• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Booted up Steam for time in months and checked the new releases....WTF

luulubuu

I get the impression valve seems to get away with anything.

As someone pointed out: if MS or Sony had this on there store as a “new and trending” game they would headline news

Some of them also go very weirdly personal about any complaints you could have about ANY services like this; Origin, Bnet, Eshop... All of them have some weird fanbase going on.

Durante

Yeah. Fuck the user for clicking a tab that Steam puts on the main page for good reason.
The user isn't "fucked".
They just might see a few shitty games.
Like they might see shitty movies by seeking out an unfiltered movie list, or shitty books by seeking out an unfiltered book list.

The fact that there is some kind of expectation in games for our content providers to also serve as content quality filters among some is the aberration here, compared to any other entertainment medium.

Some hardcore defending of steam going on here. And I'm a steamboy myself.
I'm not specifically "defending" Steam.
I'm championing a philosophy of user choice over dictated decisions.

Actually? Nothing. It seems that some people, which I guess their take as valuable as the rest, is that Steam is a direct store with automatic systems; you pay the Steam Direct whatever and you sell whatever you want.

People are, and without any kind of complain from my side, the freedom of buying whatever they want and, not so cool, saying that if you don't like it, you should ignore it.

This kind of attitude is not only toxic
What is "toxic" about believing that people are capable of making their own choices on which games to buy, and appreciating a system designed to facilitate that process?

Is this what you get for having a free storefront?
Yes.

Nev

Banned
All aboard the Valve hating thread.

I've never, ever seen a shitty game like this in my frontpage. In fact everything tends to be just old games and the usual sale.

I get that shitting on Steam, the most pro-consumer platform by far, is the fotm, but please make better effort.

Well I did ignore it but it left me asking more questions. Such as: how does a multimillion dollar corporation get away with putting shit like this on their store.

Do they not have any quality control? Is this what you get for having a free storefront?

Why would I want someone to control it when I can filter stuff myself? It's easy to avoid stuff like this, and I'd rather not have someone else deciding what games are available for me to purchase because there's always the risk that a game I'd enjoy doesn't get through because someone else deems it unworthy.

And to stop this Valve fanboy nonsense, here's my steam profile

nG71Z9A.png

I barely use Steam, only very occasionally for some indie exclusive or something. My opinion would be exactly the same if this were on PSN or XBL and they had the same level of self-curation tools that steam offers.

luulubuu

I've never, ever seen a shitty game like this in my frontpage. In fact everything tends to be just old games and the usual sale.

I get that shitting on Steam, the most pro-consumer platform by far, is the fotm, but please make better effort.

Who is shitting on Valve though

In that case shouldn't murder simulators like pubg, gta, payday and counter strike be filtered out as well? You would probably have to censor most of the games released on the store.

I hope you forgot the /s
I really do.

What is "toxic" about believing that people are capable of making their own choices on which games to buy, and appreciating a system designed to facilitate that process?

That the company that you are defending in every single thread gets profit from a game that parodies one of the highest causes of death in the world ? Maybe???

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I get that shitting on Valve, the most pro-consumer platform by far, is the fotm, but please make better effort.

That's kinda missing the point, is it? The main issue here is after all, the fact that a game called SUICIDE (and ISIS) Simulator is available for purchase in STEAM and that Valve will profit if anyone purchase it, that's it.

I'm not specifically "defending" Steam.
I'm championing a philosophy of user choice over dictated decisions.

There's a happy medium though. Giving users choice should not, under any circumstances, forego company responsibility. Ever. A multi-billion dollar company should not operate in that way, and there are ways for them to act responsibly while also adhering to consumer choice. You're being overtly black and white about this.

Mifec

That the company that you are defending in every single thread gets profit from a game that parodies one of the highest causes of death in the world ? Maybe???

Except Durante isn't a corporate ballwasher and isn't defending a company? He's talking about the openness of a marketplace on an open platform.

That's kinda missing the point, is it? The main issue here is after all, the fact that a game called SUICIDE (and ISIS) Simulator is available for purchase in STEAM and that Valve will profit if anyone purchase it, that's it.

And Vita has some pretty questionable games too like "torturing underage girls to like you".

Somehow no one actually said that its bad that Sony profits from that, people attacked the quality and morality of the game, but never if Sony profits from it. And you can find that game on the PSN store easily too.

You have Gal*Gun2 soon on PS4 and Vita too, a game that lets high-school underage girls and "loli" girls orgasm when you shoot at them.

Nev

Banned
There's nothing wrong with a game called Suicide Simulator being sold.

It'll obviously be garbage but I see no reason to remove it, just don't buy it.

Now the ISIS one I don't think Valve has even seen it and will be put down soon enough.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
And Vita has some pretty questionable games too like "torturing underage girls to like you".

Somehow no one actually said that its bad that Sony profits from that, people attacked the quality and morality of the game, but never if Sony profits from it.

You have Gal*Gun2 soon on PS4 and Vita too, a game that lets high-school underage girls and "loli" girls orgasm when you shoot at them.

So I suppose two wrongs make a right? Whataboutism...? I mean, no one is actually forbidding you to make a thread complaining about Sony doing that, if you wish.

luulubuu

Except Durante isn't a corporate ballwasher and isn't defending a company? He's talking about the openness of a marketplace on an open platform.

In this context he is defending this practise over the basic ethics and I have seen him in other threads defending Steam no matter what, not so long ago in the review bomb solution thread. So yeah, except me to have some kind of record of what do I expect when talking to him, that's all.

And you are all missing the point, openess or whatever, this is not cool at any level, you can't either tell me to ignore either I can tell you what to do, it's on Valve side to commit a solution for this kind of content, that's all what I'm saying, not a censorship, not wall garden your pool of choices by external decision, any of that. Just maybe in the middle?

Lord Phol

I hope you forgot the /s
I really do.

Nope I just think it's hypocritical condemning something like this while approving of games where your object is to murder others, commit terrorism and armed robbery. Not to mention the torture scene in GTA.

So I suppose two wrongs make a right? Whataboutism...? I mean, no one is actually forbidding you to make a thread complaining about Sony doing that, if you wish.

I am not. I am just thinking that this thread is more like a thread to shit on Valve for something most people wont even see.
Look at all the screenshots in this thread and you can see most people dont even see that game on the front page.

It is not the first thread like that, mind you.

Mifec

In this context he is defending this practise over the basic ethics and I have seen him in other threads defending Steam no matter what, not so long ago in the review bomb solution thread. So yeah, except me to have some kind of record of what do I expect when talking to him, that's all.

And you are all missing the point, openess or whatever, this is not cool at any level, you can't either tell me to ignore either I can tell you what to do, it's on Valve side to commit a solution for this kind of content, that's all what I'm saying, not a censorship, not wall garden your pool of choices by external decision, any of that. Just maybe in the middle?

But you're the one completely in the wrong about the review bombing thing in that thread. Everyone against it/saying it wasn't enough was demonstrably proven wrong by Hektor with actual examples.

I think people should report those games and Valve should terminate the Steam Direct deal that they have with the responsible companies for these games.
I don't think the whole process how a game gets to Steam should be changed for this.

luulubuu

Somehow no one actually said that its bad that Sony profits from that, people attacked the quality and morality of the game, but never if Sony profits from it. And you can find that game on the PSN store easily too.

Fun enough, even if I do agree to some extent to whatever this is, both games mentioned are also on steam. So, what now?

Nope I just think it's hypocritical condemning something like this while approving of games where your object is to murder others, commit terrorism and armed robbery. Not to mention the torture scene in GTA.

false equivalencies

But you're the one completely in the wrong about the review bombing thing in that thread. Everyone against it/saying it wasn't enough was demonstrably proven wrong by Hektor with actual examples.

I might be completely on the wrong since you seem to enjoy highlight stuff, but that has Nothing to do with this issue and what Hektor demostrates is the utility and how the tools can work, and that's cool and I take back some of the stuff however, I still have to see if that will not be a problem in the long run

Fun enough, even if I do agree to some extent to whatever this is, both games mentioned are also on steam. So, what now?

Im not the one criticising the lack of curation.
I am okay with all kind of games on Steam, if they dont promote hate-speech and I agree that hate-speech games shouldnt be on Steam. The thing is that most people wont even see them as shown by posters in that thread.

