• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

duckroll

I noticed him replying in context (sorta) on the 360 demo. PS3 demo was pretty spot on with either voice or button command.

Yeah there's nothing "in context" about Dan randomly going "Fuck!" every now and then while in cover. Lol. Definitely something wrong with my mic.

The demo was surprisingly solid. Definitely not a $60 purchase but it is something I'll check out after I get through the wave of games coming in the next 3 months.

Foxix Von

Man... I really wanted to like this demo but regardless of whether or not I was using a headset or the eye I couldn't get the voice commands to work for shit. I had basically the same problems duckroll is having however it always fails to recognize commands that consist of more than one word =/

The gameplay is great though. As others have said, especially compared to ME3 =/ really loved the AI actually.

Basch

Loved the demo. Enjoyed it way more than the Mass Effect 3 demo. Plays like Uncharted and Vanquish combined. Although I have to admit, I was sold the moment I heard the Yakuza developers were behind this. Don't know if I'll buy it at launch, but it's definitely on my list. ;)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I really enjoyed the demo but the boxart makes me think people are going to overlook it. All I can think is: Sleeper hit. Which is a shame because the shooting mechanics are quite fine, though the assault rifle sucks. Pistol headshots are a blast.

Yuterald

I'm at the middle of chapter 5 and what a great experience this is. They really need to keep that IP, it could be a huge success in the west with the right marketing, hopefully people won't ignore this game just because it's a new IP.

Had 0 framerate problem so far on 360, got some bug on voice recognition, game stopped detecting my mic in the middle of the game, had to reboot the console to fix this, and sometimes the game seems to pick random english words from background noise from my TV so Dan talks sometimes without me saying anything, feels like japanese recognition works way better but maybe it's my shitty english accent.

Boss battles are awesome, there's always a trick to down them, Story is good so far but quite simple(it's not a RPG after all), i really love the voice acting of every character so far but Faye (she doesn't sound chinese enough...), they all sound so unique and it's always fun to listen to all those accents.

Anyway, it's a great game and will certainly close the mouths of those saying japanese can't develop games anymore, buy it guys! :eek:)

I love you Yakuza Team <3

May I ask you a few questions regarding the structure of the game? This may be a spoiler to some, but my curiosity is killing me so you may want to put spoiler brackets around your answer. How exactly does the game flow? Is it mission by mission? Is there a stage/mission select where you can replay a level on any difficulty setting? Is there any sort of base where you can chill out between missions?

Also, is there any sort of Completion Menu that keeps tracks of accomplishments, things collected, objectives completed, etc. like in the Yakuza titles? I am a big fan of the Yakuza games and I absolutely LOVE how packed those games are. I know there isn't going to be any sort of city to explore or even mini games to get distracted by. I'm just wondering if there are in game challenges/accomplishments to do (like a menu that keeps tracks of all the guns purchased, upgraded, etc.)

This is my most wanted game this year and I have already given Binary GOTY status out of pure blind loyalty for Nagoshi and Yakuza Studio. I just can't take the wait anymore, lol!

I'll wait until it reaches $20 or $30 and I'll tell you why in a minute. I liked the way the enemies crumbled. I like the look and how the main character has facial expressions when reloading. Voice command works great on the PS3. I haven't tried it on 360 yet but I assume it's just as good.

Problem is, this game has bomba all over it. This type of obscure futuristic Japanese game never does well, no matter how much I love them and no matter how much they try to cater to the American audience. Another thing is, that arcady, Japanese style of animation in games is starting to look strange to me. The movement is always too stiff and too fast. The controls seemed backwards as well with square to melee and I forgot what circle did but that's not a big problem.

And last but not least, Mass Effect 3 is out days after this.

So for me, it's not an issue of is it worth full price, because it very much is so, but there are quite a few games competing for my ever shrinking time, some titles I have no choice but to wait on.

Koralsky

Another thing is, that arcady, Japanese style of animation in games is starting to look strange to me. The movement is always too stiff and too fast.

Yeah

iM7qA3JtiGJw2.gif

And the whole explanation why BD is not worth 60 bucks is just sad :/

Edit: Will someone make OT for this game?

Yeah

iM7qA3JtiGJw2.gif

And the whole explanation why BD is not worth 60 bucks is just sad :/

Edit: Will someone make OT for this game?
Ok now post BD's running. It's even faster and stiffer. Don't get mad because I'm sharing my opinion. I said the game is worth $60, there are just a few games that are more worth it to me.

Wanchan

Just finished the game, last chapter is really nice, really enjoyed the game.

