• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit |OT| UK Referendum on EU Membership - 23 June 2016

Did you vote for the side that is going to win?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All 32 Scottish territories voted remain which I am really proud of, but leave being stronger than expected meant it didn't matter due to how small the Scottish population is compared to England.

Yeah SNP did not mobilise their party machine, they knew and they won. They got a UK leave and large Scotland remain, perfect and that combined with the better in lie, referendum incoming.

This feels even worse then all the times I've watched the toris win.
Thinking of moving away before this comes into effect.

You're not the only one.

We have 2 years apparently, I might move to Ireland.

I feel like drinking till I pass out right now just to escape this nightmare.

bounchfx

You're all talking about racism and immigration ... But was it really all it was about ? Didn't British people vote because of economic or political arguments . Or was it all about borders and immigration control ?

old people being the victims of scare mongering in the form of immigration. gotta fear the OUTSIDERS! It's not like they're people, just like you and me. No, can't have that. They're the reason for our problems *points finger*

at least from what I can gather online. there's definitely more to it but it seems like that was the deciding factor for many

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

This needs to be posted over and over and over and over and over land over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And over again

At least those filthy foreigners will now stay out of the country, amirite?

nAk3fya.jpg

SBg1VeL.jpg

Beautiful CNN Reporter says that a source in the EU stated unequivocally that the UK will NOT get a good deal. They don't want to set precedent for the rest of the EU states. That, and now the UK will have to negotiate separate treaties for all the EU countries.

From what I understand, the EU will have to go all out to make this as miserable as possible for the UK. Some other euro members will watch with a keen eye on how this works out for the UK, and so Brussels will want to pile on any market problems.

On top of that, the US is in the middle of trade negotiations with the EU, and have already made their feelings clear towards the UK if they leave. I'd imagine both the UK and the EU are gonna cozy as much as possible to the USA right now to get one up on the other.

Crumpo

Whats the impact to the large majority of people right now? None. Everyone still has their jobs, most people aren't retiring tomorrow, very few will be using foreign currency (and just as many will benefit from a weak currency).

The less we let the stock market dictate our politics the better off the common person will be.

My friend turned up to work and his card access is revoked. We were already warned that loss of EU passporting threatened our jobs. Going to head in very soon to check I still have a job.

Oriel

Now that UKIP has acheived its aim of EU withdrawal I suppose it's not asking a lot to see them kindly fuck off altogether and disband as a party? I mean, they've got their bloody "independence" now or do they now move onto withdrawal from the CoE, NATO and the UN as well?

Madness

The Leave vote has almost 1.2 million more votes right now. Pollsters in UK need to self reflect more. This is now twice they have majorly been made foolish regarding what will happen. First was the conservative majority that they could never have predicted and now.

You're all talking about racism and immigration ... But was it really all it was about ? Didn't British people vote because of economic or political arguments . Or was it all about borders and immigration control ?
Almost every page has a post like this and yet if you read the thread properly you'd see the image that keeps getting reposted which shows the most important elements of this to leave was immigration. Remain said it was the economy.

Withnail

OMFG

I've long had a feeling Leave would win, just because the very visible strength of feeling among Leave supporters. But when I went to bed last night the pundits were saying it looked like a Remain win and I thought sanity had prevailed.

Instead we find the lunatics are taking over the asylum.

Zapages

So based on the breaking news Ireland unites and gets to stay in the EU. Then Scotland should break away as well. Just let Wales and England stay together...

I love how the discussion now is how we can partially, though not totally, recover from this.

We shouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Whats the impact to the large majority of people right now? None. Everyone still has their jobs, most people aren't retiring tomorrow, very few will be using foreign currency (and just as many will benefit from a weak currency).

The less we let the stock market dictate our politics the better off the common person will be.

What? Just a few pages back (or in the pound collapsing thread) a GAFer said his wife is crying because she will 100% lose her job. Disgusting.

Mimosa97

People still have their head in the sand. The EU just lost their future strongest economy, strongest military, and one of their largest exporters. Going forward the EU will struggle as well. In a globalized world, numbers and size matter. Against a 1.3 billion people China, 1.2 billion people India, 340 million people USA, UK needed an almost 500 million EU to be represented.

Strongest military is France.

Cromwell

Banned
The last 24 hours have been people getting dog piled and branded racist and Xenophobic on Gaf, just for stating they're gonna vote Leave. It has been disgusting.

I have real sympathy for people badly affected by the result, heck I'm likely to be among them. But this is the start of a bumpy road of change which I hope will be for the better.

I'm not going to explain the reasons behind my vote; I know better than to do so on Gaf. People get analytical and nasty and nothing I can say will convince them that I made my vote for the best of reasons, reasons personal to me.

I get that people are hurt but for fucks sake, personal attacks on Leave voters needs to stop.

By continuing to completely dodge even people politely asking for an explanation you're only validating the suspicions everyone in this thread has. There's a very good reason why people think Brexiters are xenophobic, racist idiots and they've time and time again explained in detail as to why. If you have a counter to that you're more than welcome to offer it.

The last 24 hours have been people getting dog piled and branded racist and Xenophobic on Gaf, just for stating they're gonna vote Leave. It has been disgusting.

I have real sympathy for people badly affected by the result, heck I'm likely to be among them. But this is the start of a bumpy road of change which I hope will be for the better.

I'm not going to explain the reasons behind my vote; I know better than to do so on Gaf. People get analytical and nasty and nothing I can say will convince them that I made my vote for the best of reasons, reasons personal to me.

I get that people are hurt but for fucks sake, personal attacks on Leave voters needs to stop.

Personal attacks are arising due to lack of an open discussion. Right now the conversation is very one-sided, with a heavy emphasis on accusations of racism and acknowledgements of market fluctuations.

However, I do believe you are contributing to this aspect by not expressing your reasoning behind it, even in general terms.

Brexit is happening, and the best thing that we can now do is determine why this happened, how the reasoning can be interpreted by the other side, and whether some form of understanding can be established in order to move forward more harmoniously.

Is that just me being naive? I hope not.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
nAk3fya.jpg

It was bound to happen tbh after the insane Paris attacks. No one wants to have their way of life

The funny thing is that the British have had south asian (or Pakistani) imimigrants for decades now. Three generations born and raised in the U.K so they should be used to them. They should know not all muslims are evil. But nope, they let ISIS win.

Faustek

nah need to sleep a few hours, if my stomach allows it, so take care and don't do anything stupid. We will all need each other.

CrazyDude

Hiding your reasons sure give us reason to think your not xenophobic or racist.

Plum

Welp. I'm going to University in September. Gonna be nice knowing that the job market is going to be even more dire when I leave than it is now. Going through one of the most important periods of my life in the "years of uncertainty" as PM Boris tries to pick up the mess he created.

Unconfirmed Member
EP president Schulz: "Expect Cameron to trigger article 50 next week. Then the 2-year deadline for exit negotiations begins."
https://twitter.com/stefanleifert/status/746211679566856192

The French and German government have their own anti-EU groups to contend with. Any deal that may allow Britain to flourish outside the EU won't be on the table. Expect freedom of labour to be a part of any new trade deal....which will have made this whole referendum pointless.

MUnited83

For you.
Just woke up to the great news!

The British people have told the Prime Minister and most of the country's MPs, not to mention most of the world's leaders to go fuck themselves, and it is glorious.
The British people also managed to fuck their country beyond measue and just ruined a lot of British people's lives.

But yeye, no brown people will enter the country, lets celebrate lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom