified Cafe Leche edition lol. Shit was delicious.

If they're using their own whiskey barrels and making those exclusive, I have no problem with that. I mean you can't really fault them for using their own stuff. Plus, I can't give up drinking Victory at Sea.

I definitely have some anti-competitive concerns with the industry though, especially since the bourbon scene is already so consolidated.

Constellation who bought Ballast Point in the past, recently purchased High West. I haven't seen confirmation that barrel monopoly it will happen, but the continued rumblings are out there.

riotous

Banned
It's sad because I doubt there's enough people who care to make any boycott really do anything; I think the best bet is for the brewers themselves to continue to make a big deal about the sellouts. I almost wish they din't candy coat all of their messages with "we of course are still great friends" but I get it.

It's sad because I doubt there's enough people who care to make any boycott really do anything; I think the best bet is for the brewers themselves to continue to make a big deal about the sellouts. I almost wish they din't candy coat all of their messages with "we of course are still great friends" but I get it.

There are a few breweries who don't sugar coat it. The owner of Fremont is a frequent poster in the NW forum on BeerAdvocate and makes his stance very clear.

Top Bottom