• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

I might just stop in to get a glass, kinda want one even if the beer is shit lol
nEr4Dm1.jpg

Let me know if you try it. Looks like the reviews are hitting and low 4s is more like a 3.5 given the homer aspect of who's reviewing it.

Let go of your OCD and just start.

Honestly, Untappd is the only game I have on my phone. Cause that's what it is.

You hit the nail on the head, but since it is actual OCD and not just something I claim it's not that easy. :c

KBS is a good beer. It's not something that will blow your mind but it's worth a try.

IMG_4875.jpg

My parents (who are super into beer) are down in Portland for the weekend celebrating my mom's 60th birthday. They already grabbed me this and are gonna snag me some Fantasia at Upright later on.

I'll grab you a four pack to try, no strings breh, you want junkie or regular?

It's gone. Just checked the GCCBS FB page and it was the usual local shit-show release. Only 96 cases total and the first 96 in line cleaned it out. The usual comments from those who got none and weren't too pleased and the whalez-bro "you should've got here earlier" "fuck you, got mine" crowd. Epitomizes why I can't bother going to any of these releases given how they tend to turn out. Might still be on tap if you go.

edit: Apparently they allowed allotments ahead of time based on a FB "event" and determined the limit because they "only" had 50 people attending. The brewer is a member of that FB group and knows how these people are...

When they allow allotments ahead of time and you don't show up but they allow your wife to get one and your's as well:
31633652333_1fa50b775b.jpg

And they wonder why people might not be happy. Some places will never get it.

One four pack per person should be the rule for that kind of shit.

You would think but then those who got it would be pissed that they didn't get as much and can't rub it in to those who didn't get any. They really believe that since they make the effort to be early in line they deserve the most. It's really childish on that FB group. I'm not kidding that this is how they think and act. It really is an embarrassment to the craft scene. So hard to bite my tongue but it's not worth getting involved with them.

HiResDes

It's gone. Just checked the GCCBS FB page and it was the usual local shit-show release. Only 96 cases total and the first 96 in line cleaned it out. The usual comments from those who got none and weren't too pleased and the whalez-bro "you should've got here earlier" "fuck you, got mine" crowd. Epitomizes why I can't bother going to any of these releases given how they tend to turn out. Might still be on tap if you go.

edit: Apparently they allowed allotments ahead of time based on a FB "event" and determined the limit because they "only" had 50 people attending. The brewer is a member of that FB group and knows how these people are...

When they allow allotments ahead of time and you don't show up but they allow your wife to get one and your's as well:
31633652333_1fa50b775b.jpg

And they wonder why people might not be happy. Some places will never get it.
I saw this too late and ended up getting there around 230. It's pretty dead when I walk in but I spot a pair of four packs but I notice a note pinned on them that says like For John. Finally a random guy notices how lost I look as there's no other sign that there was even a release, but the guy tells me the same story, beers were gone in under 90 minutes and they let a few people buy cases of the junkie as well.

Lotto

I can barely finish my Modern Times 2x 4-packs before the next release comes out, yeesh. Started just getting a single 4-pack. Curious to see if and when this trend will start slowing down, I can't afford nor can I drink all these beers fast enough!

Also, I'm brewing today. A bit bad timing since it's about to rain but it's a 2.5gal batch, shouldn't take long.. Mashing right now.

For example:
32324857241_ebd7d0fa36_z.jpg

"one of the largest and most hyped releases in Cincinnati" is just too much. What a joke. Trying to make himself feel better about his haul.

Ysv7sbU.gif

There are things that I am sad that I missed getting in town, but nothing is worth lining up for hours ahead of time. It is just alcohol. There is enough great stuff around. Would have been better if there were a post about the person that camped willing to sell the stuff at a mark up to the person that didn't line up early.

On a different note, I was happy to see London Balling show up here in town again. Just sad that the shops this year were paying attention and broke up the 4 packs and selling them at regular price of $9 a can instead of $9 for a 4 pack like last year. Oh, how I stocked up last year when they fucked up.

15803653_386787228331204_1585373923325771776_n.jpg

Had this tonight (Stone Enjoy By 2.14.2017; not my picture). Overall, good, but nothing terribly memorable. The chocolate is extremely subdued and the coffee is utterly non-existent; you get more tangerine than either of those flavors. It's a little disjointed, with the floral hoppiness one expects from a Stone IPA with pronounced tangerine peel that fades into a barely-perceptible lingering chocolate sweetness that doesn't inherently mesh with the initial floral notes. Still manages to be tasty, but with the sheer volume of IPAs on the market, it's not one I'd seek out.

