• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders Won't Endorse Clinton Until He Measures Her Comittment Against Wall St

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is all accrding to keikaku. Now he can say she IS committed to fighting against Wall Street. Now he can look like he is dropping out only because she is willing to continue on with part of his message. This will possibly bring some supporters of Bernie over as partially overshadow some of her dealings with Wall St. in the past.

He's for a point. A lot of democrats are sick of the same old bullshit, if he can someone how force her to stop being a suit for the establishment then all the better.

jblank83

I'm not seeing the problem with pushing progressive ideas.

I was told Hillary had basically already won the presidency as far back as a year ago, so who cares if he endorses now or later.

How the fuck did this thread become about Orlando?

The world is still turning, folks. Did Hillary suspend her campaign today so she could focus on that? Not from what I've heard.

And then of course you've got Trump making an ass of himself - what else is new?

HillGAF is insane sometimes.

Nah, it's just that people don't understand political theatre. Bernie knows how important this election is as does Clinton. Showing enough people care about income inequality, controlling tuition, and health care is all he ever needed to do. It gives him some leverage in endorsement talks.

Sure, if he were an establishment candidate. But he's not. He's a very non traditional candidate, and the type that could be interpreted (even if it's not correct) to prefer choosing his principles over what's best. After all, many of his supporters act similarly. It could be political theater, true. But this is also the man who said this so it isn't exactly past someone to interpret it as an all in or nothing statement.

The link to the full interview that Stump linked provides a far more nuanced picture of his motivations.

Bernie got 46% of the pledged delegates and so it is entirely within his right to represent his voters properly by discussing his policies with Ms Clinton, this in order to try and move the Democratic Platform towards the ideas he campaigned on. He doesn't blindly owe the Democratic Party his support, nor the support of his voters and so I can't possibly see how this is not the rational thing to do.

All Bernie is doing, which is what he's been doing since the beginning, is run a campaign based on ideas and try to bring as many people as he can into the Democratic Party, along with those ideas. Obama says his presence in the primary was a good thing, and so does Elisabeth Warren, so why are people losing their minds in this thread?

Some of the vitriol and hatred in this thread is just shameful and undemocratic. If anyone used that kind of language or rhetoric against Ms Clinton you all know what would happen. I hope we can all be respectful of each others beliefs and political views without outright trying to chase people with different views off the boards, or hurling curse words at a candidate you don't like.

Maztorre

Also, let's be honest. We're talking about a candidate that blamed the south for being uneducated and lacking in internet for his loss there. It's not exactly wrong or out of character for anyone to interpret his words here as a literal purity test or come as bitter.

This is some pathetic spin. If you're a minority in the south you are more likely to be poor due to the disenfranchisement of minorities, especially in southern states. If you are poor you are less likely to

a) afford higher-level education, meaning you will less frequently be exposed to alternative political messages such as those espoused by Sanders

b) have internet access, a medium that gives alternative political views (like the Sanders campaign) a platform that isn't dominated by traditional media outlets

So of course it makes sense that if you are living in the south, a large amount of the population is going to be generally unaware of Sanders but vastly more aware of someone like Clinton, who is practically a brand name that has been a fixture in American politics for decades, especially among people who are only exposed to politics via traditional outlets like TV and radio. "Low information voters" is a fact of life in poor states, but the attempt to make the acknowledgment of these voters some kind of smear against Sanders is ironic, coming from a camp that positions itself as "realists" as opposed to Sanders' idealism.

This bullshit of demonising literally every action taken by Sanders (and the responses in kind from the hardline Sanders camp) is far more divisive to the Democratic party than Sanders conceding with 5 months to go instead of 6.

Dude could have waited till tmrw at least to bring this up. You have to put aside those political arms for at least a day to focus on a national tragedy. Timing is pretty important here as a potential president - like, imagine if Obama tried to focus on TPP defense instead of the shooting today?

This is some pathetic spin. If you're a minority in the south you are more likely to be poor due to the disenfranchisement of minorities, especially in southern states. If you are poor you are less likely to

a) afford higher-level education, meaning you will less frequently be exposed to alternative political messages such as those espoused by Sanders

b) have internet access, a medium that gives alternative political views (like the Sanders campaign) a platform that isn't dominated by traditional media outlets

So of course it makes sense that if you are living in the south, a large amount of the population is going to be generally unaware of Sanders but vastly more aware of someone like Clinton, who is practically a brand name that has been a fixture in American politics for decades, especially among people who are only exposed to politics via traditional outlets like TV and radio. "Low information voters" is a fact of life in poor states, but the attempt to make the acknowledgment of these voters some kind of smear against Sanders is ironic, coming from a camp that positions itself as "realists" as opposed to Sanders' idealism.

