• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boruto |OT| Naruto Next Generations

Pein

Banned
it was a good episode, more world building and this time it’s with people outside of the village and that kagura being the next mizukage so it’s nice too see what he’s like. Also way to call kagura and Yagura being related.

The blood on the window was a nice touch too.

LotusHD

Banned
it was a good episode, more world building and this time it’s with people outside of the village and that kagura being the next mizukage so it’s nice too see what he’s like. Also way to call kagura and Yagura being related.

The blood on the window was a nice touch too.

Oh, that was confirmed? Totally missed that, but I assumed as much.

Boruto is a great kid otherwise, people let his issues with his dad get in the way of acknowledging this.

And... he's a KID! Naruto was super dad before becoming the Seventh, now he's coming home late all the time and sending in shadow clones. Peaceful times have allowed the Konoha kids to have kid problems and not the crazy issues Sasuke, Naruto and Neiji grew up with.

I believe the bloodline stuff (Keikengenkai) is basically like the X-men but with clans: so you're from this clan, okay, you get the same power as the rest of the clan.

The families developed their own jutsu and they are very secretive about them but in the end that doesn't mean that other people cannot do those things (which is why the Sharingan is a big deal: they can copy everything that is not a keikengenkai). There's like a pool of techniques everyone know about and can do. Then there are the techniques developed by some families that everyone could potentially learn about but don't because families are very secretive. And finally you have the keikengenkai stuff that nobody outside a clan can do because you need to be born with that characteristic, which is why in general those born within certain families were used as weapons and the reason most of those families have been wiped out in the present.

at least that's my head cannon. Don't know if Kishimoto bothered to explain it.

The thing is the keikengenkai stuff. Boruto and Himewari have a full blooded Hyuga mom, yet neither really has the eyes. One activated it once, the other only in one eye, sorta? So is it not guaranteed to inherit or something? Sarada seemed to inherit it fine, as did all the others we know of.

Likewise, you have the semi bloodline stuff. Garra and his dad have similar powers, but none of his siblings have it. Naruto got none of his moms, and seemingly his dad had nothing to pass on. He doesn't even seem to know his dad's other signature jutsu, despite several others in the village knowing who could have taught him.

It's painfully obvious the author never actually planned any of this out.

In the recent episode Konohamaru said to Sarada that her eyes can copy anything that isn't genetic based and/or advanced.

So it extends beyond just KKG. Mitsuki later tells Boruto that his wind attack is hopefully advanced enough not to copy.

I believe even Kishi said in that interview a few pages back that he scaled own the copy ability since the Zabuza arc since it was too OP.

Khezu

This episode reminded me how lame all the 7 swords turned out to be.

And only Shamada and Zabuzas were cool.

I wonder If Bee still has Shamada, or if he returned in during peace time, or if they just made him an honorary member because he was far better then any of the other losers.

They were aquatinted before the show, Sarada just probably chose not to hang out with him.

You're one of the few sane people here who found the episode good, so I hate to argue with you, but... Why would it be better if they were already close childhood friends? Just so we get more scenes like that? I like seeing their relationship build. I'm pretty sure they already knew each other before the academy btw.

Surely their parents would have spent a lot of time together and therefore pushed them to be friends.

Even if they weren't friends and liked each other the fact they barely know each other bugs me. It seems so unnecessary to have them start at basically square 1 when you'd think they'd have spent a significant time together since childhood, whether that's what they wanted themselves or not.

Surely their parents would have spent a lot of time together and therefore pushed them to be friends.

Even if they weren't friends and liked each other the fact they barely know each other bugs me. It seems so unnecessary to have them start at basically square 1 when you'd think they'd have spent a significant time together since childhood, whether that's what they wanted themselves or not.
When Sarada was bragging about her dojutsu and her 1upping Boruto by surprising him with it when she learns to master it

As if she doesn't know his mother is a main branch member of the oldest dojutsu in Konoha

In the recent episode Konohamaru said to Sarada that her eyes can copy anything that isn't genetic based and/or advanced.

So it extends beyond just KKG. Mitsuki later tells Boruto that his wind attack is hopefully advanced enough not to copy.

I believe even Kishi said in that interview a few pages back that he scaled own the copy ability since the Zabuza arc since it was too OP.

And he gave us the Mangekyou Sharingan to replace it...

Regarding Boruto and Himawari I'd say both of them are half Hyuga... which is kind of the point of Hiashi's plan.

Himawari got traditional Hyuga eyes while Boruto gets a new power from the mixture of his Hyuga and Uzumaki's bloodline.

