• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

McLovin

Who's Elizabeth's real mother? I'm guessing its not a ghost moms alternate since Booker would have recognized her.

So did Comstock know the whole time in the game that Booker was him from another timeline?

Why do you think he took her in the first place? It had to be his daughter.

Zeliard

Those covers have quite the remarkable ability to bore inside your brain and remain there for a good stretch of time.

shiny happy people holding hands shiny happy people holding hands shiny happy people holding handsshiny happy people holding handsshiny happy people holding handsshiny happy people holding handsshiny happy people holding hands

Elizabeth was Anna, unless they share the same name.

Yeah I had a vague recollection of the baby being named after her, but I double-checked and it must've been the alternate-booker's last vox, where he mumbles his daughter's name (which I guess you're meant to assume was his wife, not daughter).

Trigger

Is it actually said that Booker named Anna after her mother? I can't remember.

WHOA.

I DO SAY, GOOD SIR, YOU ARE LE TITS.

*gives Trigger the coveted Neiteio Tits Award*

i54p2rn1McmaV.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ive been thinking and...this game is like a mix of Django with Inception with Sucker Punch, except better than all of those individually (with the possible exception of Django)

Would anyone agree? Add Bioshock, System Shock 2, and Alyx from HL2 into the mix and i believe you have a recipe for Infinite.

Ive been thinking and...this game is like a mix of Django with Inception with Sucker Punch, except better than all of those individually (with the possible exception of Django)

Would anyone agree? Add Bioshock, System Shock 2, and Alyx from HL2 into the mix and i believe you have a recipe for Infinite.

I think this game is like Bioshock Infinite. It is unique enough on its own.

Is it actually said that Booker named Anna after her mother? I can't remember.

No, just my memory playing tricks:

*Coughs* Fitzroy... you win this fool war, you send this to New York. *Bloody coughs* They ain't getting the girl. Whoever they are - *Winces* Maybe I did right by you and the Vox, but in the end... that don't square anything. Anna... Anna... I'm sorry...

At the time I assumed Anna was his wife, but obviously the real meaning makes sense in hindsight. I also mixed her up with Lady Comstock, as if I had a memory of her initials written down somewhere. Although it is odd the wife's name is never mentioned and Booker doesn't think of her when he dies. I suppose it's possible he wasn't actually that close to her, considering his lifestyle, but he seems emotional when talking about her death in childbirth. Very strange.

edit: Hmm, this rings a bell:

It is believed that her first name was Anna (evident from a poster in Battleship Bay which says: "See the very dress worn by A. Comstock herself!").

Anyone got a screen? I still think there was also a book or plaque with the words A. Comstock as well.

edit2: Just checked aaaaaand:

CE19EDAF6AEF4727B3804668458789CB72165A9F

Yup, A. Comstock.

kurahador

Been thinking about the ending overnight. I wonder how they will fit in the story dlc.

On one hand, I hope we get to explore more Columbia. And the other, I hope we get to play as the Lutece---should be interesting to see from their perspective.

Trigger

Booker apologizing to Anna is interesting. Makes me wonder if he was sorry for giving her away or if he had some intention of saving her. Booker never really explains much of what he remembers/isn't surpressing.

Been thinking about the ending overnight. I wonder how they will fit in the story dlc.

I think we'll get more info via stories of other Bookers in the other timelines. For example, a scenario that explores Martyr Booker and Slate teaming up in the Vox timeline. There might also be a more Fink-centric DLC to explore the Songbird's creation.

FluxWaveZ

I think I might have misunderstood something. Going from this chart, are there two Bookers and two Elizabeths living simultaneously in the same reality in timeline A1 when they initially go through a tear? In A2, Booker's corpse is probably buried somewhere as the martyr but then is there a second Elizabeth in that world as well?

FStop7

Banned
I think I might have misunderstood something. Going from this chart, are there two Bookers and two Elizabeths living simultaneously in the same reality in timeline A1 when they initially go through a tear? In A2, Booker's corpse is probably buried somewhere as the martyr but then is there a second Elizabeth in that world as well?

Supposedly there was another Elizabeth in the fortress of Comstock House. Booker wasn't able to get to her so he joined the Vox, then died a martyr.

It feels like some of that part of the game got cut out.

Trigger

Yes, this version never meets Martyr Booker as she's evacuated from the island before he can reach her.

"Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt." As plans go, I'd seen worse-- except this girl was already gone. Monument Island's a damn ghost town. Seems like they evacuated her when they heard I was here. An old friend told me Comstock spirited her off to that fortress of his. As a one-man job, this just went from bettin' on the river to...drawing dead.

On one hand, I hope we get to explore more Columbia. And the other, I hope we get to play as the Lutece---should be interesting to see from their perspective.

The Lutece "twins" are explicitly limited from direct actions, though. Would be interesting if we got a somewhat avant-garde, non-combat DLC, though I doubt it'd happen. I think the DLC will involve traditional combat.

kurahador

Booker apologizing to Anna is interesting. Makes me wonder if he was sorry for giving her away or if he had some intention of saving her. Booker never really explains much of what he remembers/isn't surpressing.

Like the Luteces said, the memory adapt.
I think the moment when he smacked Comstock's head, he started to remembers but chose not to acknowledge them.

The ending credits is definitely one of the best part with Levine and the 2 cast playing Booker & Elizabeth: http://youtu.be/rjbWQFHi4Aw

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I finished it. Holy shit. Ken Levine is a genius.

I read the OP and I'm doubly stunned. Jesus H. Christ. I am left speechless.

I wonder what will the next lighthouse look like? Haha. Guys, you're the best, I never thought I'd read something this impressive. I thought that the Phantom Pain thread was amazing, but this? Beats it by a mile.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I finished it. Holy shit. Ken Levine is a genius.

It takes a team to make a game. I know Ken was at the head, but I'm sure it wasn't a one man effort. You should give credit to the whole Irrational team for their contributions.

The game is really fantastic and they all deserve recognition for whatever part they played.

Sulla1980

Well, just finished, loved the ending, but some of the stuff in the OP is blowing my mind.

The Rapture stuff was great. I loved that Booker's journey through Rapture was a reverse of your arrival in the first one. And that stuff with the Songbird's death cry being in the is insane.

Neiteio

It takes a team to make a game. I know Ken was at the head, but I'm sure it wasn't a one man effort. You should give credit to the whole Irrational team for their contributions.

The game is really fantastic and they all deserve recognition for whatever part they played.
But the OT said "No gods or kings, only Ken," I thought he made the game by himself.

Jharp

Holy jesus, so I'm at the fight with
Lady Comstock's Ghost
and this game is a giant fucking slog. It's straight up unenjoyable. What the fuck. Art's great, writing's good, story is fun to watch.

But holy fuck this is the polar opposite of fun. Seriously, fuck this. I'm so close to putting it on easy just to blast through it. Why even bother with this terrible shit?

So there's a point in the game right when Elizabeth wakes you up and she says you were saying the name 'Anna' in your sleep. Booker responds with 'I don't want to talk about it'.

This implies he does remember Anna (although not correctly). Since he doesn't remember his daughter until much later in the story, what are his memories of Anna at this point?

Trigger

Holy jesus, so I'm at the fight with
Lady Comstock's Ghost
and this game is a giant fucking slog. It's straight up unenjoyable. What the fuck. Art's great, writing's good, story is fun to watch.

But holy fuck this is the polar opposite of fun. Seriously, fuck this. I'm so close to putting it on easy just to blast through it. Why even bother with this terrible shit?

Hohohoho, you might want to do that if you think Lady Comstock is bad. It gets worse. Are you playing the game on Hard/1999 mode?

So there's a point in the game right when Elizabeth wakes you up and she says you were saying the name 'Anna' in your sleep. Booker responds with 'I don't want to talk about it'.

This implies he does remember Anna (although not correctly). Since he doesn't remember his daughter until much later in the story, what are his memories of Anna at this point?

We don't know. Booker being quiet about his past prevents us from doing anything other than guessing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, of course! How not to thank them all! They're all awesome. But I was emphasizing on Ken since Bioshock is pretty much his idea.

But you're right, I should've give credit to all the team. They're all geniuses, and if the jump from BS1 to BSI happens again, their next game is going to be godly.

Jharp

Hohohoho, you might want to do that if you think Lady Comstock is bad. It gets worse. Are you playing the game on Hard/1999 mode?

Hard. Everyone bitched about normal being way too easy, and a few even bitched about hard being too easy.

I may just be really terrible at games, but I play most games on hard/hardest, and my favorite games of the gen are STALKER and Demon's/Dark Souls. Not exactly cakewalks.

But fuck, this game, every handyman encounter has been awful, and this is just horseshit to the max.

We don't know. Booker being quiet about his past prevents us from doing anything other than guessing.

Well I'm fine with guessing. It's a really intriguing question, as he's definitely remembering something that's completely wrong. His wife seems like an obvious possibility, but then what bad thing does he remember that he doesn't want to talk about? Her death? She died giving birth if I recall, so if he remembered her dying like that, he'd probably remember having a kid too. So what could it be.....

Trigger

Well if we're guessing: I think maybe Booker believes Anna was taken as part of his "debt"? Why would Martyr Booker apologize to her if he thought Anna was dead?

Hard. Everyone bitched about normal being way too easy, and a few even bitched about hard being too easy.

I may just be really terrible at games, but I play most games on hard/hardest, and my favorite games of the gen are STALKER and Demon's/Dark Souls. Not exactly cakewalks.

But fuck, this game, every handyman encounter has been awful, and this is just horseshit to the max.

The problem, IMO, is that Irrational opted to overwhelm the player with numbers as a substitute for a tough boss encounter so you have a crazy difficulty spike in segments like this one. 1999/Hard mode are cake walks when you have enemies in manageable numbers.

Hard mode is hard, bro.

LiK

time to go Normal.

Yeah, I didn't think of that scene. If Booker hadn't regained his memories of baby-Anna, he wouldn't have anything to be prickly about - he'd simply say "I was?" or whatever. But he can't have regained his memories, since that would make no sense at this point. So the logical explanation would be that he was thinking of Anna - but Anna as in his wife. The alternative would be that he's still totally jumbled and was just standoffish about that fact, similar to his aggressive response just after killing Comstock - he doesn't actually know why Liz's finger is cut, but on a subconscious level he does and thus doesn't want to delve any further, hence Liz's knowing but sympathetic look during the "let's just get out of here, open a tear" etc. etc. scene. So perhaps he's merely irritated by the reference to Anna and doesn't know why - and as a psychological defense mechanism, doesn't want to investigate it.

The Hermit

Wtf, I was having some of those songs in my head after playing the game and had no idea why... talk about subconscious!

The only one I actually picked during the game was Fortunate Son, but that's because its my fav. CCR music and the girl was singing. Also Girl wants to have fun I heard the original piece in that tear.

TheFreshPrince

Can someone explain to me how killing OUR Booker at the end had any affect? Didnt Elizabeth need to go back and kill a pre-baptism Booker to break the cycle? Why did our player character Booker die, instead of happily vanish after Elizabeth killed a different pre-baptism Booker in the past?

Cartman86

Banned

Sound guy took a song (team member band? Troy Baker's band? open song library?) and thought it worked for good slowed down ominous noise? Or as is the implication from the video it was intended as a message of sorts. The game also has weird slowed down effects on Comstock's voice whenever his voice is amplified. It almost sounds like a monster of some sort. I wonder if it's Troy's voice mixed in.

Top Bottom