• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

ignata

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything...did anybody else have Elizabeth's brooch/pin/whatever change at the end of the game? I chose the bird for her, and during the second time they were in the boat together, suddenly she was wearing the cage. I replayed the ending a third time and made sure I got a good look at the brooch/pin/whatever in each scene, and once again, only during the second boat ride was she wearing the cage. Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm thinking it's a glitch, but with this game, anything is possible. Playing on the PC version, btw.

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything...did anybody else have Elizabeth's brooch/pin/whatever change at the end of the game? I chose the bird for her, and during the second time they were in the boat together, suddenly she was wearing the cage. I replayed the ending a third time and made sure I got a good look at the brooch/pin/whatever in each scene, and once again, only during the second boat ride was she wearing the cage. Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm thinking it's a glitch, but with this game, anything is possible. Playing on the PC version, btw.
Huh... I recognized that Elizabeth lost the brooch all together during the end when you have the multiple Elizabeths. I also picked the bird at the beginning of the game but didn't notice if it changed to a cage during the second boat trip. I'll have to check...

MNC

Fucking glad they didn't have handymen because fuck I hardly used Undertow.

Definitely gonna use vigors mainly for the new playthrough.

PaulloDEC

I've just noticed that after finishing off Slate in the Hall of Heroes, the pistol you use to kill him becomes flickery, like a tear, once you've dropped it:

T1n.jpg

Do we know if there's a reason for that?

Jigolo

Well first page of this thread explained a shit load. Thanks a lot guys. My original theory was multiverse, and I guess I was pretty spot on with that theory.

A colleague of mine was disappointed in the game and compared the ending to that of Mass Effect 3.

I just shook my head and walked away. No point in arguing that.

Trigger

A colleague of mine was disappointed in the game and compared the ending to that of Mass Effect 3.

I just shook my head and walked away. No point in arguing that.

Infinite is what ME3's head writer wanted but failed to accomplish: a story that was satisfying but full of room for speculation.

Yeah, I certainly imagine 1999 mode is a totally different beast, but it seems like some people are having huge issues even in lower difficulties, which seems really weird to me, I guess.

Honestly, I had more difficulty with the ghost fights on hard mode than 1999 mode. If you enter the cemetary (and subsequent areas) with the correct equipment, you won't have a problem. But if you enter low on ammunition, without salts, the wrong gear or with guns that aren't the carbine, sniper or hand cannon, you can be in considerable trouble. This increases drastically if you focused on upgrading all of the Vigors and ignored the weapon upgrades but, by that point, hadn't upgraded Charge. It becomes an endurance test as, on hard mode and 1999 mode, she has an extremely large amount of health and there are a huge amount of minions while dealing a large amount of damage.

Carbine/Sniper/Hand cannon with upgrades and/or an upgraded charge with brittle skin (and fire/possess/shock gear) make the fight very easy, provided you enter with salt/ammo. If you don't enter with either of those (or you don't know how effective Charge is), or with almost no ammo, then prepare for a ridiculously frustrating test of endurance (this becomes infinitely worse if you make the mistake of entering with a pistol low on ammo and the crank gun with 30 bullets).

The last fight can actually be extremely simple in the same way. If you have the right items, you can finish it with almost no challenge. An upgraded sniper, carbine and hand cannon severely help you in combat, upgraded crows allows you to easily manage the human enemies, upgraded "return to sender" allows you to stand in front of the blue thing (?) and absorb the bullets and throw them at people, Winter Shield allows you to jump on and off the rails constantly to have infinite life forever, Overkill assists in crowd control, the melee possession hat allows once more assists in crowd control (it saves salt too since you don't need to possess people normally) and brittle skin makes skyline strikes/normal melee followed by weapons do even more damage (this can be exploited even more with Wintershield). As a result, you can finish the entire fight with minimal challenge and minimal health lost. The 'problem' is that this is all gear/item/upgrade dependant. If you enter with different gear, or use different combinations, you can make the fight much more difficult.

EDIT:
I'll buy random dead corpse for a $1. But even then why would they need to scare him?

EDIT: NM. You're talking about Comstock scaring Booker not the Luteces.
Nope, the Luteces need to scare Booker, hence the body and notes because otherwise Booker may not be adaquetly frightened and could flee to Paris with Elizabeth (he even mentions that they aren't the sort of people you want to cross). Comstock gave a note ordering the lighthouse keeper to murder Booker (visible on the map) so the lighthouse keeper became a problem. Murdering him isn't a problem to the male Lutece because he wishes to reset the timeline (and thus he'll have never been killed in the first place) and the female Lutece wouldn't care either way (since her nihilistic beliefs are repeatedly mentioned and are a significant part of her character).

RealMeat

Banned
I've just noticed that after finishing off Slate in the Hall of Heroes, the pistol you use to kill him becomes flickery, like a tear, once you've dropped it:

Do we know if there's a reason for that?

Could be because that choice is a variable. It one universe you kill him, in another you don't.

