• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Black Tuesday coming soon then? I just drank a Share This OC and loved it. Always down for the stouts by Bruery. Although I am terrified about how expensive Black Tuesday will be.

On a different note, while in CA I didn't get a chance to go to any breweries or bars, but did find a bottle of Firestone Parabola at Trader Joes. Was damn tasty. I am happy to have finally tried that.

Lotto

Speaking of the Bruery... http://www.thebruery.com/partnership-with-castanea/
Not really sure how it'll affect them going forward but some food for thought.

Also, just came back (well two weeks ago) from the Philippines and the craft beer scene there seems to be in it's infancy. I didn't really get to go check out much even though I was there for three weeks.. (I got a big family to attend to) but most of the craft stuff I did try was decent. San Miguel Light/Pale and Red Horse everywhere all the time isn't fun though. I had about a half dozen craft beers and I think most of it was pretty old. Tried an IPA that tasted like boiled peanuts and was just super malty. It's probably pretty hard to acquire hops over there but I want to see craft beer explode everywhere! Still had some fun times drinking San Mig/Red Horse with the relatives.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
WL8tair.jpg

Wtf is this? I don't know why this pisses me off so much... but it does.

Had a very refreshing Gose with peaches from Black Market Brewing today. First time I've had anything of theirs, they're out of Temecula, CA. Tart, salty, peachy. Good stuff.

Peanut Butter Snickers Vanilla Sleeping Forever. It was pretty good.
Glade I went, but I liked the Vanilla more I think.

The real highlight of my week though was finally getting into mead. The Weight of the World was amazing, and everyone I sent to go pick some up and have me pay them for it decided to keep it for themselves after getting to try it. Which is fine, but really amusing. Really wish I could have gotten more bottles though since I share with 2 people and the little bottles don't go far that way,

I'm going to Morocco June 22nd to July 4th, which is awesome. I have to take anti-Typhoid medication before we leave and I can't drink alcohol during the 8 day period (4 pills, one every other day). I don't have a problem not drinking beer, but damn there are too many cool events coming up, I'm not sure which 8 day stretch to pick.

First world problems.

HiResDes

So pissed when they switched from screen printing to stickers for the Enjoy By series. Bunch of cheapskates.
I can't say I give a damn
I'm going to Morocco June 22nd to July 4th, which is awesome. I have to take anti-Typhoid medication before we leave and I can't drink alcohol during the 8 day period (4 pills, one every other day). I don't have a problem not drinking beer, but damn there are too many cool events coming up, I'm not sure which 8 day stretch to pick.

First world problems.
Will you be able to bring back stuff at least? Or would the duties be really high?

Will you be able to bring back stuff at least? Or would the duties be really high?

I've never had a problem bringing beer back from another country (Japan, Belgium, Spain, Canada), but the options in Morocco are basically adjunct lager #1 and adjunct lager #2. There's only one brewery in the entire country and it's owned by Heineken in partnership with the Moroccan government. I'm still excited to try them, though. We do have one night in Amsterdam on the way home, so maybe I can find something fun to bring home.

The crazy part is the rules on what you can bring into Morocco. You're limited to 1 liter per party. Period. I was planning on bringing some IPAs to share with my brother-in-law, so I'll be hauling two 16 oz tallboy cans with me.

So, you should check this out if you meet the following criteria...

1. You like Holy Mountain beers.
2. You want in on a new brewery who should be releasing more details soon.
3. You live in or close to Seattle. No Proxies allowed.

http://floodlandbrewing.com/

Former head brewer at Holy Mountain left over a year ago and is doing his own thing in Seattle. There will be a bottle club (last I heard it's $200 for 10 bottles (2 beers each) and 2 glasses). Sours, saisons and barrel aged wild fermentation stuff. Maybe wild stouts. No public tasting room, just come pick up your stuff at the barrel room in Fremont. Maybe tastings on release days for members.

Lotto

So, you should check this out if you meet the following criteria...

1. You like Holy Mountain beers.
2. You want in on a new brewery who should be releasing more details soon.
3. You live in or close to Seattle. No Proxies allowed.

http://floodlandbrewing.com/

Former head brewer at Holy Mountain left over a year ago and is doing his own thing in Seattle. There will be a bottle club (last I heard it's $200 for 10 bottles (2 beers each) and 2 glasses). Sours, saisons and barrel aged wild fermentation stuff. Maybe wild stouts. No public tasting room, just come pick up your stuff at the barrel room in Fremont. Maybe tastings on release days for members.

Sounds amazing. I don't meet criteria #3 though :(

classic hipster logic on his part

He didn't like how the other two owners were handling that stuff among other things, so he quit and had them buy him out. Seems pretty reasonable to me. If he can run it like Ale Apothecary I'd be cool with that.

I don't blame him. The hype monster at Holy Mountain is ridiculous right now, even if I still love their beer.

Mitch

Banned
Similar thing happened to a brewery here in Cleveland.

One of the original owners opened up their small brewhouse with a decent patio. He was fine with just that, nothing more. Then the other owners wanted to distribute, expand and have multiple locations. So he left and opened up his own little thing across town.

riotous

Banned
Speaking of lines; I have a Rusty Nail curse. Probably my favorite beer, and I'd love to buy 4 tomorrow, but my wife is out of town this weekend. Same thing happened last year lol.

Speaking of lines; I have a Rusty Nail curse. Probably my favorite beer, and I'd love to buy 4 tomorrow, but my wife is out of town this weekend. Same thing happened last year lol.

