• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Body of assassinated Russian diplomat used in Telltale's Batman game.

whyman

This is really not such a big deal as you guys want it to be.

-A placeholder made it into the game
-Telltale will appologize
-Telltale will replace the image
-People will move on with their lives

No it really is that big of a deal if you are Russian. Imagine a game using a picture of one of the people killed by the terrorist in Las Vegas... yea, no apology would help.

M3d10n

A lesson for game artists everywhere: do not use Google Images results on your work. Sign up for a stock photo service. Unless the image is explicitly labeled as public domain, it's copyrighted.

RRockman

Banned
A lesson for game artists everywhere: do not use Google Images results on your work. Sign up for a stock photo service. Unless the image is explicitly labeled as public domain, it's copyrighted.

Lol I learned this in high school. People really need to pay attention.

GlamFM

Banned
No it really is that big of a deal if you are Russian. Imagine a game using a picture of one of the people killed by the terrorist in Las Vegas... yea, no apology would help.

This just in - Russia does not give a fuck.

This is just misguided forum outrage.

An apology is needed, but an apology will also suffice.

It's pretty poor and can be the result of an honest mistake.

Telltale need to address it and apologise to this man's family. If my dad/uncle/brother was murdered and his dead body was in a game I would be livid, regardless if it was "just a mistake" or not.

Bsigg12

Looks like they Googled for a man dead on the floor and thought this was a stock photo. I can absolutely see that being the case and not something nefarious but damn it's a terrible oversight. They should get it patched quickly.

M3d10n

are they allowed to do that? because morally this isnt right.

Even if it wasn't a picture of a dead body, it's still a copyrighted picture that they didn't obtain the rights to use on their game. It's just that being a picture of a dead body that was all over the news last year make it very obvious.

The Hermit

Good advice.

But the photo in the OP really looked like a stock photo/movie scene. Hardly an excuse but amusing nonetheless.

Kyzer

Banned

Yeah I guess developers photoshopping corpses of public officials into a Batman game is pretty normal if you think about it

What a strange post. Think if you were a family member or friend. To use this as a placeholder, at all at any point in development, is an incredibly strange decision.

Nephix

"If he's not German I don't care"

Nightbird

Tbh, if you showed me this picture 10 Minutes ago without any context I would have thought it was a promo shot from a movie.

But it being from an actual crime scene makes this a whole new level of fucked up...

Really? Was pretty huge last year considering the current geo-political climate of Turkey. The photojournalist won multiple awards for the pictures.

Dead body in picture, but this is the picture that won the award.
b3990057e60a0b6e086ab644a52a3f94
What happened to this guy? (The man with the pistol)

Nephix

You're being pretty ridiculous right now.

"This just in - Russia does not give a fuck."

Does sound pretty much like he takes the stance that because it has to do with Russians, eh it doesn't matter because Russia don't care.

Call me wrong but that's the impression I'm getting, done derailing the thread in any case.
Maybe I care too much having family in Russia ( among other places ).
"What the fuck does your family in Russia, have to do with this diplomat?" - I care mostly because it's another human being but also because he's from Russia. If something happens in your country or related to it do you not tend to react?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
are they allowed to do that? because morally this isnt right.

I doubt they give a shit about morals, they're busy pumping out 5 different episodic games at the same time. At worse, they'll apologize and try to save face and the most trouble they're likely to get into is for using that image without approval since it's not a stock photo.

"This just in - Russia does not give a fuck."

Does sound pretty much like he takes the stance that because it has to do with Russians, eh it doesn't matter because Russia don't care.

Call me wrong but that's the impression I'm getting, done derailing the thread in any case.
Maybe I care too much having family in Russia ( among other places ).

What the fuck does your family in Russia, have to do with this diplomat?

benzopil

This just in - Russia does not give a fuck.

This is just misguided forum outrage.

An apology is needed, but an apology will also suffice.
Our government invents so many absurd laws every day that this shit can escalate really quickly if they discover this. They are blocking VPNs and try to ban bitcoins for example.

Every gaming website here posted news about this accident.

For sure, I'm not defending the use of the image. Yes, it was a huge oversight on Telltales part. Yes, I heard about the shooting when it happened, though I never saw any images of the dead body. For example if someone was to show me that image alone with no context, I would think it was a stock photo or something. It's the angle of the shot and the weird empty space of the area it took place in.

Again. I'm not saying it's okay. It's a HUGE oversight by Telltale. I'm also totally astonished how it got past art approval.

GlamFM

Banned
Our government invents so many absurd laws every day that this shit can escalate really quickly if they discover this. They are blocking VPNs and try to ban bitcoins for example.

Every gaming website here posted news about this accident.

Sure, this is why an apology is absolutely needed. I just don’t think it’s such a big deal. All the gaming websites will report on something different tomorrow and we will move on.

Sure, this is why an apology is absolutely needed. I just don’t think it’s such a big deal. All the gaming websites will report on something different tomorrow and we will move on.

No I'm pretty sure this is the end of Telltale, they'll never make another game again.

Content aside, would using a portion of this image fall under fair use based on the modifications to the source material?

I am just wondering if the photographer would be within their rights to sue for compensation.

Copyright laws are so tricky.

shandy706

Wow, that shot of the crime scene and the gunman are eerily artistic.

I get how someone wouldn't know it was an actual death scene.

Always check your sources....always.

sjay1994

I shouldn't be...

But I am laughing at the absolute fucking absurdity that Telltale did this.

Like, holy shit the tastelessness of this feels like a parody.

Top Bottom