This bullshit of demonising literally every action taken by Sanders (and the responses in kind from the hardline Sanders camp) is far more divisive to the Democratic party than Sanders conceding with 5 months to go instead of 6.

Lol

Fucking laugh riot over here. I don't know about other races but most black people are middle class in America. Labeling all black people as poor is a part of the reason he did so poorly with that demographic. I for one was offended and appalled that I was labeled a low information voter despite voting for him.

Your post is grade A brogressive bullshit and you should read the Bernie politico race article if you haven't already. If you have, read it again.

Bernie and his aids suggesting that "the south doesn't matter" and other BS is not "pathetic spin."

ExVicis

Dude could have waited till tmrw at least to bring this up. You have to put aside those political arms for at least a day to focus on a national tragedy. Timing is pretty important here as a potential president - like, imagine if Obama tried to focus on TPP defense instead of the shooting today?
If Obama was asked on a national talk show to talk about something else, he very well would. Sanders is doing the same.

Bernie Sanders said:
"I look forward to sitting down with Secretary Clinton and see what kind of platform she is going to support and how aggressive she is going to be," he said on CBS' Face the Nation. ''Dependent on how Secretary Clinton comes down on many of these major issues will determine how closely we can work with her."
I don't see a single thing wrong with this statement.

Randam

My problem isn't even the timing.

I understand it's an interview. My issue is his answer. He won't endorse Hillary, and will potentially risk some of his supporters going to Trump because...Wall St? We have all of this at stake and he wants her to pass his purity test?

For real?
you really think people will vote the most "wall Street" guy there is, because he doesn't support hillary?

People can think and decide on their own.

He was asked a question on a tv news programme. What do you expect the man to do, scrap the whole interview?

Edit: Fucking hell, judging by the comments no one actually read the OP. Dear god HillaryGAF is quick to attack this man.

Seriously. Don't get me wrong, Sanders has made a lot of mistakes and flubs the past few months but some of the comments in this thread are silly as fuck. Some of you would equate him being asked a question to him standing outside the Orlando club and spouting anti-Hillary rhetoric while people are grieving all around.

Bernie is the worst thing about America right now.

What a dumb post. Particularly today. Read Stumpokapows post on the previous page before you come in here to shitpost.

He has a right and obligation to push the democratic party in the right direction. All these passive-aggressive chinese whispers about him dividing the party. Madness. He answered a direct question, he didn't use todays event to make it about himself or his cause. He just responded to a reporters question.

UFO

Banned
Bernie is the worst thing about America right now.

MtZ9N.gif

edit: still true even if akira28 was being sarcastic.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Dear Mr Sanders, take a good look at your wife and her commitment against fraud - or lack thereof. Then think about how you would feel if she became the first lady and stop this charade.

Who the fuck cares about Bernard Sanders support at this point?

Half the people 'supporting' him wont show up to the polls in November. His ass can fade away

Haha, sure, ignore 46% of the Dem. primary voters, that will surely help you beat Trump in the General Election!

Balphon

Whoa, what the hell is this about?

I'd imagine the Burlington College nonsense.

As for the statement, it's unfortunately timed and seems to reinforce Sanders's image as a single-issue candidate. Still, gotta give him the benefit of the doubt and can't really blame him for wanting to push that issue as much as he can.

akira28

I mean the way some other posters are responding, couldn't really detect the sarcasm in your post. Some of these responses and beliefs are honestly ridiculous.

I don't usually read through entire threads before posting. I wasn't even planning on posting. But as soon as I saw Korey invoke Sanders' gun control record in the context of the Orlando shooting I could no longer resist.

Xe4

Banned
As others have said he's gonna endorse her by the end of the week. He'll meet with Clinton on Tuesday, say he's made her make concessions, and then drop out and endorse her. If he doesn't though, I'll be pretty disappointed. He has the perfect opportunity this week.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
"You can vote for Hillary now that we set her straight" would probably convince a lot more Bernie or Busters than going straight to saying she's not so bad.

Cyan

Banned
This thread started with a bad title and premise and, despite stump's efforts to the contrary, has mostly been people shouting at each other over absolutely nothing. He'll end his campaign and endorse within the week, please chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom