• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Chris R

Had a little road trip today up to Denali area. Allowed me to check in on the Denali Brewing Company... They have pretty good beer, better than Alaskan IMO but probably behind everything else from Alaska I've tasted. Until today that is... the stuff they had in the tap room is miles ahead of anything I've had from them in cans.

Had tasters of a terrific Coffee IPA and a decent sour, ended up with a half growler of a Belgian golden strong aged in Chardonnay barrels... It's delicious.

I didn't have a car when I visited Los Angeles last month, but just booked a trip to Seattle with my wife in August. Neither of us have been to the state, but a brewery trip one day could be fun. For me at least.
Suggestions?

riotous

Banned
All within a few minutes of each other; Ruebens and Stoup are a couple suburban blocks from each other, Fremont very close. HM and UF are very close and Cloudburst is a downtown few minutes from HM.

If you wanted to do them in 2 trips; do Ruebens/Stoup/Fremont then the other 3.

If you want tons of taps in one place look at the 2 Chucks locations, Teku Tavern and The Beer Junction. All have 40-50 taps.

Chris R

No mention of Optimism or Perihelion, both easily accessible on the light rail.

I had a blast with Perihelion since it has outside seats to burn my virgin skin.

While you're in BC make sure you visit Four Winds in Delta (South of Vancouver).

No mention of Optimism or Perihelion, both easily accessible on the light rail.

I had a blast with Perihelion since it has outside seats to burn my virgin skin.

Optimism is fine but not something I'd recommend to a visitor who wants an idea of our best breweries.

Perihelion's beer still sucks, sadly.

All the breweries I mentioned are downtown/North Seattle. Down in SoDo is Seapine which is well worth a visit.

I liked them :( But maybe the whole "sun shining, me enjoying them outside" makes me remember them more fondly than if I were to sit down and do a proper tasting.

There are so many really solid Seattle breweries that offer outside seating in the sun. Stoup, Seapine, Fremont, Reubens, Urban Family, etc.

Recent pickups:
IMG_7566.jpg

Chris R

There are so many really solid Seattle breweries that offer outside seating in the sun. Stoup, Seapine, Fremont, Reubens, Urban Family, etc.

None of those were steps from my Airbnb and the light rail to get to the Ms game tho.

Seapine I'll have to check out next time I'm down for a game though, decent little walk after a pregame

Friend loaded me up with a bunch of the Westbrook Key Lime Pie and I just loves it and hope it just becomes a normal shelf beer where I am as well. One of the perfect summer beers.

Chris R

Drinking a Lupulin Powder DIPA I picked up at Anchorage Brewing (in colab with Monkish Brewing from LA area apparently)

It's really juicy and smooth for it's supposed 8.5% really mellow hoppiness too.

First time I visited their tap room and new digs... I'll have to bike over since it's only like 4 miles from my place on trails. They didn't convince me to drop $100 on a festival ticket though.... but IDK, lots of cool breweries on this list it looks like

https://theculminationfestival.com/#brewers

Drinking a Lupulin Powder DIPA I picked up at Anchorage Brewing (in colab with Monkish Brewing from LA area apparently)

It's really juicy and smooth for it's supposed 8.5% really mellow hoppiness too.

First time I visited their tap room and new digs... I'll have to bike over since it's only like 4 miles from my place on trails. They didn't convince me to drop $100 on a festival ticket though.... but IDK, lots of cool breweries on this list it looks like

https://theculminationfestival.com/#brewers

There are always ridiculous leftovers around town following The Culmination Festival.

Finally tried Founder's Doom tonight. That was damn tasty and interesting. A nice bitter IPA, but definitely got the bourbon barrel flavor in the aftertaste. Might have to grab another bottle or so while it is still around here (singles only). I am curious how time will treat it since the ABV is rather high, thinking it will age decently.

So, will be in Seattle area on my birthday in August. Told my wife tonight that it would be fun to spend that day just going to breweries. Think that might have worked.
Now planning to spend my birthday in a state of perpetual inebriation.

So, will be in Seattle area on my birthday in August. Told my wife tonight that it would be fun to spend that day just going to breweries. Think that might have worked.
Now planning to spend my birthday in a state of perpetual inebriation.

I've already said it in the beer thread, buuuuuut:

Holy Mountain
Fremont
Cloudburst
Stoup
Reuben's
Urban Family
Seapine

And also go to Brouwers, Slowboat Tavern, Chucks and Beer Junction.

Jarnet87

J Wakefield did a big release this weekend, people started lining up before midnight I read lol, Madness. I think the most I ever waited for a beer release was an hour,

Mitch

Banned
I don't need beer that bad. Makes you wonder, are these people waiting that long to consume the beer, or sell it for exorbitant amounts on auction sites?

thabiz

J Wakefield did a big release this weekend, people started lining up before midnight I read lol, Madness. I think the most I ever waited for a beer release was an hour,

Lining up for more than an hour for a beer is fucking retarded. Most I've ever had to wait is 15 minutes, but I'm in Canada so we haven't hit close to the outright retardation that the states have when it comes to beer.

