• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

Ok NVM last minute change. Superfriend wants to play this and Syndicate together on 360, so looks like that's the version i'm getting by default now

oh well, least I get a better framerate lol

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yeah

And the whole explanation why BD is not worth 60 bucks is just sad :/

It basically comes down to the fact that

A. The game I'm most excited for that is very similar combat wise comes out 2 weeks later.

B. This game will probably bomb hard sales wise so if it turns out great (and doesn't have an online pass) I can probably buy a new copy for 30 when I'm done with ME3.

Tizoc

It basically comes down to the fact that

A. The game I'm most excited for that is very similar combat wise comes out 2 weeks later.

B. This game will probably bomb hard sales wise so if it turns out great (and doesn't have an online pass) I can probably buy a new copy for 30 when I'm done with ME3.

I believe the game doesn't have an online pass as I checked the inside of my copy's box and all there is is the manual and nothing about a code.

DCharlie

Banned
went with the PS3 version as it came with the head set that i don't have for the PS3.

As already mentioned - thrilled it's FULLY in English for the Japanese version, not played it beyond 10 minutes. :/

need to find time

While it wasn't the most interesting to play, there is a ton of cool stuff going on in this game that I really like. The procedural destruction is great, the squad mate trust is neat, and the dialogue options surprised me (I didn't even know they were a thing in BD). While I will await certain reviews, my interest is certainly higher than it was last week.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Finally played the demo.

Controls well.

Already HATE the conversation system. It honestly just doesn't make sense.

"You agreed with the giant black man that my ass looks good? Well fuck off and die I'm not covering you so you can kill the sniper."

.....wut?

Maybe if I had sacrificed a bunch of civilians to kill the boss and she then refused to be in my squad it could make sense, but this was just silly in the worst way.

UrbanRats

Finally played the demo.

Controls well.

Already HATE the conversation system. It honestly just doesn't make sense.

"You agreed with the giant black man that my ass looks good? Well fuck off and die I'm not covering you so you can kill the sniper."

.....wut?

Maybe if I had sacrificed a bunch of civilians to kill the boss and she then refused to be in my squad it could make sense, but this was just silly in the worst way.

Agreed, it is silly. :p
But it's also fun, for me.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Agreed, it is silly. :p
But it's also fun, for me.

2nd demo mission sealed it for me, if I play it, it will be with my tv muted/not using the dialogue choices. The French robot might be the worst thing ever, he might as well have a gun that shoots wine and throw bleu cheese grenades and have frog legs.

Loyalty status also will be a pain in the ass when your squadmates constantly run in front of my cross hairs and for some reason have repeatedly ran into me while I'm meleeing a robot.

Do like the robots look/dismemberment though. Bullet spongey but it actually makes sense unlike say uncharted where I'll unload a clip and a half into a dudes face/chest.

wabo

Banned
2nd demo mission sealed it for me, if I play it, it will be with my tv muted/not using the dialogue choices. The French robot might be the worst thing ever, he might as well have a gun that shoots wine and throw bleu cheese grenades and have frog legs.

Loyalty status also will be a pain in the ass when your squadmates constantly run in front of my cross hairs and for some reason have repeatedly ran into me while I'm meleeing a robot.

Do like the robots look/dismemberment though. Bullet spongey but it actually makes sense unlike say uncharted where I'll unload a clip and a half into a dudes face/chest.

I have opposite feelings about it. The plot and the mechanics (loyalty system), in theory, look promising. But then I tried the demo and... well, it just doesn't work. Shooting feels to me as clunky as pre-patch U3, plus adding crappy ally AI and breaking loyalty system with decisions that don't make sense at all. Then, mix with extremely scripted events and you got it.

I don't mind tech aspects, I don't mind clichés, but I do core playability and is not promising.

Didn't try online, however (nor expect to do it, this kind of games are meant to be played with friends and none of them are going to buy it), maybe it gets a lot better (no Artificial Stupidity and no loyalty system I guess).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I went down the recognized word list and got it to recognize everything...except Fuck. I even had my sister and dad try it, none of us got it to recognize that word. That's the only one I fucking need, what's the deal? :(

I went down the recognized word list and got it to recognize everything...except Fuck. I even had my sister and dad try it, none of us got it to recognize that word. That's the only one I fucking need, what's the deal? :(

Yeah I don't know. It kept thinking I was saying 'Faye.'

Does that menu just test the way you say things or does the system actually learn?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah I don't know. It kept thinking I was saying 'Faye.'

Does that menu just test the way you say things or does the system actually learn?

It seems to just "rate" how well it recognizes what you say, and you can toggle the threshold of what will pass in the game.

I have opposite feelings about it. The plot and the mechanics (loyalty system), in theory, look promising. But then I tried the demo and... well, it just doesn't work. Shooting feels to me as clunky as pre-patch U3, plus adding crappy ally AI and breaking loyalty system with decisions that don't make sense at all. Then, mix with extremely scripted events and you got it.

I don't mind tech aspects, I don't mind clichés, but I do core playability and is not promising.

Didn't try online, however (nor expect to do it, this kind of games are meant to be played with friends and none of them are going to buy it), maybe it gets a lot better (no Artificial Stupidity and no loyalty system I guess).

This games is a single player story mode only with a co-op mode ala horde mode and pvp.......
I found the shooting fine, you know you can improve your weapon's precision within the upgrade shop, might be why you thought clunky idk. Anyone in the UK playing the demo having a slighty hard time in voice recognition? I had to talk abit more with American accent for some words XD, wouldn't recognize my "Thanks" T.T

I love the demo. Anyone else find themselves playing it over and over?
I have to stop before I burnout for the final release. I think I'll finish
Vanquish now.
The second level is a challenge. What makes it cool is that you can upgrade the weapons
Which improves control. Plus the robot designs are well done. Also the damage system is great. The shooting mech are a lot smoother than Uncharted IMO.

That's it no more demo until the final game!

Suzuki Yu

try "fuck it" and it will work for you

mujun

This game is really really solid (8/10 or thereabouts on my scale) and fun. The story is better than that of your average shooter and would make a great action movie. They spend a lot more time on it too than you would expect in this type of game. Has a bit of Japanese cheese but not too much.

Shooting feels really nice and sharp. It's fun to run into a group of enemies and mow them down. Love the way your squad is constantly amazed at your skills, too. Feels like something new in a shooter.

The game is generally well paced though some spots do go on a touch long (shooting sequences and vehicle sequences mainly). Bosses are really cool.

Looks great, love the design. Has a Mass Effect vibe in some ways.

Also really long for a shooter, you get your money's worth.

EDIT: Posting from work now.

There are some cool set pieces with some inoffensive QTE stuff which added to the tension for me. Bravo for the refined implementation.

The levelling up of the guns and characters could use some work. I don't ever really feel like it's making much of a difference, it's too incremental and too stat focused.

There is a good variety of settings and lots of twists and turns. Unlike a lot of games (COD being the worst offender) you really feel like you are making your way through the world. You pretty much spend time in every part of the world from where you start to where you end up and because of that it gives the world a very coherent feel as well as making it memorable.

Some powers would have been nice. You do a lot of shooting and the weapons feel a little samey (not to mention the fact that you only level up your assault rifle so you'll want to stick with it as much as possible). Some sort of crazy "hit a bunch of opponents" melee attack or rush or something with a cool down would have been nice. They could have piled on the enemies a bit more too if they'd done that forcing you to manage the cool down.

All in all a great game though and I have no qualms in recommending it to any fans of shooters or just action games in general.

Tomasooie

I wouldn't mind taking on the OT. It'd be a complete 180 from my Daytona OT, and more in the vein of Quinntendopower's thread. Anyone else thinking about doing it though?

mujun

Just finished it off. Took 8-8.5 hours on the normal difficulty. End 1.5 hours or so probably pushed this game up a little further in my estimation. Will go down as one of my favorite 3rd person shooters. In terms of the actual shooting itself (and nothing else) I'd say it's Binary Domain>Gears>Uncharted.

Just finished it off. Took 8-8.5 hours on the normal difficulty. End 1.5 hours or so probably pushed this game up a little further in my estimation. Will go down as one of my favorite 3rd person shooters. In terms of the actual shooting itself (and nothing else) I'd say it's Binary Domain>Gears>Uncharted.

SNAP!

Sounds good..........NO VANQUISH?

Sojgat

finished this yesterday in one (very long) sitting. I was suprised by how good the character movement and shooting controlled, not as good as gears but better than the me3 demo.

What impressed me most was all the little one off set pieces used to break up the shooting areas (only 2 of which are on rails shooting sequences), and some of the environments are very cool.

It may be a bad sign that Its pretty cheap in Australia, $68 retail at EB compared to like $109 for most new releases, but Its definately not a budget game. Enjoyed this more than any thing else so far this year.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Vanquish>>Gears>>>Binary Domain>>>>Deadspace>>>>>>>>>Mass Effect>>>>>>Transformers>>>SOCOM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Random open world game's that include 3rd person shooting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Uncharted

I remember when the Binary Domain trailer first premiered I never thought it would look and play this good my impressions are based purely on the 360 demo. That said being a huge fan of Ghost in the Shell I can’t wait to play the retail release.

Dyno

Played more of this demo over the weekend and I'm enjoying it. Part 2 seems to show off some challenge level difficulty that had me sweating quite a lot. It seems to be a game with a lot of skill building or skill refining, which will be great. Definately looking forward to it.

acm2000

finally got round to playing this demo last night, how disappointing, graphics have a really odd, semi realistic, but cartoony look, its horrible, weapons have no punch, feel weak, engine throws around some lovely motion blur effects, but subhd is very visible still, only played the first demo mission so far, but after finishing that, i didnt even wanna bother trying the 2nd one, maybe i will tonight to see if its any more interesting.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Vanquish>>Gears>>>Binary Domain>>>>Deadspace>>>>>>>>>Mass Effect>>>>>>Transformers>>>SOCOM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Random open world game's that include 3rd person shooting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Uncharted

I loved the shooting in uncharted 2, so I would disagree. That said. I cannot wait to play binary domain next week. Too bad the cover art sucks and amazon is not having release date shipping.

I had no idea this game existed until I saw the demo on xbl. Figured this would be terribad but was very pleasantly surprised. Love the aesthetic!

...too bad it's 60 bux.

With ME3 on the way, no way I'm dropping full price on a game that'll end up in the bargain bin pretty quickly. I'd be dumb to do that.

and that's not a knock against the game, that's just how things tend to roll this gen. I know, I'm part of the problem.

Riposte

Anyone who says Mass Effect 2 is better (at being a TPS anyway) than Uncharted 2 or 3 is being pretty crazy. The shipyard gun fight in Uncharted 3 alone was collectively more interesting than every gun fight in ME combined (at least until the DLCs added some long overdue interesting bosses).

I am highly interested in that 20 dollars off deal, assuming you weren't just talking about left over amazon credit or something. Don't want to choose between this and Armored Core V.

mujun

Anyone who says Mass Effect 2 is better (at being a TPS anyway) than Uncharted 2 or 3 is being pretty crazy. The shipyard gun fight in Uncharted 3 alone was collectively more interesting than every gun fight in ME combined (at least until the DLCs added some long overdue interesting bosses).

You do like to act all superior don't you. I expected you to post in the thread sooner, were you banned?

I disagree. The shipyard area was great, loved it. I find the wrinkles that squadmates and powers add make ME more interesting though. My personal favorite ME2 fight is the boss fight where you help the Turians and get Tali on your team. The sunlight dynamic added to it all as well.

I think ME makes up for its shitty, janky combat with squadmates and powers.

Doesn't make the combat any LESS shitty/janky, mind you.

Riposte

You do like to act all superior don't you. I expected you to post in the thread sooner, were you banned?

Never been banned.

Certain I've posted in this thread several times.

The complete lack of interesting enemies(also meaning the tactics they employ) and level design makes it pretty pointless. You are also extremely safe behind cover aside from one difficulty spike about mid-way through the game ("the abandoned ship"). Powers are pretty tame to me, I believe they got toned down since ME1. What sticks out in my mind are a bunch of underpowered Biotics and shield/armor killers (so, magic bullets). Squadmates lost their appeal the moment their positioning stopped mattering. Their powers operate as if Shepard used them. I remember in one of the Loyalty missions they have you face two mechs at the same time. Squad would immediately die (cause they suck). So what I did is have them stand all the way in the back the room (it was a large area), and just used their powers as if they were mine.

In any case the real reason I came back to this thread is because I'd like to know about that 20 dollar off deal!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Anyone in the UK playing the demo having a slighty hard time in voice recognition? I had to talk abit more with American accent for some words XD, wouldn't recognize my "Thanks" T.T

Oh I had to a change how I said a few words. "help" specifically. Couple of the less polite in company words too. I'm sure SEGA will release a patch to help smooth things out though, they are usually receptive to UK complaints that can be fixed.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I just wish the combat made more of those powers practical and fun.

Stealth stupid forever since every enemy instantly locks onto you as soon as you make any action

WhyMe6

As a non-fan of Gears of War and Uncharted's shooting but as a ferocious lover of Vanquish, I must say the demo surprised me - this game is so awesome! The controls are perfect, the characters are enjoyable (Cain <3), the scenery was gorgeous and varied and blasting apart robots is oh-so-satisfying.

Sega can +1 to their sales total, I'm getting this when I clear a bit more backlog!

Top Bottom