• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar halts performance after white fan he invited on stage says N-word

Mohonky

This thread shows just how much white people actually "want" to use the "N" word in their daily lives publically.

I might as well voice my unpopular opinion.

Firstly though, in response to the quote, what makes you think white people are so desperate to use the word? I see someone post that every time this comes up. I'd like to ask; why are black people so desperate to use a word that was so demeaning to them? I'm going to take a stab at this and say because they see it as a means of empowerment, taking ownership of something that was so hurtful and changing its context. If that is the case then of course context matters, but then you're argument that anyone other than someone who is black is assumed to only ever use it in the context of some derogatory statement.

I live in Australia, I'm white and I never use the word. My friends never use the word. I have absolutely no desire to use the word. When I see or hear someone say 'oh you're just upset because you want to use the word' my eyes just about roll into the back of my head, yeop, that's the problem, all these white people, they're just busting at the seams to say it, it consumes our thoughts constantly, it's like a little fetish white people have.

The reality is the only people who are busting to say it are in fact, saying it anyway, and they are doing it and making sure you hear that really nice hard pronunciation with the 'ER'; and they would be people who do look down upon blacks and they don't give a flying fuck whether you want or even let them use the word because the angrier you get at them, the more they're enjoying it.

It's the hypocrisy of the use of the word that gets me. It's linguistic apartheid. We're going to segregate slang and contextualise the use of words by skin colour? Seriously? "I want equality, we're all people and we should have equal rights and privileges to jobs, education, intellectual pursuits, ideas, lifestyles etc ......except when I tell you my culture has ownership of this word.....and this hair style....and this style of music.....and this way of dressing.....we own that and we don't want you or anyone doing it because that's our shit" Every time this word comes up, every time some one who isn't black has dreadlocks, every time an artist who isn't black makes hip hop music. I can't for the life of me wrap my head around it. You can't with a straight face say all people should have access to all things and then start setting up barriers that differentiate what a person can or cannot do based on skin colour. We had that, and we're trying to get as far away from it as possible.

Even then, the sheer stupidity of trying to explain any justification for this segregation of words and ideas based on skin colour, where do you stop? Even here in Australia I can't not get bombarded with the word; from artists on the radio, to comedy, movies and tv shows to seeing it used on forums by users. Then people wonder why others are using it even in the same context of the original author and then getting slammed for it? You mean someone strung a sentence together and used the word 5 times in that sentence alone and then someone else somehow got the impression that repeating what they said or using it in a similar context was ok? What about people writing scripts for movies, tv shows or even ghost writers, do they sensor themselves to? I would have loved trying to see people book tickets to the '____ In Paris" concert over the phone.

I mean its dead fucking easy to avoid any confusion really, it's ALWAYS offensive, or it's fine in CONTEXT. It can't be both depending on skin colour, because if it was, you'd be a hypocrite or you're fine with some levels of segregation (and that would be one interesting slippery slope if white people started at it, again.....)

Last edited:

manfestival

Yes it does. Many white people are talking as if they want to equally be able to say the word or make all black people stop using the word.
I did want to ask. I am Puerto Rican and I hear a ton of my fellow Puerto Ricans throwing the N word around. Now every time one of these threads pop up, it is one of those that the N word is an exclusive term for black people. Yet I hear so many puerto ricans throwing the term around even in front of black people with nobody even batting an eye to this. What are your thoughts on this? It really confuses me. Just want your thoughts on this (I know its like adding an entirely new discussion to the hot topic of white vs black right now)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you put a word in every cool movie, cool song, cool people is saying it all day in the street... people are going to use it.
If you don't want people to use it, stop using it, stop uploading videos using it on youtube, stop saying it on the radio, stop doing commedy specials about the word...

It's just that easy.

It's like a father cursing all day in front of his kid and then getting mad at the kid when he curses. If you don't want the kid to curse, don't curse around him.

Or we can watch the penalty when white people use the word publically. It's not that I don't want them to use the word. I'm trying to let white people know that it's not best for them to use the word. There will be some kind of price to be paid. Even if it's just a few people deciding to not be your friend anymore.

