• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Neiteio

I thought when she killed Booker everybody was erased, cuz at the end he gets up and opens the door and then it just ends...
No, the only people who were erased, were the people in the timelines where that timeline's version of Booker accepted baptism and became Comstock.

What we see after the credits is a Booker in a timeline where he still has Anna, but now there will never exist a Comstock to reach across time-space and take his daughter.

Anna/Elizabeth will grow up with daddy Booker. And judging by the way Booker seems surprised, I like to think some ripple across space-time is still rattling around inside his head, subconsciously motivating him to be a better dad. But that last bit is just how I like to see it. :)

Came up with a what if:

What if Songbird is an alternate Booker simply because of the way he ultimately dies. If you think about what we as the gamer are shown, Booker, Comstock, and Song Bird truly only die canonically in water. Booker dies at his baptism at the start of the game, when he lands in battle ship bay, and finally with Elizabeth before the final baptism. Comstock is drowned by Booker, and Song bird is drowned by Elizabeth. This leads me to believe that the constant is ultimately their deaths involve drowning. Hence the allusion that Songbird is an alternate Booker.

Not sure how well supported it can be or if it's been discussed, but I found it interesting to think about.

DarkKyo

I'm replaying the game again... and in one of the early flashbacks to the office(I believe the one I noticed it in was before the Battleship Bay portion) I just noticed you can hear little murmurs from baby Ana in the next room. It blew my mind. How did I not notice that sound the first time? I just can't believe such a huge hint is there so early on.

kurahador

Came up with a what if:

What if Songbird is an alternate Booker simply because of the way he ultimately dies. If you think about what we as the gamer are shown, Booker, Comstock, and Song Bird truly only die canonically in water. Booker dies at his baptism at the start of the game, when he lands in battle ship bay, and finally with Elizabeth before the final baptism. Comstock is drowned by Booker, and Song bird is drowned by Elizabeth. This leads me to believe that the constant is ultimately their deaths involve drowning. Hence the allusion that Songbird is an alternate Booker.

Not sure how well supported it can be or if it's been discussed, but I found it interesting to think about.

Shit. :O

After having some time to think about the game I really do think I like it more than the first bioshock which is very surprising. Definitely in my top 10 of all time. Also beating this game just reminds me that we're not going to see anything from Levine for another 5-6 years. God damn it.

DarkKyo

After having some time to think about the game I really do think I like it more than the first bioshock which is very surprising. Definitely in my top 10 of all time. Also beating this game just reminds me that we're not going to see anything from Levine for another 5-6 years. God damn it.

DLC at least :p

kurahador

Well...there's always Bioshock for vita. ;_;

njean777

Beating this game actually makes me want to go back and finish Bioshock. Although Brad last week fucking spoiled the end of Bioshock out of nowhere and kind of mad me angry, I got it for free with this game and was gonna play it :(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Holy jesus, so I'm at the fight with
Lady Comstock's Ghost
and this game is a giant fucking slog. It's straight up unenjoyable. What the fuck. Art's great, writing's good, story is fun to watch.

But holy fuck this is the polar opposite of fun. Seriously, fuck this. I'm so close to putting it on easy just to blast through it. Why even bother with this terrible shit?

What weapons, vigors and gear are you using? I hate the saying that if its too hard you are playing it wrong but I actually went through feeling like that in this game. Was getting frustrated and changed my gear and started using different vigors and started having way more success.

DLC at least :p

Yeah something to look forward to. Hopefully some really substantial stuff.

Well...there's always Bioshock for vita. ;_;

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Beating this game actually makes me want to go back and finish Bioshock. Although Brad last week fucking spoiled the end of Bioshock out of nowhere and kind of mad me angry, I got it for free with this game and was gonna play it :(

Oh wow that sucks. The ending is such a great reveal.

Surprise of a lifetime. I had no idea this game came with the original Bioshock. I accidentally loaded it on my PS3 trying to play another game of Infinite.

I have one small question before I'm 100% sure I finally understand the events of the game

In the OP, these two explanations are quoted:
Drowning Booker creates a paradox.

Booker accepts baptism->Liz drowns him->Booker is dead so no Bioshock Infinite->Liz doesn't exist to drown him->etc...

As a paradox, this scenario is obliterated by nature so the only remaining timelines are where Booker refuses baptism. These timelines don't involve any tampering with spacetime and everyone lives happily ever after.
So, the crux of it all, is accepting that:

When the universe encounters a paradox due to a choice, it systematically wipes out all timelines associated with that choice, and only allows the timelines with an alternate choice to be made.

Therefore, since Booker accepting baptism and becoming Comstock always winds up in a paradox, the universe goes, "No", wipes those timelines out, and only allows timelines featuring baptism rejection to exist.

Hence, the post-credits scene

Now, my question relates to the nature of a paradox. Is it ever mentioned explicitly in the game, via a voxaphone or Lutece conversation or something, that in the event of a paradox the universe will course-correct itself and delete whatever causes the paradox?

This is the only part I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around. I can't seem to understand how, in the event of a paradox, the universe just goes "No" and deletes everything but Booker rejecting baptism.

Is this just something one has to accept when dealing with the nature of a paradox, or is there an actual in-game explanation to go along with it?

KidNamedCudi

Neo Member
I have one small question before I'm 100% sure I finally understand the events of the game

In the OP, these two explanations are quoted:

Now, my question relates to the nature of a paradox. Is it ever mentioned explicitly in the game, via a voxaphone or Lutece conversation or something, that in the event of a paradox the universe will course-correct itself and delete whatever causes the paradox?

This is the only part I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around. I can't seem to understand how, in the event of a paradox, the universe just goes "No" and deletes everything but Booker rejecting baptism.

Is this just something one has to accept when dealing with the nature of a paradox, or is there an actual in-game explanation to go along with it?
I think one of the Lutece siblings says something like "the universe doesn't like mixing its peas with its porridge." So, when that happens the universe corrects it.

I think. :p

Salamando

No. Best we have in terms of in-game references is that "the universe doesn't like mixing its peas with its porridge". That's about it. There is a real-world paradox theory that states "if an outcome of a random event would lead to a paradox, that event cannot occur, so the event becomes non-random". The primary ending theory here goes "since Comstock's existence would lead to a paradox where he creates Elizabeth who then drowns Booker, there can be no Comstock".

I am not a fan of that theory, as it presents some logical problems. It assumes Comstock has to create Elizabeth and that at least one Booker has to succeed. Should both conditions hold true, then yes, Comstock's mere existence would create a paradox, but the universe could just as easily make Comstock never abduct Anna or Booker always fail.

No one really knows what the ending means. We we're given a puzzle, but not all the puzzle pieces, so we have to make our own. There are many theories on how the puzzle could be solved, but we likely won't know who's right until Levine tells us.

mileS

Replaying the game is really cool. So many hints were in your face.

On one of the elevator rides Booker says something like "sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt" or something to Elizabeth. Not sure if that was intentional or not (seems like a generic thing to say anyway) but it definitely stood out to me.

DatDude

Banned
Came up with a what if:

Damn.

This definitely needs to be discussed more.

I had a theory that Song Bird was an alternate Booker from a different timeline. Plus, like you mentioned all 3 dying from drowning.

Also adjacent with how both Comstock and Booker are fucked up fathers (one locking his stolen daughter and experimenting on her, the other giving her away like trash for payment due to a debt), and if you look at in a way Song Bird is a fucked up father figure in his own right.

He watches over Elizabeth, and protects her the same way a father does to her daughter. But the flawed aspect comes from the fact that he is basically keeping her imprisoned, rather than allowing her to remain free.

It all fits with the 3 motif.

Definitely think that's something left for more discussion.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh man, just when I had some steam going a script seems not to run and I'm stuck not being able to progress. I hit "restart checkpoint". I'd forgotten this was bio infinite...

Nugg

That was why it was sad when she just killed it, it was her only connection to the outside world. AND THEY WERE FRIENDS!

They weren't friends, it's the Stockholm syndrome kicking in. She also implies that she'd rather be dead than let him take her back. Songbird was a monster.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh man, just when I had some steam going a script seems not to run and I'm stuck not being able to progress. I hit "restart checkpoint". I'd forgotten this was bio infinite...

if you've played with the ini bBackgroundTextureStreaming, change it back to default settings

big_z

Finished the game tonight. Overall i really enjoyed it, but i wasnt as blown away as i expected. The story and world is what makes this one worth playing. IMO the game starts and ends strong but the mid portion is the weak link. In the fink areas you see song bird blueprints and more background info on it or even something like failed fink ideas would have helped make that section of the story more interesting. The way it is it's very combat heavy with the fewest story beats but im guessing the song bird stuff is going to be dlc. My only other complaint is the combat. It plays great but it's very hectic right from the start of the game and kinda pulled me out now and then. A more gradual climb in intensity along with enemies that try new tactics as the game goes on would have been better than simply upping the number of targets during an encounter. But other than those two complaints i liked it. Not sure where the shock series can go from here. I wouldnt mind seeing a modern Levine take on system shock but i doubt EA will ever release the rights to that franchise.

I think one of the Lutece siblings says something like "the universe doesn't like mixing its peas with its porridge." So, when that happens the universe corrects it.

I think. :p

The lutece arent siblings they are one and the same person. One was born female in one reality the other male. Question is if they had sex is that incest or a form of masturbation.

zkylon

zkylewd
if you've played with the ini bBackgroundTextureStreaming, change it back to default settings
nah it was just one dude refusing to respawn after he killed me or something like that.

it was more of a general complaint on shitty checkpointing and lack of quicksaves more than anything :p

The lutece arent siblings they are one and the same person. One was born female in one reality the other male. Question is if they had sex is that incest or a form of masturbation.
it's not a question, it's fact.

Yeah. Seen that theory around. Doesn't jive with me in the least. Killing does not seem to be in the Luteces' MO

Why not? They probably did it for 122 times or they just got a dead corpse from a tear, put it on the chair and used some fake blood. It does not matter which theory you find best because the ultimate goal was to scare Booker and that is where they succeeded in.

Why not? They probably did it for 122 times or they just got a dead corpse from a tear, put it on the chair and used some fake blood. It does not matter which theory you find best because the ultimate goal was to scare Booker and that is where they succeeded in.

I'll buy random dead corpse for a $1. But even then why would they need to scare him?

EDIT: NM. You're talking about Comstock scaring Booker not the Luteces.

bs000

That's actually the same music/song, but sped up more. At 800% it sounds like a guy singing softly. At 1000% it sounds like a woman singing. I scrubbed through some of my recordings for more, but it seems it's the same song repeated in multiple sections of the game. In some areas, like the one in the Gamesradar video, some of the middle part is cut out.

I'm not sure if this is the most complete version, but here it is at 10x, 8x, and 1x: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK74rxBDd-I

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Holy jesus, so I'm at the fight with
Lady Comstock's Ghost
and this game is a giant fucking slog. It's straight up unenjoyable. What the fuck. Art's great, writing's good, story is fun to watch.

But holy fuck this is the polar opposite of fun. Seriously, fuck this. I'm so close to putting it on easy just to blast through it. Why even bother with this terrible shit?

I did exactly that. I just dropped it down to easy so I could finish the story.

The game part of the game is terrible towards the end.

big_z

I did exactly that. I just dropped it down to easy so I could finish the story.

The game part of the game is terrible towards the end.

it depends on the weapons you use. i found a lot of them to be useless but carbine + rpg kills everything fast. carbine kills all normal enemies in 1-3 shots. use the rockets with some vigor for larger one ones.

in comparison weapons like the pistol, repeater, machine gun and some others you can go through entire clips and barely make a dent to the life bar.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I just found the game to be a drag after a while. Lots of backtracking, spammy enemies etc. I even stopped picking money and stuff up when I realised it was pointless.

"Found some money! want it?" piss off, you useless plot device. There's like 5 minutes of the game left, why would I want money?

bs000

What weapons, vigors and gear are you using? I hate the saying that if its too hard you are playing it wrong but I actually went through feeling like that in this game. Was getting frustrated and changed my gear and started using different vigors and started having way more success.

Dropping some vigor traps with the Storm hat on results in some sweet chain reactions at the beginning of each fight with her. Devil's Kiss has the added bonus of disintegrating the bodies so they can't be revived again. After that, finding a good spot to hole up and snipe was a pretty good strategy for me. This was on hard difficulty.

Guess Who

Banned
As someone who played on normal and beat all the ghost fights and the final battle in one try I have no damn clue what people had such a problem with. Sniper rifle + carbine + Shock Jockey killed everything without fail, especially with upgrades (hyper-fast sniper rifle reload + chaining Shock Jockey = crazy delicious).

As someone who played on normal and beat all the ghost fights and the final battle in one try I have no damn clue what people had such a problem with. Sniper rifle + carbine + Shock Jockey killed everything without fail.

I happened to have the wrong weapons equipped when it came to the final battle and found it extremely difficult. I didn't see any other weapons to pick up at that point so I was stuck retrying until I could do it.

Trigger

As someone who played on normal and beat all the ghost fights and the final battle in one try I have no damn clue what people had such a problem with. Sniper rifle + carbine + Shock Jockey killed everything without fail, especially with upgrades (hyper-fast sniper rifle reload + chaining Shock Jockey = crazy delicious).

1999 mode makes it very hard to upgrade everything and getting the best gear is random. The final fight was ridiculously tough since enemies were harder to kill.

Guess Who

Banned
1999 mode makes it very hard to upgrade everything and getting the best gear is random. The final fight was ridiculously tough since enemies were harder to kill.

Yeah, I certainly imagine 1999 mode is a totally different beast, but it seems like some people are having huge issues even in lower difficulties, which seems really weird to me, I guess.

Mogwai

Great OP. It's almost as entertaining to figure out the story as it was to play the game.

I really like notion that Booker is fighting his wife, as a ghost, from another timeline. All very absurd.

Nemesis_

Last battle was ridiculously easy with Undertow.

Undertow is so underappreciated :(

Last battle was ridiculously easy with Undertow.

Undertow is so underappreciated :(

I barely used it, I'll have to focus on the vigors I used less when I do my second playthrough.

I'll probably do a playthrough on normal just to mess around and experiment with stuff.

rocK`

Banned
Basically

Fights at Wounded Knee.

Regrets Wounded Knee and has the option to get baptized (wash away his sins). He either gets baptized, becoming Comstock OR doesn't get baptized and remains as Booker.

As Comstock he founds Columbia with the scientist Lutess's technology. At some point his interaction with the tech causes him to become sterile and age quickly which pushes him to use the tech to steal Elizabeth/Anna.

Eh, i dont think thats exactly right. Comstock founds columbia, ages cuz of tech, needs to get Anna/Elizabeth to sit on his throne before he dies.

Top Bottom