• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

Hoard mode. There is no co-op in the story at all. Multiplayer is a totally separate mode and includes co-op hoard, and the usual competitive modes.

Is that like Horde mode?

Or do you just race to collect a bunch of stuff and fill your house with it instead?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Can the Lancer actually really go down without jumping on top of it? If it can, it seems to last a lot longer, and by a lot longer I basically mean forever. I've never got it to work without jumping on it.

yes it can. I even took both of its arms off first then pretty much killed it.

sonicmj1

Played through the US 360 demo. I didn't explicitly notice the framerate issues on the PS3, but it definitely seemed smoother on the 360, so they probably existed.

Using the headset, the squad commands worked pretty well most of the time. And going through it again, I had a better idea of how to play, and enemies went down fast. I love the location-based damage on enemies here. It makes the combat feel really lively.

I have a hard time justifying buying this on release when I want SSX more, but I still very much want to play this game.

After playing the ME3 demo on PS3, this demo looked to be the epitome of framerate, lighting, and character animations, so it's hard for me to judge.

Really interested in the game now though, and I'm not a F/TPS fan at all.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The Framerate didnt drop so much in the US demo build. Ps3 here btw.

I cant believe how much better the shooting elements are here than Mass Effect 3.

The Framerate didnt drop so much in the US demo build. Ps3 here btw.

I cant believe how much better the shooting elements are here than Mass Effect 3.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything cause I wasn't entirely sure, but it seems a bit better ...as least as far as an average

the drops are still bad when they do happen though =/

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, I didn't want to say anything cause I wasn't entirely sure, but it seems a bit better ...as least as far as an average

the drops are still bad when they do happen though =/

At least it doesnt look like a slideshow on the 2nd part of the demo anymore so its not as horrible as before.

KageMaru

Wasn't sure what to think about this game but the demo sold me. Love how the armor and pieces fall off the robots and the VA was better than I expected.

Interested to see how the whole trust mechanic plays out, that along with the icons above the teammates reminds me of The Thing game that launched last gen. =p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I played the demo on Ss3 last night and really enjoyed it. The shooting mechanics were great and the voice communication and interaction were pretty cool. The graphics were also pretty nice and I had no problem with the framerate. Will definitely be picking this up at some point.

I'm assuming that was the full Japanese retail because I happened to only catch him playing the section from part 2 of the demo and the framerate seemed fine. If so, that is a good sign.

I watched the stream for a while earlier. Someone texted in english, asking about the framerate and another user replied that it is better than in the demo. Let's hope it's true.

Endo Punk

I chose the women for my team.

"Why you chose us? Sleaze on your mind?"
Me nervous with my headset on. I shouted "No way".
"Suuuuure..."

Love the mic integration but the gameplay is booooooring.

Dyno

I really liked it!

For me this is Japanese games done right. The shooting is good and the environments are nice. Game looks quite good and the robots display some interesting behaviour. Characters are neat and you get to upgrade them. Plus the quirky trust system looks like it will be fun.

Looks like I'm in!

Yeah I agree ME3 is boring too but BD gameplay doesn't do anything for me either. I guess I am losing interest in shooter focused games. Though I want BD to do well so the team can make Y5 that much better.

true true

BD sells me though on the great animation, awesome art/style, silly japaneseness, Yakuza team, etc.

I really dug the demo, picked the two ladies to be my squad and was accused of being sleazy, :lol. The damage stuff on the enemies was cool, the controls were good... I just wish Amazon was giving a $10 or $20 credit, I'd buy it right now if that was the case.

"Suuuuure..."

I also chose the women but only because I wanted a recon and demlotions expert not because I wanted tits.

Why they misunderstand me?

(._. )

really pleasantly surprised with this demo, very excited for the final game. That trust mechanic's pretty interesting as well. Enjoyed it more than the ME3 single player demo.....

rvy

Banned

"Suuuuure..."

I answered "Totally, you both get on your knees and give me a blowjob." Nothing happened.
Fail.

Still buying it for the French robot calling me monsieur.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I chose the British guy because I didn't find him offensive.

I chose the blonde girl because... well I just like short haired girls

Koralsky

First 20 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=D1WuyeTp2w0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fo3UwoVC5w&feature=related

This game is sex! It's a dream come true to see Yakuza Team to do project like this. I truly hope BD project is successful enough for them. I like Yakuza series, but I would love to see another AAA project from them that's different from Y.

Edit: This whole cutscene is amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iy71LT89w&t=2m39s Western Yakuza for real )))

I just saw the boxart for this game, all I can say is ":lol"

614203_189874_front.jpg

duckroll

First 20 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=D1WuyeTp2w0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fo3UwoVC5w&feature=related

This game is sex! It's a dream come true to see Yakuza Team to do project like this. I truly hope BD project is successful enough for them. I like Yakuza series, but I would love to see another AAA project from them that's different from Y.

Edit: This whole cutscene is amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iy71LT89w&t=2m39s Western Yakuza for real )))

Very, very impressed with the voice direction and general decision to use both English and Japanese in the voice track. It really makes the setting much more believable. I wish more games did this.

I just saw the boxart for this game, all I can say is ":lol"

614203_189874_front.jpg

Oh man.

I dunno, maybe there was actually a conscious decision to use a box art that would make US folks think "Bromance Shooter", and JP folks think "Yaoi Fanfic Shooter".

Edit: After reading this again, I should probably clarify that I know this isn't the JP box art :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh man.

I dunno, maybe there was actually a conscious decision to use a box art that would make US folks think "Bromance Shooter", and JP folks think "Yaoi Fanfic Shooter".

If you ask me, there isn't ENOUGH bromance in shooters.

Replicant

Oh man.

The JP version actually got a different cover:

OA3Sq.jpg

I guess it looks *slightly* better? But I'll take the Yaoi version anytime because it's more fun.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I like the US box art more. It's kinda silly. Maybe that's why I like it.

duckroll

Btw, I noticed something really odd in the English demo compared to the Japanese demo. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my headset right now. When I played the Japanese demo, the voice commands were pretty spot on and I never encountered anything off about them. But while playing the English demo, for some reason even without me saying anything into the mic or even pressing the L2 button, Dan would randomly trigger commands in battle when I had no intention to.

Here's some of the things he "said" with no voice input into the mic at all:
"Faye"
"Faye Lee"
"Fire"
"Fuck"

These were the ones which kept popping up, in no particular order. There might also have been stuff like "Shoot" and "Shit" from time to time, but mostly it was those four. The only thing they have in common is that they all start with F, which indicates there some sort of audio signal which sounds like that going through my mic even though I'm not saying anything.

It got really bad and I had to turn off voice input to continue with the second mission in the demo, since it was actually causing constant unwanted reactions from my squad. When I actually spoke into the mic, it would always work, but it's the random extra commands which appear without me saying anything which bothered me.

Is there something wrong with my mic? I tried turning the noise threshold much higher, but it still seemed to happen. Really weird.

Wanchan

I'm at the middle of chapter 5 and what a great experience this is. They really need to keep that IP, it could be a huge success in the west with the right marketing, hopefully people won't ignore this game just because it's a new IP.

Had 0 framerate problem so far on 360, got some bug on voice recognition, game stopped detecting my mic in the middle of the game, had to reboot the console to fix this, and sometimes the game seems to pick random english words from background noise from my TV so Dan talks sometimes without me saying anything, feels like japanese recognition works way better but maybe it's my shitty english accent.

Boss battles are awesome, there's always a trick to down them, Story is good so far but quite simple(it's not a RPG after all), i really love the voice acting of every character so far but Faye (she doesn't sound chinese enough...), they all sound so unique and it's always fun to listen to all those accents.

Anyway, it's a great game and will certainly close the mouths of those saying japanese can't develop games anymore, buy it guys! :eek:)

I love you Yakuza Team <3

Btw, I noticed something really odd in the English demo compared to the Japanese demo. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my headset right now. When I played the Japanese demo, the voice commands were pretty spot on and I never encountered anything off about them. But while playing the English demo, for some reason even without me saying anything into the mic or even pressing the L2 button, Dan would randomly trigger commands in battle when I had no intention to.

Here's some of the things he "said" with no voice input into the mic at all:
"Faye"
"Faye Lee"
"Fire"
"Fuck"

These were the ones which kept popping up, in no particular order. There might also have been stuff like "Shoot" and "Shit" from time to time, but mostly it was those four. The only thing they have in common is that they all start with F, which indicates there some sort of audio signal which sounds like that going through my mic even though I'm not saying anything.

It got really bad and I had to turn off voice input to continue with the second mission in the demo, since it was actually causing constant unwanted reactions from my squad. When I actually spoke into the mic, it would always work, but it's the random extra commands which appear without me saying anything which bothered me.

Is there something wrong with my mic? I tried turning the noise threshold much higher, but it still seemed to happen. Really weird.

Hmm I don't know what to tell you. I just played and didnt get a single error other than when it thought I said something else.

Playing on the 360? Maybe just popping the mic cord out and reconnecting it would help.

Top Bottom