• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

I quite liked it, but man the framerate is atrocious.

Okay, it's not atrocious. Play GTAIV or Crysis1 on PS3 if you want an atrocious framerate.
It's just good as it should be and we still haven't seen the final retail

If in doubt, just pick it up on 360 where the framerate is solid

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just received an email from amazon giving me a 20 dollar credit from buying kingdoms of amalur so now binary domain is back on my buy list. I loved the Japanese demo.

What is the deal with the multiplayer pack from gamestop? So buying the game from anywhere other than gamestop you won't be able to play online? That's pretty terrible.

neojubei

Okay fine, the actual shooting is solid but the animation is pretty poor considering the budget and this is the 3rd title in the series.

I have to agree then again I played the Japanese of binary domain about a dozen times and the mass effect 3 demo only once last night before bed, yet i prefered the gun battles in binary domain than in the ME3 demo.

Xater

Ok the second level was also fun. The french cyborg buddy is kind of funny and you had to play very differently as soon as the red robots showed up. Looks like the different kinds have all different tactics. I very much enjoyed that aspect of it. I still don't think that it will be a day 1 though, because I am expecting it to bomb and then I can pick it up for cheap ;)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Okay fine, the actual shooting is solid but the animation is pretty poor considering the budget and this is the 3rd title in the series.

I can agree with this. Especially after fighting that robot boss in ME3 demo. It was just a boring "do damage, make it flinch from damage, do more damage, watch it die" affair. In BD, you'd be able to take out each individual part, disable it's arms or legs seperately, go directly for shattering the cockpit, and see procedural damage as all of this happens.

Also, I was suprised at how precise BD's cover had to be. If you had ANY part of your body sticking out, enemies would hit it. ME's cover is just the simple "absolute cover" where being behind somthing seems to invalidate you from all hits from the front, 100%.

Lets not even mention enemey animations and behavior, lol. Like night and day.

I was left severely underwhelmed by ME's single player combat after that demo. Yet with BD, I've gone though the first stage of the JP demo multiple times, just to take down the boss in different ways (Destroying both arms, or simple hurting it, and then destroying the top core exposed on it's head.) BD's combat is just so much more enjoyable!

Airan

To think that when info first came out, it was dismissed as some poor half-attempt at cashing in on the TPS craze by a JP dev. The enemies look incredibly varied, more so than Vanquish. Definitely keeping an eye on the PS3 ver, hope they ironed out the framerate issues for release.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yup

Between this and Vanquish, US devs like Bioware should be embarressed with shit like the ME3 demo
As an overall experience, however, I'd say Mass Effect 3 is going to be absolutely incredible. There's much more to the game than shooting while games like Vanquish offer nothing but that (which is fine too).

eshwaaz

The voice acting in the English version is bad enough that it makes the dialogue exchanges hard to take seriously. Your character is yet a another actor who doesn't naturally have a deep voice forcing his voice to be deep, and the "international" accents of your teammates are painful.

Also - every character has a normal name except for the black squad member, whose name is "Big Bo." *sigh*

To think that when info first came out, it was dismissed as some poor half-attempt at cashing in on the TPS craze by a JP dev. The enemies look incredibly varied, more so than Vanquish. Definitely keeping an eye on the PS3 ver, hope they ironed out the framerate issues for release.

Yep, aside from some pockets of press/people, this is getting grossly overlooked honestly.

The voice acting in the English version is bad enough that it makes the dialogue exchanges hard to take seriously. Your character is yet a another actor who doesn't naturally have a deep voice forcing his voice to be deep, and the "international" accents of your teammates are painful.

Also - every character has a normal name except for the black squad member, whose name is "Big Bo." *sigh*

Japanese dub available as an option?
Otherwise, I'm considering the performances to be comedic ones at this point.

eshwaaz

Japanese dub available as an option?
Otherwise, I'm considering the performances to be comedic ones at this point.

I wish I could look at it that way, but it's just such a shame since they're clearly trying to do something different and meaningful with the character interaction, especially for a shooter. It could have been an interesting dynamic, but the VO is so poor that it just makes me cringe.

Demo seems to be ok, pretty good, but I can spot some flaws. Very directed and linear, cant take down the first boss any way but following instructions exactly, that sort of thing. Also seems almost too easy.

Just played the first level so far.

And yeah the english voice acting is terrible, but hey it is a Japanese game.

Edit: didn't realize there's multiple ways to take down that boss, I just followed instructions which were very specific and linear. "Shoot this, ok now shoot that, now go to the roof, now jump on his head when I say", etc.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Demo seems to be ok, pretty good, but I can spot some flaws. Very directed and linear, cant take down the first boss any way but following instructions exactly, that sort of thing. Also seems almost too easy.

Actuallly, incorrect. I've taken him down by taking out his arms and just damaging him, using the electric wire and stunning him, then jumping on back and taking him out, rocket-launching his upper body for plain damage, bombing away his legs (though I haven't been able to destroy the legs entirely, before he died). Also, using shock burst ability puts him in a BIG stagger/stun, which gives you solid time to attack the bodypart you wish.

The game gives you bonuses for the way YOU play. Such as giving extra credits for destroying parts, using "traps", or having enemey AI change by what parts they have left (such as how the boss stomps and building rams after his arms are gone.)

It's linear enough to tell a story, but there are choices within that framework, allowing you to shift the experience. How much it'll all matter is up for debate right now, but I like that element of it a lot.

I will agree that it seems easier... I found my character dying more in the JP demo, and I feel the body parts are easier to kill than before. Might just be because I've played these 2 stages so much now, though. But that's what different difficulties are for!

It seems sega always makes their demos on the easy side.
I wonder why they took out the trainining mode for the US demo?
I guess they feel were so used to playing 3rd person shooters?

Is anyone using Kinetc for voice commands, i feel like mine isnt
accepting what i say?

Either way I love it, day 1 purchase for me!

Airan

Played the JP ver for the extra 5 minute of play, for some reason it plays smoother - probably a more recent build. This 2nd run I smiled when I saw that the tough minigun robot was arriving through those flying transports (on that train station level), I sniped the transport and bam, sent that 'bot down 1000ft. Didn't need to fight it :D Hope there's more neat little touches like these.

finally gave the demo a try today. any chance for more melee options besides punching and wacking with weapons?

game is looking good. still not sure if i want it day one though.

tusken77

Played the JP ver for the extra 5 minute of play, for some reason it plays smoother - probably a more recent build. This 2nd run I smiled when I saw that the tough minigun robot was arriving through those flying transports (on that train station level), I sniped the transport and bam, sent that 'bot down 1000ft. Didn't need to fight it :D Hope there's more neat little touches like these.

A neat touch you've probably seen - shoot a robot's head off and it'll fire at nearby robots.

ironcreed

Banned
I was expecting this to at least be decent and fun for a play through, but it actually is one of best third person shooters I have played here of late. It just plays so smooth, and based on the AI, I would say there is going to be some really hairy scenarios. Anyone have an idea as to how long the campaign is going to be?

I couldn't stop laughing when that French robot showed up. It controlled well and the gunplay had weight. The dialogue choices were stupid fun.

Binary Domain definitely has my interest.

neojubei

I can agree with this. Especially after fighting that robot boss in ME3 demo. It was just a boring "do damage, make it flinch from damage, do more damage, watch it die" affair. In BD, you'd be able to take out each individual part, disable it's arms or legs seperately, go directly for shattering the cockpit, and see procedural damage as all of this happens.

Also, I was suprised at how precise BD's cover had to be. If you had ANY part of your body sticking out, enemies would hit it. ME's cover is just the simple "absolute cover" where being behind somthing seems to invalidate you from all hits from the front, 100%.

Lets not even mention enemey animations and behavior, lol. Like night and day.

I was left severely underwhelmed by ME's single player combat after that demo. Yet with BD, I've gone though the first stage of the JP demo multiple times, just to take down the boss in different ways (Destroying both arms, or simple hurting it, and then destroying the top core exposed on it's head.) BD's combat is just so much more enjoyable!

Now I have to try this.

Eurocult

Art direction grabbed me & I like my cover based TPS. The demo delivered, so I'll pick it up soon-ish. Don't know if it's a $60 game though. How deep is the story/campaign supposed to be?

iavi

I was expecting this to at least be decent and fun for a play through, but it actually is one of best third person shooters I have played here of late. It just plays so smooth, and based on the AI, I would say there is going to be some really hairy scenarios. Anyone have an idea as to how long the campaign is going to be?

It feels like the mix of Gears and Vanquish, but in that actually feeling a bit tighter than those two extremes. I was surprised, myself. Sega's quietly been on their publishing ball in regards to TPSs, lol.

ironcreed

Banned
It feels like the mix of Gears and Vanquish, but in that actually feeling a bit tighter than those two extremes. I was surprised, myself. Sega's quietly been on their publishing ball in regards to TPSs, lol.

That is exactly the comparison I gleaned from it as well, yet I came away liking it much better than either of those games. I don't know how else to put it other than it just feels like they really nailed a third person shooter sweet spot.

So in the description on XBL is says BD has 1- 6 player co-op. Is that through the main campaign or is it some kind of horde mode?

duckroll

So in the description on XBL is says BD has 1- 6 player co-op. Is that through the main campaign or is it some kind of horde mode?

Hoard mode. There is no co-op in the story at all. Multiplayer is a totally separate mode and includes co-op hoard, and the usual competitive modes.

Vercimber

It seems sega always makes their demos on the easy side.
I wonder why they took out the trainining mode for the US demo?
I guess they feel were so used to playing 3rd person shooters?

Is anyone using Kinetc for voice commands, i feel like mine isnt
accepting what i say?

Either way I love it, day 1 purchase for me!

I'm experiencing the same thing. Does the Kinect pick up your voice in this game? I don't have a headset. I've gone to the Voice Command settings and don't see a clear option.

Himself

I did not even notice any dips or choppiness on the PS3 demo. I actually thought it ran pretty good.

Really?

Just played it for the first time (PS3 version) and I thought the framerate was pretty horrendous, especially in Level 2. Is the 360 version supposed to run better?

Other than that I really enjoyed it. The squad mechanics were pretty cool and I wonder how much your choices can actually affect the outcome of any given scenario. Shooting felt pretty good. The strangeness of the characters and dialogue appeals to me way more than lame attempts at "serious" characters in other games.

I did just replay Vanquish a few weeks ago and kept wanting to Gideon-slide all over the damn place so it was tough to adjust to the "slowness".

ironcreed

Banned
Really?

Just played it for the first time (PS3 version) and I thought the framerate was pretty horrendous, especially in Level 2. Is the 360 version supposed to run better?

I have not played the demo on the 360 yet, but found that it ran fine on PS3. Whatever hitches may have been there were not significant enough for me to take notice. Then again, frame dips have to be pretty bad before it becomes any sort of issue for me. I saw nothing that made the game feel unplayable at all.

Yeah if anything, I thought that the ps3 US demo ran a little more solid then the JP version.

Still, I will probably end up getting the 360 version.

Zampano

In the demo it says that this is out on the 17th. Got my hopes up, but it's not actually due until next week, when it goes up against Syndicate. DAMNIT SEGA

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the US demo.

Didn't notice any framerate drops on my end. Nothing that'd hurt my enjoyment of the game anyways.

And I had alot of fun. Ran Charlie and Bo on the first part. Being able to disobey his order(Just yell FIRE and start shooting. Bo joins and and goes "this is how us yanks do it") and at the end have him in awe at how much ass I was kicking was an amazing first impression to the Consequence system.

I can't aim for shit on controller though. The 2nd act still kicks my ass with those red robot with high mobility. But it's pretty satisfying to get their legs out and run up on them to finish them off.

Took out the big minigun robot with a single sniper headshot on my 2nd play of it. Felt really good.

Despite being hyped for this since last year, the impressions in this thread on the PS3 version had put me on the fence. But after playing it for myself I found nothing really got in the way of my enjoyment of the demo.

Will be picking up my PS3 preorder after all.(only option anyways) And probably a PS3 mic too.

Really?

tried the ps3 version and thought it ran fine. however, i got some slight motion sickness out of it, ugh.

Top Bottom