• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar halts performance after white fan he invited on stage says N-word

cryptoadam

Banned
pretty much this. if anyone is to be "blamed" for this ... it's Kendrick.

From the looks of it Kendrick didn't really care till the crowd started turning on the girl. Then the girl stopped using the Nword. It was a faux pas on both sides.

Its seems like though people want to make it into a bigger deal and try and paint it as all white people are secret racist who just can't wait to blurt out the n word.

cryptoadam

Banned
You're referring to an entire genre as "mainstream pop" but seem to be unaware that there is such a thing as underground rap. It amazes me how so many people assume that what you hear on the top 40 stations is all that exists of a genre, allowing them to easily dismiss it as a whole while never having been exposed to the other 99% of it. It's the equivalent of saying horror movies suck based on only having seen the last Paranormal Activity flick.

I think you miss the point. Sure there is underground rap music, but rap music and hip hop as a culture is mainstream. It WAS counter culture and completely underground. Mainstream America, white America didn't really know about Rap or thought it was a fad, and barely any white people heard black people saying the N word over and over again.

cryptoadam

Banned
Still not convinced that the girl is at fault at all.

I get the girl was probably caught up in the moment, but in theory she should know better then to say that word.

Its the same if a song had the F word in it and someone asked you to perform it in front of a bunch of toddlers. It makes sense to censor the swear word out.

brap

Banned
Its the same if a song had the F word in it and someone asked you to perform it in front of a bunch of toddlers.
Literally nobody would ever ask that. And if you want disgusting evil white devils to sing your song then don't put the word nigga in it or don't ask them to sing it. Problem solved.

Moneal

I get the girl was probably caught up in the moment, but in theory she should know better then to say that word.

Its the same if a song had the F word in it and someone asked you to perform it in front of a bunch of toddlers. It makes sense to censor the swear word out.

Why in the world would someone be singing a song with the F word in front of a bunch of toddlers? That is why this whole thing doesn't make sense. These people are not toddlers and they don't have a problem with the word sung by someone with dark skin. You don't say the f word in front of children because they don't understand what the word means, and you don't want them saying it. These people know what the word means and only want themselves and people that look like them saying it.

Dunki

When people argue that other people based on their skin color can not say words do things etc I call this person racist and that this is discrimination. People black white or whatever grew up with these words through the media they consume and if you want that white people do not say something you feel offended by do not say it as well.

pr0cs

These people know what the word means and only want themselves and people that look like them saying it.
That's part of the problem though. Is the word being used negatively, is the woman singing it with malicious intent? If she's rapping to emulate the song then where is the issue? At what point is "you are black enough to sing this song"? Do you not see the goofy logic being applied to the usage of a barbaric word?

cryptoadam

Banned
Literally nobody would ever ask that. And if you want disgusting evil white devils to sing your song then don't put the word nigga in it or don't ask them to sing it. Problem solved.

I assume there is probably a radio edit of the song with that word in it?

But overall I agree with your point that the N word shouldn't be used nor glorified. Its a word that should be in the dust bin of history and its not white people who are keeping it kicking around.

Why in the world would someone be singing a song with the F word in front of a bunch of toddlers? That is why this whole thing doesn't make sense. These people are not toddlers and they don't have a problem with the word sung by someone with dark skin. You don't say the f word in front of children because they don't understand what the word means, and you don't want them saying it. These people know what the word means and only want themselves and people that look like them saying it.

The point is that if there is a bad word most people would censor themselves from saying it. When a word is inaprorpriate we process it in our heads and make the right decision to not say it. If I was in a place where the F word was not appropriate and it came up on a script or in a song I would try my best to not say it. Same with the N word. Its not a word anyone should be saying, black/white/latino/martian.

Personally I don't think the N word should be said at all, wether its with a hard R or ends in an A. There is too much baggage with that word.

cryptoadam

Banned
When people argue that other people based on their skin color can not say words do things etc I call this person racist and that this is discrimination. People black white or whatever grew up with these words through the media they consume and if you want that white people do not say something you feel offended by do not say it as well.