Its more like the attitude thats often encountered in those threads where people are "shocked" about a Isis simulator or Suicide Simulator on Steam, while stuff like Gal*Gun and "Prison torturing little girls" dont raise an eye about Sony curation.

it's on Valve side to commit a solution for this kind of content,

And they have, by giving you the options to filter what content you see. Use them and this problem goes away entirely. If you're not interested in seeing shitty simulator games, then block games with the simulator tag. You'll never see a game like this again, and the people who do want to see them (for some inexplicable reason) can.

Chao

I really hate this App Store / steam era of where any idiot can submit some shitty flash game to a platform a call him/herself a developer.

Hektor

There's nothing wrong with a game called Suicide Simulator being sold.

It'll obviously be garbage but I see no reason to remove it, just don't buy it.

Now the ISIS one I don't think Valve has even seen it and will be put down soon enough.

I have the stellar opposite opinion about it heh.

A "suicide simulator" could be legitimately harmful if it promotes suicide towards people at risk.

Isis sim on the other hand isn't really any different to recent medal of honor, call of duty or battlefield games that all had you should at middle eastern people. Just that this one is lacking a million dollar marketing budget or production value

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I cant believe that some people here actually defend Valve for allowing games like suicide simulator and isis simulator on sale on the store.

It doesnt matter if they are on the front page or not for goodness' sake.

luulubuu

I am okay with all kind of games on Steam, if they dont promote hate-speech and I agree that hate-speech games shouldnt be on Steam. The thing is that most people wont even see them as shown by posters in that thread.

Its more like the attitude thats often encountered in those threads where people are "shocked" about a Isis simulator or Suicide Simulator, while stuff like Gal*Gun and "Prison torturing little girls" dont raise an eye about Sony curation.

Problem is that the games are not on steam or not, the problem is that Valve doesnt really care about one side or another and the automatation system has flaws, like come on, is totally understable that some stuff, no matter how good a system could be, it will have some of this stuff in some degree.

As somone has pointed, self wall garden might be the solution but theres a problem, having the game pointed by the OP;

NBgLieY.png

I guess I could mute memes and thats it because the rest of the tags are pretty common (maybe not satire)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Its more like the attitude thats often encountered in those threads where people are "shocked" about a Isis simulator or Suicide Simulator on Steam, while stuff like Gal*Gun and "Prison torturing little girls" dont raise an eye about Sony curation.

I think what the ones criticizing Valve on this thread are mainly complaining about is not that 'only some will see it' but rather 'it is there in the first place'

Also, you're generalizing. Plenty of people are having issues with platform like Vita allowing games like that to be sold in it, heck it's one of the chief reasons why Vita has a bad reputation as an Otaku console.

Problem is that the games are not on steam or not, the problem is that Valve doesnt really care about one side or another and the automatation system has flaws, like come on, is totally understable that some stuff, no matter how good a system could be, it will have some of this stuff in some degree.

I totally get that. I wouldnt cry if Valve removes those and I could kinda see them removing Isis Simulator sooner or later.

Its just we have those threads monthly about shitty or "questionable" games on Steam and people shitting on Valve while I see stuff like C**** G*** or Gal*Gun on PSN with (imo) even more questionable content and it doent raise an eyebrow (I know whataboutism).

I am totally for more curation from Valves side. I just dont want the situation back before curation though, where Valve decided Visual Novels arent games, wouldnt allow Oil Blue on Steam, where casual games werent allowed etc.

I think what the ones criticizing Valve on this thread are mainly complaining about is not that 'only some will see it' but rather 'it is there in the first place'

Also, you're generalizing. Plenty of people are having issues with platform like Vita allowing games like that to be sold in it, heck it's one of the chief reasons why Vita has a bad reputation as an Otaku console.

People have problems with the games, not that Sony is making the 30% cut with it. In this thread though most people argue that Valve is making money by those games.

The arguments here are: Valve is making money with every sold copy of that shitty game.
The arguments about Vita games are: They are disgusting.

Maxirugi

So what's the problem with the ISIS Simulator game? (Other than it looking pretty terrible)

The description sounds like it's just an FPS where ISIS are the bad guys. By that extension you might as well complain about something like Wolfenstein being on there.

