• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online Closed Beta Thread: Works on F2P? No, money down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiler

Why'd they take down pre-order packages days before release? Kinda stinks for those of us on the edge :(

I guess buying the game before launch is no longer a "pre order" in their eyes.

Well for the biggest package the game do release in 24 hours :p

Still doesn't make much sense though, they could have sold all the packages up until base-game release date and just made a point of when headstart is so if you bought it late you (obviously) wouldn't get that many days.

Ashodin

NA GAF SERVER AT LAUNCH: ORWEN

CHANNEL: 3, IF FULL 4, IF FULL 5. etc

Tired of having to repeat myself, scroll up guys :p

nataku

You said there is a discord, right? How would one get in there? Planning on joining the gaf guild too

Also hoping the game doesn't try and use family name as your last name. Reserved Aadrian1234 so i can make different character names and still have friends recognize me

Thanks! As long as the game doesn't try and actually use my family name as my last name, then i should be fine

I know people already replied, but no one mentioned the game will show your family name above every character you make, like this:

<Family Name>
<Character Name>

So while it is technically your account name, it's still a part of every character you make. If immersion is your thing you can still change it if you don't want the numbers. You only have until the 27th to do so, though. There's a link on the name reservation page at the bottom for it.

I know people already replied, but no one mentioned the game will show your family name above every character you make, like this:

<Family Name>
<Character Name>

So while it is technically your account name, it's still a part of every character you make. If immersion is your thing you can still change it if you don't want the numbers. You only have until the 27th to do so, though. There's a link on the name reservation page at the bottom for it.

Oh, i know how it shows up, i was hoping the game doesn't treat it as a last name. I know other MMO's that have used a <First Name> <Last Name> format and used the full name, i was hoping black desert didn't, because of how names work differently here. Unfortunately, the name i usually use in games is taken. Both character and family name, so i decided to use my regular username as a family name (IE, that will be my account name) and my character name be my character's full name (So for example, Adrian would be my in-game name).

If anyone plays Phantasy Star Online 2, Black Desert's family name and character name works exactly the same as in PSO2's account name and character name, right?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, will either of the remaining two packages available for order now let you play the game early? (3/1 or 3/2?)

CoLaN

This is the first MMORPG in years that manages to excite me. There are so many interesting and complex systems to learn, its just so much more interesting than all the other MMOs on the market right now.

I dont understand the people that complain about "endgame content". There are guild wars over nodes, zones and castles. There are complex trading, crafting, fishing, horse breeding, summonable guild bosses, open dungeons. Naval battles are coming. The world is HUGE, and the lack of fast travel makes it exciting to explore.

Its 10 times more interesting than repeating the same boring daily quests for hours, or small dungeons obsessively ran to gain slightly better loot, to complete the same dungeon slightly faster.

This is the first MMORPG in years that manages to excite me. There are so many interesting and complex systems to learn, its just so much more interesting than all the other MMOs on the market right now.

I dont understand the people that complain about "endgame content". There are guild wars over nodes, zones and castles. There are complex trading, crafting, fishing, horse breeding, summonable guild bosses, open dungeons. Naval battles are coming. The world is HUGE, and the lack of fast travels makes it exciting to explore.

Its 10 times more interesting than repeating the same boring daily quests for hours, or small dungeons obsessively ran to gain slightly better loot, to complete the same dungeon slightly faster.

It's why I am so excited to play this. For once I can do something different in an MMO besides loot treadmill endgame. Building rafts, fishing, designing/buying a home, nodes...it's all so exciting.

Ferr986

I dont understand the people that complain about "endgame content". There are guild wars over nodes, zones and castles. There are complex trading, crafting, fishing, horse breeding, summonable guild bosses, open dungeons. Naval battles are coming. The world is HUGE, and the lack of fast travel makes it exciting to explore.

Hell, I probably won't even hit endgame levels at first because of the open world PvP.

I think I'll level a couple of chars of levels to 40 (where you're sitll safe) and try to learn all of the things the game offers (craft, gathering, node stuff, workers)... I want to know how everything works and step into the endgame PvP totally prepared.

Honestly, I was incredibly overwhelmed with all of the stuff available on the beta. Yeah, I'm actually a little intimidated lol That's why I'm going to take it extremely slow.