15803653_386787228331204_1585373923325771776_n.jpg

Had this tonight (Stone Enjoy By 2.14.2017; not my picture). Overall, good, but nothing terribly memorable. The chocolate is extremely subdued and the coffee is utterly non-existent; you get more tangerine than either of those flavors. It's a little disjointed, with the floral hoppiness one expects from a Stone IPA with pronounced tangerine peel that fades into a barely-perceptible lingering chocolate sweetness that doesn't inherently mesh with the initial floral notes. Still manages to be tasty, but with the sheer volume of IPAs on the market, it's not one I'd seek out.
Interesting. I surprisingly liked the Mocha IPA, but sounds like this is like a poorer version of that. Much like their anniversary black IPA was a poor version of Sublimely Self Righteous.

Oops.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. announced a recall Sunday of certain 12-ounce bottles of its pale ales, IPA’s and other beers after detecting a packaging flaw that could cause a piece of glass to break off into the bottle.

The affected beer has a package date that falls between Dec. 5, 2016, and Jan. 13, 2017 and a brewery code of “M’’ - which stands of Mills River - printed directly on bottles and the packaging of cardboard cases.

Aside from its Pale Ale, the Sierra Nevada recall includes 12-ounce bottles of its Beer Camp Golden IPA, Sidecar Orange Pale Ale, Torpedo Extra IPA, Tropical Torpedo, Nooner, Hop Hunter and Otra Vez.

There was another brewery that recently had a similar recall concerning glass shards in the bottle. Can't remember who it was at the moment, though.

riotous

Banned
Just tell hipsters the blood in your mouth brings out the fruity notes and they'll line up for hours to buy it.

@distantmantra: HM definitely seems like hype central in Seattle for younger people. It's great beer but it's also interesting the crowd is quite different from other places in Seattle; people cheered loudly when Phosphene was tapped.

I forgot to add to untapped I also had Haxana which was delicious, maybe I'll add that today.

@distantmantra: HM definitely seems like hype central in Seattle for younger people. It's great beer but it's also interesting the crowd is quite different from other places in Seattle; people cheered loudly when Phosphene was tapped.

Definitely the most hyped place, but it's also my favorite brewery due to all their mixed fermentation saisons and low ABV hoppy beers. I'll be there tomorrow for a couple beers if you want to stop by and say hi.

riotous

Banned
Definitely the most hyped place, but it's also my favorite brewery due to all their mixed fermentation saisons and low ABV hoppy beers. I'll be there tomorrow for a couple beers if you want to stop by and say hi.

Yeah I really enjoyed the 3 beers we had; I'd had a couple of their beers in the past but nothing quite like what I had Saturday. Loved how subtle the sour was, and the milk stout (Haxan) was just perfect for the style.

And yeah maybe I'll stop by after work, I'll watch for you posting to Untappd.

Yeah I really enjoyed the 3 beers we had; I'd had a couple of their beers in the past but nothing quite like what I had Saturday. Loved how subtle the sour was, and the milk stout (Haxan) was just perfect for the style.

And yeah maybe I'll stop by after work, I'll watch for you posting to Untappd.

I'll probably be there around 3pm for a little bit.

Opened the Mikkeller Spells DIPA last night. Compared to many west-coast DIPAs I've had, this one was much less piney, had many more floral and fruity notes. Not too astringent, went down easy.

Having a Founders Frootwood right now. Far, far too sweet. It is like drinking a cherry soda or close to it. I am fearful of the stomach ache that might come from this.

Putzweg

Why is clear beer seen as such a great thing? Painful seeing how Treehouse and Hoofhearted have to almost excuse themselves in interviews and podcasts for making hazy beer. Heck, the most plain and boring ass beer in the world is clear. And i dont get the west coast hate for hazy east coast ipas. They are da best.

riotous

Banned
Why is clear beer seen as such a great thing? Painful seeing how Treehouse and Hoofhearted have to almost excuse themselves in interviews and podcasts for making hazy beer. Heck, the most plain and boring ass beer in the world is clear. And i dont get the west coast hate for hazy east coast ipas. They are da best.

