• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

How is the Vita version compared to consoles?

I remember Noel's hair in the PSP BlazBlue looked brown instead of blonde. Are the colors vibrant and identical to the console versions?

thundr51

Stupid question: If I buy the PS3 version, do I get the Vita version forfree?

I need some sort of fighter and I have BlazBlue CS2 on PSP. Just curious if I should pick this up or UMvC3 instead.

WOOT, my arcade finally stopped being outdated. I have no idea how they did it, but it was supposedly pretty expensive, so they started charging two tokens per game instead of just one -.-;

Reminds me a lot of when we got CS for the first time, I have no idea what I'm doing at all >_>

Honestly, that's the only thing I don't like so far, I have to unlearn EVERYTHING I knew about combos (hell, even the very little I knew of CS2) and I don't have the luxury of training mode since retailers here suck and haven't gotten the game yet. What the hell am I meant to do with Tao now, not even my CS2 combos work like I remember anymore D:

TheExodu5

Banned
This game is...overwhelming. I used to think it was easier than SF IV, but the learning curve is way steeper. Or, it feels like it at least.

Fugu

WOOT, my arcade finally stopped being outdated. I have no idea how they did it, but it was supposedly pretty expensive, so they started charging two tokens per game instead of just one -.-;

Reminds me a lot of when we got CS for the first time, I have no idea what I'm doing at all >_>

Honestly, that's the only thing I don't like so far, I have to unlearn EVERYTHING I knew about combos (hell, even the very little I knew of CS2) and I don't have the luxury of training mode since retailers here suck and haven't gotten the game yet. What the hell am I meant to do with Tao now, not even my CS2 combos work like I remember anymore D:
Some of Tao's CT stuff works in CSEX, if you know that. Mostly her corner stuff.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
This game is...overwhelming. I used to think it was easier than SF IV, but the learning curve is way steeper. Or, it feels like it at least.
The initial learning curve is steeper, because you can't just mash buttons to win. Once you get all the fundamentals down and some matchup experience, it becomes a bit easier than SFIV.

At least we don't have 1F links!

Ken

That's how I felt when I first got Calamity Trigger. Still haven't gotten into my copies of Extend yet. Maybe Ill try tonight...

After going through the tutorial, what do you guys suggest a beginner to do next? Find combos for a character?

I've been slowly making my way through the story in this game while trying some old favorites here and there. I freaking missed this game so much and I'm glad that I got it. Bang feels really good in this version, I love playing through a meaty story mode and the crazy amounts of art that I can unlock will keep me very busy.

Also, challenge mode will come in very handy when I want to learn other characters besides Bang at an intermediate level.
Maybe the links added an illusion of difficulty? BB has the perfect balance between difficulty and easiness if you ask me.
Some of Tao's CT stuff works in CSEX, if you know that. Mostly her corner stuff.
I'm no pro player with her, but I can get some basic 2.5k stuff working pretty quick. She is still really fun to play with in this version too. I'm probably going to be torn between Rachel and Platinum since Tao is looking so fun.
That's how I felt when I first got Calamity Trigger. Still haven't gotten into my copies of Extend yet. Maybe Ill try tonight...

After going through the tutorial, what do you guys suggest a beginner to do next? Find combos for a character?
Pick three characters that interest you and try their challenges to see who feels right. Play up to mission 6 or 7 with each and narrow it down to two characters. Use one as a main and another one as a sub.

Solune

The initial learning curve is steeper, because you can't just mash buttons to win. Once you get all the fundamentals down and some matchup experience, it becomes a bit easier than SFIV.
I don't feel this way at all. I'm pretty competent in SFIV, but get my shit wrecked in this game. And it's not about mashing buttons to win.
At least we don't have 1F links!
False.

So how is this version of BB holding up for you folks? Didn't like the first, enjoy some of the system changes in the 2nd one(Like the BURST meter)But how's the third?

Fugu

No, we don't have 1F links. BB has combos that have 1F execution barriers due to necessary delay (Litchi's full corner combo off of 5A/2A/throw has one, for example), but literal links can't exist due to the input buffer in BB. Non-gatlings can be buffered, so moves going directly into each other without a cancel -- a link -- will inherently have the entire span of the input buffer to be input.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I don't feel this way at all. I'm pretty competent in SFIV, but get my shit wrecked in this game. And it's not about mashing buttons to win.
BB is objectively the easier game. By mashing buttons to win, I mean that in SFIV, single buttons do good damage. At a basic level, you don't need combos, because the scaling is so harsh anyway. Before you have to learn links, doing things like cr.roundhouse or throws is decent damage. If your fundamentals are strong, you can win at those levels.

BB throws much more at you at the beginning. Single buttons do like 200-900 damage, so you need combos to go anywhere in the game. Once you grasp those, the game becomes much easier, partly due to easier execution, partly due to the fact that SFIV is much more methodical and strategic. Not to say BB isn't, but SFIV is moreso. BB is more reaction-based, since just about all overheads are slow enough to be reacted to. SFIV is more about reads and guesses.

No, we don't have 1F links. BB has combos that have 1F execution barriers due to necessary delay (Litchi's full corner combo off of 5A/2A/throw has one, for example), but literal links can't exist due to the input buffer in BB. Non-gatlings can be buffered, so moves going directly into each other without a cancel -- a link -- will inherently have the entire span of the input buffer to be input.
Yup. And it's a 5F buffer to be exact.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm having serious issues pulling off Tsubaki's 236D -> 66 -> B
The most common issue with dashing after non-dash-cancellable moves is that you can dash earlier than you think. If you watch a demo of the combo, compare the height of the opponent. If yours is too high, then slow down just a bit. If he's too low, do the dash faster.

If you're on pad, make sure you input the double forward fast. The time between lifting your thumb up and putting it back down is pretty significant if you don't purposely do it quickly. If you're on stick, make sure that in doing the dash input quickly, you are fully returning to 5 before going back to 6.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
lol I still can't dash cancel to save my life. I need to practice.
XD Feel free to input dash cancels ASAP after the move you're cancelling. The timing on dc's aren't strict, and you can always compensate for the timing with the next move after the dash cancel is done.

TheExodu5

Banned
I still haven't tried my TE stick with this yet. Just been playing on the Vita a bit. I feel like I'm going to have a lot of trouble with dash cancels and jump cancels since double tapping feels a lot slower on the stick (unless I'm doing 66, which is pretty fast for me). 44 is going to be the hardest to pull off quickly.

Any tips on double tapping with the stick? Not sure if I'm doing it right, but when I have to do 66, I basically open up my hand and just slap the stick right twice. If I want to do 44, I'm tempted to just slap it with my thumb, but it's not quite as quick as 66.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
When I dash, I open my palm and cradle the stick. The time it takes for your hand to leave the stick and then come back in contact with it can be detrimental. Remember to allow the stick to reset to 5, but don't spend any time you don't need to at 5. How you go about it depends on your grip, but I can't recommend slapping.

Ken

Pick three characters that interest you and try their challenges to see who feels right. Play up to mission 6 or 7 with each and narrow it down to two characters. Use one as a main and another one as a sub.

Thanks. I really want to main Makoto but maybe I'll try Noel and Hakumen too.

Just finished the intermediate tutorial; now onto advanced!

Thanks. I really want to main Makoto but maybe I'll try Noel and Hakumen too.

Just finished the intermediate tutorial; now onto advanced!

If you know that Mak's the one for you, stick with her. When CT came out, I literally said "Rachel is the one I'm going to main" and haven't really touched anyone else until I got decent with her.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is my first blazblue, i have two questions:
1)what are the unlimited characters?
2)the first time i played the arcade mode(beginner difficulty) i won the fight with the last opponent(i don't say who is) but i lost at the final boss(i don't say who is). The second time i tried i won vs the last opponent but there was no fight with the boss(i skipped the cutscenes but i saw the boss in one of them)! What i have to do to fight the boss?

GG's up on that stream I posted.

This is my first blazblue, i have two questions:
1)what are the unlimited characters?
2)the first time i played the arcade mode(beginner difficulty) i won the fight with the last opponent(i don't say who is) but i lost at the final boss(i don't say who is). The second time i tried i won vs the last opponent but there was no fight with the boss(i skipped the cutscenes but i saw the boss in one of them)! What i have to do to fight the boss?

Unlimited characters are suped up versions of the characters.

I've never been to the end of arcade mode, so can't help you there. You could try not losing a round, not having to continue, using a lot of distortion finishes, and using as many astral heats as possible. One of those conditions will probably bring the FINAL BOSS out again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Play Litchi. Everyone should play Litchi. I'm not really sure why they put other characters in the game.

<3 Litchi.

I think I'm getting a better grasp of her in BBCSE. Those bnbs you posted helped give me a starting point. My execution is just off after playing so much Marvel and SSFIV, but I'm getting there, I think!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't know if you noticed it, but the last set of colors is the original one with black shadows, i really like it :D

GG's up on that stream I posted.

Unlimited characters are suped up versions of the characters.

I've never been to the end of arcade mode, so can't help you there. You could try not losing a round, not having to continue, using a lot of distortion finishes, and using as many astral heats as possible. One of those conditions will probably bring the FINAL BOSS out again.

Ok :D
How can i obtain an unlimited character?

Theonik

I preferred it when extras just unlocked on their own instead of having you buy them with in-game cash. >.>
But I have my Jin Type B which was the one I cared about the most so it's not all that bad I guess.

I preferred it when extras just unlocked on their own instead of having you buy them with in-game cash. >.>
But I have my Jin Type B which was the one I cared about the most so it's not all that bad I guess.

I'm okay with this. I only unlocked the ones that I cared about. I would've been pissed if I had to play 5 hours just to unlock the one thing I wanted.

Roto13

It's really lame that you can only use Unlimited characters in vs. mode and training. I should be able to mow through Arcade mode with them if I want.

You fight the secret last boss by never losing a round in an Arcade mode run and getting at least three Astral Finishes. (A certain number of Distortion Finishes might also work, but I'm not sure.) It's Unlimited Mu for most people and Unlimited Ragna for one or two characters.

Theonik

I'm okay with this. I only unlocked the ones that I cared about. I would've been pissed if I had to play 5 hours just to unlock the one thing I wanted.
Depends on one's approach I guess, most things were tied to Story mode and doing arcade modes before, So if like me you did those anyway you ended up having most if not all the things you wanted anyway.
Whereas now, I would have to level up, collect money and then have to look for said item in the gallery.
Both ways work so It's not like it's a big thing or anything.

Roto13

Depends on one's approach I guess, most things were tied to Story mode and doing arcade modes before, So if like me you did those anyway you ended up having most if not all the things you wanted anyway.
Whereas now, I would have to level up, collect money and then have to look for said item in the gallery.
Both ways work so It's not like it's a big thing or anything.

If you only care about voices, colours, and Unlimited characters, you should have enough money to buy everything as you reach the level to unlock them anyway.

Fugu

BB is objectively the easier game. By mashing buttons to win, I mean that in SFIV, single buttons do good damage. At a basic level, you don't need combos, because the scaling is so harsh anyway. Before you have to learn links, doing things like cr.roundhouse or throws is decent damage. If your fundamentals are strong, you can win at those levels.

BB throws much more at you at the beginning. Single buttons do like 200-900 damage, so you need combos to go anywhere in the game. Once you grasp those, the game becomes much easier, partly due to easier execution, partly due to the fact that SFIV is much more methodical and strategic. Not to say BB isn't, but SFIV is moreso. BB is more reaction-based, since just about all overheads are slow enough to be reacted to. SFIV is more about reads and guesses.

Yup. And it's a 5F buffer to be exact.
I think a lot of people come to this conclusion based solely on the input buffer, and I'm pretty confident now in saying that it's the wrong conclusion.

For starters, combo execution in BB varies wildly; most of the combos are much, much longer than any combo that will ever be in SF (except for that bonkers Chun-Li corner combo) and require more inputs, and some of them have very restrictive timings. Litchi's midscreen Itsuu combos from CS1 were extremely difficult, and players at all levels of play often dropped the optimal prorate version of it. As well, execution in BB also means hitconfirm, mobility, and -- possibly most importantly -- blockstrings.