Arucardo

Finished this last night, so awesome. Weirdly enough I realised that you're Comstock the moment I walked in to his room on the airship. I took my time with the game and I'm pretty sure I found almost all of the voice recordings so understanding the whole ending wasn't so though, for me at least.

Great OP btw, helped me confirm most of the stuff I got from the ending. Also, this got a well deserved nod in PC Gamer's ending discussion article ;) ( http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/04/bioshock-infinite-ending-explained/ )

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized: When you drink that poison to get the magnetic shield, Robert Lutece says that he's surprised that he didn't die.

Imagine just how many times Booker died for drinking that in other dimensions!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Quick question so something can be clear.

Did Comstock age because of interacting with tears, or because of interacting with the technology related to the tears?

Trigger

Quick question so something can be clear.

Did Comstock age because of interacting with tears, or because of interacting with the technology related to the tears?

The tech. It also caused problems for the workers. The tears themselves are harmless.

Assuming you don't lose part of your body. :p

MNC

The ending is full of beautiful scenes, I can't stop thinking about this game and how much I loved the characters, the story and setting. I have a big backlog but I'm itching to play it again.
In the same boat. I just want to do stuff in the world. Game is so much better paced than bioshock 1.

Infinite is what ME3's head writer wanted but failed to accomplish: a story that was satisfying but full of room for speculation.

Mass Effect 3 ending Spoilers:

I actually think that ME3 may have been trying to play with the same concept of choice, or the lack thereof, with the ending.

Despite the hundreds of different choices players would make during the Mass Effect Trilogy the final choices are limited due to the massive and overwhelming odds that you are faced with. You can make a ton of right decisions and do so much to prepare yet when you're faced with an overwhelming force on the scale of what you encounter in Mass Effect 3, your choices are always going to be ultimately limited.

I know, I'm making the ME3 ending sound a lot more clever than it actually was but I think it works when looked at in a very different light. The execution was poor however.

Zeliard

Planescape: Torment spoilers of a sort:

You know what this game's story is actually quite similar to? The Nameless One's arc in Planescape: Torment.
Consider it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Mass Effect 3 Spoilers:

Hey dude, just use spoiler tags. I get that it's a spoiler thread, but it's a thread for Bioshock, not Mass Effect.

In case you don't know, the tag is
[/ spoiler] but without the space after the "/"

MrOddbird

Neo Member
This game was really beatiful! During the first two hours I spent a huge chunk on investigating my surroundings!

I enjoyed this game far more than the first two games. I really disliked the combat in the first game, but this was one really nice and the experience was certainly a lengthy one.

However, I thought that the ending (while clever) was still a bit abrupt.
It felt little rushed; a quick change to black and the credits start to roll.

Eh, I still think it was pretty clever.

Nevertheless this is certainly a fantastic game. I especially liked Fink's industry.

Perhaps I shall give it another try in the not so distant future.

Hey dude, just use spoiler tags. I get that it's a spoiler thread, but it's a thread for Bioshock, not Mass Effect.

In case you don't know, the tag is
[/ spoiler] but without the space after the "/"
Wasn't sure whether we needed to bother tagging ME3 spoilers. I did it just for you though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wasn't sure whether we needed to bother tagging ME3 spoilers. I did it just for you though.

I mentioned because I myself haven't played it yet, and I'm sure I'm not the only person. It's usually better to err on the side of caution, because it's easy to just mouse over spoilers if you're interested, but it's incredibly difficult to unremember something you accidentally read :p

LiK

It's a good idea to spoiler tag other games or movies/books people have mentioned. I know people wanna do comparisons but it sorta spoils the other media.

Zeliard

Better not be. I planned on playing it this summer.

Believe me, Torment takes some bizarre and unpredictable trajectories and is not the sort of story that can be remotely summed up through some vague comparison. But I'll edit the post and tag it.

Sblargh

Banned
Believe me, Torment takes some bizarre and unpredictable trajectories and is not the sort of story that can be remotely summed up through some vague comparison. But I'll edit the post and tag it.

Is it dated gameplay-wise? I plan on playing it someday, but I think I blew my quota on dated games with Deus EX.

Just finished last night. Wow. That was some kind of mindfuckery. The last quarter of the game is a giant whirlwind of information, kind of wish it was paced a little better (although its very hard to complain about).

Story was amazing, really enjoyed seeing Liz interact with the enviornment.

Combat was decent enough. I require tears and skylines in every game now...really takes things to another level. Only combat complaint I have is near the end where foot soldiers basically become walking tanks. Seriously took about 10 RPG shots to take down one dude, bit much.

LOVE the OP, really helped explain the gaps I had in the story (god damn Voxphones cutting off).

Fantastic game. Need to let it simmer before going for another play through. This definitely made me want to buy the season pass though.

One complaint about the ending : I really wish Liz and Booker would've figured everything out at the same time, as apposed to Liz being a time lord and telling Booker whats up. Lost a little bit of character interaction imo.

Just went back and checked in my game (on PC) and Elizabeth's pin stayed the same (bird) all throughout the ending. It just disappears after you go through that last lighthouse and you get the multiple Elizabeths.

Great OP btw, helped me confirm most of the stuff I got from the ending. Also, this got a well deserved nod in PC Gamer's ending discussion article ;) ( http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/04/bioshock-infinite-ending-explained/ )

I think that article gets to one of my issues with the ending:
...and Anna becomes practically omnipotent, which I didn’t like at all. She figures it all out so she can explain it to the player, but I’d have preferred to keep discovering the truth with her. It would have been great to see both Anna and Booker react to the revelation that Booker is her father. That would have been a character-driven scene, instead of a quantum physics-driven scene, which the entire ending is.

One complaint about the ending : I really wish Liz and Booker would've figured everything out at the same time, as apposed to Liz being a time lord and telling Booker whats up. Lost a little bit of character interaction imo.
Yeah, just like the PC Gamer article mentioned, the ending kind of fell a little flat for me since I already felt like I had put the pieces together regarding Booker=Comstock and Elizabeth=Anna, so the cold, matter of fact way Elizabeth basically breaks the fourth wall and is just matter of fact explaining everything wasn't very engaging. It was interesting but it wasn't really making me feel anything. Especially when you build such an emotional bond with her character throughout the game, it kind of falls apart at the end when Elizabeth becomes a walking codex.

Something a little more emotionally driven and character driven as opposed to plot mechanics driven would have likely resonated a little more for me, I think.

Enco

Totally agree.

That was a little annoying.

Levito

Banned
Honestly don't see how the songbird call in the original Bioshock could be intentional. In Ken Levine's reddit AMA I asked him:

In your recent interview with Rev3 games you stated that Comstock was a far more difficult person to write than Andrew Ryan, because you are not a religious person while Comstock is. I'm wondering, when you and the rest of Irrational first started working on Bioshock Infinite, was the goal of Comstock to be a character that would be both similar to and yet the complete opposite of Andrew Ryan?

In response he said:

Honestly, in the beginning of Infinite, the conflict was between a group of technologists and a group ofLuddites, so Comstock wasn't even a glint in our eyes.
It really wasn't until I finished writing him till I realized how similar he was in many ways to Ryan, while being his (in many ways) polar opposite. Go figure.

Link

So the story was completely different, sure the songbird could've still been there, but... It just seems like such a stretch.

Zeliard

Is it dated gameplay-wise? I plan on playing it someday, but I think I blew my quota on dated games with Deus EX.

If by gameplay you mean combat, there's much less of a focus on it than in most other RPGs. The gameplay in Torment is really centered around conversation.

If enjoyable dialogue between well-drawn characters in a highly distinctive and original setting coupled with moody music, detailed 2D art, and a fantastic plot-line strike you as enticing, go for it :)

Could be because that choice is a variable. It one universe you kill him, in another you don't.

I just noticed that on my second play through and thought the same thing. You can kill or not kill slate the variable being using his pistol or not. Hence the tear'ed weapon.

Pretty cool

What does robert lutece mean "he's lived it" after "the brain adapts"?

Robert Lutece is from another universe (heavily implied he crossed over first the same time as Anna via the Voxophone dates) and as a result, he knows the problems associated with crossing over (the cognitive dissonance one suffers after crossing over).

EDIT: Beaten by LiK.

MNC

he went through the tear and experienced all the same things that Booker experienced with his memories etc.
Ah, yes. Rosalind never tear jumped, did she? Robert did together with Anna, Comstock did atleast twice (once to get to robert and get anna, and back to rosalind, among all kinds of tear jumps to get the prophecies), since the boat trip and columbia is comstock/rosalinds world.

Honestly don't see how the songbird call in the original Bioshock could be intentional. In Ken Levine's reddit AMA I asked him:

In response he said:

Link

So the story was completely different, sure the songbird could've still been there, but... It just seems like such a stretch.

hell, they could have even taken some sounds from Bio1 and use it to make the noise for Songbird just to fuck with people. It is something, that's for sure

Guri

The Luteces must be hating all of us going into the 1999 Mode and having to search for many Bookers that didn't die along the way.

FStop7

Banned
Sure, but that's like saying I should feel bad when Comstock died because it was kind of her only father figure. Elizabeth did mention that she felt like the Songbird resembled her as both had little choice concerning their fate, but that thing was out of control.

And yeah, it was her only friend since it was practically the only contact with a (semi?) sentient being she ever had before being broken out by Booker.

I did feel kind of bad for Comstock / DeWitt because he was a man who was ruled by his bad decisions... over and over and over.

LiK

if one of the DLCs involved playing as Robert Lutece experiencing the tears for the first time, it would be magical. just make it an adventure game.

if one of the DLCs involved playing as Robert Lutece experiencing the tears for the first time, it would be magical. just make it an adventure game.

Oh yes, I want this. I quite like the idea of having DLC that features absolutely no combat. It would suit the world incredibly well.

Top Bottom