Oh, i know how it shows up, i was hoping the game doesn't treat it as a last name. I know other MMO's that have used a <First Name> <Last Name> format and used the full name, i was hoping black desert didn't, because of how names work differently here. Unfortunately, the name i usually use in games is taken. Both character and family name, so i decided to use my regular username as a family name (IE, that will be my account name) and my character name be my character's full name (So for example, Adrian would be my in-game name).

If anyone plays Phantasy Star Online 2, Black Desert's family name and character name works exactly the same as in PSO2's account name and character name, right?

It is not designed to be first and last name. It's the account name. It does not treat 'Family Name' as your last name and only references your character name in game but the account name does appear above all of your characters as it is a way of tying all of your characters to the same player (account). If you're really into RP, I guess you can pretend it's a last name but then all of your characters would need to be related to each other (in a RP sense).

nataku

So I guess the final price of costumes is going to be $29 instead of $32. Yay?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...stume-Prices-to-Be-Reduced-from-32-to-29.html

After reaching out to Daum about the costume prices in the Black Desert Online shop, the team has responded. Overall costume prices will be reduced ~10% from $32 to $29. Costume sales will continue throughout the head start period and into launch with the development team keeping a close eye on community reaction and will assess feedback received. Adjustments will be made as necessary.

Hopefully the community keeps complaining about it because that's still way too high.

Twookie

i just cannot see who in their right mind would buy one costume for ~ 30 dollars and be like "yeah, this was worth 30 bucks"

like what whyy

Is there no way to get a trial of this?

I've seen streamers play it and it looks good but I don't want to spend money on it as you can't get a refund once you log into the game.

Is there no way to get a trial of this?

I've seen streamers play it and it looks good but I don't want to spend money on it as you can't get a refund once you log into the game.

The game isnt out as of yet, but there was two betas phases out. And one was just last weekend. Those were the only chances to play the game free before release.

But the game has these "guest pass" for 7 days, so if a user gives you a pass, you can play free for 7 days. Users get these guess passes buy pre-ordering the game. Depending on which pre-order package the user bought, they will 1 to 3 guess passes.

So im pretty sure, there's going to be streamers giving out passes to their viewers.

As stated above, everyone who pre-ordered the game will have a one or more passes, so a lot of gaf users will have em, so I don't think it'll be too hard to get a trial pass here on GAF.

I will mostly likly will be giving out the two passes that I have since I bought the middle tier and none of my real life friends play on PC, they console peasants, lol.

What is the best way to make money in this? I only played for a few hours and saw there is trading, and with workers/bots? Or would it be one of the other crafting classes that's required for something for end game?

Ashodin

So I guess the final price of costumes is going to be $29 instead of $32. Yay?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...stume-Prices-to-Be-Reduced-from-32-to-29.html

Hopefully the community keeps complaining about it because that's still way too high.

Hrm. I'm assuming it's $29 for costume + weapon/shield, right?

And don't forget, you can buy all the parts piecemeal if you want.

ALSO, check out this video on craftable costumes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKZbmAMWes

Ricker

How exactly do you patch the beta...I got the e-mail with a link to the full download I guess and step 2 says you can patch in the launcher if you have CBT2...if I go to my account page from the website,there is a red download button but my friend says that he clicked that and its downloading the whole game again,instead of patching...if I start the launcher,I see patching real quick but there's no screen to log in my ID and Password and if I click play,it tells me to login...confused.

Ashodin

How exactly do you patch the beta...I got the e-mail with a link to the full download I guess and step 2 says you can patch in the launcher if you have CBT2...if I go to my account page from the website,there is a red download button but my friend says that he clicked that and its downloading the whole game again,instead of patching...if I start the launcher,I see patching real quick but there's no screen to log in my ID and Password and if I click play,it tells me to login...confused.

EDIT: Wrong time

Stiler

I just wonder if they are delusional or what?

Do they not understand economics or how cash-shop/microtransactions work?

They would make a LOT more money by selling costumes cheaper but to a whollllllllle lot more people rather than selling very expensive costumes to a few people.

Look at League of Legends, look a Valve's sales figures.

League has full costumes for <5 bucks, their "premium" ones can run 10-15, but these come with new particle effects or an animation change. Their "ultimate" skins, which are $20 are a completely new character design with new particles/animations/voice overs and a changing model usually so it's basically like buying three-skins or more.

Also one huge point, LoL is a f2p game.

This game is B2P. It feels like a slap in the face to have the game cost money on top of having such huge cash grabs for the cash shop items.

Hell; the people who bought the 99 package can't even afford a full costume, and that's absurd!