I did want to ask. I am Puerto Rican and I hear a ton of my fellow Puerto Ricans throwing the N word around. Now every time one of these threads pop up, it is one of those that the N word is an exclusive term for black people. Yet I hear so many puerto ricans throwing the term around even in front of black people with nobody even batting an eye to this. What are your thoughts on this? It really confuses me. Just want your thoughts on this (I know its like adding an entirely new discussion to the hot topic of white vs black right now)
I have a similar experience.

When I was grade school age, I never heard it. But I was only 1 of the few non whites in school/town.

When I moved to the city, total opposite. I was one of the few who didn't say it in the groups I was around. Black, white, hispanic, asian... all said "Nigga" if they were under 30. I can't say I ever heard anyone say "Nigger" other than in movies or someone saying they were called it before. First time I heard "nigger" in person in real life was in rural areas a few years ago.

Before someone tells me that that's just where I am from... it is. I do not assume that my experience is the only experience.

mckmas8808

"Many black people are talking as if they want to be the only ones to be able to say the word or make all white people guilty for using the word."

This is how people talk over each other and discuss nothing

I am discussing this subject. I just wish more white people would openly admit that they do want to use the "N" word openly and freely. Stop hiding behind the "it's not fair" game. Be honest here!

The word has no place in anyone's vernacular. This notion that only black people should be able to say it is idiocy at its finest. Not to mention that it would be impossible to enforce (how the hell do you determine if someone is black or white) but the word serves no purpose in civilization.

Lamar should have said "no white people at my concerts please" if he really wanted to enforce such an inane stipulation.

I like rap, but I have a difficult time taking any of their messages seriously when the language has to be littered with such a stupid hateful word

Sure buddy. *rolleyes* Just shows how much you aren't actually listening for any message then.

We already talked about it on a couple pages back but basically, proximity to a disenfranchised community is why most black people don't have a problem with Latinos saying the word for the most part. This stuff isn't 100% straight science though because we are dealing with human emotions amongst 10s of millions of people. But on average, yes brown people get a hall pass to use the "N" word. White people don't due to 400 years of American history. It brings up bad memories or thoughts on what the white person's intentions are.

I might as well voice my unpopular opinion.

Firstly though, in response to the quote, what makes you think white people are so desperate to use the word? I see someone post that every time this comes up. I'd like to ask; why are black people so desperate to use a word that was so demeaning to them? I'm going to take a stab at this and say because they see it as a means of empowerment, taking ownership of something that was so hurtful and changing its context. If that is the case then of course context matters, but then you're argument that anyone other than someone who is black is assumed to only ever use it in the context of some derogatory statement.

I live in Australia, I'm white and I never use the word. My friends never use the word. I have absolutely no desire to use the word. When I see or hear someone say 'oh you're just upset because you want to use the word' my eyes just about roll into the back of my head, yeop, that's the problem, all these white people, they're just busting at the seams to say it, it consumes our thoughts constantly, it's like a little fetish white people have.

The reality is the only people who are busting to say it are in fact, saying it anyway, and they are doing it and making sure you hear that really nice hard pronunciation with the 'ER'; and they would be people who do look down upon blacks and they don't give a flying fuck whether you want or even let them use the word because the angrier you get at them, the more they're enjoying it.

It's the hypocrisy of the use of the word that gets me. It's linguistic apartheid. We're going to segregate slang and contextualise the use of words by skin colour? Seriously? "I want equality, we're all people and we should have equal rights and privileges to jobs, education, intellectual pursuits, ideas, lifestyles etc ......except when I tell you my culture has ownership of this word.....and this hair style....and this style of music.....and this way of dressing.....we own that and we don't want you or anyone doing it because that's our shit" Every time this word comes up, every time some one who isn't black has dreadlocks, every time an artist who isn't black makes hip hop music. I can't for the life of me wrap my head around it. You can't with a straight face say all people should have access to all things and then start setting up barriers that differentiate what a person can or cannot do based on skin colour. We had that, and we're trying to get as far away from it as possible.

Even then, the sheer stupidity of trying to explain any justification for this segregation of words and ideas based on skin colour, where do you stop? Even here in Australia I can't not get bombarded with the word; from artists on the radio, to comedy, movies and tv shows to seeing it used on forums by users. Then people wonder why others are using it even in the same context of the original author and then getting slammed for it? You mean someone strung a sentence together and used the word 5 times in that sentence alone and then someone else somehow got the impression that repeating what they said or using it in a similar context was ok? What about people writing scripts for movies, tv shows or even ghost writers, do they sensor themselves to? I would have loved trying to see people book tickets to the '____ In Paris" concert over the phone.

I mean its dead fucking easy to avoid any confusion really, it's ALWAYS offensive, or it's fine in CONTEXT. It can't be both depending on skin colour, because if it was, you'd be a hypocrite or you're fine with some levels of segregation (and that would be one interesting slippery slope if white people started at it, again.....)

1. I don't think all or most white people want to use the "N" word. I think a small percentage of white people want to use it as freely as a black rapper does. To answer your question it's because they are using it and many white people are defending them using it.

2. I don't think you want to you the word. I don't think you do, because you just said you don't want to use it. It's pretty simple.

3. Why do you personally care so much about the hypocrisy of the "N" word when you don't use it yourself? Every black person I've asked agrees with me when we say we'll trade with white people here. Here's the trade! You can say the "N" word freely to us and anybody you want and we black people get true equality. No more using our black sounding names against us on Resumes, our hairstyles are 100% accepting, police and the court systems treat us equal to white folk, state and federal laws that are designed to target us get undone, etc. Will you guys accept this trade?

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
So why do people want to stay attached to the past instead of moving on and try to have peace? I will never understand it.

Blacks people successfully diminunized the deragatory nature of word, and is only effective when they do it.

The shoe strings have loosened as it becomes more culturally normalized, but the deragatory base of it from other races still applies.

Last edited by a moderator:

manfestival

I have a similar experience.

When I was grade school age, I never heard it. But I was only 1 of the few non whites in school/town.

When I moved to the city, total opposite. I was one of the few who didn't say it in the groups I was around. Black, white, hispanic, asian... all said "Nigga" if they were under 30. I can't say I ever heard anyone say "Nigger" other than in movies or someone saying they were called it before. First time I heard "nigger" in person in real life was in rural areas a few years ago.

Before someone tells me that that's just where I am from... it is. I do not assume that my experience is the only experience.
It was a long time before I heard the actual version of the term but of course it was for derogatory purposes when dropped with the "er".

We already talked about it on a couple pages back but basically, proximity to a disenfranchised community is why most black people don't have a problem with Latinos saying the word for the most part. This stuff isn't 100% straight science though because we are dealing with human emotions amongst 10s of millions of people. But on average, yes brown people get a hall pass to use the "N" word. White people don't due to 400 years of American history. It brings up bad memories or thoughts on what the white person's intentions are.
Yeah I hear you on that. It is still bizarre to me. Just seems something to me that should be exclusive in terms of use if thats the case rather than there being an odd exception but there isnt anyone out there specifically trying to say that. Granted I have even had a vietnamese friend that used to use the N word all of the time and that was even more odd but the biggest reaction for obvious reasons is white people using it. Also hope you don't mind me using the word black as I saw you use the word brown. I spent some time in South America and down there , there are lots of indigenous people that get referred to as brown and they refer to anyone of african descent as black.

I am discussing this subject. I just wish more white people would openly admit that they do want to use the "N" word openly and freely. Stop hiding behind the "it's not fair" game. Be honest here!

Sure buddy. *rolleyes* Just shows how much you aren't actually listening for any message then.

1. I don't think all or most white people want to use the "N" word. I think a small percentage of white people want to use it as freely as a black rapper does. To answer your question it's because they are using it and many white people are defending them using it.

2. I don't think you want to you the word. I don't think you do, because you just said you don't want to use it. It's pretty simple.

3. Why do you personally care so much about the hypocrisy of the "N" word when you don't use it yourself? Every black person I've asked agrees with me when we say we'll trade with white people here. Here's the trade! You can say the "N" word freely to us and anybody you want and we black people get true equality. No more using our black sounding names against us on Resumes, our hairstyles are 100% accepting, police and the court systems treat us equal to white folk, state and federal laws that are designed to target us get undone, etc. Will you guys accept this trade?

First off I think throughout these threads I’ve put forth enough effort to show you I understand the common black perception. You were in those threads and I won’t belabor those points again.