However, it's more important to note that at high-level play, execution is only a small component of the game. And your assertion is therefore based on the notion that the skill ceiling is lower and more easily achieved in BB than it is in SFIV, which is false. BB is every bit as methodical and strategic as SFIV, it is just presented in a less subtle form; people can move further and faster in BB so space control is more explicit. Top players get hit by the game's slow overheads all the time because BB has so many true 50/50 mixups that it takes a lot of reacting to block. Every jab (from most characters) is a 50/50, plus the possibility of grab, or a dash to reset the jab pressure, or a block to bait. There's also character specific elements that vary more drastically in BB than they do in SF.

I'm not arguing that BB has a higher skill ceiling than SF, because that would be about as stupid as arguing that SF has a higher skill ceiling than BB. One of the key characteristics of the enduring population of fighting games is that, given a reasonable amount of balance and options, the skill ceiling of any given game is basically infinite.

I think a lot of people come to this conclusion based solely on the input buffer, and I'm pretty confident now in saying that it's the wrong conclusion.

For starters, combo execution in BB varies wildly; most of the combos are much, much longer than any combo that will ever be in SF (except for that bonkers Chun-Li corner combo) and require more inputs, and some of them have very restrictive timings. Litchi's midscreen Itsuu combos from CS1 were extremely difficult, and players at all levels of play often dropped the optimal prorate version of it. As well, execution in BB also means hitconfirm, mobility, and -- possibly most importantly -- blockstrings.

However, it's more important to note that at high-level play, execution is only a small component of the game. And your assertion is therefore based on the notion that the skill ceiling is lower and more easily achieved in BB than it is in SFIV, which is false. BB is every bit as methodical and strategic as SFIV, it is just presented in a less subtle form; people can move further and faster in BB so space control is more explicit. Top players get hit by the game's slow overheads all the time because BB has so many true 50/50 mixups that it takes a lot of reacting to block. Every jab (from most characters) is a 50/50, plus the possibility of grab, or a dash to reset the jab pressure, or a block to bait. There's also character specific elements that vary more drastically in BB than they do in SF.

I'm not arguing that BB has a higher skill ceiling than SF, because that would be about as stupid as arguing that SF has a higher skill ceiling than BB. One of the key characteristics of the enduring population of fighting games is that, given a reasonable amount of balance and options, the skill ceiling of any given game is basically infinite.

In conclusion, the two games are different

Ken

If you know that Mak's the one for you, stick with her. When CT came out, I literally said "Rachel is the one I'm going to main" and haven't really touched anyone else until I got decent with her.

Thanks. I guess I'll try out the challenge mode and then look for combos online. Shame the DustLoop forums seem really hard to navigate.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
There are character-specific subforums on Dustloop. You can usually find a "common combos" thread or something along those lines in there.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm not arguing that BB has a higher skill ceiling than SF, because that would be about as stupid as arguing that SF has a higher skill ceiling than BB.
I wasn't basing my argument solely on the execution aspect. I wanted to flesh out my position more, but I had class, so I couldn't at the time. I only bring up execution, because as small of an issue as a lot of people make it, drops DO happen. As it happens, I see more SFIV drops than I do BB. Then again, this is only my personal experience. So, let's move on from that.

First, we aren't talking about skill ceilings. Infinite skill ceilings could exist, sure. But we would only know if there were players with infinite skill. For practicality reasons, we should restrict this to two levels of play: tournament level and casual level. Do you agree that at a casual level, BB is harder to pick up and learn than SFIV?

As for the higher level, I still believe SFIV has the higher barrier to entry. Sure, not everything can be reacted to in BB. If they could, then no one would ever lose. That said, this difference in the speed of moves does matter. SFIV normals generally have faster startup than BB normals. Also, they have somewhat longer active frames. These put together create an important difference in the game; SFIV footsies are about walking in and out of range, sticking out a normal, and trying to make their normal hitbox to intersect with your already-placed normal. In BB footsies is more about IAD'ing in and out, trying to fish for a hit. In the latter case, you need to read what your opponent is thinking. "If he tries A, I need to place my B here." Whereas in BB, it's less about that, and more about overwhelming your opponent's reflexes.