If Hinata had married a Hyuga her kids would've have more probabilities to inherit the potential to unlock the byakugan. Kishimoto also kind of backpedaled on the byakugan saying all kids need special training in order to unlock it first and that not all Hyuga had the potential. Let's not forget that Obito was a black sheep too because he was like 13 and didn't have the sharingan, and if we trace back to the early chapters of Naruto, Haku's mom had the hope that Haku didn't manifest his keikengenkai; and Kimimaro's keikengenkai was so powerful his own clan imprisoned him like an animal.

I do agree they have to explain things better though.

brinstar

I forget the exact line but I swear early on in the show they did say they knew each other when they were younger. I think they just drifted into different friend groups.

CrazyDude

I forget the exact line but I swear early on in the show they did say they knew each other when they were younger. I think they just drifted into different friend groups.
This is what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dRUw7Z0Lds

Sarada plays it off, but later in the episode she's considered about Boruto when he's fighting Iwabe.

So it just seems life they drifted apart when they got a little bit older.

Ross61

I wonder when Sarada is going to develop feeling for Boruto. It's obvious throughout the movie that she a bit of a crush on Boruto and cares about him. Was that kept in the manga?

And he gave us the Mangekyou Sharingan to replace it...

I heard it was because it was too overwhelming to deal with in a writing sense, not simply because it was OP.

I dunno I feel like they act familiar enough with each other for me. Not complete strangers.

brinstar

This is what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dRUw7Z0Lds

Sarada plays it off, but later in the episode she's considered about Boruto when he's fighting Iwabe.

So it just seems life they drifted apart when they got a little bit older.

Ah yeah ok. Thanks.

And yeah I think that's totally reasonable. As little kids they probably had totally different interests. You can see how Boruto gets along great with Shikadai and Inojin. Sarada was probably a bookworm and kept to herself lol

Sesha

Okay episode. Some decent character building in this, although a lot of the reveals were more dramatic than needed because of how obvious they were.

Kagura was related to Yagura after all, which is good. If this was Shippuden he'd just been some random Mist nin that happened to look like him. Besides just justifying his design, it's a solid bit of world and character building, since he's clearly feeling guilty about the connection. Although it was never cleared up whether or not Obito was to blame for the whole Bloody Mist stuff that he died before the story began. Also, Kagura probably being Yagura's son just makes me sad that he died before the story began. That he died at all, tbh.

Speaking of world-building though, I didn't like the part where they gave Chojuro credit for ending the Bloody Mist era, since that was already over when Mei was Mizukage. I also didn't like the concept of the Swordsmen being the closest to becoming Mizukage. It would mean that some or every Mizukage from 2nd to 5th were former Swordsmen when previously, as far as we knew, Chojuro was the only one turned Mizukage. It feels forced and lazy. The Mist Swordsmen were more interesting as just this random group of elite Jounin with unique swords rather than a tradition of sorts.

Ross61

Okay episode. Some decent character building in this, although a lot of the reveals were more dramatic than needed because of how obvious they were.

Kagura was related to Yagura after all, which is good. If this was Shippuden he'd just been some random Mist nin that happened to look like him. Besides just justifying his design, it's a solid bit of world and character building, since he's clearly feeling guilty about the connection. Although it was never cleared up whether or not Obito was to blame for the whole Bloody Mist stuff that he died before the story began. Also, Kagura probably being Yagura's son just makes me sad that he died before the story began. That he died at all, tbh.

Speaking of world-building though, I didn't like the part where they gave Chojuro credit for ending the Bloody Mist era, since that was already over when Mei was Mizukage. I also didn't like the concept of the Swordsmen being the closest to becoming Mizukage. It would mean that some or every Mizukage from 2nd to 5th were former Swordsmen when previously, as far as we knew, Chojuro was the only one turned Mizukage. It feels forced and lazy. The Mist Swordsmen were more interesting as just this random group of elite Jounin with unique swords rather than a tradition of sorts.
I didn’t feel forced and lazy too me. Most of the Swordsmen were the strongest of the strong. And the strongest become Hokage. They said exactly that.

Sesha

I didn’t feel forced and lazy too me. Most of the Swordsmen were the strongest of the strong. And the strongest become Hokage. They said exactly that.

It felt forced because of the way it was presented. It made it seem like the Mizukage is selected from the Mist Swordsmen. You become a Mist Swordsman, you're one of the candidates to becoming Mizukage. When so far Chojuro is the only one we know of.

I know it seems super played out if Sarada did develop stronger feelings for Boruto but I don't think it'd be the worst thing. The relationship between them now is very different from how Sakura behaved toward Naruto early on...at least I think so.

I also wouldn't mind them to develop a really powerful bond with one another but never really act on it. A bit of an unspoken forbidden thang. Is it weird to talk about this when they're still kids? I don't give AF. Also we must see what these insane genes can develop. Orochimaru will probably get front row seats to the baby delivery because not even he could concoct something that crazy.