Ashodin

The costume by itself is $20.

Also LoL and DOTA are MOBAs not MMOs. This is a more time-invested game.

Don't take this as a defense of the game however. I'm just saying that your character here is suited to using the costume more.

Zexen

^
Nice. Is an update from CBT2 planned for the client or we will be good to roll as soon as the server launch?

Ashodin

Lots of interesting stuff.

Here's the important bits:

It looks like each datacenter will have three servers, with two channels that correspond with each other in groups beneath that.

They're splitting up the cash shop costumes into costumes and outfits, so you know exactly what one has an effect on gameplay and ones that do not.

Prices are indeed reduced by 3 dollars to $29 for a full costume + weapons.

However, there will be a sale that reduces that to $25 for a full costume + weapons.

Pets are also 20% off.

Still pretty high IMO, and they'll get more feedback I'm sure.

The thunderstorm feature that we tested during CBT1 has not been permanently added. It will occur up to 3 times per day on a global scale. As the night will turn almost pitch black (see below), you should lookout for NPCs that offer you a lantern. The lantern effect has also been fixed and allows now to see further than before.

Additionally, as requested, we have disabled other player’s lantern effect by default. You can find it under the Screen settings to turn it back on, along with many other features.

It looks like the glow lantern issues people have had when playing will be gone, thankfully.

Sectus

I took a pretty spiffy screenshot in Korean version.

tumblr_o37lo71jEr1tiz823o2_1280.png

Package Holders and their benefits
&#8226; You can download the game launcher under your ACCOUNT (requires game purchase)
&#8226; You can claim your items under your ACCOUNT (You need a character first)

Event Rewards from CBT1,2 and Beauty&Beast Event
&#8226; Claim your event rewards after starting 3rd of March under your ACCOUNT (You need a character first)

CBT2 &#8211; Imp Rush
&#8226; We will help you through the rush in the Imp area and spawn additional monsters to cover the masses
Server Setup
&#8226; Changed Server Setup due to increased population
&#8226; 2 regions with 3 servers each with 9 channels of which 7 are open
Chat Filter System & Channel Clusters
&#8226; Channel Chat language can be set for clusters of channels with the same name (e.g. Balenos 1 & 2)
&#8226; Communicate only with users with the same Chat Language Filter

Cash Shop
&#8226; Functional costumes will remain costumes.
&#8226; Armor like costumes will be renamed to outfits.
&#8226; Price Change: Outfit Set Package (inlc. Weapon Skin) 3,200 Pearls à 2,900 Pearls

Opening Sales
&#8226; Period: 3rd March &#8211; 14th March 08:00 UTC
&#8226; Sale 1: 20% Discount on all Pets
&#8226; Sale 2: Outfit Set Package (incl. Weapon Skin) 2,900 Pearls à 2,500 Pearls*

PvP Settings
&#8226; No changes for Launch à will be monitored
&#8226; More PvP related content announced for EU soon: Updated Castle Siege and Duel System
Trading
&#8226; No changes compared to CBT2; only small value items remain tradeable à will by monitored closely

Thunderstorm & Lanterns
&#8226; Thunderstorm has been added as global effect up to 3 times per day
&#8226; Lantern effect has been improved; lantern effect of other players is default:OFF

Party loot
&#8226; New feature that greatly improves party play looting behavior and item distribution
&#8226; New Special Deals Market is opened where user can get discounted items below MIN price

If they're gonna start splitting servers this much, I'd rather have a megaserver. I don't want to have a situation where friends get split between servers. This is already a huge complaint I have with FFXIV and I'm not happy that they're splitting a third server now

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If they're gonna start splitting servers this much, I'd rather have a megaserver. I don't want to have a situation where friends get split between servers. This is already a huge complaint I have with FFXIV and I'm not happy that they're splitting a third server now

I thought it was 2 servers 9 channels each confirmed?

Edit: ahh i see they added an additional server because of population. Ughh just have everyone together!

I thought it was 2 servers 9 channels each confirmed?

Edit: ahh i see they added an additional server because of population. Ughh just have everyone together!
Yeah. They're pushing BDO so hard with having a living world, but you're still going to be split up by servers. Not happy about this

Loginius

Which server are the people from eu planning to go to?
Does not seem like we will have enough people for a very active guild tho.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We will see how it pans out, but I think they got way more pre orders than they anticipated. 18 channels for 500k+ players at launch would have been great I think, but it would have Higher potential for downtime im sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom