• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120203_509790.html

lots of PS3 screens.

whats frustrating is, the 360 runs really smooth but Sega mostly
shows off the PS3 build, why?

I still think the PS3 version has less jaggies than the 360 but thats about it.

All things point to the 360 version for me, hard drive install, 1080p upscaling
and smoother frame rate.

I assume the reason is that most people who will buy this game in Japan will buy the PS3 version.

Mognet

Surprisingly fun. I just wish the replies were more than one word instead of "Yes!" "No." or
"Fuck!"
and that they were spoken out rather than just text.

That's the only problem I have with it from the demo. I don't mind the performance issues as I've played with much worse on a console game before.

Even though I'd love to support it on launch day, I'll probably buy it later down the road since I've got a lot of Vita to keep me busy.

Surprisingly fun. I just wish the replies were more than one word instead of "Yes!" "No." or
"Fuck!"
and that they were spoken out rather than just text.

That's the only problem I have with it from the demo. I don't mind the performance issues as I've played with much worse on a console game before.

The reason why the lines are in text instead of spoken is probably because you can give spoken commands yourself, so it wouldn't make sense for the character to repeat them after you. The text is there to give you feedback, letting you know if your voice command has been properly recognized. Though i guess there could've been a toggle, making the character speak when you're not using your mic.

Anyway, reposting myself from the previous page, because it was the last post and probably hasn't been seen by many of you:

I tried messing around with the voice recognition test in the menu and i don't know if it's my shitty pronunciation (not an native english speaker) or the headset, but word recognition was very spotty. I'm using Sony's original PS3 headset and at first i thought that perhaps the volume was set too low, so i put it to max, but the game still wouldn't recognize many of the lines/commands. It was comically selective about it, for instance, it would recognize some longer words/lines, but not short ones like "Fuck", "Shit" and "Damn". Even not being a native speaker, i would like to believe that i know how to pronounce those correctly. Granted, i did lower the recognition score setting, which might have contributed to it, but i only did that because it would hardly register anything in the first place. I would get a pretty high score on some words, while most of the other ones wouldn't register at all. After i lowered the setting the number of recognized commands improved dramatically, but i found it puzzling that the game still wouldn't recognize a bunch of monosyllabic words.

Did anyone else have to fiddle around with the settings, or did you achieve good results right out of the gate?

Mognet

The reason why the lines are in text instead of spoken is probably because you can give spoken commands yourself, so it wouldn't make sense for the character to repeat them after you. The text is there to give you feedback so you know if the game has properly recognized your voice command. Though i guess they could've had a toggle, where he speaks if you're not using your mic.

Anyway, reposting myself from the previous page, because it was the last post and probably hasn't been seen by many of you:

Ah okay, I didn't know there was voice recognition. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yuterald

Any Yakuza vets wondering/hoping for a cool Completion menu? I still wonder how much single player content is going to be packed into this game. I'm hoping there is a lot of reasons to replay the main story. I would LOVE for there to be some sort of Onimusha 2-like story branching chart that kept track of every character you brought with you on a particular mission so you could have an incentive to replay the game, choosing different members, hearing new dialogue, while filling out a cool chart.

Probably NOT going to be the case, lol, but I find it hard to imagine a Yakuza Studio title lacking a Completion menu with tons of side distractions/check list sorta things to do. I guess the extent of the "replay" will come from the online multiplayer and whatever those Online Challenges are supposed to be.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Any Yakuza vets wondering/hoping for a cool Completion menu? I still wonder how much single player content is going to be packed into this game. I'm hoping there is a lot of reasons to replay the main story. I would LOVE for there to be some sort of Onimusha 2-like story branching chart that kept track of every character you brought with you on a particular mission so you could have an incentive to replay the game, choosing different members, hearing new dialogue, while filling out a cool chart.

They do mention that there's a LOT of different situations and stuff to see, and that there could be 100s of hours of things to see in the full game. Different squad loadouts have different lines between each other, and with the whole "consequences" system, they really seem to be forcing originality within the confines of a central tale.

Haven't heard anything about a checklist for it all, but it would make sense, and would really help show how much stuff the game has to experience.

Leckan

Really surprised how good the gameplay feels overall but man, that framerate on the PS3 is unacceptable. I hope it's just the demo but I doubt it this close to release.

It's a shame we almost never see Japanese games outside of Capcom on the PC. This game could be amazing with 60 fps.

I was increasingly sold on the game through the media they released but actually getting a hand on it I was suprised by how much I liked the feel of the shooting.

Hopefully the final retail has a better framerate, although it wasn't game breakingly bad for me. Also I'd like to know more about the campaign length, replayability, NG+, partner mechanics all work.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shooting seems stiff on PS3. But the gameplay is pretty solid and I like the idea(s) behind it. Too bad there is no "TAKE COVER AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY AIM YOU DUMBASS" voice command. Because the AI kept. running. into. my. aim. And then getting pissy with me shooting them accidentally over it. Fucks sake. :|

Wanchan

bullshit, Kinect works just fine.

except for the one time it registered "help" as "nope" and that stupid french robot abandoned me to die

I feel pretty stupid, my kinect was muted, looks like my gf played on my console again.

Sorry about the misinformation, kinect works fine !

And to add : got the game this morning, JP version include full English to my surprise, no framerate problem on 360, and looks like they fixed the framerate on PS3 too since i'm watching a JP stream, guy isn't complaining and the game looks fluid, also it's a bit hard to really tell on a stream with that quality.

I enjoyed that a lot, though the 3rd person movement seemed a little finicky. I actually thought the gunplay was rock solid, love the enemy AI, they seem to flank, charge and otherwise not just pop their heads out at you.

atomsk

Party Pooper
And to add : got the game this morning, JP version include full English to my surprise, no framerate problem on 360, and looks like they fixed the framerate on PS3 too since i'm watching a JP stream, guy isn't complaining and the game looks fluid, also it's a bit hard to really tell on a stream with that quality.

my friend who has a JP 360 impulse ordered this today, so that's good to hear (since neither of us read/speak japanese)

Tomasooie

Is anyone using Kinect for voice commands, i feel like mine isnt
accepting what i say?

Either way I love it, day 1 purchase for me!

I'm experiencing the same thing. Does the Kinect pick up your voice in this game? I don't have a headset. I've gone to the Voice Command settings and don't see a clear option.
Will a kinect work for the voice commands or do I need a regular headset on the 360?

Regular headset, kinect doesn't work.
The game doesn't officially support Kinect, BUT there is a way to use Kinect as a headset microphone so that it will work perfectly with Kinect. I can't test the recognition now, but it does pick up sound. I doubt there will be any problems, but I'll check it out later this week.

Go to Settings on the dashboard, select Kinect, and turn the Chat Microphone functionality on. This will let you use the Kinect as a headset microphone.

The M.O.B

Demo did nothing for me, peek-a-boo shooter with waves of generic robots who also like to play peek-a-boo way too much.

Generic squad-mates who love to run in front of you.

Perhaps i'm soured because I just finished another robot filled peek-a-boo game, Vanquish.

Demo did nothing for me, peek-a-boo shooter with waves of generic robots who also like to play peek-a-boo way too much.

Generic squad-mates who love to run in front of you.

Perhaps i'm soured because I just finished another robot filled peek-a-boo game, Vanquish.

But that was actually fun, and didn't have retarded squad mates who refused to defend themselves, because I DIDN'T make a comment about one of their asses.

jgminto

Damn. Just played through the demo and I'm pretty impressed. I'd say it's got some of the best TPS controls I ever used. The speed of the player and the shooting felt really smooth. Also I've never used rolling that felt that satisfying before.

Kinect is so broken in this game. Keeps picking up random game noise as me yelling orders at the squad. They were not very happy about it.

iavi

Kinect is so broken in this game. Keeps picking up random game noise as me yelling orders at the squad. They were not very happy about it.

