• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Chris R

Oh cool, first time I've seen Founders on shelves here in Alaska. Grabbed the Centennial IPA because I'm an IPA whore :(

Tasty, and not a cent more than most 6 packs (fuck you Sculpin Grapefruit)

Went to a tasting of 8 different Bruery Melanges last night. My dudes, I'm taking a beer break, because my tastebuds are still completely blown out.

Can't pass up Tilquin. This Little Fish is my favorite new beer of the year so far. The closest thing I've had to Russian River Supplication. Buying up what I can and letting them spend some time in the cellar. $17 for a 750mL is too good to pass up.

34846736943_e88e818067_z.jpg

Went to a tasting of 8 different Bruery Melanges last night. My dudes, I'm taking a beer break, because my tastebuds are still completely blown out.
The Spice did flow then?

As for me tonight, had Bearded Iris Scatterbrained early on, which was good. Their Homestyle IPA was better.
The had Prairie Paradise. That was damn good. The coconut was barely detectable, which pleased me. Very good balance and sweetness overall.

HiResDes

Can't pass up Tilquin. This Little Fish is my favorite new beer of the year so far. The closest thing I've had to Russian River Supplication. Buying up what I can and letting them spend some time in the cellar. $17 for a 750mL is too good to pass up.

34846736943_e88e818067_z.jpg
On it since that brewery before, loved the Madame whatever from Urban Family so thanks for recommending them as well.

My local got a limited suppply of Bell's Quinannan Falls dry-hopped lager. Really solid beer with a nice west coast IPA undertone.
Love this beer.

At the inlaws, Nebraska AF haha. This Daaaang! Is pretty damn good. Also have some White Elm saison that has an interesting tart note going on.

Breweries have been popping up here like nobody's business. I don't know how long most of them are going to last, but to steal a line from Giant Bomb, now is the best time to be into craft beer.

Had some Dragon's Milk S'mores tonight. Fuck, that is a lot of sugar. Oddly enough, the graham cracker flavor is what is strongest, followed by the marshmallow.
Yummy, but not something I would seek out again. Gonna have to be in the right mood to finish off the other bottles of this 4 pack. Drink it when I need a sugar bomb or a wake up call.

riotous

Banned
edit: lol, damn des. That is just excessive.

My average count of beers I cellar is somewhere between 2 and 4. Occasionally I'll buy 6 or so of a single beer but it's because it's one I love and plan to have twice a year for a few years, also ones that get crazy distribution like the Fremont winter BA's.

Had some Dragon's Milk S'mores tonight. Fuck, that is a lot of sugar. Oddly enough, the graham cracker flavor is what is strongest, followed by the marshmallow.
Yummy, but not something I would seek out again. Gonna have to be in the right mood to finish off the other bottles of this 4 pack. Drink it when I need a sugar bomb or a wake up call.

Sounds good to me; my favorite DM is the Triple Mash though.

Not sure if s'mores is getting distribution here though.

Sounds good to me; my favorite DM is the Triple Mash though.

Not sure if s'mores is getting distribution here though.
First beer my wife didn't hate trying. But she did say she'd enjoy like half a bottle then not want to touch it.
Hey, improvement over cringing at the taste of beer for her.

riotous

Banned
First beer my wife didn't hate trying. But she did say she'd enjoy like half a bottle then not want to touch it.
Hey, improvement over cringing at the taste of beer for her.

I'm a sucker for those crazy 17%+ beers. More like cocktails than beer. I have a few years of Black Tuesday I plan to drink on maybe my 40th birthday. That will be a day not to remember.

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/skJQdno.jpg[/img]

Sometimes I hate rich people, guy is trading this all for fresh hops too

Yep, happens every release. When I was out there back in November a guy had his wife bring their newborn baby along just so she could mule for him. Really want try try that DBDA too but don't see it happening. There was a bottle opened at the Woodburn release yesterday but it was kept in a small circle and then set down with the other bottles after it was empty just to show everyone else what they didn't get. Nice.

Regarding that S'mores Dragon's Milk, wasn't a fan. Straight up diabetes in a bottle.