Is it just the title?

Deepo

I've been playing Witcher 3 lately, and since that's tagged with "Story-Rich", I'm getting an avalanche of recommendations for Anime Tiddy VNs, since a lot of them share the tag.

I've now clicked "Not Interested" on enough to stop them showing up as much, and I've muted the "Memes" tag, but I can see why people just browsing casually can have a bad time on Steam.

luulubuu

So what's the problem with the ISIS Simulator game? (Other than it looking pretty terrible)

The description sounds like it's just an FPS where ISIS are the bad guys. By that extension you might as well complain about something like Wolfenstein being on there.

Is it just the title?

Main difference Wolfenstein takes place in a very obvious what if scenario with almost cartoonish characters and violence

I totally get that. I wouldnt cry if Valve removes those and I could kinda see them removing Isis Simulator sooner or later.

Its just we have those threads monthly about shitty or "questionable" games on Steam and people shitting on Valve while I see stuff like C**** G*** or Gal*Gun on PSN with (imo) even more questionable content and it doent raise an eyebrow (I know whataboutism).

I am totally for more curation from Valves side. I just dont want the situation back before curation though, where Valve decided Visual Novels arent games, wouldnt allow Oil Blue on Steam, where casual games werent allowed etc.

Oh god, I hope not either, VN are my forbidden pleasures! Thing is I get you but you were generalizing a bit, Vita is infamous about some of the library and I love my Vita and most Vita owners love their Vitas, but that doesn't exceem them from criticism and want them to be better.

I have no the answer for every problem and I'm happy to take back when I'm worng, I think I summarized that well enough.

And I do think they raise eyebrows and concerns but they are not in this subject, but i get your point

I have the stellar opposite opinion about it heh.

A "suicide simulator" could be legitimately harmful if it promotes suicide towards people at risk.

Isis sim on the other hand isn't really any different to recent medal of honor, call of duty or battlefield games that all had you should at middle eastern people. Just that this one is lacking a million dollar marketing budget or production value

Actually, same. There's some fucked up shit going on about that, but that game could be in that same market. Also, thanks a lot for your service the other day, you really took your time to explain and give very good data and deets about the review bomb solution, I still have my concerns but is not as bad as I thought as first.

Zephyx

That's the main problem as always. Moderation of content is subjective to the person deciding what's OK and what isn't. Personally, I don't mind this type of content since I am knowledgeable enough to make a decision whether I want this game or not.

If you are saying you want something in the middle, can you suggest a solution that you think would fit in that? It's a hard task to undertake if you would add a person in the middle since subjectivity would affect the end result. As others have already mentioned, you yourself can filter the content you see to meet your standards so why not do that instead? You are given tools to do exactly what you want yet you refuse to do it since you want the store to do it for you. Meanwhile, you are not thinking about others who unfortunately find pleasure in seeing and playing these kind of games (they can say its just fun for them or w/e). It's just one of the risks of having an open storefront on an open platform.

Deft Beck

Just keep scrolling. Seeing that a bad game is available for sale has really no impact on you.

Why did you bypass the 15 different things on the front page that serve up decent games to go to an unmoderated list of new releases?

Is that how you shop on Amazon or iTunes? Just go to a list of the latest things added to the store regardless of anything else?

This. Confirmation bias at work.

Plus, Steam curates what you see based on your browsing habits.

Carcetti

My front page Steam new releases is full of perverted animu 'games', shitty RPG maker amateur hour trash, and meme games like this. It's like a more expensive Newgrounds. And no, I don't even touch any of these type of games so I don't know why it would even try to push them to me.

luulubuu

A few things, I get your point and I agree, those are the risks to have an open storefront, however I dont think is ethical or cool to Valve to put this without examine the product first, which that could be the easiest solution, a quick human glimpse over the product to see thats the premise, the gameplay and the media content in that.