Yeah, the kinect doesn't work too well with the game. It picks up a lot of random noises, and non-words for me too. It's not actually using the same whatever something like ME3 is using though (Which worked perfectly). Ghetto technology.

Yeah, the kinect doesn't work too well with the game. It picks up a lot of random noises, and non-words for me too. It's not actually using the same whatever something like ME3 is using though (Which worked perfectly). Ghetto technology.

Yeah, it's just reading Kinect as a normal mic. So the game sounds are way too loud to be filtered out with that simple calibration thing they have in the options.

Edgeward

Ps3 performance aside I enjoyed the game. The movement is pretty good and shooting feels good as well. I don't like the animation when throwing a grenade. Taking a step forward to throw has fucked me over when I tried taking out the stage 1 boss.

AI is pretty stupid though, don't see a reason to use Fei when she charges in or I can't find a way to have them fire at a specific enemy like a sniper at long range. Voice commands on my ps3 headset worked about 85% which was fine. I would probably play the whole game using voice command based on my experience.

Dresden

Had mixed feelings about the demo. The gunplay feels pretty good, but the way the character moves, and turns, just feels sluggish. The camera feels awkward and I hate how it feels like Dan is taking these little mincing steps if he's not sprinting--and when you do sprint, it's an awkward charge forward.

I'm interested in the squad mechanic.

Can you destroy the Lancer multiple ways?

I LOVE blowing it's armor off with da Rocket Lawnchair
Yeah, you can play peak-a-boo and pump it full of lead until it dies, or you can hop on it and pump it full of lead until it does. I enjoy blowing off its arms and watching it stomp around aimlessly, flinging itself against the buildings in a desperate attempt to get at my squad and me. ;)

iavi

Can the Lancer actually really go down without jumping on top of it? If it can, it seems to last a lot longer, and by a lot longer I basically mean forever. I've never got it to work without jumping on it.

Shearie

This demo is pretty good but when all is said and done, it just makes me want to play Vanquish, the superior game it reminds me of.

Ricker

Ok,the first mission of the single player demo was pretty cool,the part with the big mech and what you had to do to kill it was fun but I absolutly hated the second mission,closet robots non stop that are bullet sponged to hell and I was confused on where to go and why that french guy was talking to me and the little camera icon was pointing to him but he was like behind something so I could not see him...died about 5 times,got revived everytime but to me,that part was a mess...I hope it's more missions like the first not the second...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A fun note to point out about the second stage... picking up the riot shields and making use of them yourself is REALLY good. Stand toe-to-toe with the big chaingun guy, and just pelt at his weakpoints!

I like the fact that the enemies feel just as vulnerable as you are... and that things like the shields feel just as strong for you as it is for them. I feel a unique balance with those elements in this game. Just as I can pelt at an exposed leg when they hide behind cover, so can they. Just as the items I'm hiding behind can be destroyed, leading to me being exposed, so can theirs. To me, it's a testament to the games enemey AI, because most games use cheap uneven tactics in order to make CPU's something of a challenge. This game just uses real design and strategy.

Oh, and the red "fast" guys aren't bullet sponges at all. Everything in this demo (save for the bosses) can die pretty fast, if you take it out with some strategy. The Red guys use their speed to outpace and flank you though, so blasting out their legs helps loads. The Shockwave shot on your default wep is also really nice for taking them out.

I'll admit, I had a hard time with the mission at first too, on the JP demo, and on higher difficulties. Flanked from everywhere, missing all the weapon pickups, no ability to control squadmates due to lack of english... it was a mess. But the more I got to learn the enemies, learn their ways of reacting the spawnpoints of enemies, how the teammates would react, and about my own abilities... the more I gained back the sense of control.

This is a solid game.

Level design is varied, often multi tiered, the squad mechanics are interesting, shooting is tight.

Still not something I'd buy at full price.

Top Bottom