• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN:Russians believed they would be able to use Michael Flynn to influence Trump

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've been raving to people about this tweet, and nobody remembers it in light of all the other dumbass, incriminating tweets. This one right here. This shows he knew exactly what Flynn was doing.
It was a fairly big deal at the time, most people thought that was some real smoke right there.

Here's my general thoughts on Trump's place in this:

Trump had no direct role in the collusion. Flynn and others, including Kushner, were the ones talking to the Russians and colluding with them. They likely told Trump the general gist of this stuff and about some of the people they were meeting like Kislyak, but not the finer details of what was going on.

Trump didn't think anything of this and legitimately believed it was a good thing.

I legitimately believe Trump is too dumb to have been involved in the actual minutiae of this and that he probably has never understood the collusion aspect of it.

Guess it's peepee tape time

Kusagari

but then you get into the the obstruction of justice

the well established connections between trump and the russian oligarchs

trump meeting putin and references conversations they had and then years later claiming he did no such thing... it goes on and on and on and on

honestly there's just so much shit between him and russia that it's FAR more likely he's complicit than it all being one big coincidence.

I mean he technically is complicit based off what I'm theorizing.

He's just too stupid to realize it.

Did some of y'all think we'd actually see a direct communication from Trump to the Russians? An email from DTrump addressed to VPutin? It was always going to be about the intermediaries, and how they got played a role in getting the information to him.

"I was too dumb to realize I was committing treason" is not a valid legal defense no matter how you slice it.

Trump colluded with Russia. His connections to Russia go backup the 80s, years more than his associates. And these are oligarchs tied to Putin and Russian organized crime(often same thing). He's repeatedly lied and downplayed these too.

He told his Russian handlers in the Oval Office why he fired Comey while BSing the public.

And finally there's this:

https://youtu.be/gNa2B5zHfbQ

I will be stunned if it was only his associates.

Yet this is the guy Trump wants nearby more than anybody else.

Agreed with Kusagari though.

I think this might be true, but when combined with the reactions towards Comey, his leaking of intelligence, and many other snafus, I highly doubt he won't be considered legally complicit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Trump had no direct role in the collusion. Flynn and others, including Kushner, were the ones talking to the Russians and colluding with them. They likely told Trump the general gist of this stuff and about some of the people they were meeting like Kislyak, but not the finer details of what was going on.

Trump didn't think anything of this and legitimately believed it was a good thing.

I legitimately believe Trump is too dumb to have been involved in the actual minutiae of this and that he probably has never understood the collusion aspect of it.

Eh, my hot take: I more or less agree with you, except I think Trump knew what he was doing was "bad" and "illegal" because he's behaved that way in literally thousands of dealings. He definitely doesn't understand any nuance, otherwise he wouldn't keep blurting out incriminating statements every ten minutes. I think that he has mostly relied on tax and other lawyers for petty nickel and diming of contractors, debtors and investors and has no idea how criminal law works, because everything he's touched to date is civil law.

He probably thought that even if he got caught arms deep in the cookie jar, that he could just settle or countersue, which is all he's ever done.

The Putin manipulation of America? If he gave that any thought at all, he probably thought he was smarter than Putin and that it didn't matter because he has such a tremendous brain he couldn't be out-dealed.

And I think he was directly involved in the collusion and didn't understand the layering or knock on effects because he's genuinely as stupid as fuck and has been constantly enabled his entire life.

The way he spoke to Billy Bush is a good insight into how intelligent this person truly is.

The more I find out about Jared though, the more I think he's the intellectual heir apparent to the Trump empire.

shiba5

Again:

VtCfV1f.jpg

He was absolutely in on it. He may not have had direct communications, but he was in on it. Not even getting into how he said he wanted Russians to hack Hillary's emails.

So much shit has happened I can't remember the time line, but had it been proven yet that Russia had hacked the DNC when he said that?

Eh what? Why are people so fixed if he was involved in the minute of it all? He does not need to be. Not being involved in the macro level of it all won't absolve him of guilt. He is a raging fucking idiot. But a raging fucking idiot can also be aware of on the broadest sense what was going on and simply not put a stop to it. A single yes to a deal or meeting or communique that can be seen as illegal as hell can show he was aware.

Simply knowing what was going on, even if he was light of the details, simply being told that yes, the Russians can help and they do want to do a deal, can we go ahead of it and him saying yes, is enough to fuck him over. Him agreeing that yeah, lets work with the Russians but don't bother him with the details, don't bother him with updates even if they involve him and don't bother him with any shady stuff as just make him benefit from all of this can be seen and proven as a direct link.

It could be that 'ah fuck it it'll make me richer who cares about legalities when I'm the fucking president ' proves complicity and knowledge of something shady as hell was going on.

Trump never thinks ahead, about details or of the consequencess, this week has proven that. To him, just get it fucking done and make it benefit me is good enough.

Shadybiz

At this point in time, I pretty much agree. I definitely think that some of his campaign people and cabinet members have been influenced....but the more I see of Trump in action...the more I think that he's just a stupid idiot who has no real grasp of what's actually going on. Time and evidence will tell, I guess.

RoKKeR

I think this might be true, but when combined with the reactions towards Comey, his leaking of intelligence, and many other snafus, I highly doubt he won't be considered legally complicit.
Also true. The way he has acted with regards to meddling in the investigation is highly suspect and may potentially be his downfall.

At this point in time, I pretty much agree. I definitely think that some of his campaign people and cabinet members have been influenced....but the more I see of Trump in action...the more I think that he's just a stupid idiot who has no real grasp of what's actually going on. Time and evidence will tell, I guess.

Unfortunately "I didn't know it was illegal" isn't a defense, and it's the best Trump's got right now.

The thing that stands in the way of this is consistency. Every single time Russia or Putin is mentioned Trump speaks positively. If he was really in the dark that consistency wouldn't exist. IMO he was definitely in on it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
People actually think Trump didn't know what his own son in law or security advisor were doing? He appointed them and has shown every indication of knowing what was going on, as well as multiple attempts to stop any investigation. The guy is the dodgiest fucker on the planet.

Shadybiz

Unfortunately "I didn't know it was illegal" isn't a defense, and it's the best Trump's got right now.

Absolutely, yes. He's the President....Presidents are supposed to know how the law works. You can't do a "Chip" and say "I'm sorry FBI Director I....didn't know I couldn't do that."

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's over for Trump. If he doesn't resign tommorow, he just looks like an asshole.

You don't actually want him to resign right now. You just think you do. If Trump resigns, Pence becomes president, and you would have the exact same general agenda in the administration except it would be led by an actual vaguely competent politician who is actually mentally capable of handling the basic day-to-day functions of the job (not to mention being able to weather the storm of these investigations without going on random contradictory Twitter tirades).

What you ACTUALLY want is for Trump to stubbornly but impotently cling to power for as long as he can. The longer he's there and the more unhinged he becomes in defending or refuting the allegations and investigations against him, the more likely he is to drag everyone down with him, including Pence and other members of his inner circle.

Of course, you'd still end up with President Paul Ryan out of that...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
People actually think Trump didn't know what his own son in law or security advisor were doing? He appointed them and has shown every indication of knowing what was going on, as well as multiple attempts to stop any investigation. The guy is the dodgiest fucker on the planet.

Seriously. The fact that he's getting the benefit of this sort of doubt is bothering. Its certainly the next line of argument from his base, not suggesting anyone offering this line of thought is a Trump supporter though. I just don't believe it.

Smellycat

This is good and bad. Good because Flynn is now definitely going down. Bad, because this makes it seem like Trump really is clueless about all of this o_O

Mark L

Can anyone give me the background of the Trump two scoops thing? It's kind of driving me nuts that I don't know

I wonder if they're setting up Flynn as the fall guy.

I'd believe that if Trump hadn't spent every mention of his name since his firing defending him, urging people to stop investigating him and overall denying he ever did anything wrong. Since Flynn's firing, this administration has somehow managed to padlock and chain themselves to the guy 100s of times over.

Lo-Volt

Can anyone give me the background of the Trump two scoops thing? It's kind of driving me nuts that I don't know

I kid you not, the president gets more scoops of ice cream then guests when they are served in the White House. He gets two, everyone else gets one.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
When having dinners in the White House trump insists that he get two scoops of ice cream while everyone else can only have one.

Top Bottom