In addition, being in the corner is far more damaging in SF. With BB's high mobility and barrier guarding, it is much easier to force your opponent to slip up on pressure and escape. In SFIV, you really need to slowly push yourself out of the corner.

I won't even start on SFIV's fireball theory, or BB's 13F throw rejects. =P

Anyway, in the end, this is just my opinion. I'm no tournament player, so I wouldn't feel comfortable making any further assertions about these games. At the end of the day, I vastly prefer BB to be my fighting game of choice. I like being able to react to mixups. I like the adrenaline rush of fending off really good pressure. Let's talk about nice things, like how I finally got down Hazama's TK loop today, but I'll never be able to do it on lolnetplay. =/

Ken

There are character-specific subforums on Dustloop. You can usually find a "common combos" thread or something along those lines in there.

I was looking for a guide for beginners, but there are so many stickied threads in the beginner's forum that it got a little overwhelming. I see a thread for mixups, then another for definitions (?), and then another for CS mechanics. The character subforums are good though since I can tell which is a combo thread and which is character discussion.

Anyways, it's probably just me trying to get used to a new forum so don't mind me.

Fugu

I think your perspective on how footsies works in BB is flawed and/or based on one character. Footsies function differently in every matchup in BB and it would take me an incredibly long time for me to detail that, but the point is that they exist and simply occur over a larger amount of space due to the increased mobility. I fail to see how being able to move more makes them any easier.

The corner is where most games start and end in BB. I don't see how you could think that it's any less of a dangerous place than it is in SFIV when there are characters with such strong oki. If anything, I would say that it's more prevalent in BB because the corner indicates the death of one of the two players' mobility options. As for barrier, most characters have specific ways to deal with barrier blocking.

However, mostly I disagree with your assertion that it is easier or harder to play one game well over the other, seeing as the difficulty is based entirely on the strength of your opponents and not the game itself. If one game had a steeper learning curve than another, than that would be reflected in the relative skill gap between pros and amateurs. That gap is pretty damn large in BB.

Ken: Dustloop is a terrible place, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Well, it's a fair point. DL has a lot of subforums and tends to throw around a lot of fighting game jargon, so it can be daunting to go in as a beginner. I never got into Guilty Gear because their system guide sounded like another language to me.

I'd say start with combos first, then pick up each of the mechanics one by one from there as you see them in effect during matches. It's a lot to take in, but you get used to it eventually.

The two games are obviously aimed for different groups. SF4 went more of a simplistic approach, which gives more room for mind games and spacing. It definitely has a place for combos (C.Viper/Akuma/El Fuerte/etc.) but even those characters are spending most of the time going back and forth to space out and to try to bait something about or wait until an opponent to make a mistake. In turn, a lot of single hits do a lot of damage (which is why ume shoryu is effective) and how a lot of random (but sometimes planned) jabs are thrown from a distance to hit the limbs. It does have its technical points, such as 1F links (although I don't agree with 1F jabs that are legit combos) and FADC combos, but don't go anywhere CLOSE to BB.

BB has a very limited group, just by having the anime looks, but it's a different beast altogether. It's a much more combo oriented game, but its timings are not as strict as SF4 thanks to the 5F buffers. It's an offensive geared game, where most of the time, it punishes you for being too defensive (primers broken, running out of green barrier, negative penalty, etc). Even in a defensive position, you have options to go back on the offensive position, such as bursts, instant block and CAs. However, the game does not like you mashing some buttons and be rewarded for it, so if you hit two jabs in a row instead of one, your damage might be reduced to around 25% or the combo may prorate so much that you might even be able to finish the combos. Obviously, just like SF4, there are exceptions to some of the characters, such as Hakumen, who thrives as playing footsies and controlling space, but again, it's not as prevalent as SF4.

Obviously both games are much deeper than what I just explained in this little sliver but in the base level, this is how the two games are different and are geared to two different groups.

As for "which game is harder to play" debate... my answer is... WHO CARES. Just play what's fun, although don't expect me to not judge you if you end up saying that SF4 is the best fighter out there. If you suck at playing mind games, you'll think that SF4 is harder to play, and if you suck at connecting combos, you'll think that BB is harder.

Top Bottom