• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (new?) scans

TTP said:
rapetimeet2.jpg

:lol

kevm3

This next gen is getting me back interested in rpgs froma visual standpoint. I believe rpg visuals took a hit on the ps2 xbox generation in terms of overall visuals compared to the psx generation which had prerendered backgrounds. The models looked a lot better, but came nowhere near those prerendered backgrounds. Even though the character models looked rather awful, the backgrounds in a game such as Chrono Cross or the PSX Final Fantasies look amazing to this day.

Now, we have graphics that basically look prerendered from the models to the backgrounds. The above screen really reminds me of Chrono Trigger.

BTW, who is doing the music for this game?

Wunderchu

kevm3 said:
This next gen is getting me back interested in rpgs froma visual standpoint. I believe rpg visuals took a hit on the ps2 xbox generation in terms of overall visuals compared to the psx generation which had prerendered backgrounds. The models looked a lot better, but came nowhere near those prerendered backgrounds. Even though the character models looked rather awful, the backgrounds in a game such as Chrono Cross or the PSX Final Fantasies look amazing to this day.

Now, we have graphics that basically look prerendered from the models to the backgrounds. The above screen really reminds me of Chrono Trigger.

BTW, who is doing the music for this game?
Nobuo Uematsu :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Is there a list anywhere of who the Seiyuus are for that game? I think I recognize a few voices but I'd like to be sure.

Captain N

Blimblim said:
I already preordered the 360 bundle with that game for a friend :)

I want to do it at NCSX, but they told me they don't know how much it'll cost yet. I don't want to pay the shipping from play-asia.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Thanks!
Ayako Kawasumi, god damn I love her voice :)

Oh yeah, Norio Wakamoto is Nene the main villain. Trying to identify the other voices now.

Zora might be voiced by Houko Kuwashima. No idea who does Jiro and Marumaro.

Edit: Ah someone on 2ch says Jiro is voiced by Kouki Miyata and Marumaro is Chika Sakamoto.

BBunny

duckroll said:
Oh yeah, Norio Wakamoto is Nene the main villain. Trying to identify the other voices now.

Edit: Ah someone on 2ch says Jiro is voiced by Kouki Miyata and Marumaro is Chika Sakamoto.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:

Wow, that's a really good casting. Is it Ayako Kawasumi first game?
Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue! I guess this is not really her first game, though she mostly did anime->games voices and a few visual novels. I hadn't realized she was Kokoro's voice in DOA4. So Itagaki managed to get her and Sakamoto Maaya for DOAX and then DOA4. He must have a big budget for the voices!

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Wow, that's a really good casting. Is it Ayako Kawasumi first game?
Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue! I guess this is not really her first game, though she mostly did anime->games voices and a few visual novels. I hadn't realized she was Kokoro's voice in DOA4. So Itagaki managed to get her and Sakamoto Maaya for DOAX and then DOA4. He must have a big budget for the voices!

Voice actors are really cheap in Japan though, I doubt it's even an issue of the budget. Don't forget, Ayako is singing a vocal song for Blue Dragon too!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
Voice actors are really cheap in Japan though, I doubt it's even an issue of the budget. Don't forget, Ayako is singing a vocal song for Blue Dragon too!
Awesome! She doesn't really sing well, but still :)

Since I am not privileged to start a new thread, I am posting this detail about Hironobu Sakaguchi interview. It is from Game Informer.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200610/N06.1009.1459.29238.htm

There aren’t a lot of large battle scenes in Lost Odyssey...

GI: The trailer featured a very large scale battle, will we see a lot of massive army battles or will it switch gears over to smaller conflicts like three-on-three, for example?

Sakaguchi: There aren’t a lot of large battle scenes. It’s primarily five-on-five, or something of that nature. You get to control a team of five characters and carry on the battles.

About Blue Dragon:

GI: Switching over to Blue Dragon, you spoke at the Microsoft press conference about trying to portray emotion to the player. Your stated goal is to get players to cry upon completion of the game. How have you worked with the storyline to create a lot of these moments in the overall dramatic presentation?

Sakaguchi: The storyline is very deep. Each character his or her own story and emotion around that. But my intent is to have players make a choice. So when Kluke is suffering there’s a lot of grief around it. Gamers can actually go shopping instead of helping her out. There are actually a lot of choices presented before the gamer. You need to make the right choice or choose the way you want it. So there’s a high level of interactivity in the game to allow you to really be immersed in that storyline.

GI: Does this mean that players will be able to go through the game multiple times and make different crucial choices in regards to the characters and the events around them?

Sakaguchi: Let’s just take Kluke, for example. There are two characters trying to win the heart of Kluke and each character is embarking on creating a special ring for her. She is free to choose whomever. Now each character, apparently boys, try to create the ring with the intention of protecting her with some sort of magic charm. But there’s a situation where Kluke says, “Oh, that’s useless.”

You actually put in a lot of time and resources. There area a lot of items that you can use to create the ring, and you put so much emotion and time into making the ring, and then she shoots you down. Creating a ring is one thing. But actually involving a character in the overall creation of the ring, that’s where there are many ways of experiencing the emotion of the character. So it’s not just a collective effort where you make the ring, but actually gauge the response of Kluke from what you do.

GreekWolf

GI: Switching over to Blue Dragon, you spoke at the Microsoft press conference about trying to portray emotion to the player. Your stated goal is to get players to cry upon completion of the game.
Not me! I won't cry. Not unless they fail to get this to the states in Q1 2007 :(

GreekWolf said:
Not me! I won't cry. Not unless they fail to get this to the states in Q1 2007 :(
I thought Lost Odyssey was the game that was supposed to make us cry.

Meh, well, this game is beautiful enough to make you want to cry. :D

GreekWolf

Vigo the Carpathian said:
AMAZING!!!!!
When I look at that picture, what I see is the perfect realization/evolution of Chrono Trigger for the next generation. Except that this time, Uematsu isn't just composing half the soundtrack but the entire score. And that makes me a very happy camper

GreekWolf said:
When I look at that picture, what I see is the perfect realization/evolution of Chrono Trigger for the next generation. Except that this time, Uematsu isn't just composing half the soundtrack but the entire score. And that makes me a very happy camper

I don't think Chrono Trigger would have had half as great a score as it did if Uematsu had have done the whole thing. But seeing as he seems genuinely enthused about composing for the first time in ages, his involvement will not soften my loins in the slightest.

I was pleased that Dragon Quest VIII looked as close to a 3D realization of that old style as it did, but this is even more impressive. I think we're just about there in terms of being able to totally recreate the classic 2D styles in 3D, and it makes me ecstatic.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Considering the quality they are not worth their own topic, so here are some cellphone photos of the latest Shonen Jump:
748_0001.jpg

748_0002.jpg

From Feyn on my forum:
Photo.1
The upper part
Xbox360 core system + BlueDragon set , Sale decision , 29800yen(Including tax)

The left under
You can put the barrier that is called "Bari-baria".
You can defeat the enemy whose level is lower than I without combatting by the
power of the barrier.
Please raise your shadow fast by this method, and obtain the technique.

Photo2
Let’s defeat the enemy ,
by the power of a powerful shadow.

MirageDwarf said:
There aren’t a lot of large battle scenes in Lost Odyssey...

Well good. Because this ain't ****ing Dynasty warriors. Large battle scenes should be few and memorable, not tons and repetitive. :)

Baryn

Banned
Yoboman said:
Why is everyone so amazed with this?
I think they're excited because we've only seen battles and cutscenes previously. The first town shot was very nice, but this looks worse than DQ8.

[edit] Actually, it's about as good as DQ8.

Baryn said:
I think they're excited because we've only seen battles and cutscenes previously. The first town shot was very nice, but this looks worse than DQ8.

[edit] Actually, it's about as good as DQ8.

You owe me a new keyboard.

Top Bottom