• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit |OT| UK Referendum on EU Membership - 23 June 2016

Did you vote for the side that is going to win?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

ceJudL2.png

I imagine bitcoin is going to surge as well

2MF

The EU is literally its member states. It's not some dictarship handing out decisions to different countries. Except now it will to the UK as we have lost our vote.

In practice, a few countries (especially Germany lately) have most of the power, since European countries vary massively in size.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
My 401k will not be pretty tomorrow. This reminds me of California with the all props. You can't leave something this important to a simple majority vote, It effects too many people.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Now I wonder how this will effect Brits who work with me in Germany, whom I hold very dearly :/

Archer

Look, it sucks, but you can't change the result.

I am DEVASTATED by the result.

Serious question, how easy is it now for a UK citizen to find work in an EU country to find work in light of this decision?

I want off this sinking berg.

Not as easy. The EU won't like UKers as much after today.

Syder

What an utterly idiotic thing to say. You want to ruin the lives off millions of people purely out of spite?
Thank you.

Anyone that comes in this thread hoping the UK folds because barely a majority (52/48) voted one way is the most cuntish and unhelpful thing you could do right now.

BritGAFfers will lose their jobs over this.

Lime

ZBuJKSN.jpg

Good morning UK. In less than an hour, votes from Doncaster will join with votes from Birmingham. And you will be launching the largest drop against the dollar in this history of the british sterling.

Okay thanks for the laugh I really needed it

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Holy shit guys:

The Guardian: Japan’s Nikkei index has slumped by 7%, a loss of over 1,100 points. Worst one-day fall since Fukushima disaster

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's the same bullshit in every country. Old people fucking the next generations over. Taking decisions that WE will have to live with for decades while they only have a few years left on this earth.

Fuck man democracy is the best political system we have but shit like this is infuriating. Old people fucking scared of every bit of change who want shit to always remain the same and can't fucking understand that the world is moving fast and you have to adapt or die.

Was there any other time when the older generation kept voting to burn it all down, or is it just the baby boomers?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Technically yes but he'd likely have a revolution on his hands.

I am dreading the announcements we're going to see from big business in the coming days.

Well now that people can see what may happen economically, wouldn't it be easier for him to say "let's all take a minute here and breath before we do this"?

The EU is literally its member states. It's not some dictarship handing out decisions to different countries. Except now it will to the UK as we have lost our vote.
the bigger countries are over represented and push around the smaller countries

the EU should not be proportional by population, the EU should be every member state is an equal no matter how big or small the country is.

I am not a fan of the way Germany treated Greece mind you

I don't mean to single you out personally, but rather to point out that this is a perfect example of an economically ignorant argument that I'm sure a large number of Leave voters believed - they never got further than "stick it to the banks/the City".

The financial services industry - like it or loathe it - is responsible for a huge segment of Britain's GDP. When it gets hit hard, we all get hit hard. There are untold ripple effects coming out of this.

I'm so worried for the financial services industry in Scotland now - it employs tens of thousands, directly as a result of London being a financial centre.

Isn't it more likely other EU countries are going to follow suit? I think a decade or two from now we will see this as the beginning of the end of the European Union.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm out to lunch and I can overhear this British dude on the phone and he's losing it. This currency thing seems to be screwing him big time.

Striek

We call them Baby Boomers over here.

While my parents are part of that generation, I'll still be delighted when the last Boomer croaks and leaves planet earth. They've been nothing but a scrounge of hyper consumerism and squandering of what the WWII generation left them.

Or maybe they're more politically active voters and workers, with more experience, who know better than 18-24year old kids the decline in real wages and conditions and the hyperinflation of the wealth gap between the haves and haves not, who aren't as easily fed lines to regurgitate on message boards, who don't swallow the nebulous "economy" as the centre of all importance, but actually care about decisions which impact on them?

It's the same bullshit in every country. Old people fucking the next generations over. Taking decisions that WE will have to live with for decades while they only have a few years left on this earth.

Fuck man democracy is the best political system we have but shit like this is infuriating. Old people fucking scared of every bit of change who want shit to always remain the same and can't fucking understand that the world is moving fast and you have to adapt or die.

Isn't voting to leave EU the antithesis of the bolded? Granted, they're still fucking over generations regardless.

carlos

so, any chance this is just a flash crash for the US stock market like a few months ago with the china fears, and it might recover most of t tomorrow after an initial dump?

As a Scot that voted No in the indy ref on the sole basis of Currency and EU uncertainty I am gutted that it looks like we will be leaving the EU.
Now you know how a lot of us Yes voters feel at all the guff Gordon Brown, Cameron, Clegg, Benn et al were spouting before that vote!
So now Scotland will want to leave the UK, and then rejoin the EU, but Spain may try to block them for to dissuade Catalonia from trying anything. It might be a long time before Scotland gets back in.
Our biggest energy company is Spanish. I don't see any hostility coming from them, even with the Catalan situation.
Carlisle is practically Scotland right right?

(Im fully versed on the history of the great border city btw lol)
Scotrail operates to Carlisle so sure, they're welcome here :)

Mung

Or maybe they're more politically active voters and workers, with more experience, who know better than 18-24year old kids the decline in real wages and conditions and the hyperinflation of the wealth gap between the haves and haves not, who aren't as easily fed lines to regurgitate on message boards, who don't swallow the nebulous "economy" as the centre of all importance, but actually care about decisions which impact on them?

No the baby boomers are one of the worst generations in history in so many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom