• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Yeah but they bought themselves into that situation; it's a symptom of the problem we are talking about and part of the issue with big corporations in general.

True, but I see it as less "evil" than AB/InBev making exclusive deals with bourbon distilleries for their barrels. That's just straight up anti-competitive. Hopefully we never get to the state of the bourbon market where it's hard to tell where a specific bourbon is even distilled, and where they all have craft heritage stories but the vast majority are owned by major corps. Though I guess the beer scene is heading in that direction.

Picked up some random stuff today...
+ Rothaus - Tannen Zäpfle pilsner (refreshing German brew)
+ Fremont - The Sister Imperial IPA
+ Founders - Sumatra Mountain brown ale (gotta support the brown ales)
+ Great Divide - Nadia Kali hibiscus saison
+ Bells - Two Hearted Ale because apparently I should try it

Mitch

Banned
True, but I see it as less "evil" than AB/InBev making exclusive deals with bourbon distilleries for their barrels. That's just straight up anti-competitive. Hopefully we never get to the state of the bourbon market where it's hard to tell where a specific bourbon is even distilled, and where they all have craft heritage stories but the vast majority are owned by major corps. Though I guess the beer scene is heading in that direction.

Picked up some random stuff today...
+ Rothaus - Tannen Zäpfle pilsner (refreshing German brew)
+ Fremont - The Sister Imperial IPA
+ Founders - Sumatra Mountain brown ale (gotta support the brown ales)
+ Great Divide - Nadia Kali hibiscus saison
+ Bells - Two Hearted Ale because apparently I should try it
When it comes down to it, Bells Two Hearted is a stellar basic IPA. No frills. Solid 3.5-3.75 IMO.

Sumatra Mountain Brown is probably my favorite beer from Founders now that I think about it. Aged one for a year. Loved it even more than I do a fresh one.

Decided to get a Prairie Pe-Kan the other day, so I'll break into that here in a bit. Earlier I had a Dogfish Saison du Buff. Probably top 3 out of all the saisons I've had over the last year.

Any other Australia/Melburnians? It's Good Beer Week this week! What are your plans?

I checked out The Mill (fairly new brewery in Collingwood), Stomping Ground finally, grabbed a growler of kettle sour red from That Little Brewery, and cracked a 2014 10% whiskey barrel RIS (7 cent Big n Beardy). And there's still a whole week left!

Jarnet87

When it comes down to it, Bells Two Hearted is a stellar basic IPA. No frills. Solid 3.5-3.75 IMO.

Sumatra Mountain Brown is probably my favorite beer from Founders now that I think about it. Aged one for a year. Loved it even more than I do a fresh one.

Decided to get a Prairie Pe-Kan the other day, so I'll break into that here in a bit. Earlier I had a Dogfish Saison du Buff. Probably top 3 out of all the saisons I've had over the last year.

This years Sumatra is real good, grabbed a 4 pack after trying a bottle. Wish we had more imperial brown ales. A lot of companies put out a year round brown ale that is decent but they all tend to taste very similar and lean on thin side for mouth feel.

Man, the Firestone Leo v. Ursus continues to be a stellar DIPA. Unlike the Booming Rollers, I'm not getting tired of it. It has a perfect blend of west coast and hazey styles. Bitterness is perfectly balanced with the tropical fruit, creamy mouthfeel. Dangerously drinkable.

The Two-Hearted was solid. Not something I'd search out, but definitely drinkable. And good to hear on the Sumatra, looking forward to trying it.

Someone knows what's up

andylsun

Picked up a few random beers at the Carrefour in Taipei.

The Saison Du was lovely! Really really liked it. I've brewed a couple of saisons based on the Lord Nelson recipe but might have to see if I can get something close to this.

Edit: not a chance of making it! http://www.bunitedint.com/media/resources/release_sheets/saison_japon_sheetFA.pdf

hz0llU7l.jpg

Well that was quite a trip.

One of the people in my group that went for Dark Lord Day ended up getting food poisoning from some place we ate at when we stopped in Columbus Ohio. He decided to order a salad so he could justify getting the Nutter Butter cake they had advertised as a special, but then it was sold out by the time he ordered it. Luckly they don't really check the IDs inside when you make your pick up so I was able to swap with him when he couldn't wait in line. Two of the people I was with got vintage bags, I got a De Muerte, but since it is the only variant I've tried I traded it for a ChemTrailMix. Then that is what I picked up for the sick friend as well and so I traded it for a Ronaldo. Was happy with that since we just want to try different variants. I was unable to enjoy the day as much as I wanted because of taking care of friend/didn't get to try any of the variants from the kiosks. but whatever, it was fun.

The next day though I had a religious experience. You people need to go visit New Glarus. Not even pooping myself a little on the way(oh yeah, I ate some of the salad my friend did) could ruin it. The brewery itself is amazing and they had Raspberry Tart on tap. It is my favorite beer from them and it is amazing fresh. Then we went to a little bar that my friends went to last year in the town proper and even the town is amazing. Had some amazing German food at the little bar my friends went to last year that a local recommended me and couldn't have been happier. Like I would/will now make plans to visit it normally and not just when I have another reason to go. I have found my Mecca.

The way back wasn't as great since we were fooled into going to a fake meadery. Because of that detour we had to rush back to Three Floyds to pick up some of their normal beers that they don't sell on event day so couldn't stop in Chicago like we planned but whatever. I still have the memory of New Glarus.

And now back to reality. All the driving (drove all the way from there back to Northern VA monday) made me all driven out. That stopped me from going to go down to the Veil for their release today and of course they have Vanilla Sleeping Forever back on tap. If it wasn't my favorite thing I've had all year that wouldn't even matter. But again, whatever.

What exactly makes a meadery "fake"?

The location of it apparently. I honestly don't know much about it other then one of my group members saw a "Pips Meadery" being rated by a bunch of people at Dark Lord Day and decided we should go to it on the way back since it was just a bit off course. I was on cloud 9 from New Glarus so didn't care/even talk about it and just was along for the ride.

Heading back to Northern Virginia/DC next week for work. ChurchKey and Bier Baron are my two go-to spots, with nothing remarkable near where I'm staying by Reagan Airport.

Anyone have must-have recommendations I'm missing out on, and should make sure I hit this time around?

Heading back to Northern Virginia/DC next week for work. ChurchKey and Bier Baron are my two go-to spots, with nothing remarkable near where I'm staying by Reagan Airport.

Anyone have must-have recommendations I'm missing out on, and should make sure I hit this time around?

My wife's sister and her husband used to live on K Street in DC. Last time we visited (2013) we hit up Granville Moore's a couple times. Had a bottle of Fou Foune there. Also liked DC Brau.

So there's been an official push of Goose Island into Australia. Personally I'm not interested due to them being big beer nowadays, but it's brewed locally in Australia and supposedly "tailored" for Australian tastes (which from what I hear means the IPA has been dialed back so much it's basically a lager).

What are people's perception on Goose Island beers flavour post-buyout closer to its home? Has it stayed mostly the same? Changed for the worse? Better?

Goose IPA is boring and malty. I dunno. I do my best not to support InBev buying up breweries.

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2017/02/goose-island-spearheads-cub-craft/

lol, confused me for a while. Wonder if the medery situation was kinda similar; like someone who makes mead at home creating a meadery for their house.

FourSquare/Swarm lets you create any kind of location you want. I created a location in Bend called The Brewer's House that's categorized as a brewery. It's actually the brewmaster/owner of Crux's house but I thought it was fun.

And I drink in a Bomb Shelter. [shrug]

riotous

Banned
LOL, yeah you were the first person I noticed with a custom name for your house. I've googled a few others just to see if I missed a bottle shop/bar opening up.

LOL, yeah you were the first person I noticed with a custom name for your house. I've googled a few others just to see if I missed a bottle shop/bar opening up.

I didn't even create that location! I actually live across the street from a Cold War Bomb Shelter that's under I-5. Seemed like a fun place to check in beers when I started using Untappd in 2012.

riotous

Banned
I didn't even create that location! I actually live across the street from a Cold War Bomb Shelter that's under I-5. Seemed like a fun place to check in beers when I started using Untappd in 2012.

Oh nice! There's a shithole "Irish" restaurant (Shay's) a rock-throw from my house on Aurora; the place looks like it probably still reeks of cigarette smoke. I should start ironically checking in my craft beer there.

Mitch

Banned
First custom location I saw was "Bomb Shelter." Thought it was pretty cool. My girlfriend made "My Cozy Couch," so I just use that. I need to make my own, though. 90% of my at home drinking is done at my computer desk. May do something like "Brew Desk." idk

So I applied for an Assistant Canning Operator position at a large craft beer canning company the other day. Have a phone interview tomorrow. I've been wanting to get into the industry for the past few years, so I feel like this would be a great place to start.

Fingers crossed!

Oh nice! There's a shithole "Irish" restaurant (Shay's) a rock-throw from my house on Aurora; the place looks like it probably still reeks of cigarette smoke. I should start ironically checking in my craft beer there.

I've checked in whalez at nearby bars and then had people be all "what? I'm there and that beer isn't available!"

Did a bottle share with some guys at Toronado once and you could see guys on Untappd frantically looking around confused.

Y'all weren't kidding about the Founders Sumatra brown. Good stuff. Even used some for cooking.

Hmmm. Didn't think about using it for cooking.
Last time I got it I loved the flavor of it, but got a horrifying headache from it. But might grab a four pack to hold onto to use while making beer braised short ribs next time. Used Founders Porter last time and liked it, but feel the coffee might kick it up a notch.

Ron Mexico

If by chance you have a car for the trip, I always stop at Frisco Taphouse in Crofton. I think the closest Metro is New Carrollton and would be a pricey Uber out there. My company HQ is right on the MD side of the border so it's always a drive for me.

Heading out to LA/West Hollywood tomorrow to visit my brother for a week. Any good places I should consider hitting? Preferably not too far out of town.

Heading out to LA/West Hollywood tomorrow to visit my brother for a week. Any good places I should consider hitting? Preferably not too far out of town.

Tony's Darts Away in Burbank usually has some great brews, and some good bar food. Their sister bar/restaurant Mohawk Bend (in Echo Park, which is closer to you) has a more upscale feel, but has way more taps.

Eagle Rock Brewing is a really good LA brewery, worth a visit to their tap room. Mikkeller has a bar downtown you might want to check out. Quite a few breweries and other beer bars around town, but those are some of the hits.

Mitch

Banned
Founder's re-released Doom, a BBA DIPA, has anyone ever had it??
Not yet. Once it hits shelves here in CLE, I'll pick a bottle up.

Heading to 3 Floyds for a day towards the end of July. Pretty pumped to finally visit. Also staying in Chicago the day after. Have a nice list of places to hit up. Anyone have any recommendations of bars/restaurants to hit up?

Founder's re-released Doom, a BBA DIPA, has anyone ever had it??

Had it back in 2009 at Jungle Jim's when Dave from Founder's came down for an event (rare back then) and again when it was bottled in 2013. It's good and definitely worth trying. Not often that DIPAs get barrel-aged. Believe it was originally Double Trouble they aged, not sure if it still is.

Oakshire event here in Corvallis tonight, so I'll be able to try this year's Hellshire VII despite having missed the big Hellshire extravaganza earlier this month.

HiResDes

Had it back in 2009 at Jungle Jim's when Dave from Founder's came down for an event (rare back then) and again when it was bottled in 2013. It's good and definitely worth trying. Not often that DIPAs get barrel-aged. Believe it was originally Double Trouble they aged, not sure if it still is.
Gonna check that out fasho then

ShinAmano

Well that was quite a trip.

One of the people in my group that went for Dark Lord Day ended up getting food poisoning from some place we ate at when we stopped in Columbus Ohio. He decided to order a salad so he could justify getting the Nutter Butter cake they had advertised as a special, but then it was sold out by the time he ordered it. Luckly they don't really check the IDs inside when you make your pick up so I was able to swap with him when he couldn't wait in line. Two of the people I was with got vintage bags, I got a De Muerte, but since it is the only variant I've tried I traded it for a ChemTrailMix. Then that is what I picked up for the sick friend as well and so I traded it for a Ronaldo. Was happy with that since we just want to try different variants. I was unable to enjoy the day as much as I wanted because of taking care of friend/didn't get to try any of the variants from the kiosks. but whatever, it was fun.

The next day though I had a religious experience. You people need to go visit New Glarus. Not even pooping myself a little on the way(oh yeah, I ate some of the salad my friend did) could ruin it. The brewery itself is amazing and they had Raspberry Tart on tap. It is my favorite beer from them and it is amazing fresh. Then we went to a little bar that my friends went to last year in the town proper and even the town is amazing. Had some amazing German food at the little bar my friends went to last year that a local recommended me and couldn't have been happier. Like I would/will now make plans to visit it normally and not just when I have another reason to go. I have found my Mecca.

The way back wasn't as great since we were fooled into going to a fake meadery. Because of that detour we had to rush back to Three Floyds to pick up some of their normal beers that they don't sell on event day so couldn't stop in Chicago like we planned but whatever. I still have the memory of New Glarus.

And now back to reality. All the driving (drove all the way from there back to Northern VA monday) made me all driven out. That stopped me from going to go down to the Veil for their release today and of course they have Vanilla Sleeping Forever back on tap. If it wasn't my favorite thing I've had all year that wouldn't even matter. But again, whatever.
Awesome...im so There next year.

Having a share in a couple weeks with 4 guys...bvdl, assassin, ba abraxas, og rare and ba IGCC. Bring that chemtrailmix :)

Chris R

Hadn't had a DIPA in quite some time.... fuckers got me on my ass, had to struggle to get past the bitterness but now I'm enjoying it

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Thanks for the recommendations for New York a couple pages back guys. We went to (and enjoyed) The Ginger Man and the One Mile House, Radegast and a random bar with a nice selection we bumped into in Upper East Side called Bondurants. Especially The Ginger Man was a a blessing at the time, away from the chaos outside, nice friendly atmosphere and nice selection of beers.

Something I noticed: no matter where I was buying alcohol, I got asked to ID myself. And always, my (European) driver's license was fine. But I was never asked to ID myself in a craft beer pub :)

Totally understand. Btw if your ever interested in rva stuff just let me know happy to snag some for you. :)

I'm very interested in it and will need to meet up sometime for some sharing. Wish I wasn't so fucking busy the last few days since of course The Veil has had Vanilla Sleeping Forever up again right when I can't manage the drive. It's going to be gone by the time I am too. Last time I came down it was just for that and they decided not to put it up.

Also got a guy that is trading me a can of Hornswoggler that I haven't been able to connect with as well. Just been too busy since the trip and it looks like rain all next week so who knows if he will be at the next Veil release.

riotous

Banned
Oakshire event here in Corvallis tonight, so I'll be able to try this year's Hellshire VII despite having missed the big Hellshire extravaganza earlier this month.

What did you get to try? Hellshire VII is really good; did they have the 2016 Special Reserve by chance? One of the best beers I've had; the maple breakfast version of VII was amazing too.

Top Bottom