• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Guri

Could someone explain to me in details the "doesn't row" thing? I saw in the OP, but still don't understand. What's the meaning of "He doesn't *row*?" "No, he *doesn't* row!" "Ah, I see what you mean"

Just beat it on hard. 18.6 hours, 945 screenshots :lol

Great stuff. After 999 I was waiting for another game to have this kind of well-written, exciting, movie-level mindfuckery, and Infinite delivered.

Going online to see threads with time charts written out and now weird slowed-down messages being found in the game... I live for this kind of shit.

pargonta

Could someone explain to me in details the "doesn't row" thing? I saw in the OP, but still don't understand. What's the meaning of "He doesn't *row*?" "No, he *doesn't* row!" "Ah, I see what you mean"

well, the focus shifts from the act of rowing in one reading, to the actions of booker in the next. he doesn't row, as in, no bookers ever row in that situation.

FluxWaveZ

It means no matter which universe the boat scene takes place in, taking into account all sorts of variables, Booker never rows. It's a constant, like the coin flip always landing on heads.

Trigger

That's up to interpretation. It could be a literal reference to the fact that Booker doesn't row himself up to the lighthouse because they always do it. However I always assumed it was a more philosophical statement. Booker doesn't row in the sense that he doesn't have any control over his fate. He's always being directed by someone.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
So... has anyone really started digging into the game's files yet? You know, for scraps of unused content.

Can you imagine? Leftover voice samples from the original story!

Is 999's story actually good or is it just convoluted and long-winded to the point where it feels deep/complex?

While playing I started to become worried about the latter but it ultimately wraps back around to the former, in wildly satisfying fashion. I was wary of the hype but it's great.

Jharp

Perhaps I'm overreacting a bit because this game in general is very sloggy. I love moments like in the basement of the bar in Shanty Town, when Booker picks up the guitar and Elizabeth sings to the child hiding under the stairs. But man, the combat segments are far too drawn out and just super one-note, even for a game with all them powers and skylines and such.

I'm also playing through MH3U, so it's hard not to compare the two despite their immense difference. That game, though, that's difficulty done right.

Guri

well, the focus shifts from the act of rowing in one reading, to the actions of booker in the next. he doesn't row, as in, no bookers ever row in that situation.

It means no matter which universe the boat scene takes place in, taking into account all sorts of variables, Booker never rows. It's a constant, like the coin flip always landing on heads.

That's up to interpretation. It could be a literal reference to the fact that Booker doesn't row himself up to the lighthouse because they always do it. However I always assumed it was a more philosophical statement. Booker doesn't row in the sense that he doesn't have any control over his fate. He's always being directed by someone.

I thought there was more to it, that's why I asked. Like some kind of wordplay or what Trigger said. Makes sense.

Thanks for the 999 impressions. I'm kind of hanging on buying it right now which is why I asked and I could go for another mindfuck plot.

2 questions:

• Elizabeth becomes very powerful at the end of the game. Why? I'm guessing it has to do with the "Siphon" but I'm not sure what that was.

• In a recent interview, Levine talked about a scene in which Booker and Elizabeth play guitar. What chapter is this in. I missed it on my first play through.

Thanks!

Hey I made a higher quality version of this GIF, plus it's the same size as the other image right above it. Also it's 60 fps.

If you want to swap out the one in the OP with this one feel free.

ibv69D8q8XLikU.gif

Ooh very nice thanks man. Updated OP

Trigger

2 questions:

• Elizabeth becomes very powerful at the end of the game. Why? I'm guessing it has to do with the "Siphon" but I'm not sure what that was.

• In a recent interview, Levine talked about a scene in which Booker and Elizabeth play guitar. What chapter is this in. I missed it on my first play through.

Thanks!

1) The Siphon's destruction gave Liz full access to her powers. The Siphon was a machine that did exactly as its name implies to her powers.

2) The Shantytown. Go to the basement of the bar.

Guri

2 questions:

Thanks!

Siphon = Big statue destroyed at the end.

Will the circle be unbroken, Shantytown Bar, down the stairs.

One last question about 999... well sort of... and I don't mean to get off topic, but I was going to ask about VLR, if that's worth checking out too.

Ok, that sped up music thing is interesting. I remember posting about how the Finkton/Good Time Club area sounding like slowed down music. I'm going to record some now and report.

LiK

One last question about 999... well sort of... and I don't mean to get off topic, but I was going to ask about VLR, if that's worth checking out too.

It's a direct sequel to 999 so YES. You can also join my VLR Spoiler thread when you finish that too. :))))

Trigger

Very much so. Both games are great if you like puzzles and trippy plots. There's also a lot of shared sci-fi themes between them and Infinite.

Cartman86

Banned
2 questions:

Thanks!

I believe it's in the chapter where you arrive in Shantytown. If you walk pretty much straight ahead out of the elevator you will eventually arrive at a bar. You can see it here. Bar is called the "Graveyard Shift".

njean777

I really do not get how Booker was Comstock at all, it just doesnt make since to me. Also was anybody else sad when Songbird died? I was :(. Its death scene was hard for me to watch because I didnt want it to die.

njean777

That thing helped make Liz's life a nightmare and attempts to kill Booker several times.

No.

It was controlled by a madman, its not like it had a brain and had any self control...It was her only friend as well if you dont remember her saying that.

Cartman86

Banned
I really do not get how Booker was Comstock at all, it just doesnt make since to me. Also was anybody else sad when Songbird died? I was :(. Its death scene was hard for me to watch because I didnt want it to die.

Basically

Fights at Wounded Knee.

Regrets Wounded Knee and has the option to get baptized (wash away his sins). He either gets baptized, becoming Comstock OR doesn't get baptized and remains as Booker.

As Comstock he founds Columbia with the scientist Lutess's technology. At some point his interaction with the tech causes him to become sterile and age quickly which pushes him to use the tech to steal Elizabeth/Anna.

Trigger

Songbird's death was like watching someone put down a pet. I felt sad because I don't believe it had any real malice in its actions.

njean777

Songbird's death was like watching someone put down a pet. I felt sad because I don't believe it had any real malice in its actions.

Exactly, that is why it was hard for me to watch. It had no choice :(.

Basically

Fights at Wounded Knee.

Regrets Wounded Knee and has the option to get baptized (wash away his sins). He either gets baptized, becoming Comstock OR doesn't get baptized and remains as Booker.

As Comstock he founds Columbia with the scientist Lutess's technology. At some point his interaction with the tech causes him to become sterile and age quickly which pushes him to use the tech to steal Elizabeth/Anna.

Now that makes since. So if booker died then that means Liz never was real then right?

FluxWaveZ

It was controlled by a madman, its not like it had a brain and had any self control...It was her only friend as well if you dont remember her saying that.

Sure, but that's like saying I should feel bad when Comstock died because it was kind of her only father figure. Elizabeth did mention that she felt like the Songbird resembled her as both had little choice concerning their fate, but that thing was out of control.

And yeah, it was her only friend since it was practically the only contact with a (semi?) sentient being she ever had before being broken out by Booker.

Neiteio

The Booker you play as is from one timeline, in one reality. Comstock is what become of a different Booker, in another timeline, in another reality. For every choice, there exists a whole alternate universe for one decision, or another. For example, because you chose to post on GAF, there also exists a parallel universe where you did NOT choose to post on GAF. :)

In the universe where Booker became Comstock, he did so because he chose baptism, to absolve himself of what he did at Wounded Knee. Unfortunately, his baptism leads him to not only feel forgiven, but to feel justified, and so he becomes even crueler than before. That's how -that- version of Booker becomes Comstock.

The Booker we play as, is a version of Booker in a universe where he rejected baptism. The result is he lived with the guilt of what he did at Wounded Knee, feeling irredeemable, sinking into depression and drinking and debt. That's the Booker who sold his child to Comstock when Comstock crossed time-space.

And the reason Comstock crossed time-space to get Anna, is because exposure to the tear machine had made him sterile in his own timeline, and because he needed a child to bring about the vision he had seen of the future, a future where Elizabeth destroys the surface world.

As for why Elizabeth drowned Booker at the end, it was to create a paradox. If Liz kills Booker before baptism, Booker can't accept baptism and become Comstock; if he can't become Comstock, he can't steal Liz and result in her having powers; and if Liz doesn't have powers, she can't kill Booker in the first place.

See? It's a paradox. And whenever a paradox occurs, nature corrects itself by wiping the conflicting timelines from existence. As such, all timelines where Booker accepted baptism and became Comstock were erased... And only the timelines where Booker rejected baptism, and kept his daughter, remained.

Does that help?

njean777

Sure, but that's like saying I should feel bad when Comstock died because it was kind of her only father figure. Elizabeth did mention that she felt like the Songbird resembled her as both had little choice concerning their fate, but that thing was out of control.

And yeah, it was her only friend since it was practically the only contact with a (semi?) sentient being she ever had before being broken out by Booker.

That was why it was sad when she just killed it, it was her only connection to the outside world. AND THEY WERE FRIENDS!

The Booker you play as is from one timeline, in one reality. Comstock is what become of a different Booker, in another timeline, in another reality. For every choice, there exists a whole alternate universe for one decision, or another. For example, because you chose to post on GAF, there also exists a parallel universe where you did NOT choose to post on GAF. :)

In the universe where Booker became Comstock, he did so because he chose baptism, to absolve himself of what he did at Wounded Knee. Unfortunately, his baptism leads him to not only feel forgiven, but to feel justified, and so he becomes even crueler than before. That's how -that- version of Booker becomes Comstock.

The Booker we play as, is a version of Booker in a universe where he rejected baptism. The result is he lived with the guilt of what he did at Wounded Knee, feeling irredeemable, sinking into depression and drinking and debt. That's the Booker who sold his child to Comstock when Comstock crossed time-space.

And the reason Comstock crossed time-space to get Anna, is because exposure to the tear machine had made him sterile in his own timeline, and because he needed a child to bring about the vision he had seen of the future, a future where Elizabeth destroys the surface world.

As for why Elizabeth drowned Booker at the end, it was to create a paradox. If Liz kills Booker before baptism, Booker can't accept baptism and become Comstock; if he can't become Comstock, he can't steal Liz and result in her having powers; and if Liz doesn't have powers, she can't kill Booker in the first place.

See? It's a paradox. And whenever a paradox occurs, nature corrects itself by wiping the conflicting timelines from existence. As such, all timelines where Booker accepted baptism and became Comstock were erased... And only the timelines where Booker rejected baptism, and kept his daughter, remained.

Does that help?

I thought when she killed Booker everybody was erased, cuz at the end he gets up and opens the door and then it just ends...

Even just rewatching the end sequence after reading this thread makes so many little details make sense. So cool to see how everything fits together. I guess I need to replay the game...

LiK

Even just rewatching the end sequence after reading this thread makes so many little details make sense. So cool to see how everything fits together. I guess I need to replay the game...

Replaying the game is really cool. So many hints were in your face.

njean777

Meh, she drowned her dad and she was pretty cool with it.

Her dad was the one that made songbird do all the aforementioned terrible things, with his stupid flute thing. Her dad was the brain of songbird in a way, but songbird itself had no self control over itself.

Top Bottom