HiResDes

Yep, happens every release. When I was out there back in November a guy had his wife bring their newborn baby along just so she could mule for him. Really want try try that DBDA too but don't see it happening. There was a bottle opened at the Woodburn release yesterday but it was kept in a small circle and then set down with the other bottles after it was empty just to show everyone else what they didn't get. Nice.

Regarding that S'mores Dragon's Milk, wasn't a fan. Straight up diabetes in a bottle.
Let me know how the Woodburn is, especially curious about the mint.

Let me know how the Woodburn is, especially curious about the mint.

They still had a lot left when I took off. Probably still some of each if you wanted to grab some. Didn't stay around for the mint on tap but the raspberry vanilla was solid. Coffee sounded good but that wasn't until 4.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Was in Chicago last week and got to try some good stuff. Off Color Brewing Apex Predator was my favorite. I already miss it.

Was in Chicago last week and got to try some good stuff. Off Color Brewing Apex Predator was my favorite. I already miss it.

Yup! Apex Predator is fantastic. I'm always thankful when I see a few bottles show up at my local. Great brewery, I just wish more of their beers got distribution here.

Picked up this year's Stone w00tstout. It was amazing, amazing their first year, but last year they changed the recipe and it was a miss. Hopefully this year it's back to form because they jacked up the price to $14.

riotous

Banned
Picked up this year's Stone w00tstout. It was amazing, amazing their first year, but last year they changed the recipe and it was a miss. Hopefully this year it's back to form because they jacked up the price to $14.

I dont think thats them jacking up the price, ive seen it for 9.99 and 10.99 here in Seattle.

But yeah its a return to form for sure, although last years did improve with a year of age on it.

Had a Nuttiest Professor from Avery the other night really fucking good. Reminds me of Bruery PB and Thursday but with a more prominent nut flavor.

I dont think thats them jacking up the price, ive seen it for 9.99 and 10.99 here in Seattle.

But yeah its a return to form for sure, although last years did improve with a year of age on it.

Had a Nuttiest Professor from Avery the other night really fucking good. Reminds me of Bruery PB and Thursday but with a more prominent nut flavor.

Seconding the recommendation of Wootstout getting better after a year. The 2015 recipe improved after time as well.

And just finishing my 2017 Wootstout. Damn good stuff. Such a nice balance. And only $9.50 here in KY. Usually we are on the pricier end.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Yeah, w00tstout is an order of magnitude better than KBS this year.

Is there a list of which craft breweries ABI now owns? Monopolizing hops is actively hurting indie brewers; I can't have my money going towards that.

So I had the w00tstout last night. Maybe I should've aged it a year as suggested. It wasn't bad, but it has a raisiny sweetness that reminded me of some barleywines I wasn't into. Just too cloying. I seem to remember the first year's batch being less sweet, with more of the roasted pecan flavor up front and a bit more carmelized sugar. More like a RIS with pecans and chocolate. Not sure why they keep messing with the recipe. :/

Is there a list of which craft breweries ABI now owns? Monopolizing hops is actively hurting indie brewers; I can't have my money going towards that.

ABI:
Goose Island (IL)
10 Barrel (OR)
Golden Road (CA)
Elysian (WA)
Wicked Weed (NC)
Blue Point (NY)
Four Peaks (AZ)
Breckenridge (CO)
Devil's Backbone (VA)
Karbach (TX)

They also own some proprietary hop farms in Idaho.

MillerCoors:
Saint Archer (CA)
Terrapin (GA)
Revolver (TX)
Hop Valley (OR)
Granville Island (British Columbia, Canada)

Jarnet87

Total Wine stores in Florida got in a big one time shipment of Modern Times last week. They got Lomaland (saison), Black House (stout), Blazing World (hoppy amber), Fruitland (gose), Oneida (pale) , Orderville (IPA) and Ice (Pilsner). Picked up 1 of everything except Lomaland and Ice. Only had the Fruitland so far but it was dam good so I went and grabbed a 4 pack.

Drank my bottle of Birthday Bomb and while good, for me it falls in with the other non BA variants of Bomb as not worth the extra few dollars.

riotous

Banned
I grabbed their Black House Nitro (w/ coconut) the other day and was sorely disappointed especially since their City of the Dead is so delicious.

Black House was like stale flat coffee water.

HiResDes

Total Wine stores in Florida got in a big one time shipment of Modern Times last week. They got Lomaland (saison), Black House (stout), Blazing World (hoppy amber), Fruitland (gose), Oneida (pale) , Orderville (IPA) and Ice (Pilsner). Picked up 1 of everything except Lomaland and Ice. Only had the Fruitland so far but it was dam good so I went and grabbed a 4 pack.

Drank my bottle of Birthday Bomb and while good, for me it falls in with the other non BA variants of Bomb as not worth the extra few dollars.
I usually find the coconut in beers to be too artificial tasting but I think Pirate Paradise is the best... Probably still not worth it though, but I'd pay extra to try the Vanilla Noir

So I had the w00tstout last night. Maybe I should've aged it a year as suggested. It wasn't bad, but it has a raisiny sweetness that reminded me of some barleywines I wasn't into. Just too cloying. I seem to remember the first year's batch being less sweet, with more of the roasted pecan flavor up front and a bit more carmelized sugar. More like a RIS with pecans and chocolate. Not sure why they keep messing with the recipe. :/

Also this spreadsheet which tracks sellouts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PVMuFsFoccOVnFAk_K619wAUruLLEe7kPqpd_sjoxuI/htmlview#gid=0

Grabbing a couple bottles of WootStout tomorrow. $10 around here so not too bad.

ABI:
Goose Island (IL)
10 Barrel (OR)
Golden Road (CA)

Thanks for the list. I actually forgot Golden Road had sold. A real shame since their beers became really good after they hired Drake's brewmaster. Both of the founders are nice people, and I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing considering the money involved, but that doesn't mean I want to continue to support them when they're part of a unethical corp like ABI.

I grabbed their Black House Nitro (w/ coconut) the other day and was sorely disappointed especially since their City of the Dead is so delicious.

Yeah, I tried the Black House Nitro too, wasn't a fan.

My favorite coconut beers:
- Maui Brewing's Coconut Porter, just delicious
- Barley Forge's Patsy rye coconut stout, more of a dry toasted coconut taste

Lotto

Their regular Black House is still pretty good imo. Nitro usually makes beer taste watery/flat. Need some of that good ol' CO2.

Interesting post from Avery Brewing regarding the distribution of hazy IPAs.

Simply restating what many brewers and home brewers already know; NEIPAs have garbage shelf life.

I've had a few hazy's that were 3-4 months old and still tasted great and some that were only a few weeks old that tasted not so great. Could be the overall flavor profile of the hops themselves. I'm no cicerone though and my taste buds are just strange. IPAs should be consumed fresh regardless of haziness anyways!

Also this spreadsheet which tracks sellouts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PVMuFsFoccOVnFAk_K619wAUruLLEe7kPqpd_sjoxuI/htmlview#gid=0

Grabbing a couple bottles of WootStout tomorrow. $10 around here so not too bad.

That list of sellouts is pretty resourceful. I was pretty okay with Ballast Point's buyout and I think I may have voiced that sentiment in this thread but these days I feel less okay with it. Seeing so many breweries being bought out just makes me sad, especially with how things are handled post-acquisition. Modern Times seems to have the right idea though: http://www.moderntimesbeer.com/blog/modern-times-now-employee-owned-company

Spuck-uk

Banned
We've had a few buyouts over in the UK as well, thankfully they're breweries that nobody really gave a shit about (Camden and the running joke that is London Fields).

Wicked Weed getting bought up sucks though, because they make amazing sours.

Mikkeller's Raspberry Blush Gose -- nice session beer at 4.5%, tart with a pleasant roundness to the mouthfeel, though a bit too berry for my taste.

Alpine's Truck Trail (pale ale) -- I think this is new, never had it before. I was really impressed, almost like a blueberry undertone going on, which sounds weird but is really refreshing. Wish I had grabbed more of them.

Top Bottom