There's hate for hazy IPAs on the West Coast? I see plenty around Seattle.

There's lots of hazy juice on the West Coast. Just yesterday I had Pure Guava by Great Notion, Pineapple Coconut Double Crush by Reubens Brews and a couple test batches of this year's 3-Way by Fort George. With that said, whats exactly wrong with clear beer? Do you have a problem with bitterness?

Really. I'm curious. If you're gonna talk shit I'd like to hear your reasons.

Mitch

Banned
I really dig the hazy beer craze. They're typically at the top of my list.

Clear beers are still great. I always have a local pale or IPA in the fridge. Would never give those up for hazy.

Picked up a few beers today. Really enjoying stouts at the moment.

Big Bad Baptist
Son of A Baptist
Even More Jesus

Drinking the Big Bad right now and my word, this is pure sex.

HiResDes

I think there's more of a craze toward the hazy trend nowadays where it almost seems like hype is generated based on how opaque something is rather than taste. If you look at any big beer trade the stuff that's really sought after is mostly of the hazy variety, people trading things for untested releases based upon them looking like a Treehouse clone before anyone even knows whether they taste like one.

Big Bad Baptist is probably my favorite readily available coffee Stout at the moment I think I like it even more than Breakfast Stout and Sunday Morning. If Sunday Morning was a bit thicker that'd win out for sure.

Mitch

Banned
I think there's more of a craze toward the hazy trend nowadays where it almost seems like hype is generated based on how opaque something is rather than taste. If you look at any big beer trade the stuff that's really sought after is mostly of the hazy variety, people trading things for untested releases based upon them looking like a Treehouse clone before anyone even knows whether they taste like one.

Big Bad Baptist is probably my favorite readily available coffee Stout at the moment I think I like it even more than Breakfast Stout and Sunday Morning. If Sunday Morning was a bit thicker that'd win out for sure.
Haven't had Sunday Morning yet. Looking forward to it.

The shop I went to had so much Sunday Mole left over. May go back and pick some up.

HiResDes

Haven't had Sunday Morning yet. Looking forward to it.

The shop I went to had so much Sunday Mole left over. May go back and pick some up.
I didn't fuck with the Mole at all, doesn't hold a candle to Xocoveza, Bomb, Oro Negro, or even Baptista imo

Picked up a few beers today. Really enjoying stouts at the moment.

Big Bad Baptist
Son of A Baptist
Even More Jesus

Drinking the Big Bad right now and my word, this is pure sex.

I like that Evil Twin has started distributing in cans. We have cans of Even More Jesus and Imperial Biscotti Break for under $4 a pint around us; a 22 ounce bottle of the same goes for over $10. For a pure price/quality ratio, it's hard to beat Even More Jesus at that price.

Mitch

Banned
I didn't fuck with the Mole at all, doesn't hold a candle to Xocoveza, Bomb, Oro Negro, or even Baptista imo
My man. Xoco and Oro were phenomenal. The same shop had a ton of each. Still love Mole tho.

I like that Evil Twin has started distributing in cans. We have cans of Even More Jesus and Imperial Biscotti Break for under $4 a pint around us; a 22 ounce bottle of the same goes for over $10. For a pure price/quality ratio, it's hard to beat Even More Jesus at that price.
Yep. Got a single for a few bucks. Can't wait to drink it.

Love that 4 packs of Jesus are $15 here.

riotous

Banned
Had the Scotch Barrel Abyss today.

I mean; it's good.. but charging $27 for a bottle.. absolutely ridiculous. It's mild all around both in base beer flavor and added whiskey.

The $13 Fort George Matryoshka I had last night puts it to shame.

Had the Scotch Barrel Abyss today.

I mean; it's good.. but charging $27 for a bottle.. absolutely ridiculous. It's mild all around both in base beer flavor and added whiskey.

The $13 Fort George Matryoshka I had last night puts it to shame.

Scotch barrel? Damn, that didn't come here. Sounds good.
The brandy one was good, but not $23 a bottle good. I thought the base Abyss was better. The rye whiskey one from last year was better.

True, but with the cans (especially the tall pint and a half ones) you've got to be prepared to drink the whole thing. With a bottle at least you can cork it.

How is that Biscotti Break btw? Really sweet?

HiResDes

I'm always prepared to drink the whole thing though, like I've never been halfway through Even More Jesus and thought yo I'm gonna save this for later

Top Bottom