I'd never in my life wait an hour to buy a beer. Lol

I would bet on them selling it.

I've waited in line at Holy Mountain next to people who love to loudly declare "I hate sour beers!" when that's all they're releasing. Shitlord secondary people in full effect.

This one particular guy has been banned from de Grade for said behavior (acquiring tons and then razzling it off on the internet), and then employed mules and bragged to the owner of de Garde about it online. Those mules got caught the other weekend and are now banned as well.

riotous

Banned
I've waited 3+ hours; bring some camping chairs and sit with my wife and enjoy a coffee, mess around on my phone or Nintendo Switch, and shoot the shit with all the people getting wasted.

Some of the behavior is shitty but can't really do anything about it so I don't let it frustrate me. Kinda wish the breweries themselves would be more strict but a lot of the people working at them are laid back and non confrontational. Despite doing things like stamps or wrist bands you can tell that people "cheat" and get away with it. At Holy Mountain there's a family that shows up early in the AM and sticks chairs at the front of the line and some other crap to "save their spot" then they show up 15 minutes before the brewery is open and go right to the front of the line. LOL, just blatant assholeishness.

Tried a Bourbon Barrel Ale in a can and had to pour it out. Holy shit that was nasty. Was like sour and medicine-like. Never again. Which is a shame caused I liked the Stout.

I've waited 3+ hours; bring some camping chairs and sit with my wife and enjoy a coffee, mess around on my phone or Nintendo Switch, and shoot the shit with all the people getting wasted.

Some of the behavior is shitty but can't really do anything about it so I don't let it frustrate me. Kinda wish the breweries themselves would be more strict but a lot of the people working at them are laid back and non confrontational. Despite doing things like stamps or wrist bands you can tell that people "cheat" and get away with it. At Holy Mountain there's a family that shows up early in the AM and sticks chairs at the front of the line and some other crap to "save their spot" then they show up 15 minutes before the brewery is open and go right to the front of the line. LOL, just blatant assholeishness.

Holy Mountain doesn't believe in phantom chairs like the bullshit back east at Tired Hands. I'm surprised no one has rated them out.

HM also no longer allows people to drink alcohol in line. It's illegal and they could lose their liquor license, so I'm glad they wised up.

Bacon

Tried a Bourbon Barrel Ale in a can and had to pour it out. Holy shit that was nasty. Was like sour and medicine-like. Never again. Which is a shame caused I liked the Stout.

Yeah that is a supremely disappointing beer. I remember I also had high hopes for it when I bought it blind a year or two ago. Awful beer.

Mitch

Banned
Ohio finally getting Bourbon County. Sticking to my guns and will continue to boycott AB, though.

Although, I'm still supporting Lagunitas by buying Born Again and Waldo. So I feel pretty silly...

I found some 3-Way (it was undershipped to the Seattle market and sold out immediately) today at a BevMo south of Seattle. They had 18 4-packs left, so I bought two. One for me, and one for a friend. As I was checking out another guy came in and bought the other 16 4-packs.

This is why beer sucks.

Ron Mexico

I found some 3-Way today at a BevMo south of Seattle. They had 18 4-packs left, so I bought two. One for me, and one for a friend. As I was checking out another guy came in and bought the other 16 4-packs.

This is why beer sucks.

I don't think I could ever pull it off 100%, but I started to think about essentially giving up on anything packaged for retail (save for growlers) and sticking to just what I come across on tap.

Would make for an interesting experiment if nothing else.

Fort George's 3-Way is one of my favorite summer releases every year, it's a fun concept. It's always an IPA but the recipe and the two other breweries changes every year.

2013: Lompoc and Occidental
2014: Block 15 and Boneyard
2015: Georgetown and pFriem
2016: Barley Browns and Melvin
2017: Reubens and Great Notion

As you can expect, the fact that GN is involved and it's a hazy IPA has made people lose their minds and buy more than they can possibly drink on their own. 3-Way has never been this hard to find. There are kegs around town for $6-$7 a pint and that's awesome, but I also like being able to drink at home for roughly $3 a pint.

Ron Mexico

There are kegs around town for $6-$7 a pint and that's awesome, but I also like being able to drink at home for roughly $3 a pint.

So this is a good point and part of the reason why it would be damn hard to go full on restricting yourself to that $6-7 pint, but at the same time how much beer do I buy mostly because it's there? Especially in terms of bombers-- what if I splurge for something that would have been better as just a pint or even just a sample?

More thinking out loud and again I have no idea how realistic it could even be but it's an interesting thought.

I don't buy bombers of hoppy stuff much anymore unless it's the only way, like Modern Times' Accumulated Knowledge that they make exclusively for Trader Jones. I try to stick with 12-16 oz cans.

The majority of beers made here in WA and OR are still draft only, so I do good mix of drinking both packaged and draft.

Top Bottom