• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

I don't know man none of the males in Binary Domain run like gorillas, let alone the women
Not saying that Western animation is always the rage, but it seems Japanese action games almost always have to animate super fast and stiff. Look at MGS4 and Vanquish. Devil May Cry 4 is a good example of a Japanese dev that doesn't do this.

Shepard's run is ugly, but it's not the same style of run that I'm talking about and it isn't a pattern within Western devs like it seems to be with Japanese devs. And I'm not saying it's horrible either. It's just something that I have noticed over the years and to see that quick stiff bounce in BD just looked odd after playing games like Gears, Mass Effect and Uncharted.

I think it was said in an interview that the mo-cap actors were Western.
I doubt they used mo-cap for everything. Not that they should anyway.

Probably mostly cutscenes. Ally animations were fairly fluid, for things like settling into cover, if I remember correctly, so maybe there too.

jett

D-Member
Just got done the demo. It's pretty much your average corridor shooter with the team command stuff. I'm not 100% on how the controls feel, and the framerate works against me. Aiming and camera movement feels loose, it's just off. I'm not interested in story, so this might be a pass for me.

Strangely the second mission timed out before I could fight the boss, I've seen in videos that you fight the guy in the japanese demo...

Tomasooie

Cross-posting my masterpiece.

iq38dVewSJrUk.png

Nagoshi and co. have done it again.

soultron

Banned
I finally got the chance to play it. Loved it. It's a bit rough around the edges, but it's the most refreshing traditional TPS I've played in a while.

Really liked the teammate system, but wish they'd stop jumping into my line of fire! :p

Day 1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, really impressed by this. I love the feedback you get from enemies...never even heard of the game before this.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
- I get a headshot.

- My teammate, "Nice work Dan, keep it up!"

- R2 Response available pops up. I hit R2

- Square: Thanks!
Circle: Lets go.
Triangle: FUCK!

- Hit Triangle... "FUCK!!"

- "Man, I dont get you Dan..."

LOL what??? I laughed pretty hard. Game is awesome by the way, even more awesome with the completely random fuck bomb repsonses.

Think I've finally decided i'm going with the PS3 version

After playing both the US demo and seeing final jpan retail, the framerate is quite a bit better. It's not perfect but I can deal. It's not like the 360 is perfect either IE: Stage 2 in the demo drops just as hard in the train area, it's just the average is better than PS3

Wow, really impressed by this. I love the feedback you get from enemies...never even heard of the game before this.

I've must've played both the US demo and Jpan one like 5-7 times each. Some of the most fun enemies to shoot this gen quite honestly and I love how you get bonus points from your squad for doing so, like cutting down their legs, headshot malfunctions, etc.

putarorex

I decided to buy this today and put it in a bit to take a break from Kingdoms of Amalur. I ended up playing a good four hours or so and I am really enjoying it. I just took a break from a tough boss fight.

When I bought it here in Japan, I got a Binary Domain headset as a special extra for purchasing the game early. Since my PS3 is set to English, the game boots up in English and allows English commands. I tried it out for about 30 minutes and then turned it off and went with manual input since it misrecognized my commands pretty regularly.

There are also some significant frame rate drops every once in awhile (one time right when it happened one my teammates happened to say "the situation is deteriorating" which seemed pretty apt.)

Still the game is fun and the story has kept me interested. I love how the Ryu ga Gotoku team do faces. The localization also seems pretty damn good as well (I haven't been tempeted to play the game in Japanese yet).

I decided to buy this today and put it in a bit to take a break from Kingdoms of Amalur. I ended up playing a good four hours or so and I am really enjoying it. I just took a break from a tough boss fight.

When I bought it here in Japan, I got a Binary Domain headset as a special extra for purchasing the game early. Since my PS3 is set to English, the game boots up in English and allows English commands. I tried it out for about 30 minutes and then turned it off and went with manual input since it misrecognized my commands pretty regularly.

There are also some significant frame rate drops every once in awhile (one time right when it happened one my teammates happened to say "the situation is deteriorating" which seemed pretty apt.)

Still the game is fun and the story has kept me interested. I love how the Ryu ga Gotoku team do faces. The localization also seems pretty damn good as well (I haven't been tempeted to play the game in Japanese yet).

awesome!

who's doing the OT?

Nice, thanks for that info. Will probably pick it up second hand from Book Off then.

Controller preference and your tolerance to framerate drops. PS3 has some nasty ones.

Art/tech are more or less the same as with resolution

Are you sure about that?, the comparison video of the rain was very surprising, are you sure that the PS3 version is not full of this small details or lack of if you know what I mean.

Are you sure about that?, the comparison video of the rain was very surprising, are you sure that the PS3 version is not full of this small details or lack of if you know what I mean.

True, but that was from the japanese demo which was an older build. Still, PS3 may indeed be missing some extra effects in the end.

When it doubt, you can always check out full PS3 campaign walkthrough that was posted a little while back

mujun

Decent game. I'm having fun. Not much variety in the enemies or the weapons. Biggest gripe is the partner AI. They are constantly getting in the way which sucks because they lose trust in you if you shoot them.

tusken77

which version is the one to buy?

If you're undecided then just wait for the inevitable Digital Foundry analysis. From what I've seen and heard from Jap/US demos and PS3 full retail, as it stands...

PS3
Better AA
No screen tear
Framerate not as good

Lesser AA
Screen tear
Framerate better

Definitely PS3 for me.

If you're undecided then just wait for the inevitable Digital Foundry analysis. From what I've seen and heard from Jap/US demos and PS3 full retail, as it stands...

PS3
Better AA
No screen tear
Framerate not as good

Lesser AA
Screen tear
Framerate better

Definitely PS3 for me.

Where did you spot screen tear in the 360 demo?

PS3
Better AA
No screen tear
Framerate not as good

Lesser AA
Screen tear
Framerate better

Definitely PS3 for me.

probably better audio on ps3 as well.

Eh, expectations not met.

Just floods and floods of enemies and the same old TPS formula, was kind of hoping for more.

Kind of plays like Vanquish, just without the speed.

Could be fun though, demos are usually crap so I'm still interested in the game.

tusken77

lol, you could really spot that much screen tear?

That's practically non-existant

I know, but it still exists. It's from 6 minutes of demo gameplay. It could get worse, it could be completely gone in the retail version. I just listed the facts that we've gathered so far. Like I said, for anyone undecided, just wait for the Digital Foundry analysis.

Labadal

Finally had time to try out the demo. Good shooting, and controlling the character felt good. Boss battles were fun and giving your team mates orders worked well. It was surprisingly fun to shoot your enemies into pieces. This might seem rather hyperbolic, but I'm not surprised if this ends up being my favorite TPS this generation. I won't buy day one, but I will be getting it late March/early April, I should have less to play then. I played the PS3 demo and that is the version I will get. There might have been frame drops, but it didn't hinder my fun I had with the game.

JB1981

I like the Terminator enemies. The game isn't bad. Does it have an online MP component? I love how the pistol sounds. Sounds like Vazquez's pistol in ALIENS

RZI

I didn't even finish the demo, because I don't want to get spoiled. It was as fun as I thought it would be.

JB1981

From the screenshots, the Xbox version looks sharper, actually.

Agree. It's not a particularly good looking game anyway. I mean it's not ugly but it's also nothing special. I do like the enemy design ... Wish there was more variety in the melee and also wish you could sprint around cover rather than vaulting over it all the time

Feindflug

PS3
Better AA
No screen tear
Framerate not as good

Lesser AA
Screen tear
Framerate better

Definitely PS3 for me.

Well better AA for PS3 but loss in texture detail when compared to 360 which is definitely sharper maybe due to MSAA when compared to MLAA on the PS3.

Also there is no visible screen tearing in the 360 demo, I've played both EU & JP demos more than 20 times and the game was completely tearing free.

As of now 360 looks like a clear winner for the much better frame-rate alone IMO.

Ill Saint

Demo was great fun. I didn't notice any slowdown whatsoever on PS3. Framerate kept up with the action at all times as far as I could tell.

Tizoc

Yo, ArabGAF, seems the game is out over in our region, just got my EU copy for...180 dirhams (or equivalent). Sadly I won't be able to start it anytime soon because-
1- My PS3 is at a repair shop and I hope to get it back tomorrow
2- I've got 1 or 2 games in my backlog I wanna finish off first

Top Bottom