Just to chime in on the whole Sharingan copying jutsu thing... Kishi has retconned a lot but he hasn't retconned classification of jutsu: those being jutsu, hidenjutsu/secret techniques, kinjutsu/forbidden techniques and kekkei genkai/bloodline limit.

The Sharingan can copy "generic" jutsu that are performed with hand seals because it can see the way chakra is manipulated and the Sharingan user can simply copy the technique.

Hidenjutsu are secret techniques passed down through clans that don't rely on conventional means of execution, often only using one hand seals like the Nara Shadow Bind, the Akamichi clan Multi-Size, or the Yamanaka clan Mind Body Switch (which uses a technique specific hand seal not seen anywhere else). These techniques are specific to clans and individuals and the Sharingan can't copy these just by look alone.

Kinjutsu are simply forbidden because they're too dangerous, either to the user or those around him. Some of these can be copied, like the Kage Bunshin, and some of these presumably can't since not all of them require hand seals.

Kekkeigenkai are abilities locked solely behind blood lineage like Haku's Ice Release. Though in the movies pre-existing ice and snow can be used for the basis of ice jutsu, the ability to meld wind and water chakra to create it from nothing is not something that can be copied.

There other exceptions like jutsu that may not be secret, forbidden, or locked behind bloodlines like the Rasengan, which are just pure forms of chakra manipulation and thus too difficult to copy. There's also Senjutsu/Sage Techniques that we've seen anyone attempt to copy: my guess is that the techniques can be copied but without the ability to use senjutsu that'd be wholly pointless.

All in all, I think Kishi did an OK job making distinctions in how jutsu are classified. He just did a shitty job with revealing in the involvement Yin (Nara clan techniques) and Yang (Akimichi clan, Konan) elements until the end of the manga although I'd called it for years, but that's a different topic of discussion.

When Sarada was bragging about her dojutsu and her 1upping Boruto by surprising him with it when she learns to master it

As if she doesn't know his mother is a main branch member of the oldest dojutsu in Konoha

The "oldest doujutsu" thing was never confirmed to be an accurate translation was it? If it was, that's just another thing Kishi retconned since we now know the Uchiha literally founded Konoha with the Senju, thus making them the oldest doujutsu in the village.

I dunno I feel like they act familiar enough with each other for me. Not complete strangers.

They're familiar but not as much as I would have expected given the close ties of their parents. If they drifted into different groups as friends, what drove that? It would have been interesting if they maybe got into a fight as kids, or simply disliked each other from the jump for some reason - whatever. Now, early on in the story, would be the right thing time to go over that, rather than the inevitable flashbacks way down the line of the early childhood events we only learn about hundreds of episodes into the story or in a goddamn movie like The Last.

Yado

At their age boys tend to gravitate towards other boys and girls towards girls, I don't think there's any particular reason why they aren't close.

LotusHD

Banned
At their age boys tend to gravitate towards other boys and girls towards girls, I don't think there's any particular reason why they aren't close.

Just realized there was no female equivalent of Sasuke, no super hot/popular girl that all the guys fawned over.

brinstar

Yeah I just figured it was this as well. We see Boruto pal-ing around with his bros and Sarada considers them troublemakers. They'll become closer once they have to work together as a team.

The "oldest doujutsu" thing was never confirmed to be an accurate translation was it? If it was, that's just another thing Kishi retconned since we now know the Uchiha literally founded Konoha with the Senju, thus making them the oldest doujutsu in the village.
I checked out the Viz translation right now and Kakashi says

"They say Sasuke's own Uchiha clan can trace its origins back to the hyuga clan."

so in a sense it is the oldest doujutsu... the Hyuga isn't Konoha's oldest founding clan though.

also know that the byakugan is from Kaguya which is part of the Otsutski clan who are born with the dojutsu. The Sharringan is a genetic mutation passed down from Kaguya's RinneSharringan which she got form eating the chakra fruit/tree.

Not watching this trash series but came to inform as a response to a post a while back that talked about Boruto animation vs Naruto animation.

Naruto had a lot of sakuga from some of the best animators in the industry. Nearly all of them have left since Naruto ended, including the director. There is only one notable animator working on Boruto (well two, but Yamashita is now director and seems less involved).

With respect to the recent Sakura fight:

tumblr_ovuz9iCxoC1qjf3iyo2_540.gif

tumblr_ovuz9iCxoC1qjf3iyo3_540.gif

tumblr_ovuz9iCxoC1qjf3iyo4_540.gif

tumblr_ovuz9iCxoC1qjf3iyo5_540.gif

This part was done by Naoki Kobayashi (Kakashi vs Obito, Sasuke vs Kinshiki) as his farewell piece to the series. I think he chose Sakura to be his send off as he seems to be a fan of her:

Gaiden anime adaptation missed out and changed quite a bit compared to the manga, but I'm glad Sakura got this amazing animation, alongside her scene as a young mother. She deserves it after all SP has put her through.

That's the masterplan to combine all great bloodlines.

That masterplan was done long ago: Uchiha.

The Uchiha is the greatest bloodline in existence. Any other bloodline coming into play would only be a downgrade from what two sharingans can do. Well, unless you want to get the Otsutsuki clan involved.

And no, Indra and Asura chakra which lead to sage of six paths power is not a bloodline.

Khezu

Googled the name and found the dudes twitter.

Crazy Sasuke shipper man is indeed right.

Also the dude who animated it seems very big into comic book movies, which explains the Winter Soldier stuff.

Sesha

Speaking of bloodlines, since Karin could pull the chakra chains out of her tuchus without any training or even indication that she had knowledge of it, the implication would be that the Uzumaki have a bloodline. But since it's Kishi the truth is just that he screwed up.

brinstar

Speaking of bloodlines, since Karin could pull the chakra chains out of her tuchus without any training or even indication that she had knowledge of it, the implication would be that the Uzumaki have a bloodline. But since it's Kishi the truth is just that he screwed up.
Screwed up how? There's nothing saying she couldn't use them before either.

Sesha

Screwed up how? There's nothing saying she couldn't use them before either.

The Uzumaki don't have a bloodline, yet you still have Karin using the chakra chains. Either she researched her lineage and taught herself the chakra chains, or her mother taught it to her. At any rate it was never established that she could use them. She just did when it was convenient.

A highly specialized technique like that warrants a proper explanation for how she came to learn it. And since we haven't gotten one, it leads to the assumption that the Uzumaki have a bloodline. Except we know they don't. Hence the screw-up.

Ross61

The Uzumaki don't have a bloodline, yet you still have Karin using the chakra chains. Either she researched her lineage and taught herself the chakra chains, or her mother taught it to her. At any rate it was never established that she could use them. She just did when it was convenient.

A highly specialized technique like that warrants a proper explanation for how she came to learn it. And since we haven't gotten one, it leads to the assumption that the Uzumaki have a bloodline. Except we know they don't. Hence the screw-up.

What about if it's a clan specialty?

Sesha

Apparently villain guy Shizuma is from the same clan as Kisame.

What about if it's a clan specialty?

Then she'd have to be taught it. And it would still have to be established, like the clan techniques of Chouji, Ino, and Shikamaru.

brinstar

We already know it's not a bloodline ability, because it's listed in the databook as an A-Rank sealing jutsu and a clan specialty one like Shikamaru's. And you just offered two potential completely plausible explanations that don't contradict anything established in the series, so I don't see what the issue is.

Edit: Re-reading the page, Orochimaru does make a comment implying this is her first time using them (or his first time seeing her use them), so either she taught it to herself without his knowing, or "awakened" it which I think is dumber, but it has been seen before with "regular" jutsu, like when Sarada used Sakura's punch unconsciously

Sesha

We already know it's not a bloodline ability, because it's listed in the databook as an A-Rank sealing jutsu and a clan specialty one like Shikamaru's. And you just offered two potential completely plausible explanations that don't contradict anything established in the series, so I don't see what the issue is.

Edit: Re-reading the page, Orochimaru does make a comment implying this is her first time using them (or his first time seeing her use them), so either she taught it to herself without his knowing, or "awakened" it which I think is dumber, but it has been seen before with "regular" jutsu, like when Sarada used Sakura's punch unconsciously

I never accept speculation in lieu of an official explanation either in-canon or through word of God. The issue is it should have been established, and it wasn't. My point never was that it was a bloodline. But that the lack of a set-up for why she can do it, as her having been taught or learned it it was never shown, seemingly leads to the conclusion that it's a bloodline. Like you said, there was nothing saying she couldn't use it. Similarly, there's nothing in the manga that suggests it's not a bloodline. And her using it out of the blue makes it look like one. But we know it's not a bloodline. At the same time, the manga never offered any other explanations or properly set anything up. There-in lies the screw-up.

brinstar

I never accept speculation in lieu of an official explanation either in-canon or through word of God. The issue is it should have been established, and it wasn't. My point never was that it was a bloodline. But that the lack of a set-up for why she can do it, as her having been taught or learned it it was never shown, seemingly leads to the conclusion that it's a bloodline. Like you said, there was nothing saying she couldn't use it. Similarly, there's nothing in the manga that suggests it's not a bloodline. And her using it out of the blue makes it look like one. But we know it's not a bloodline. At the same time, the manga never offered any other explanations or properly set anything up. There-in lies the screw-up.

I see what you're saying. I guess we just disagree on whether or not it warrants an explanation. Personally it didn't bug me.

(Making Karin an Uzumaki in the first place though, I thought was a weird choice. lol)

Top Bottom