Apparently they made a ton more this year. Might have some on draft after HM.

My wife is busy tomorrow morning and I'm not dragging my kid with me to stand in line for bottles. Letting go is nice.

HiResDes

Got this Blueberry Berliner Weiss from White Birch, it's not a good example of the style, but it's still pretty good for the summer. 5.5 alcohol percentage and more malt than it should have but feeling it. Really just want a little more carbonation.

Old coworker that moved to CO came back to town and brought a bottle of Wiley Roots Cinnamon Imperial Something Came For You in the Mail Today. Very excited to try it.

Ron Mexico

One of the best things about getting out of the whale scene is being able to enjoy the hell out of the under the radar finds.

Just had a gose from a small little place in south Jersey that would have had a line around the block had it been advertised as the next big thing. Instead, just me and my better half enjoying the hell out of a beer that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Starting to feel like Jersey has a totally underrated beer scene. And I can't stand Carton and am totally apathetic towards Kane.

riotous

Banned
One of the best things about getting out of the whale scene is being able to enjoy the hell out of the under the radar finds.

These things arent mutually exusive though. Ill wait in lines here or there but some of my favorites arent even close to whales.

If hunting hyped beer takes away from your enjoyment of non hyped beer thats pretty weird,

Ron Mexico

These things arent mutually exusive though. Ill wait in lines here or there but some of my favorites arent even close to whales.

If hunting hyped beer takes away from your enjoyment of non hyped beer thats pretty weird,

It started to. More to the story, but being friends with a couple of...I don't know what to call them, but you know the type-- on all the local FB groups, overly invested into the trading scene, etc etc killed the joy for me (and not just of whales vs non-whales, of a lot of craft beer period).

I heard Kane Stouts are incredible, no?

A Night To End All Dawns is the one that gets hyped up the most, and is precisely the reason for my original post. It's good. It might be very good. It's not the best stout I've ever had by a long shot. And the rest? They're ok. But ANTEAD is the one that gave them that reputation and ANTEAD isn't going to change your world.

To Kane's credit, they did it as a lottery with no proxies. About as good as you can do given the circumstance, but take that same beer minus the hype and it's a totally fine stout. But take away the hype and the reputation of Kane having amazing stouts goes away with it too.

riotous

Banned
It started to. More to the story, but being friends with a couple of...I don't know what to call them, but you know the type-- on all the local FB groups, overly invested into the trading scene, etc etc killed the joy for me (and not just of whales vs non-whales, of a lot of craft beer period).

Ah well that sucks; I don't have any friends like that but meet people like it at bottle releases. I'm curious about the "scene" so always ask questions but outside of doing a local trade for a Midnight Still I haven't really involved myself. I've heard more than once "I'll probably look back on this time and question my priorities" and that sort o thing.

I guess I can see how the hype could make the whole thing sort of exhausting; I don't worry about it too much myself just feel annoyed briefly then move on if I miss a release or something.

Not quite the Zen Beerist distantmantra is but I don't need a Xanax if I miss a release either.

riotous

Banned
At Fremont? Think they will be there tomorrow? I got time to kill between games

Definitely worth a try; I stopped by at ~7:30 last night and they weren't really selling a lot of bottles as I think most people interested had already come by, you could see a floor covered in boxes full of bagged RN's in the back room.

riotous

Banned
TRIPLE POST

This RateBeer controversy is interesting : http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/06/dogfish-head-asks-to-be-removed-from.html

Came to light that Ab/InBev has owned a stake since sometime last year. WHOOPS

Completely useless site though; it seems like every beer is a 98 or 99 on their rating scale for some reason.

Also back to Rusty Nail; my buddy really wanted to try some so we swung by the brewery last night after dinner and they still had plenty of bottles; man it is REALLY good in bottle. I loved it on tap but it felt even thicker / richer in bottle for some reason. Coats your mouth and stains your glass.

Mitch

Banned
I need that stout in my life. I need more stouts in my life...

Got a 12 pack of Born Again Yesterday last Friday. It's gonna go quick.

TRIPLE POST

This RateBeer controversy is interesting : http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/06/dogfish-head-asks-to-be-removed-from.html

Came to light that Ab/InBev has owned a stake since sometime last year. WHOOPS

Completely useless site though; it seems like every beer is a 98 or 99 on their rating scale for some reason.

Also back to Rusty Nail; my buddy really wanted to try some so we swung by the brewery last night after dinner and they still had plenty of bottles; man it is REALLY good in bottle. I loved it on tap but it felt even thicker / richer in bottle for some reason. Coats your mouth and stains your glass.

RateBeer is actually wonderful for international beer and place reviews. It's the preferred site for people who don't live in North America for some reason.

Everything else about that site sucks and is horribly designed, though.

thabiz

When did untapped become a craft beer app, and not just a beer app? Lol. Of course InBev has an ongoing relationship with untapped.

GAF help. Since I was a kid I hated the smell and taste of beer. ( Mexican, I know)
I can handle shots and cocktails but beer...

Now don't get me wrong I've been drinking Modelos, angry orchard and Stella's which I can tolerate. But iPAs / dark beer is f'ing gross. Almost want to puke the moment I taste it.
Now my gf on the other hand loves to drink and can handle her beer like a real woman which makes me look like weaksauce. Although I did out drink her once. But the other night we went to a brewery she likes and I hated everything which resulted in her being drunk lol. Is this an aquired taste or am I SOL?
LAGUNITAS can die

Top Bottom