May I ask you a few questions regarding the structure of the game? This may be a spoiler to some, but my curiosity is killing me so you may want to put spoiler brackets around your answer. How exactly does the game flow? Is it mission by mission? Is there a stage/mission select where you can replay a level on any difficulty setting? Is there any sort of base where you can chill out between missions?

It's exactly like Gears of War, chapter/chapter, game is straightforward, there's no base where you can chill out, there's only little stores where you can buy and upgrades stuff from time to time.

Also, is there any sort of Completion Menu that keeps tracks of accomplishments, things collected, objectives completed, etc. like in the Yakuza titles? I am a big fan of the Yakuza games and I absolutely LOVE how packed those games are. I know there isn't going to be any sort of city to explore or even mini games to get distracted by. I'm just wondering if there are in game challenges/accomplishments to do (like a menu that keeps tracks of all the guns purchased, upgraded, etc.)

Menus are pretty basic, there's a menu "DATA FILES" divided in 3 sub menus : "IRTA Reports", "Weapon Data" & "Enemy Data".

Weapon & Enemy data lists all the weapons you picked up or bought at store obviously (you can miss some since i did) and Enemies you fought.

IRTA reports list the choices you make through the campaign i think and the collectibles you find too i guess (SECUR-COM datapads), not sure since there's 70 entries and i unlocked only about 20 of them in my first playthrough, need to do a second run with different squad members to see if there's any changes through the campaign.

You unlock "chapter select" and the "no mercy" (hard++) difficulty when you complete the game.

This is my most wanted game this year and I have already given Binary GOTY status out of pure blind loyalty for Nagoshi and Yakuza Studio. I just can't take the wait anymore, lol!

It's a potential GOTY for me, but i don't want to hype the game too much, there'll always be people not satisfied and blaming you for wasting their bucks ;)

What i can safely say is if you liked the offline part of Gears of War, there's no way you'll hate Binary Domain since it feels exactly like Gears of War in many ways.

PS : sorry if my english sucks, hopefully you'll understand me lol, hope i didn't spoil anything either.

Koralsky

It's exactly like Gears of War, chapter/chapter, game is straightforward, there's no base where you can chill out, there's only little stores where you can buy and upgrades stuff from time to time.

Menus are pretty basic, there's a menu "DATA FILES" divided in 3 sub menus : "IRTA Reports", "Weapon Data" & "Enemy Data".

Weapon & Enemy data lists all the weapons you picked up or bought at store obviously (you can miss some since i did) and Enemies you fought.

IRTA reports list the choices you make through the campaign i think and the collectibles you find too i guess (SECUR-COM datapads), not sure since there's 70 entries and i unlocked only about 20 of them in my first playthrough, need to do a second run with different squad members to see if there's any changes through the campaign.

You unlock "chapter select" and the "no mercy" (hard++) difficulty when you complete the game.

It's a potential GOTY for me, but i don't want to hype the game too much, there'll always be people not satisfied and blaming you for wasting their bucks ;)

What i can safely say is if you liked the offline part of Gears of War, there's no way you'll hate Binary Domain since it feels exactly like Gears of War in many ways.

PS : sorry if my english sucks, hopefully you'll understand me lol, hope i didn't spoil anything either.

How long is the campaign, mate?

Wanchan

How long is the campaign, mate?

10-15 hours in survivor (hard), can't be more precise since there's no tracking anywhere sorry (checked my save, menus, nothing... :( ). Also, hard mode is not that hard, so i advise people to start in hard (but achievements-wise, completing Hard mode doesn't unlock Easy/Normal achievements, i don't know if there's any though).

I'll try to do a second run with a different choice of squad member to see if there's important changes or any impact in the campaign and if the offline part of the game have any replay value other than the hardest mode later, i hope there's many changes seeing how the story goes...

Suzuki Yu

10-15 hours in survivor (hard), can't be more precise since there's no tracking anywhere sorry (checked my save, menus, nothing... :( ). Also, hard mode is not that hard, so i advise people to start in hard (but achievements-wise, completing Hard mode doesn't unlock Easy/Normal achievements, i don't know if there's any though).

I'll try to do a second run with a different choice of squad member to see if there's important changes or any impact in the campaign and if the offline part of the game have any replay value other than the hardest mode later, i hope there's many changes seeing how the story goes...
and how is the 'no mercy' difficulty?
i really want to know how difficult it is and in what exactly

Thanks ..

iavi

Thanks for these impressions. If you could, how did the squad/social mechanic play out? Did it really keep set the game apart , or did it become another gimmick as time went on?

Whoa, just got word that the game were released here today. Might have to pick it up later today then.

Haven't had the chance of playing the demo yet though, but my Eurogamer Expo session last year totally convinced me.

ksdixon

Oh my god, Oh My God, OH MY GOD! Binary Domain is 9000 times easier for me to control than GEARS or Vanquish is!

Which is a big issue for me and gun-games, given my bad eyesight. Too many times in GEARS/Vanquish I find myself standing up out of cover when I want to vault over the top of it. Or jump-dive rolling to the side out of cover when all I wanted to do was stand up out of cover and run around the side. When you're getting ripped to shreads by bullets, it makes me not like these types of games very much. I perfer Vanquish to GEARS, but I still suck at Vanquish playing, lol.

In Binary Domain there's not too much going-on for me to deal with, which is usually the case. I have the time to plan some strategy, pick off a robot's legs if I want to so that he begins crawling towards me or shooting me from a lying-down position, or maybe their head so they get confused and shoot their teamates. The self healing mechanic if you do get knocked on your ass is great and allows you to get back into the action. I assume if you keep getting knocked-over you run out of self-ressusetations, and that is why the A.I. asked me if I wanted them to pick me up. Great for in the heat of battle.

The in-game communication with the A.I. team mates is easy enough (LB brings up a multi-choice list), but I imagine this would be even better with a PS3 headset or a 360 Kinnect as the game can have voice commands as well.

Just completed Stage 1 on the demo. Played on "Normal" Aim Assist rather than "Beginner" Aim Assist. And on "Rust 'Em Up" difficulty (Normal), rather than "Cakewalk" (Beginner). Compare that to Vanquish where I'm on "Auto (Aim) Casual", and still can't get past the first level/demo level... I am so glad that this game is the game I hope it would be, and not a chore to play like Vanquish is. Judging from this one level already know that I want this game and it'll probably end up as an all time favorites.

For anyone who's read this and thought the game is too easy, don't worry. There were two more higher difficulty levels (Survivor and No Mercy), and the option to play with No Aim Assist at all. This... this is going to be my new Left 4 Dead, a game I will reccomend to everyone I know.

theDeeDubs

Because the framerate / IQ is an absolute trainwreck on the PS3 (big one here). The game seems like a pretty third rate shooter judging from the demo. No PC version for some reason (damnit, Japan).

The retail version seems fine based on the streams we've seen.

Feindflug

10-15hrs on Hard? wow, that's great! thanks for the impressions, loved the demo and the game is definitely a day one purchase for me. :)

Yuterald

Wanchan: Thanks for all the info! At least now I can lower my expectations a bit when it comes to the amount of content. The IRTA Report sounds interesting though. Almost sounds like that Onimusha 2-like story chart I was talking about. Something that keeps track of the paths/decisions you make. Looks like there may be some sort of incentive to replay the campaign other than picking up campaign collectables you missed (and just for fun, of course).

Well, I'm beyond hyped for this! About 2 more weeks!

Amazon isn't even offering release date shipping for the game, unless that changes sometime next week. Otherwise I'm considering cancelling my order with them and actually going to a gamestop so I'll have it Day 1.

TheChits

This game has been on my radar for a long time, but man, after playing that demo I"m more excited than ever. On 360, I didn't have any issues with voice commands, and the shooting and controls felt really solid to me. Definitely day 1 for me.

Wanchan

and how is the 'no mercy' difficulty?
i really want to know how difficult it is and in what exactly

Thanks ..

Played 1 hour in "No Mercy", looks as hard as the highest lvl of difficulty of Mass Effect.

But trust me, you don't want the game to be insanely hard either, you run short really fast on medikits for yourself and if an ally is incapacitated and you don't have a medikit to help him, it's Mission Failed if he dies, and it happens a lot....can be really frustrating having to redo parts you did just because your ally rushed and died like a stupid ass.

Thanks for these impressions. If you could, how did the squad/social mechanic play out? Did it really keep set the game apart , or did it become another gimmick as time went on?

Seems gimmicky, the squad member i picked often in my team liked me in the end, and the one i didn't picked were "normal", nobody didn't like me in the end even tough i shoot them many times and some i didn't even bother picking them once in the team. But again, maybe "trust level" is changing part of the story and you have to do more runs to notice this, can't say more without spoiling but the characters trusting me were at the center of the story, don't know if that changes or if it was pure lucky choice.

What are they saying about it?

You shouldn't really pay attention to amazon reviews. Most of the time people will post when they're unhappy, not when they're happy. Anyway here are the main issues they didn't like :

- Voice recognition works bad/doesn't seems useful
- Crazy/B-Movie Story (Gaijin save the world, Japan is evil, no wonder...)
- Game is too easy in "normal"
- Yakuza devs focusing on unoriginal "western" game rather than continuing Yakuza story
- Game is too short (less than 8hours in "normal")
- It's a sub-<insert western Third person shooter game>
- Lack of minigames, things to do outside the story

So basically, low ratings are people that regret Yakuza Team choice of trying something else...also there's more people enjoying the game than hating it....http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-rev...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

10-15hrs on Hard? wow, that's great! thanks for the impressions, loved the demo and the game is definitely a day one purchase for me. :)

It's closer to 10 than 15 hours tho.

duckroll

How was the last level of the game and the ending? I don't want spoilers, but basically I loved the ending of Yakuza 1, and the final battle and everything leading to it was awesome. Yakuza 2 had way too many plot twists towards the end, but the final battle was still really solid, but I found the ending a bit meh. Kenzan had a terrible final stage/boss, but the actual ending was great. How does Binary Domain stack up, since it's from the same director?

mujun

Picked up the full version and put about 30 minutes in. Enjoyed what I played of it, fun to shoot different parts of the robots and have them react in different ways. Looks decent and controls well. Not sure about the story but the dialog is pretty damned bad/cheezy. Hopefully the off hand comments won't grate, seems that the same ones get repeated quite a lot.

Looking forward to digging in deeper.

Wanchan

How was the last level of the game and the ending? I don't want spoilers, but basically I loved the ending of Yakuza 1, and the final battle and everything leading to it was awesome. Yakuza 2 had way too many plot twists towards the end, but the final battle was still really solid, but I found the ending a bit meh. Kenzan had a terrible final stage/boss, but the actual ending was great. How does Binary Domain stack up, since it's from the same director?

I enjoyed the story but seeing the japanese boards, it's the point dividing people a lot, many dislike the story for being "B-Movie rate", many enjoyed it for being original/refreshing.

Don't want to say the story is good or bad since it will always be a personal feeling but for a TPS, i found the story really decent, not "Yakuza level" since Yakuza revolves more around the story and is way more complicated, but still decent.

:) . as in, maybe the best ending this gen...

duckroll

I enjoyed the story but seeing the japanese boards, it's the point dividing people a lot, many dislike the story for being "B-Movie rate", many enjoyed it for being original/refreshing.

Don't want to say the story is good or bad since it will always be a personal feeling but for a TPS, i found the story really decent, not "Yakuza level" since Yakuza revolves more around the story and is way more complicated, but still decent.

I'm not asking about the general story though, but how it concludes. I feel the high point of the Yakuza team is in being able to build up to a very exciting climax where the final moments of the game feel like the entire game has left up to it bit by bit, and the ending leaves you something to think about. Is there anything like that in Binary Domain? Because one thing that most western shooters tend to fail at is ending a game well. Valve is one of the few who manage to do it really well.

Wanchan

I'm not asking about the general story though, but how it concludes. I feel the high point of the Yakuza team is in being able to build up to a very exciting climax where the final moments of the game feel like the entire game has left up to it bit by bit, and the ending leaves you something to think about. Is there anything like that in Binary Domain? Because one thing that most western shooters tend to fail at is ending a game well. Valve is one of the few who manage to do it really well.

There is, but is it good? will depends mainly if you enjoy characters relationship, can't say more without spoiling.

I know many on GAF are picky and i don't want to say "story is good, ending is awesome, go for it :)" and you'll end disappointing, plus i'm really bad at judging ending since i often enjoyed them however bad they are, haha.

Sorry can't help more than that, I guess you'll have to wait more people opinions on that, sorry :(

Also remember to wait after the "end credits" (or whatever it's called).

duckroll

There is, but is it good? will depends mainly if you enjoy characters relationship, can't say more without spoiling.

I know many on GAF are picky and i don't want to say "story is good, ending is awesome, go for it :)" and you'll end disappointing, plus i'm really bad at judging ending since i often enjoyed them however bad they are, haha.

Sorry can't help more than that, I guess you'll have to wait more people opinions on that, sorry :(

Also remember to wait after the "end credits" (or whatever it's called).

Cool, thanks for the honest impressions. Definitely appreciate it. :)

Just wanted to say Dan's VA has REALLY grown on me

It's got an awesome late 80s/90s Anime charm to it.

speaking of which, can anyone else figure out the VAs? I figure Dan is Travis Willingham, while I can only guess Faye is Laura Bailey and Charlie is Greg Ellis, but I can't figure out who Rachel, Bo, and Cain (the french robot) are.

Top Bottom