I agree with this point. If the word is so offensive then why keep it alive?

As an example Jews find the word Kike offensive. Well Jews aren't going around saying Kike this and Kike that. You won't find many Jewish songs or movies with the word Kike all over them. Jews don't want non Jews saying Kike, nor do they want Jews saying it either.

I don't think its racist to not want non black people to NOT say the N word because it has a lot of baggage. But on the same token don't go around gloryfing the word.

Grinchy

Banned

That's true, the crowd who got upset over this definitely acted like a bunch of toddlers.

Last edited:

Moneal

That's part of the problem though. Is the word being used negatively, is the woman singing it with malicious intent? If she's rapping to emulate the song then where is the issue? At what point is "you are black enough to sing this song"? Do you not see the goofy logic being applied to the usage of a barbaric word?

Thats exactly what I mean. The people wouldn't know if the black person singing it had malicious intent and they would be ok with it, because they had the right shade. I know if I were on stage and sang it, I would probably get booed too. My dad is black and mom is white, but I have pretty light skin. Also my features don't come off black to most people, black people included. I was called a honky and other white slurs when I was at school in Memphis. So, yea the word needs to go.

Papa

Banned

Which theory is that?

jadedm17

Cryptoadam I hate your analogy : The main point here is this is Kendricks choice of who to sing, choice of what to sing and he's the one who put that word in.... Why would I censor his art? The audience are grown and we can assume have heard this word probably many being from the person who's concert they are at. Smh

Absolutely agreed, it's tough for Kendrick as well given the crowd's reaction. This is one of those situations that it could have turned into a clusterfuck of awkwardness and gladly it didn't. I wish we collectively didn't overthink these "in the moment" things because we're all humans and not infallible social robots that won't fumble any interaction. It's sad that it seems like nowadays we expect others to follow our standards of perfection 24/7.

In the moment maybe don't put a young girl in a situation to know to know to censor your song? "Hey come up and sing most of the words in the following lines". Did he not have another lyric without that word? I don't expect infallible but assumptions are ridiculous, why have that be a situation? Your version of the song isn't censored so why would she water down your vision? I don't get it

Last edited:

pickleslips

I hope so. White people need to take it back. Stop stealing our words. Or just stop getting upset when people use it. Imagine if there was a word white people said that black people couldn't. There would be riots.

Why would anybody feel uncomfortable about a word that's so widely used? If you wanna be one of those white guilt people then go ahead but I have nothing to be guilty about. And btw NEVER listen to this song or your might have a panic attack. That goes for all people that feel uncomfortable about the word 'nigga'. You have been warned.

That artist is black though? And you're not worth replying to.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I and several others got a 3 day ban on Era for suggesting that maybe that was not the best song to invite a white girl up to sing along to. Its nice to see actual discussion here.

That said - Kendrick is a smart dude and politically minded. What was he thinking? He had to know what would happen.

It's possible the DJ played the wrong version and was supposed to play the edited version.

This girl and many posters here have made me realize how many people listen to rap music, but don't actually have many or any black friends. You don't say that word as a white person and show that you are that clueless unless none of your close friends are black.

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

It's possible the DJ played the wrong version and was supposed to play the edited version.

This girl and many posters here have made me realize how many people listen to rap music, but don't actually have many or any black friends. You don't say that word as a white person and show that you are that clueless unless none of your close friends are black.
Well it was a live show so I don’t see how you would ‘play’ a radio edit.

Besides, if the black community don’t like the word being said , then perhaps maybe they should stop using it so freely in the first place.

It’s rather childish to regulate a slang word and police it so only people of certain colors can use it. That’s like me having you play Super Mario bros. And throwing a fit because -oops, “only white people can eat the mushrooms”.

As a country, we moved past having blacks only rest rooms. We moved past blacks on the back of the bus only. We moved past whites only businesses. As a country, we’ve fought for equality , and yet here we are, only X color can say X words.

Aren’t we above this shit?

mckmas8808

Well it was a live show so I don’t see how you would ‘play’ a radio edit.

Besides, if the black community don’t like the word being said , then perhaps maybe they should stop using it so freely in the first place.

It’s rather childish to regulate a slang word and police it so only people of certain colors can use it. That’s like me having you play Super Mario bros. And throwing a fit because -oops, “only white people can eat the mushrooms”.

As a country, we moved past having blacks only rest rooms. We moved past blacks on the back of the bus only. We moved past whites only businesses. As a country, we’ve fought for equality , and yet here we are, only X color can say X words.

Aren’t we above this shit?

We don't all have a problem with the word being used. We don't like it being used by certain people because.....we don't know your intent and lets face it, it just doesn't feel right when a white person says it to a black person. Even if it's a song.

And as a country, we have NOT moved past racism. Yes it's not 1950s racism, but it's racism non the less.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We don't all have a problem with the word being used. We don't like it being used by certain people because.....we don't know your intent and lets face it, it just doesn't feel right when a white person says it to a black person. Even if it's a song.

And as a country, we have NOT moved past racism. Yes it's not 1950s racism, but it's racism non the less.

It is very clear the intent of someone singing a song. They are singing the bloody song. Now if that song was directly disparaging black folk, then I can understand where you are coming from - except it wasn't. It was just a girl trying to have fun after being brought on stage by one of her favorite artists.

We will *never* move past racism. It will always exist, but things can improve. Instead of worrying about tiny little non-issues like the white girl singing a rap song on stage situation or complaining about the past, we should be look at what the current issues are and how we can improve them. We can appreciate how far we have come and see where we can still go. This is where I see most people tend to think, but we have certain vocal minorities that want to play the victim card for as long as they can without contributing to fixing real issues that still exist.

mckmas8808

It is very clear the intent of someone singing a song. They are singing the bloody song. Now if that song was directly disparaging black folk, then I can understand where you are coming from - except it wasn't. It was just a girl trying to have fun after being brought on stage by one of her favorite artists.

We will *never* move past racism. It will always exist, but things can improve. Instead of worrying about tiny little non-issues like the white girl singing a rap song on stage situation or complaining about the past, we should be look at what the current issues are and how we can improve them. We can appreciate how far we have come and see where we can still go. This is where I see most people tend to think, but we have certain vocal minorities that want to play the victim card for as long as they can without contributing to fixing real issues that still exist.

Don't trip Claus. Not many black people actually think this situation is important. We are just commenting on the situation. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. The only serious thing about it is, we don't want white people at large to be comfortable saying the "N" word to a song in public. But this one incident isn't really that serious.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Don't trip Claus. Not many black people actually think this situation is important. We are just commenting on the situation. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. The only serious thing about it is, we don't want white people at large to be comfortable saying the "N" word to a song in public. But this one incident isn't really that serious.

Don't trip? Confused by that statement.

I have to disagree with your mindset. White people have every right to say the term if it is part of a song. However, as I stated - there is a time and a place. I wouldn't expect a member of the black community to sing such a song in public either. At a festival/concert where the song is being played? They have every right to sing that song, regardless of ethnicity.

mckmas8808

Don't trip? Confused by that statement.

I have to disagree with your mindset. White people have every right to say the term if it is part of a song. However, as I stated - there is a time and a place. I wouldn't expect a member of the black community to sing such a song in public either. At a festival/concert where the song is being played? They have every right to sing that song, regardless of ethnicity.

Don't trip meaning "relax a little". Yes white people have a right to say it to a song in public. But expect for most people in this country to also view you a certain type of way when you do it.

Texas Pride

Banned
If you write lyrics in a song that are offensive and invite people to sing those lyrics you don't get to be mad they did just that. Lamar and the people booing are the dumbasses here. In the context of this incident I'm not faulting the fan for participating and saying what she did. And as I've stated before. If the word really is that offensive then the truth is nobody should say it period. Stop saying the word and accepting it based on whether you qualify as the right Race to say it and it'll slowly disappear from our vocabulary.

Gold_Loot

So are we unsure of this girls intent on stage? I sought she was attending a hip hop show and a fan of Kendrick if she was racist.

Also, I never said we “moved past racism”. I said we have come along way towards equality. Stunts such as this only slows things down.

mckmas8808

Really? That’s the story you’re going with?

I said it's possible. It doesn't matter, because it was obviously the wrong song to play if Kendrick wants to do this nationwide. You can't set your fans up to fail like this. Especially not in public.

Cato

Banned
I said it's possible. It doesn't matter, because it was obviously the wrong song to play if Kendrick wants to do this nationwide. You can't set your fans up to fail like this. Especially not in public.

Really just boils down to : If you take the white womans money then you have to let her sing along.
Doesn't get more basic than that.

Then suggesting that Kendrick records his songs in two versions, one for people that can not say the word(whites) and those that find it deeply offensive no matter WHO says it(africans) and another version for everyone else just does not sound reality based.

Last edited:

llien

Jesus this is so nuanced for merely a word.
Why don't you ban it altogether?

PS
Thread title is misleading.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Honestly, all the white people who love saying it during songs, wish they would in public so I know who to avoid.
So you want people saying nigger in public? I dont get the logic, people singing a lyric is about as harmless as it gets. The problem is the complete lack of awareness for context.

So a young black kid I work with called me (white) a nigga just this morning. You would avoid that kid based on one word he said in anger, probably not even realizing what he actually said could have had a negative impact?

You sound irrational.

So you want people saying nigger in public? I dont get the logic, people singing a lyric is about as harmless as it gets. The problem is the complete lack of awareness for context.

So a young black kid I work with called me (white) a nigga just this morning. You would avoid that kid based on one word he said in anger, probably not even realizing what he actually said could have had a negative impact?

You sound irrational.

Can you please stop saying the hard 'R', 'er', n-word? Then we can really talk. It's better that this forum doesn't use it.

Think the immediate situation has been argued to fruition hopefully, maybe lock and open a general thread if interested in continuing this discourse

CreamCream

Banned

You sound irrational.
He was black, so no, I would not.

You see, I exist in the real world. So I understand the difference between a black person saying it and a white person. I am black. If you think me getting offended by white people saying it is “irrational” you are the one who needs a reality check.

TrainedRage

Banned
Can you please stop saying the hard 'R', 'er', n-word? Then we can really talk. It's better that this forum doesn't use it.
Eh, I don't feel the word is inherently bad.

When used as an insult it shouldn't be said you're right.

But my belief is that either it's ok for everyone to say or no one to say.

I think you are getting side tracked by just the sight of the word. Please call me out if I use it as a personal insult. But if you want to discuss it I'm game.

TrainedRage

Banned
He was black, so no, I would not.

You see, I exist in the real world. So I understand the difference between a black person saying it and a white person. I am black. If you think me getting offended by white people saying it is “irrational” you are the one who needs a reality check.
Lemme see if I'm understanding you correctly.

It's ok for those that consider themselves black to say. In any instance.

But it's not ok for a white person to use it in any instance?

Is that right or am I still misunderstanding you.

CreamCream

Banned
Lemme see if I'm understanding you correctly.

It's ok for those that consider themselves black to say. In any instance.

But it's not ok for a white person to use it in any instance?

Is that right or am I still misunderstanding you.
"Consider themselves black"

No. People who are black.

I said that I get uncomfortable by white people freely using the word when singing songs. I also get uncomfortable and upset when white people use it to insult and denigrate black people. I don't have a problem with white characters saying it in movies (usually), but it is still an uncomfortable word.

Please stop pretending that this is complicated. It's not.

TrainedRage

Banned
"Consider themselves black"

No. People who are black.

I said that I get uncomfortable by white people freely using the word when singing songs. I also get uncomfortable and upset when white people use it to insult and denigrate black people. I don't have a problem with white characters saying it in movies (usually), but it is still an uncomfortable word.

Please stop pretending that this is complicated. It's not.
So the only time it's OK for white people to say nigga is when they are getting paid by Hollywood to say it in a movie?

Why is it ok for a guy in a movie to say it but if I'm singing a song I can't say it?

YOU are making it complicated. Here let me simplify it... Either everyone can say it or no one can say it.

CreamCream

Banned
So the only time it's OK for white people to say nigga is when they are getting paid by Hollywood to say it in a movie?

Why is it ok for a guy in a movie to say it but if I'm singing a song I can't say it?

YOU are making it complicated. Here let me simplify it... Either everyone can say it or no one can say it.
You’re right that everyone can say it. That won’t stop it from making me or other black people upset. Sorry.

TrainedRage

Banned
You’re right that everyone can say it. That won’t stop it from making me or other black people upset. Sorry.
OK. See I agree with you there. It shouldn't be used specifically to upset black people. So now we can move to the topic of intent.

Do you think the white girl on stage said "that word" with the intent to upset all the black people in the audience?

CreamCream

Banned
OK. See I agree with you there. It shouldn't be used specifically to upset black people. So now we can move to the topic of intent.

Do you think the white girl on stage said "that word" with the intent to upset all the black people in the audience?
No, I don’t. But that doesn’t stop it from making me uncomfortable. that’s just the reality. I’m not mad at her, because she apologized and I felt it was sincere. and because I know her intent wasn’t malicious in the first place.

I also think that white girl seems a lot more understanding than most here, and idk feels like Kendrick handled the whole thing pretty easily and she didn’t leave bitter or anything.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
No, I don’t. But that doesn’t stop it from making me uncomfortable. that’s just the reality.

I also think that white girl seems a lot more understanding than most here, and idk feels like Kendrick handled the whole thing pretty easily and she didn’t leave bitter or anything.

Fair enough. I think you are right, they both handled it as best as they could have given the circumstance. So I apologize to you for thinking that you thought "only black people could say it". Bottom line for me is I don't like to have people tell me what I can and cant say.

Let me say it, and as you stated before people will judge me for my choice of words. But you (I) should still have that choice.

Also randomly OT question for ya.... I notice that you post on another site. Can I ask, did you used to be a member here? Why did you come back? No offense honestly just think your response could be enlightening for GAF to hear. Either way welcome! Back?

Last edited:

CreamCream

Banned
Fair enough. I think you are right, they both handled it as best as they could have given the circumstance. So I apologize to you for thinking that you thought "only black people could say it". Bottom line for me is I don't like to have people tell me what I can and cant say.

Let me say it, and as you stated before people will judge me for my choice of words. But you (I) should still have that choice.

Also randomly OT question for ya.... I notice that you post on another site. Can I ask, did you used to be a member here? Why did you come back? No offense honestly just think your response could be enlightening for GAF to hear. Either way welcome! Back?
I was Cream, here, way before the rift happened. I was also Cream on Era, and Cream on the bore. I’m on neither of those sites anymore.

This forum seems to have a large majority be people who do not share my politics or beliefs or perspective, much like The Bore. So I thought it would be interesting to come and you know, talk. I like seeing how the other side thinks.

TrainedRage

Banned
I was Cream, here, way before the rift happened. I was also Cream on Era, and Cream on the bore. I’m on neither of those sites anymore.

This forum seems to have a large majority be people who do not share my politics or beliefs or perspective, much like The Bore. So I thought it would be interesting to come and you know, talk. I like seeing how the other side thinks.
Good for you. I can empathize with that. Knowledge is power. Why did you leave those other sites? I honestly thought you were 'in tight' with the ERA community. I'm glad you are here so we can have these discussions. :)

CreamCream

Banned
Good for you. I can empathize with that. Knowledge is power. Why did you leave those other sites? I honestly thought you were 'in tight' with the ERA community. I'm glad you are here so we can have these discussions. :)
Self requested ban from the bore because they are awful, generally. Perma’d on Era for being too inflammatory to other posters who deserved it. They have a problem with preferring negative peace over positive justice on Era. But I actually think the same is even more true of GAF.

You can cut the act though. We don’t have to be friends. I know who you are, and based on your beliefs (and that ginger thread especially) we will never get along.

Top Bottom