• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING! Sony's studio for securing ports: We are working on securing ports!

Cornbread78

Wait, would this include getting Konami to finally make Suikoden VI, with a Vita companion? Or only games that already exist, just not on PS hardware? Can we fight for a new Suikoden?

Sony, all I ask for is Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Yakuza 5, help get those two localize those and you can have my day one money, I'll especially buy a Vita for a compatible version of the former.

Takao

Banned
This news has me hyped. Though I hope the title doesn't indicate the main focus of the mission. (I.e. bring Minecraft to the PS4). Bringing over Yakuza 4 and 5 and Type-0 is not really a porting issue, more of a localization and marketing issue. And that crazy Shenmue talk. That is a new project... Why not throw in Crash as well? Crash is more likely than Shenmue, but still improbable.

With Type-0 it's definitely a porting issue. I will laugh if Square Enix and Sony think it's okay to launch that game as a PSP release in 2014 because that will have meant SE sat on it for almost three years for absolutely nothing.

Videoneon

I love opportunities to bring attention to ports and localization and such, things where momentum comes from fans, but as far as public information is concerned we're not further than we were months ago from Third Party Relations. He routinely says they will announce something later or they are working on something, etc.

The good thing is if you are late to this you can still tweet him with your suggestions.

Also, localize like all of Sega's stuff. Starting with Valkyria Chronicles 3 if no one else is doing it.

Well, there is niche and then there is niche. I think they want to port over stuff that either is:

niche but has a shot at taking off

or

stuff that will sell to a small fanbase that is estimated over a certain size relative to a certain sized budget.

I don't think they will focus on stuff that will only sell say 20,000 units. If it were me, I'd focus on things that had a chance of hitting 100,000 units for games with a certain size budget. For games with a tiny budget, I think you can get away with lowering the bar and doing things as a "thank you" to certain fans because the cost/time sink is enough that you can do it for basically very little effort. But they still have to make back their costs and I just don't see a few of the requests in this thread getting there. The point is to round out the library with less popular games/genres but you don't want to put yourself in the position where you draw in virtually no one.

Nothavingit

Neo Member
67960-8bit-carlton-dance-gif-KDag.gif

cant wait

Personally, I think this division of Sony should stamp each game with a splash screen to make light of the fact that they brought it over. They should have their own "brand" so to speak so that they can cultivate a loyal following of gamers who will buy it just because they ported it - similar to how some gamers buy anything Atlus or Xseed sells.

Takao

Banned
Well, there is niche and then there is niche. I think they want to port over stuff that either is:

niche but has a shot at taking off

or

stuff that will sell to a small fanbase that is estimated over a certain size relative to a certain sized budget.

I don't think they will focus on stuff that will only sell say 20,000 units. If it were me, I'd focus on things that had a chance of hitting 100,000 units for games with a certain size budget. For games with a tiny budget, I think you can get away with lowering the bar and doing things as a "thank you" to certain fans because the cost/time sink is enough that you can do it for basically very little effort. But they still have to make back their costs and I just don't see a few of the requests in this thread getting there. The point is to round out the library with less popular games/genres but you don't want to put yourself in the position where you draw in virtually no one.

Do you think Borderlands 2 Vita is going to sell 100k in the US in 2014? I don't.

Should we be Yakuza begging then?

When Adam Boyes has spoken about this team he's specifically mentioned Yakuza 5 and Type-0 as two games that have received a lot of requests. Of course that doesn't mean that either will happen, but it's clear that they know that we want them.

18-Volt

So we're free to ask whatever port we like? If so I want these to be ported to Vita:

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD
Dark Souls II
Yakuza 5
Tales of Xillia 2
Yaiba Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

The bigger news here is Shinobi banned, when/how did that happen?

On topic I'll take one portion of Type 0 Vita to go please.
On that subject does Square get to sell an international version back to the Japanese paid for by Sony?

The bigger news here is Shinobi banned, when/how did that happen?

On topic I'll take one portion of Type 0 Vita to go please.
On that subject does Square get to sell an international version back to the Japanese paid for by Sony?

Per his Twitter, he self-banned to focus on personal stuff.

dreamfall

I need all the Yakuza games to come Stateside!

Maybe a Red Dead stories tale on the Vita!

And give us a Demon's/Dark Souls unique IP on the Vita!

admartian

I NEED Pares, Please on VITA. Civ on PS4, and a new XCOM game on PS4.

They already made Tropico on PS4 happen.

More strategy games!!!

Moobabe

Do you think Borderlands 2 Vita is going to sell 100k in the US in 2014? I don't.

Ever positive - why just in the US? Why just this year? Why not worldwide? Because it's easier to be so fucking miserable all the time if you use a small group because it proves you "right"?

mdubs

Banned

I do, it's a well regarded IP with mainstream recognition. If something like Call of Duty Vita which got terrible reviews can sell 400K+ in the US, I think there are enough people willing to pick up Borderlands.

I agree with the niche and really niche argument though. Gotta think Sony is gonna be bringing over something like FF Type-0 which is part of a well-known series which has mainstream recognition and has a good chance at selling well by Vita standards rather than a lesser known series that probably won't gain recognition outside of the enthusiast community.

CCIE

Banned
Square RPG's in HD, starting with the recent FFX-X2 port ... I'd pay for every one of them many times over.

Top Bottom