• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billboard: "Shawn Mendes Could Bump 'Despacito' From No. 1 on Pop Songs Chart"

lenovox1

It's Latin daddies (feat. twink) vs. Twinklette in a battle to see who comes out on top.

(Source: Billboard)

Shawn Mendes is on course for his second No. 1 on the Pop Songs airplay chart, as “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back” is eyeing the top slot of the Aug. 19-dated tally.

The track rose 3-2 on the Pop Songs list dated Aug. 12 with a 10 percent gain in spins at the format in the week ending July 27, according to Nielsen Music. It’s nipping at the heels of the current No. 1: “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, featuring Justin Bieber. “Despacito,” however, is declining in airplay at the format (it was down less than 1 percent for the week) so it may not be able to fend off Mendes for another week.

“Despacito” has been No. 1 on Pop Songs for the past four weeks. It was the first leader for both Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, and the fifth for Bieber.

[...]

For reference:

Shawn Mendes "There's Nothing Holding Me Back"

Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee "Despacito" (feat. Justin Bieber)

TBH, Shawn Mendes wrote a damn fine hook.

MIMIC

Banned
First time I've ever seen this guy's face 😄

Don't know why but I really like Shawn Mendez's songs. He's a decent vocalist and the music is really funky.

Hadn't heard this Mendes song yet.

Don't love it, but I appreciate the refreshing lack of robo-voices in it compared to a lot of pop these days.

lenovox1

Twink? Twinkette?

Twinklette isn't a thing (it's a children's blanket brand actually) [eta: I guess it is a thing], but you've been on this board for how long and never learned what a twink is? 😉

For educational purposes, it just means a boyish looking man.

Being white doesn't make someone a twink OP... I mean come on, Shawn is fucking ripped.

Anyways... I like the Shawn song. It is fun.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It won't happen.

Despacito coming for Mariah's record. It's okay, she still has that one Christmas song!

pzFksSw.gif

This is what Todd In The Shadows referred to as the Old Bieber vs the New Bieber. I'd go with the former in general, but the latter in the case of those of these two specific songs.

Bieber sounds like a Valley kid struggling with his oral report in a middle school Spanish elective. While Mendes sounds like if Gavin DeGraw started off on Disney Radio.

lenovox1

Being white doesn't make someone a twink OP... I mean come on, Shawn is fucking ripped.

Anyways... I like the Shawn song. It is fun.

It just means a youthful looking man. I, mean, I guess we can call him a twunk, but he's not really all that big regardless of how shredded he might be.

Someone I know was childhood friends with Shawn Mendes and all I'm going to say is "twink" is not an entirely wrong word choice.

Top Bottom