• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite Game Informer Covers

Gameinformer's 3 Bioshock covers. Is your mind blown?
infinitespreadv1.jpg

infinitespreadv2.jpg

infinitespreadv3.jpg

// Mod Edit //

Game Informer said:
Irrational Games recently revealed BioShock Infinite, but what you already know about the game is just the beginning. Our exclusive cover story is packed with new info about Columbia, protagonist Booker DeWitt, his companion Elizabeth, and the monstrous titan that rules the sky above the city.

Our BioShock Infinite covers, which were just unveiled onstage at PAX, are a significant departure from our normal look. Instead of using our traditional layout, we worked with artists at Irraional Games to produce covers that showcase what a video game magazine might have looked like on Columbia in the early 1900s. With illustrations inspired by period publications like The Saturday Evening Post, all three covers also feature unique advertisement for products a citizen of Columbia might need.

You can also look forward to several other cool features, including four pages on Call of Duty: Black Ops' multiplayer, an analysis of the gaming industry's upcoming Supreme Court battle, and in-depth impressions of Move and Kinect. This issue also features previews of Fallout: New Vegas and Dead Space 2, along with a review of a little game called Halo: Reach.

Click the images below to see high-res versions of all three covers below, and come back throughout the month to visit our BioShock Infinite hub, where you'll find even more exclusive details on Irrational Games' upcoming project.
Source: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/09/04/October9981-Cover9981-Revealed9918.aspx

// End Mod Edit //

Zeliard

Some interesting imagery there.

infinitespreadv1.jpg

I think I recall some previews pointing out some huge (flying?) character making the rounds in Columbia, so I'm guessing that thing is it.

KillerAJD

As long as I don't get the first cover, I'll be happy. The drop shadow on the Game Informer text looks bad on the first cover. As for the game/images, the concept stuff looks awesome. Not a big fan of the first two Bioshocks, but this one might pull me in.

mjc

Say one thing about GI since the makeover, say their covers have been out-fucking-standing. These ones especially.

Irish

Wow, those look absolutely fantastic.

I kinda hope Irrational takes some pointers from 2K Marin regarding gameplay. I mean, Bioshock nailed the atmosphere, but I definitely thought the combat and enemy variation was a little weak. Still, everything thing I've seen from this has looked great and draws me in to the world of Columbia.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Cant wait to play this, lets all get hyped up now, its only 2 YEARS AWAY.

Seriously.
These covers are gorgeous, but they should have held off on releasing them until late next year. :lol

Salsa

Krev said:
These covers are gorgeous, but they should have held off on releasing them until late next year. :lol

I just cant believe theyre gonna waste money in advertising a game so far away from its release date. Cant wait to see what theyre gonna feed us during the whole next year.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
I just cant believe theyre gonna waste money in advertising a game so far away from its release date. Cant wait to see what theyre gonna feed us during the whole next year.
It doesn't seem like smart marketing to me. Irrational probably felt that they needed to announce their game before it leaked out, but they should at least have kept a low profile until a year or so before release. I don't think the fact that it releases in 2012 (!!!) has sunk in for many. I can see a lot of people being burnt out on this game before it hits shelves.

SalsaShark said:
Episodes, would work for me.

Salsa

Krev said:
It doesn't seem like smart marketing to me. Irrational probably felt that they needed to announce their game before it leaked out, but they should at least have kept a low profile until a year or so before release. I don't think the fact that it releases in 2012 (!!!) has sunk in for many. I can see a lot of people being burnt out on this game before it hits shelves.

Yeah, exactly.

Krev said:
It doesn't seem like smart marketing to me. Irrational probably felt that they needed to announce it before it leaked out
The way Irrational has been rebranded, I think they want to take control of how the game is presented. Perhaps they're pulling a DICE, getting the Mirror's Edge cover really early while the game is just a prototype.. use it as a way to get hype and attract talented staff to the project?

I would say all the Irrational Insider stuff online is as much for the fans as it is prospective employees.

Salsa

Visualante said:
The way Irrational has been rebranded, I think they want to take control of how the game is presented. Perhaps they're pulling a DICE, getting the Mirror's Edge cover really early while the game is just a prototype.. use it as a way to get hype and attract talented staff to the project?

With Gameinformer covers and Gameplay at PAX ?

These covers are great and all, but why are we even hearing about this game now when it's not going to be released until approximately 37,596 forfuckingevers from now? If the game's not out until 2012, large swathes of what they reveal in this magazine probably won't even be true by the time it's actually out.

Jerk

Banned
charlequin said:
These covers are great and all, but why are we even hearing about this game now when it's not going to be released until approximately 37,596 forfuckingevers from now? If the game's not out until 2012, large swathes of what they reveal in this magazine probably won't even be true by the time it's actually out.

I personally think that there may be some exaggeration with the game's release date.

I do not know why they would do something like that (or even if it makes any sense).

kenta

Has no PEINS
The text says the covers were revealed during their PAX session... is that the same session where they showed actual gameplay? Do we have any impressions of the gameplay from people that were there?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jerk 2.0 said:
I personally think that there may be some exaggeration with the game's release date.

I do not know why they would do something like that (or even if it makes any sense).
Normally Take-Two announces their games relatively close to launch then delays them forever, so they're announced for about the same amount of time as this.

This time, they're just announcing a date far enough out that they have a chance of hitting it.

FrankT

Love all the crying about the marketing build up and years off. Yea it sucks, but Bioshock had a lengthy build up as well. Right at 3 years maybe. Every time they showed the game I had to see more and more. Drip, drip, drip, right on in. It delivered 110%. This is Irrational. Believe. 4-5 years of development for this I hope makes for an incredible experience like Bioshock, and I’ll take the drip (just keep the videos coming please).

Jerk

Banned
Nirolak said:
Normally Take-Two announces their games relatively close to launch then delays them forever, so they're announced for about the same amount of time as this.

This time, they're just announcing a date far enough out that they have a chance of hitting it.

This is sort of the conclusion I came to, but it makes so little sense.

Perhaps this has to do with the business side of things? How much do they have announced currently? Could this be a bid to reassure investors?

stupei

God, this looks beautiful.

And yeah, they were hyping up original Bioshock way before its release too, it's just that now they have a much larger and more receptive audience.

Do people really think that by advertising it now no one will remember a Bioshock game that looks this awesome is coming out once it's actually close? I mean other than the fact that it's basically slowly torturing us with the wait, I don't think it's really going to be a problem. They won't run out of things to show. They haven't shown gameplay at ALL and if you look at the early gameplay footage of original Bioshock compared to what released, they went through huge amounts of changes. I'm sure that even if they show us all something now they'll have something almost entirely new to show us this time next year.

stupei said:
Do people really think that by advertising it now no one will remember a Bioshock game that looks this awesome is coming out once it's actually close?

No, we think that basically any details they give now are going to prove inaccurate by the time the game comes out, which leads one to wonder what the point is in providing them in the first place.

nickrempe

Neo Member
All of these look amazing. I think I will run in and subscribe tomorrow so I can still get my hands on the Batman: AC cover too. This is great work, I hope they keep the excellent covers coming all year. Then again, I am getting excited about a cover.

Salsa

charlequin said:
No, we think that basically any details they give now are going to prove inaccurate by the time the game comes out, which leads one to wonder what the point is in providing them in the first place.

ding ding ding

Luigi87

I very much like these covers.

A reminder that I'll need the inevitable artbook that will release in two years for the game.

soldat7 said:
Oh wow. I hope they're able to reflect this art style in the actual game.

It does. Hopefully there will be video coming out of PAX, because the game looks so much better in motion then in screenshots. It moves so incredibly well, and the art and way the city is realized is amazing to look at.

Top Bottom