Furthermore, I think it is preposterous thinking a word is crippled grown ass people. I don’t have to care about your feelings if you won’t care about mine. If you put forth culture into the open market of ideas and you cannot expect to have the power of policing it. That is the epitome of privilege.

Also, you don’t get to barter on behalf of Black people. I don’t get to barter on behalf of White people. I can’t stop white racists being racists no more than you can stop Black racists from being racist. Stop trying to make a zero sum game. Society has laws to enact equality. Last time I checked White people were at a disadvantage in this regard much like fathers are vs mothers in the law.

I can’t stop the abuse of power other than voting, protesting, discussions and using the power of my dollars. You don’t need to see my general ledger to see if it is paid in full. That is not how society works.

Whitecrow

Banned
Wanting the freedom to say it, and wanting to say it are actually two different things.

I think white people are in the former group.

pr0cs

Yep, it would be real interesting to count how often it's used in lyrics to convey anything beyond a common statement.
Your eye rolls aren't going to make up for the fact that it's overly used and in the process marginalized for its real meaning, hence the white person at the concert singing along like it meant nothing.
There is no question that it's usage doesn't belong in any lyrics outside of discussing racism. Unless your lyrics are about minority struggle it serves zero purpose. Suggesting only blacks should use it is impossible to enforce

AlexUk

Neo Member
I think Idubbz put it best here:

TLDR: It's not a special word and it shouldn't be, either it's allowed or none of them are okay (faggot, spic, spaz, retard etc etc)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This thread shows just how much white people actually "want" to use the "N" word in their daily lives publically.

Don't give me that disingenuous malarkey. You know the context and the issue at hand. There is a major difference from singing a song as it is written, regardless of race/colour/ethnicity/what-have-you and what you are claiming. Do better, mckmas.

What are you talking about?

You as well. You know damn well what they are talking about. In this age of witch hunts, outrage culture, and sad little children trying to play "social justice warrior" (assuming that this isn't all one big media stunt by Kendrick), that girl will be targeted and harassed for a non-issue, just like we have seen countless times before. She could lose her job, be outcast from her friends, have a hard time maintaining an average, day to day life. And for what? Being brought on stage by the artist to sing a song they wrote as they wrote it? That was poor play by both the audience and Kendrick. Travis Scott had a similar incident, except he did the opposite of what Kendrick did:
Travis Scott said:
This makes me want to cry right now... A lot of years ago nobody ever wanted to see this happen. Nobody wanted to see me and you fuckin' with each other tonight in Toronto. I think you just unlocked the last level tonight in Toronto!

He diffused the situation, promoted the unity between both people, and had a killer set. This is what should be happening, but instead we have a bunch of overly sensitive fools who can't handle someone singing a song as it is written, because they have a different colour of skin. Irony in its biggest form.

You as well. You know damn well what they are talking about. In this age of witch hunts, outrage culture, and sad little children trying to play "social justice warrior" (assuming that this isn't all one big media stunt by Kendrick), that girl will be targeted and harassed for a non-issue, just like we have seen countless times before. She could lose her job, be outcast from her friends, have a hard time maintaining an average, day to day life. And for what? Being brought on stage by the artist to sing a song they wrote as they wrote it? That was poor play by both the audience and Kendrick. Travis Scott had a similar incident, except he did the opposite of what Kendrick did:/QUOTE]

This hasn't happened, so you're just speculating.

Blacks people successfully diminunized the deragatory nature of word, and is only effective when they do it.

The shoe strings have loosened as it becomes more culturally normalized, but the deragatory base of it from other races still applies.

I don't think your first sentence makes any sense. Why would there be a need to lessen the effects of a racial slur when said by people who typically would never use that racial slur in the first place?

I agree that when one race of people says a slur that refers to their race, the effect is significantly diminished when compared to the same thing said by any other race, but that's just kind of how racial slurs work. Black people didn't successfully do anything by using that word to refer to each other, except make that word far more ubiquitous than any other racial slur ever.

I still wonder how "I have an idea, let's call ourselves that awful racial slur!" ever got off the ground in the first place.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
And now for some lighter commentary:

**NSFW LANGUAGE**

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Don't give me that disingenuous malarkey. You know the context and the issue at hand. There is a major difference from singing a song as it is written, regardless of race/colour/ethnicity/what-have-you and what you are claiming. Do better, mckmas.

You as well. You know damn well what they are talking about. In this age of witch hunts, outrage culture, and sad little children trying to play "social justice warrior" (assuming that this isn't all one big media stunt by Kendrick), that girl will be targeted and harassed for a non-issue, just like we have seen countless times before. She could lose her job, be outcast from her friends, have a hard time maintaining an average, day to day life. And for what? Being brought on stage by the artist to sing a song they wrote as they wrote it? That was poor play by both the audience and Kendrick. Travis Scott had a similar incident, except he did the opposite of what Kendrick did:

He diffused the situation, promoted the unity between both people, and had a killer set. This is what should be happening, but instead we have a bunch of overly sensitive fools who can't handle someone singing a song as it is written, because they have a different colour of skin. Irony in its biggest form.

I understand the context fully well and that's my point. There are many white people that want to be able to use the "N" word in this context out loud and publically without any scorn or ridicule. This point is extremely obvious at this point. No reason to front like this isn't the case.

Yep, it would be real interesting to count how often it's used in lyrics to convey anything beyond a common statement.
Your eye rolls aren't going to make up for the fact that it's overly used and in the process marginalized for its real meaning, hence the white person at the concert singing along like it meant nothing.
There is no question that it's usage doesn't belong in any lyrics outside of discussing racism. Unless your lyrics are about minority struggle it serves zero purpose. Suggesting only blacks should use it is impossible to enforce

Except you don't get to dictate how we as black folks use the word. You can say it serves zero purpose to you, but you can't say the same thing for us.

My favorite rapper Nas was going to release an album called "Nigga", but changed it to the album having no title at all due to pressure from stores not stocking it. But the message in the album is there and why he called it that was a clear.

Click if you want to see what he had to say about this http://www.nme.com/news/music/nas-4-1323923

Last edited:

Zog

Banned

So they haven't really changed anything then?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This hasn't happened, so you're just speculating.

It has already been shown that there are people targeting her, suggesting she lose her job or be placed in jail for singing the song as it was written. That isn't speculation as it is currently happening. What *is* speculation is that this could actually cause her to lose her job, which isn't an absurd statement to make as we have seen it happen time and time again with these witch hunts. Regardless that wasn't the point I was trying to make. You made a claim that you had no clue what Sahlberg was talking about when you have made it perfectly clear that you knew *exactly* what they were saying. Words have meanings and when you do not use the correct terms, it will inevitably lead to misunderstandings. You knew what was being stated, but you disagreed. You should have explained why you disagreed instead of playing this silly game.

Edit: I am a big dummy. Pardon the mistake, ssolitare.

I understand the context fully well and that's my point. There are many white people that want to be able to use the "N" word in this context out loud and publically without any scorn or ridicule. This point is extremely obvious at this point. No reason to front like this isn't the case.

Except you don't get to dictate how we as black folks use the word. You can say it serves zero purpose to you, but you can't say the same thing for us.

My favorite rapper Nas was going to release an album called "Nigga", but changed it to the album having no title at all due to pressure from stores not stocking it. But the message in the album is there and why he called it that was a clear.

Click if you want to see what he had to say about this http://www.nme.com/news/music/nas-4-1323923

As N NickFire previously stated, there is a major difference between singing along with a song as it was written, especially after being invited to sing along by the artist of the aforementioned song, and wanting to spout the n-word on a regular basis. As I stated above, words have meaning and when you do not use the correct words, it leads to misunderstandings. What you claimed on the first page (what I originally quoted) is a farcry from what you have stated here.

Now, I can agree with you to a point. I would not want someone to be singing a song full of coarse language in the streets or in public areas, however when you are the artist and you invite someone on stage to sing the song you wrote - you should fully expect them to sing that song as it was written. This is why I used Travis Scott as an example who successfully diffused the situation at hand without causing a huge scene.

Last edited:
I don't think your first sentence makes any sense. Why would there be a need to lessen the effects of a racial slur when said by people who typically would never use that racial slur in the first place?

I agree that when one race of people says a slur that refers to their race, the effect is significantly diminished when compared to the same thing said by any other race, but that's just kind of how racial slurs work. Black people didn't successfully do anything by using that word to refer to each other, except make that word far more ubiquitous than any other racial slur ever.

I still wonder how "I have an idea, let's call ourselves that awful racial slur!" ever got off the ground in the first place.

Why would "need" matter when that is what happened? "Nigger" is actually a borrowed word, made derogative with slavery, segregation and etc. Originally it meant black. Now dropping the -er with an -a made it dimmunitive when used intra-racially (now it's shifting). The word is circumstantial, and means something different depending on your status.

pr0cs

That's sort of my point. How do you determine who can and can't use the word? At what point is "you are black enough to use this word"?
Who polices this?
Is there some sort of color card held up to someone to determine if it's acceptable or not?

Last edited:
It has already been shown that there are people targeting her, suggesting she lose her job or be placed in jail for singing the song as it was written. That isn't speculation as it is currently happening. What *is* speculation is that this could actually cause her to lose her job, which isn't an absurd statement to make as we have seen it happen time and time again with these witch hunts. Regardless that wasn't the point I was trying to make. You made a claim that you had no clue what Sahlberg was talking about when you have made it perfectly clear that you knew *exactly* what they were saying. Words have meanings and when you do not use the correct terms, it will inevitably lead to misunderstandings. You knew what was being stated, but you disagreed. You should have explained why you disagreed instead of playing this silly game.

I actually had no clue what he was talking about until you verified.

mckmas8808

As N NickFire previously stated, there is a major difference between singing along with a song as it was written, especially after being invited to sing along by the artist of the aforementioned song, and wanting to spout the n-word on a regular basis. As I stated above, words have meaning and when you do not use the correct words, it leads to misunderstandings. What you claimed on the first page (what I originally quoted) is a farcry from what you have stated here.

Now, I can agree with you to a point. I would not want someone to be singing a song full of coarse language in the streets or in public areas, however when you are the artist and you invite someone on stage to sing the song you wrote - you should fully expect them to sing that song as it was written. This is why I used Travis Scott as an example who successfully diffused the situation at hand without causing a huge scene.

No, what I stated here is a better explanation of what I said on the first page. I short handed my feelings on the first page, but explained it more now. And I agree that either Kendrick or his DJ shouldn't be setting white people up like this (intentionally or not). But again Kendrick didn't create the huge scene. It was her cluelessness that started it. Then it was the crowd that made things worse. At the end it seems like everything became cool to me.

That's sort of my point. How do you determine who can and can't use the word? At what point is "you are black enough to use this word"?
Who polices this?
Is there some sort of color card held up to someone to determine if it's acceptable or not?

Nobody polices this. This is why this thread is so long. It's a good general rule of thumb for white people to not use the word in public and I think most of them know this and it's not a problem. She QUICKLY apologized when Kendrick told her what she did. She understood "what" she did and "why" it was wrong.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
Eh, I don't see the problem. Fan raps the song the way its written. Songwriter says don't sing it that way. Fan says ok.
It was clearly done to spark controversy but it seems like everyone carried on with their lives afterward.

The only people outraged are the ones who want to be outraged and triggered.

Zog

Banned
I am trying to imagine the response if a white artist (or maybe just his/her fans) said that only white people can sing the lyrics as written and recorded. I bet that would be called racist.

Last edited:
I get that it might be weird to hear a non-black person say the word, but fuck kendrick and his team for bringing her up on stage for that song.

Moneal

I get that it might be weird to hear a non-black person say the word, but fuck kendrick and his team for bringing her up on stage for that song.
Calculated.
I don't think he even thought about it. From the way he was reacting before hearing some in the crowd he was totally fine with her singing it that way. He was smiling till he heard some in the crowd booing.

cryptoadam

Banned

I agree with this point. I think the word is disgusting and should be in the trash bin of history. But if its going to be thrown around in the most popular songs, in popular media the word is going to continue to live on.

Jews don't go around saying Kike all the time or putting it in movies/music. Its offensive and we don't want anyone using the word, so we try to minimize it not glorify it.

Personally I don't think blacks or whites should use it at all. Its a trash word that should be moved on from.

But if the word keeps being pushed into the mainstream popular culture, impressionable youth are going to pick up on the word and use it. And if its use in media is 90% not racist its going to make people think its just another normal word and there aren't racist connotations behind it.

Takuan

I don't think he even thought about it. From the way he was reacting before hearing some in the crowd he was totally fine with her singing it that way. He was smiling till he heard some in the crowd booing.
Ah, probably should've watched the clip. The image in my mind is too cringey so I was going off the headline.

Zog

Banned
But if its going to be thrown around in the most popular songs, in popular media the word is going to continue to live on.

Yep, if people don't want the word to live on then they should stop using it otherwise equally minded people must accept everyone using it.

demigod

Did none of you guys watch rush hour? You can’t even say nigga unless you’re black(not everyone is african americans) i hate that shit. Nigger is racist but to me, nigga is like homie so i use it around friends/relatives but never in front of a black person.

This was a dick move by the rapper. He should’ve cheered her on and let the crowd know its ok since its in his song. But nope, he had to ridicule her, what a coward.

Papa

Banned

People are hearing your message but the message is shit. You cling to victimhood status like republicans cling to their guns. You do not hold the memories of a slave who lived 400 years ago; stop applying group level perceptions to yourself as an individual and you might make it in this world.

TheFarter

Banned
Reset Era mods called white people using the word while rapping "abnormal."

Abnormal to sing along with a favorite song. What an abnormal thing to.

God Enel

I'm not sure? What did he expect? I would've done the same thing if the word is in his song?!
Stop writing lyrics like that then.

Is she now labeled Racist and 2nd hitler?

Mohonky

There's nothing to trade. It's not an "us vs them" situation. No one arguing for equality believes any of the things you are justifiable, they are automatically implied.

My beef is simple; if what you believe some one can or can't do, or the way someone should or should not act is determined by their skin colour then straight away you have to question your reasoning as you are by definition stating that a persons skin colour can be used to determine what rights and privileges that person is entitled to.

Naglafar

I and several others got a 3 day ban on Era for suggesting that maybe that was not the best song to invite a white girl up to sing along to. Its nice to see actual discussion here.

That said - Kendrick is a smart dude and politically minded. What was he thinking? He had to know what would happen.

cryptoadam

Banned
I and several others got a 3 day ban on Era for suggesting that maybe that was not the best song to invite a white girl up to sing along to. Its nice to see actual discussion here.

That said - Kendrick is a smart dude and politically minded. What was he thinking? He had to know what would happen.

This isn't the trash ERA thread, but ya that place is either 100% think like we do or get banned. Its an echo chamber not a discussion forum. If you don't fall in line you are eventually banned out.

There are post I made here that would of gotten me kicked out of ERA for sure. Its nice that different POV can be discussed on this board and the moderation isn't out of control. I may not like every post I read but there is a chance to debate and discuss.

NickFire

I just looked at that thread for shits and giggles. The "moderation" in that thread is hysterical.

Dark Star

He asked her on stage to sing the lyrics to a song he wrote. Then he called her out for singing the lyrics in the song he wrote?

What do you expect? Like how can people be upset by this? Who is upset?

pretty much this. if anyone is to be "blamed" for this ... it's Kendrick.

Kamal Khan

Neo Member
Rap hasn't been cool since 1998ish-2000ish to be honest.

During its rise in the 80's into the 90's it was what took the place after the death of punk.
It was the big "fuck you" to society.

Late 90's saw the rise of TRL, saw Puff Daddy sampling the fuck out of pop songs and wearing a shiny suits.
Every rapper decided they were also in the mafia.
Nas went from Illmatic to a pink suit doing a scene from Casino.
Meth and Red made comedy movies..

Rap is pop music.

Rap is about as counter culture and subversive as the 10 year old white girls it appeals to.

I'm sorry... I never liked main stream pop shit.
Buying a rap album is like buying a Imagine Dragons album. Packaged, mainstream pop.

Your gonna have stupid white people saying the N bomb since rap is pop and not counter culture anymore.

You dont get a Lambo and $500k teeth unless every Becky gets to say Nigga.

No thanks.
You're referring to an entire genre as "mainstream pop" but seem to be unaware that there is such a thing as underground rap. It amazes me how so many people assume that what you hear on the top 40 stations is all that exists of a genre, allowing them to easily dismiss it as a whole while never having been exposed to the other 99% of it. It's the equivalent of saying horror movies suck based on only having seen the last Paranormal Activity flick.

Top Bottom