• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Picked up some new beers today after getting dismissed from jury duty.
CBD8ICR.jpg

Picked up a couple things today:

* AleSmith -- Speedway Stout
* Mikkeller -- Spells (Imperial IPA)
* Modern Times -- Haunted Stars (Imperial Rye Porter)

Haunted Stars has to be one of the best beer names I've ever seen. I don't know if the beer can live up to the name, but eager to find out.

Holy Mountain has an Imperial IPA called Astral Projection, which is up there in terms of awesome beer names.

Yeah I think I've seen that one.

Opened the Haunted Stars. The shimmering stars of the rye do shine through the thick, malty evening. It's a decent porter, but it doesn't haunt me.

I believe Des mentioned be interested in the Unibroue 17. Just saw some 2014 bottles at a local shop. I'd imagine those are drinking well about now.

HiResDes

I believe Des mentioned be interested in the Unibroue 17. Just saw some 2014 bottles at a local shop. I'd imagine those are drinking well about now.

The usual place? Good looks! You here about the Listerman release? Wonder if they can pull off the east-coast haze gimmick well enough

The usual place? Good looks! You here about the Listerman release? Wonder if they can pull off the east-coast haze gimmick well enough

Country Fresh. I saw about the can releases. Not sure how those will turn out. Local hype will be crazy but it's Listermann so I'm tempering my expectations since they haven't made an IPA I've enjoyed yet.

Ron Mexico

I'm way late to the party but Lizard of Koz was surprisingly good. Had a Tart Cherry Wake 'N Bake after--just as surprising but surprisingly disappointing.

Are Hunahpu tickets normally available this long? First year I've been motivated enough to give going a try and was surprised to see them still up.

Xun

I wish I could drink beer right now, but since I have mono that's not looking likely for a while... 😟

riotous

Banned
I check reviews, don't really care about scores so much as things like drain pour reports or flavor profiles that don't really jive with what I like. A good chunk of the beers I buy don't have any scores though.

I check reviews, don't really care about scores so much as things like drain pour reports or flavor profiles that don't really jive with what I like. A good chunk of the beers I buy don't have any scores though.

That's why Untappd is helpful. Pictures and comments, and a lot of times someone has added the hopbill, maltbill, adjuncts, etc.

Come baaaaack to Untaaaaaapd.

HiResDes

Not gonna front like I don't read reviews and posts on untapped and beer advocate, but these days I rarely ever pop them up in a store I like to walk in with a pretty specific idea of what I want or at least what style im looking for

I don't care about public opinion as much as I'd like to know what's in the beer. A lot of times the label isn't helpful.

That is where I am. I will look at the general score sometimes. If the average is very, very low it must be for a reason. But mostly I just want to know what the hell is going on in the beer. A lot of 3 Floyds stuff doesn't tell you shit about the beer so you have to investigate.

HiResDes

I can't think of many beers that I liked much that were rated like under 70/100 or 3/5 on untapped. So I pretty much just avoid things in that range unless they're like exact style I'm in the mood for. I like to mosey into Cappys like yo do you have anything smoky, and they hook me up.

Untappd's aggregate scores are pretty meaningless. Pretty much everything on there is rated high.

And also most of the time (99.9%) I already know what I'm going to buy before I walk into the store.

riotous

Banned
I do end up looking at Untappd a lot, just haven't contributed in a while. It's the quickest to get reviews, but also a lot of times it's just people jumping to add a beer to their list and there's no real info there.

I do end up looking at Untappd a lot, just haven't contributed in a while. It's the quickest to get reviews, but also a lot of times it's just people jumping to add a beer to their list and there's no real info there.

I almost never add any info to my check ins. So I am part of the problem.

riotous

Banned
Hah; just the nature of the platform no really a problem ;) The fact the text entry is so limited (like Twitter) makes it hard to write much anyways. It would be useful if people used hash tags more often; could quickly find beers served locally with certain profiles but it's just not used as much.

thabiz

I guess I'm the outsider then. I could care less what's the untapped score. The style of beer. What the ingredients are. I just want to try new beers.

If it's an new sour. Bonus. If it's a Red ale. That's also cool. The only criteria I have when I buy beer is , have I had this before.

I like using Untappd for recs, but mostly because I have a pretty small list of people I follow. I can look really quick at what people I know are drinking, see their opinion and go from there. That way if the guy I know who's "not really into Belgian beers," gives a tripel 3/5, I can ignore it. I almost never look at the aggregate scores, since, as others have said, they are mostly useless.

Hit up Holy Mountain for their 2nd Anniversary party earlier today. Had some Coffee Vanilla Midnight Still (BA stout), Empirium (plum wild ale), Corpse Reviver (Meyer Lemon sour aged in second use bourbon barrels), Witchfinder (Brett saison), Fellowcraft (Brett Belgian pale) and Haxan (new Imperial Milk stout, super roasty). Plus they had sweet special anniversary glassware which I will be using the shit out of.

16003301_1583264785032041_4085919959189508931_n.jpg

ShinAmano

Hit up Holy Mountain for their 2nd Anniversary party earlier today. Had some Coffee Vanilla Midnight Still (BA stout), Empirium (plum wild ale), Corpse Reviver (Meyer Lemon sour aged in second use bourbon barrels), Witchfinder (Brett saison), Fellowcraft (Brett Belgian pale) and Haxan (new Imperial Milk stout, super roasty). Plus they had sweet special anniversary glassware which I will be using the shit out of.

16003301_1583264785032041_4085919959189508931_n.jpg
Not a glass guy but those are awesome. How are their stouts?

I used to go to beer bars all the time, so I'd pretty much know every weird SoCal beer that came out, but these days there's so many new breweries and more long-distance breweries getting distribution that I have to use beeradvocate often when I'm in a store. Also, I hate spending $8-12 on a bottle and being disappointed. If I spend that on a bottle of wine, it's probably still going to be drinkable at least, but a mediocre or just plain bad beer is hard to finish.

Lotto

I use untappd mostly to keep a track of my own tastes. Sometimes I'll have something again and look at my old score and wonder why I rated it as such. It's a fun little thing and sometimes a bit excessive but I enjoy it.

That glass is awesome btw distantmantra

Bacon

BcnpV8s.jpg

A good beer no doubt; the hype is downright confusing on this one though.

Yeah I got it last year for the first time and had trouble understanding all the fuss about it. It probably was first released when barrel aged stouts were less prevalent than they are today and the hype persisted through the years.

If we're talking overhyped ba stouts I'll still take bcbs over it every time though.

Top Bottom