• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Maher Calls His Use of The N-Word a 'Comedian's Mistake'

Can his smug face even be allowed to repent?
67255_5_.jpg

the smuggest of fucks.

sorry Frankie, but this guy is definitely too smug to give a fuck.

L Thammy

Maher isn't the type to clam up about something. If they ask him about it, he's going to give them some kind of answer.

Reading the interview, he's still very apologetic and owns it. His answer in context ,calling it a "comedian's mistake", isn't bad like how it reads in a headline.

You interpreted that much differently than I did.

Bill Maher said:
No. I think most people understood that it was a comedian’s mistake, not a racist mistake.

This is the part where he’s saying why he doesn’t think his career was ruined by this incident, which was what he was asked about. 16 words. He follow it with:

Bill Maher said:
Listen, I hope we had a teachable moment about race: trying to make something good from something bad. But maybe also about how to handle something like this: apologize sincerely if you’re wrong — and I was — and own it.

This is the part where he apologized. 39 words. He followed this with:

Bill Maher said:
But we don’t have to grovel, and we don’t have to admit things that aren’t true. When Ice Cube said something about my telling black jokes, I wasn’t going to be: “Oh, well, I made one mistake; I might as well admit mistakes I haven’t made.” I’ve never made black jokes. I’ve made jokes about racists. But my fan base knows that, so it never went anywhere.

This is the part where he claims that he was falsely accused of something and isn’t going to apologize for it. 67 words. Note that he wasn’t asked about Ice Cube, either. Why did he speak so much longer on this point than the previous one?

Top Bottom