• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

HiResDes

Was in the mood for something hoppy so I settled on some Nugget Nectar, it's probably about as overhyped as Hopslam but I still like it. Midwest malt profile is a nice change of pace

Was in the mood for something hoppy so I settled on some Nugget Nectar, it's probably about as overhyped as Hopslam but I still like it. Midwest malt profile is a nice change of pace

Had a couple Thursday night but wasn't feeling it. Grabbed some Racer 5 today (along w/ Brandy Barrel and Scotch Barrel Abyss) as it was nice to see Bear Republic back in OH. Drinking the Perrin No Rules now and that's sweet as hell.

Sorry about your 'Hawks mantra.

Had a couple Thursday night but wasn't feeling it. Grabbed some Racer 5 today (along w/ Brandy Barrel and Scotch Barrel Abyss) as it was nice to see Bear Republic back in OH. Drinking the Perrin No Rules now and that's sweet as hell.

No worries! We got beat. Can't win 'em all.

Damn you at your special Abyss releases! Counting myself lucky we got the rye whiskey release last year.

Damn you at your special Abyss releases! Counting myself lucky we got the rye whiskey release last year.

I'm sure these will hit KY. Found the Rye hanging out on the shelf in Lexington in May last year (Liquor Barn). Considering the $21 price tag these probably won't be flying off the shelf. Both sound really good so looking forward to trying them.

riotous

Banned
Last year they seemed to re-release the Abyss specials a few months later; all of a sudden everyone around Seattle had them in spring.

Digging this Lizard of Koz myself; when Des complained it was too sweet I knew I needed to try it lol.

I'm sure these will hit KY. Found the Rye hanging out on the shelf in Lexington in May last year (Liquor Barn). Considering the $21 price tag these probably won't be flying off the shelf. Both sound really good so looking forward to trying them.

The Rye version disappeared quickly around here in Bowling Green. Still haven't seen any new Abyss here this last month.

Last year they seemed to re-release the Abyss specials a few months later; all of a sudden everyone around Seattle had them in spring.

Digging this Lizard of Koz myself; when Des complained it was too sweet I knew I needed to try it lol.
Lizard of Koz was good. As much as i like blueberry, hoping it mellows with age. It needs to be more balanced.

The Rye version disappeared quickly around here in Bowling Green. Still haven't seen any new Abyss here this last month.

Lizard of Koz was good. As much as i like blueberry, hoping it mellows with age. It needs to be more balanced.

You got Hopslam before OH, guessing we got the Abyss variants before KY. Maybe.

Ron Mexico

Man Blue Moon desn't taste good. Tastes like a Bud Light. I love Beer but, I could barely finish that Blue Moon.

Blue Moon served an important role for me--made me realize there was more to beer than the Buds of he world. I don't care for it much now, but it did what it needed to.

HiResDes

The Paste blind tastings are always an interesting read and can usually find something new to check out:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/02/83-of-the-best-american-pale-ales-blind-tasted-and.html?a=1
Really surprised Mosaic Promise received such high praise, thought it was decent but lacking the body of what I want in a pale, absolutely love Peeper though and I also like Alpha King more than Zombie Dust but not as much as Gumbalhead though that's a different style obviously.

Nice to see Bone-a-fide win that blind. It's anabsolutely amazing beer. Bit of a shame that Paste shows it in a bomber since Boneyard doesn't can or bottle any of their beers and might confuse some people trying to get some.

I hate Alpha King. That beer is just too malty for its own good.

Mitch

Banned
How is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? I'm tempted to pick up a 6er. It's not super bitter is it?
Got me into pale ales and IPAs. Go for it!

A friend of mine got their Tropical Torpedo on Friday. Wasn't a super stellar beer, but definitely drinkable. Will probably drink a couple after I finish Did We Just Become Best Friends? from Hoof.

Edit: Drinking an Americano Stout from Stone instead. Solid coffee stout.

ACE 1991

Brewed my Citra IPA kit tonight! Planning on adding some grapefruit during secondary fermentation to try and make it similar to Sculpin's grapefruit IPA.

Got me into pale ales and IPAs. Go for it!

A friend of mine got their Tropical Torpedo on Friday. Wasn't a super stellar beer, but definitely drinkable. Will probably drink a couple after I finish Did We Just Become Best Friends? from Hoof.

Edit: Drinking an Americano Stout from Stone instead. Solid coffee stout.

Never got Americano down here last year. Hoping it shows up this year. It should since Xocoveza was readily available as compared to 2015 where only one place in town got a single case.

Never got Americano down here last year. Hoping it shows up this year. It should since Xocoveza was readily available as compared to 2015 where only one place in town got a single case.

Xocoveza is still readily available around here. Must have made a LOT more this time around. So many seasonals now it's tough to compete. Hypeslam and Nugget Nectar time with KBS around the corner. And Hop JuJu.

Xocoveza is still readily available around here. Must have made a LOT more this time around. So many seasonals now it's tough to compete. Hypeslam and Nugget Nectar time with KBS around the corner. And Hop JuJu.

Yup. Lots of Xocoveza around here still. I ain't complaining.

And have been enjoying Hypeslam a lot these last few days. I know I said I would be fine with one six pack, but it has been hitting the spot when cooking.

I am curious how insane KBS release will be around here, and if it will be as hilarious as last year with this one guy almost killing people as he sped from store to store and sweating from running around.
Or the group that had a trunk full of it from driving all around the state.
It is just insane.

tmac456

Nice to see Bone-a-fide win that blind. It's anabsolutely amazing beer. Bit of a shame that Paste shows it in a bomber since Boneyard doesn't can or bottle any of their beers and might confuse some people trying to get some.

I hate Alpha King. That beer is just too malty for its own good.

To each their own. I love Alpha King. I like the original AK recipe more though

Lotto

The Paste blind tastings are always an interesting read and can usually find something new to check out:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/02/83-of-the-best-american-pale-ales-blind-tasted-and.html?a=1

Never let Mosiac Promise sit/warm. It smells like rancid armpits, absolutely vile. It's very good cold though, always wary of letting mosaic hopped beers sit for too long after that experience. Glad to see Grunion score so well though, still my favorite beer from Ballast Point.

Mitch

Banned
Once KBS is out, I think I'll settle with a single 4-pack. I'll mainly drink it on draft during the release events.

HiResDes

My absolute favorite pales have been from outside the US, really love Omnipollo offerings and Bellwoods Jutsu is bomb to me.

codhand

They are on tap all over the NW pretty much constantly.

it's not a bad list because i cant go to the store and buy it, it's a bad list because it was one draft beer versus 85 bottles... they even had the balls to put a picture of a fake bottle next to it lol

it's not a bad list because i cant go to the store and buy it, it's a bad list because it was one draft beer versus 85 bottles... they even had the balls to put a picture of a fake bottle next to it lol

Boneyard might have made that bottle for them. Going through the full list I'm sure it wasn't the only draft only beer.

codhand

Boneyard might have made that bottle for them. Going through the full list I'm sure it wasn't the only draft only beer.

going through it again and not being pithy, but the boneyard is the only draft exclusive beer on that list.

youre saying another beer mightve been a draft sample, despite having an actual retail bottle for the other 50,

which would mean they got a draft pour and went out and found the corresponding bottle, whereas again, boneyard as you mentioned is draft only.

80—50 i cant say now that i look, some of those i never heard of, but the top 50 can all be purchased in a store

going through it again and not being pithy, but the boneyard is the only draft exclusive beer on that list.

youre saying another beer mightve been a draft sample, despite having an actual retail bottle for the other 50,

which would mean they got a draft pour and went out and found the corresponding bottle, whereas again, boneyard as you mentioned is draft only.

80—50 i cant say now that i look, some of those i never heard of, but the top 50 can all be purchased in a store

Boneyard does crowlers at the brewery, maybe that's what they sent? Or maybe they filled a 22, made a sticker based on their taphandle/shirt design and stuck it on the bottle? I don't know, you seem bothered by this more than I do.

I'm not trying to defend Paste or Boneyard. The only reason I mentioned it was so people didn't go looking for a bomber of Boneafide in a store when it doesn't exist.

codhand

I guess the taste can be quite different between draft and bottle, is that what is bothering you?

yes, also it's highly likely it was fresher as it didnt go thru a distribution channel, (hell some they say they got off the shelf. in georgia) the bootleg boneyard bottle just makes it hilarious

riotous

Banned
yes, also it's highly likely it was fresher as it didnt go thru a distribution channel, (hell some they say they got off the shelf. in georgia) the bootleg boneyard bottle just makes it hilarious

They may not have known; they likely took beer advocate lists and e-mailed a bunch of breweries. They mention in the comments that some breweries "Wouldn't send them beers."

A lot of those probably are really fresh bottles if the brewery was contacted to get them.

Should mention it in a comment on the site, maybe they'll add the fact it's not actually sold in bottles to the review.

The Maui Pueo Pale listed at the top of the article is also draft only. Maui probably sent them a crowler. It should be mentioned in the article but at the same time it shouldn't discredit the beer.

For most of these Paste double blinds, they solicit breweries and those breweries send them stuff for competition. I've got a friend in Bend, OR who runs "Best of Craft Beer Awards" every year and they do the same thing.

codhand

The Maui Pueo Pale listed at the top of the article is also draft only. Maui probably sent them a crowler. It should be mentioned in the article but at the same time it shouldn't discredit the beer.

the maui didnt make the rankings, also it was shipped on draft... from maui

yes, mentioning that the winner is a draft only beer, seems like the obvious thing to do

the maui didnt make the rankings, also it was shipped on draft... from maui

But it was submitted, alls I'm sayin'. Maui does crowlers at the brewery, I can't imagine they'd ship a keg to Paste when a couple crowlers would be much easier.

yes, mentioning that the winner is a draft only beer, seems like the obvious thing to do

Yep. Really surprised they didn't.

Man, I read through the comments. Stephen Body (aka. The Pour Fool) is getting all salty in there. That guy is an absolute asshole in real life.

edit: Should be noted that their top IPA of 2016, Prison City Pub's Mass Riot IPA is also a draft only beer sent via crowler.

Lots more draft only/crowlers/custom brewery bottles in the IPA list, too.

Pallet Jack
RPM
Juice Jr.
Space Wrangler
Hop A Wheelie
Juicy Bits
General Braddocks
Mass Riot

Top Bottom