• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware teases Shadow Realms, GamesCom unveil, not from BioWare Canada

My hype was going through the roof until I saw those terms. Now I'm like whatever.

I'd love to see something like a single-player Secret World. Some of the imagery and those course descriptions sounded really fascinating.

But if it's a F2P MMO I think a lot of people will just wonder why they shouldn't play Secret World instead.

Maybe because it'll be nothing like that or maybe it'll be a lot better.

Crazy right?

ocean

Banned
I got this email too and it seems interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this. Mass Effect is amazing so I want to see what these guys come up with.

That said, I've never played Dragon Age. The E3 trailer looks cool but what type of game are they? Like, are they RPGs or ME-style TPS?

DOWN

Banned
Anybody else excited for a new IP from EA like me?

I guess I'm just grasping on to when they belted out Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and Dragon Age.

Though, is BioWare Austin that studio that was just rebranded as BioWare after EA took over?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder how much this game has to be with what ME3 Multiplayer has been.
Well, they were looking for play testers with experience with games like Bayonetta, DMC, and Infamous, so I'm imagining something more along the lines of Battlecry.

Could definitely have objective horde mode though.

Acidote

Well, they were looking for play testers with experience with games like Bayonetta, DMC, and Infamous, so I'm imagining something more along the lines of Battlecry.

Could definitely have objective horde mode though.

I was thinking more about the F2P model. If they do something close to the ME3 f2p model after those fixes they did to limit the number of duplicates I think they'll be on the right course.

fenners

Though, is BioWare Austin that studio that was just rebranded as BioWare after EA took over?

No, Bioware Austin is the SWTOR team, was a large mix of Bioware Edmonton people, a whole bunch of Austin folk (including a fair number of SWG folk) & some folk from Mythic in among the usual hires from around the industry.

Jarmel

Banned
YkVOgdU.jpg
All interest officially gone.

All interest officially gone.

Unless Montreal/Edmonton had another team secretly behind the scenes, this was never going to be a project out of Montreal/Edmonton.

It's completely unthinkable that Casey's new project will be officially unveiled before Mass Effect 4, given that it's quite obvious that ME4 is further along in development than CaseyIP is.

luffeN

For anyone wondering about the press conference:

dass unsere Pressekonferenz dieses Jahr am 13. August 2014 von 10-12 Uhr auf unserem gamescom-Messestand in Halle 6 stattfindet.

So August 13th from 10:00 to 12:00 CEST. That email was sent on July 14th.

Razyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUoqlvQ9SM8

Third teaser.

They also announced a fan-event:

Be at our special fan event:
Cologne Marriott Hotel | 08.13.14 | 3PM - 7PM CEST
Johannisstrasse 76-80 Cologne North Rhine-Westphalia 50668 Germany

Not in Cologne?
Join us live on twitch.tv/esl from 4PM - 5 PM CEST
(7AM PDT / 2PM GMT)

*To attend the event, you must be 18 years of age or older. Event space is limited!

MattyG

Banned
Oh, this looked like it could have been a cool single player mystery game or something. F2P takes away some of my interest.

Oh shit this looks really cool. I know that black actor too. Seems to be a game about powers. I almost wrote show lol. Let's see some gameplay.

Given EA's track record:

This will probably be the last nail in the Bioware coffin. I think the only reason EA has kept them going this long is because of the brand recognition and loyalty and the heaping amount of shame that would be on their plate when they do eventually turn out the lights and close the shutters at Bioware.

EA will absorb the IPs and the next Mass Effect and the Dragon Age will be the last "Bioware" branded games. Those IPs will live on, but not as Bioware.

Such a shame.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given EA's track record:

This will probably be the last nail in the Bioware coffin. I think the only reason EA has kept them going this long is because of the brand recognition and loyalty and the heaping amount of shame that would be on their plate when they do eventually turn out the lights and close the shutters at Bioware.

EA will absorb the IPs and the next Mass Effect and the Dragon Age will be the last "Bioware" branded games. Those IPs will live on, but not as Bioware.

Such a shame.
Of course, EA is going to shut down an 800 person studio over an f2p game made by a small team out in Austin.

Kinan

From the alpha invite e-mail:

....Shadow Realms, new 4 vs. 1 Online-Action-RPG with a captivating story. The game offers dynamic Coop Missions in a continuously changing world of Bioware, where modern world collides with a world of fantasy.

Translated from German, so maybe it sounds better in the original text in English.

Allforce

I've been getting these cryptic emails and thought this was going to be a Big Fucking Deal™ coming from Bioware. Then I got the final alpha-signup request email today.

Could you have a more generic name than "SHADOW REALMS"? The gameplay video makes it look like absolutely nothing that would warrant this type of viral marketing and buildup to the reveal.

Iscariot

Who knows how the game itself will turn out, there could be some real promise... But jesus whoever wrote the copy for that voice over needs to be let go. So cringe worthy and made hardly any sense.

"Control your fear... let it guide you."

Well which the fuck is it, mate?

Get_crazy

Banned
Updating the thread because I can't create a new one. Eurogamer just posted a preview/interview for Shadow Realms. We learn that the game might not just be a PC title and could be released later on consoles (PS4 / Xbox One I guess).

Eurogamer said:
There's a heft to Shadow Realm's production; between 80 and 150 people are working on it, says Jeff Hickman, the man in charge, and the game has been in development for more than a year and a half. It's talked about as triple-A, a blockbuster, and one that probably won't - despite first impressions - be confined to PC. "Has anybody ever said that it's an exclusive PC title?" Hickman counters when we ask. "I'm the one who said it and I didn't say that. What I did say is 'it's coming for PC next year'.

"There is nothing that we're doing that would exclude this game from going on console but right now we're focused on the PC - it's the tip of our spear. It will be released on PC first [but] there's nothing that says it can't come to console later. We're making sure when we're building it [on Frostbite 3, for example] that we're not excluding ourselves from that opportunity."

Source: Eurogamer

Top Bottom