It will allow maybe adult stuff like PUBG or even erotic games but stuff like direct games about abuse, real world violence and such not to have a place in the store, is maybe not perfect but is the only thing I could think

https://i.imgur.com/rTwyynE.png

Maybe this button not being in the final part of the side bar of the store page could help too

meschio94

Neo Member
i have this

x5b674y.jpg

for me the first 2 games are trash like isis simulator, but a lot of these games have a huge audience, and valve don't want to exclude no one from the store

Obviusly for the profit, is not a Non profit organisation

But for me, i don't saw any trouble in that trash games presence on the store, some people buy them, if someone made a mistake can refound the game after 20 min and you are tottally safe

people have different taste, you can always filter your shop page

Edit:
Now i will add visual noverl tag in my filter

farting

Banned
i don't like the assumption that these are bad games just because of their titles. ever heard of not judging a book on it's cover? yeah.

Shifty

No, he's defending the idea of an open storefront over an arbitrary vetting process. That is not equivalent to turning around and saying "this game is fine".
Nobody in this thread is defending the developer's right to make a buck from satirizing suicide, merely their right to participate in a free market.

A few things, I get your point and I agree, those are the risks to have an open storefront, however I dont think is ethical or cool to Valve to put this without examine the product first, which that could be the easiest solution, a quick human glimpse over the product to see thats the premise, the gameplay and the media content in that.

It will allow maybe adult stuff like PUBG or even erotic games but stuff like direct games about abuse, real world violence and such not to have a place in the store, is maybe not perfect but is the only thing I could think

https://i.imgur.com/rTwyynE.png

Maybe this button not being in the final part of the side bar of the store page could help too

As Zephyx mentioned, moderation systems are subjective. Where exactly do you draw the line between "this game covers suicide in an unacceptable way" and "this game covers suicide and is fine to sell"?

And no, 'a quick human glimpse' doesn't count. That's essentially saying 'use your common sense', which is not an objective thing and will vary based on the person doing the vetting.
There have been plenty of instances of good content being blocked from apple's app store because of association with various sensitive subjects, regardless of how respectfully the subject matter is handled. Neither system is perfect.

I might be completely on the wrong since you seem to enjoy highlight stuff

Petty jabs are not going to strengthen your argument.

Stygr

Banned
This is my front page
NBRBLGO.png

Is this another Steam thread made by console user who wants to bash on Steam like always?

MUnited83

For you.
Why are you folks debating whether it is at the front page in your pc or not? Is it not enough the fact that a game called SUICIDE SIMULATOR (and ISIS SIMULATOR to boot) is available to be purchased in Steam to raise alarm and concern?
Not at all.
Oh no, asset dumps with edgy names. Oh nooooope, someone pls save meeeeeee

c0Zm1c

I check Steam daily, frequently. I heard about Suicide Simulator for the first time just now from seeing this thread. I heard about ISIS Simulator for the first time from a previous NeoGAF thread.

The problem with Steam appears to be NeoGAF. :\

Stygr

Banned
Why are you folks debating whether it is at the front page in your pc or not? Is it not enough the fact that a game called SUICIDE SIMULATOR (and ISIS SIMULATOR to boot) is available to be purchased in Steam to raise alarm and concern?

No i don't care, i don't see that shit on Steam, the first time i've heard about ISIS or SUICIDE SIMULATOR is here, not on Steam.

luulubuu

No, he's defending the idea of an open storefront over an arbitrary vetting process. That is not equivalent to turning around and saying "this game is fine".
Nobody in this thread is defending the developer's right to make a buck from satirizing suicide, merely their right to participate in a free market.

Problem is when you prioritize the right over free market with common and basic decency and wont give any solutions just going on circles forever about the open storefront thing and never adress the thing that valve gets profit out of it
As Zephyx mentioned, moderation systems are subjective. Where exactly do you draw the line between "this game covers suicide in an unacceptable way" and "this game covers suicide and is fine to sell"?

And no, 'a quick human glimpse' doesn't count. That's essentially saying 'use your common sense', which is not an objective thing and will vary based on the person doing the vetting.
There have been plenty of instances of content being blocked from the app store because of association with various sensitive subjects, regardless of how well-handled.

Pretty sure nobody could think about a game that satirizes on suicide could make it, even with the common thing you mentioned, Im just saying that, get to read what I had wrote

Petty jabs are not going to strengthen your argument.

Either clever cut in the whole statement, at least Im not taking personal offense in this, which is pretty sad in my opinion

Top Bottom