• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Really liked this game up until a few certain points.

I loved the part in 2-3
where you control the giant dinosaur, but it'd get turned around so easily and have difficulty shooting without first turning around. No cover really made that part fun :-/.

Also in 3-0 onwards
the numerous creepers throw off the dynamic as they can't be leashed and skillpoints determine ammo :-/. Wasn't entirely challenging but not being able to upgrade and scrounging for machine gun ammo wasn't fun.

Overall I like it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm near the end, and this game continues to be awesome.

Phaethon0017 said:
Really liked this game up until a few certain points.

I loved the part in 2-3
where you control the giant dinosaur, but it'd get turned around so easily and have difficulty shooting without first turning around. No cover really made that part fun :-/.

Also in 3-0 onwards
the numerous creepers throw off the dynamic as they can't be leashed and skillpoints determine ammo :-/. Wasn't entirely challenging but not being able to upgrade and scrounging for machine gun ammo wasn't fun.

Overall I like it.

Minor spoiler about your second complaint.
You can leash them, shoot their legs first.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Waggleton P. Tallylicker.

Never Forget.
I never got to tell him.

Here's my only complaint of the game- I wish the assault rifle didn't always take up the top weapon slot. It'd be nice to be able to pick any 3 weapons at will.

That said.. GOTY contender right here.

"You're going to kill my dick? What does that even mean?"

Chojin

Loving this game a lot. Harkens back to just plan shooting ala Duke Nukem.

However I got one minor complaint.

This game was made here in the states right? For fucks sake. In the description for the Thumper upgrade they attempt to use the word "whilst" and they don't even spell it right, they put whist.

Full text is as such:

Standard enemies will be launched into the air with extreme force, whist (sic) larger opponents will be slammed to the ground and stunned.

NOW tell me I'm not just imagining things. My friends think I'm going batshit over nothing, that we're not overusing a word that doesn't even really belong in the american lexicon at all.

As for the game? Its satisfying getting the pay off for all these crazy ways to kill enemies :p

Prodigal

Banned
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but is there any word on any DLC? Seems like the game would be perfect for DLC in the vein of Borderlands/Fallout.

This game is easily the first time I've enjoyed playing a shooter since Half Life 2 or so. It rules! I had doubts after the demo but holy crap I'm glad I was wrong!

kaskade

I was thinking about getting either this or killzone 3. I mostly wanted killzone to try out the 3d on my TV. This just looks like a lot more fun, plus I really enjoyed the demo.

grkazan12

grkazan12 said:
For anyone who's bought and played the PC version. How's the online? Is it easy to find a match in anarchy mode? And is anyone playing it online?

Sorry for the bump, but can anyone comment on this yet? Really want to get in on this game but still don't know to go for 360 or PC.

kaskade said:
I was thinking about getting either this or killzone 3. I mostly wanted killzone to try out the 3d on my TV. This just looks like a lot more fun, plus I really enjoyed the demo.
Well I only played the demo of KZ3, but based on that and what I've played of this so far, I'd go with this. It's pretty amazing.

Smokey

kaskade said:

I got both games today (and the Sharpshooter for Killzone) and to my surprise I spent the majority of my evening playing Bulletstorm. I am glad I picked this up and did not go off of the demo. I am at the beginning of act 2 and some of the stuff that has happened so far has impressed. I had to tell myself to shut it down as the game as starting to get addicting and I have to work in the morning.

Also I don't know if it's the art style or the graphics, but it looks pretty damn good (color everywhere!).

mr stroke

shippingpc-stormgame20gm2p.jpg

wow

Game looks really impressive IMO(PC version). Great use of color everywhere.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This game is ridiculous. I haven't decided if its ridiculous in a good way or a bad way, though.

Its tone is weird. It is all "I'll shoot your dick off!" and "oh no... DICK!" and yet the storyline itself is very serious.

I almost wish People Can Fly would have gone one way or the other. Make Gears, but with an innovative, freeform gunplay system. Or just go all-out and make Bulletstorm an action comedy.

I don't know that staying in the middle ground is really helping the game.

Still, I enjoyed the gameplay of the first few hours of gameplay quite a bit. The combat is (obviously) innovative and fresh, and the set pieces very memorable. Some of the reviews said that things feel less fresh towards the end, so we'll see how well it holds up.

Lastly, I totally understand *why* ammo is scarce, but it is still a bummer. I just got the weapon that wraps mines around enemies and want to play around with it, but I'm always using up what few charges for the gun I earn. Hopefully there is a New Game+ with unlimited ammo for all weapons.

I really wish they released another part of the game for the demo. The demo doesn't do this game justice. It's the most balls to the wall game I've played in a long time. Set pieces after set pieces and the game runs smooth so far. I've only made it to the start of Act 2 but I'm loving it so far. I didn't expect to say that after playing the demo. This is what I want in a fps. COLOR. The first time I got out of the ship I looked around at the vista because it's so nice to look at.

I have great hope for Gears 3. The UE 3.5 is a marvel to look at. Anarchy mode runs smooth. Matchmaking is fast. I haven't tried any of the echos levels yet because I don't want to spoil the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GDJustin said:
This game is ridiculous. I haven't decided if its ridiculous in a good way or a bad way, though.

Its tone is weird. It is all "I'll shoot your dick off!" and "oh no... DICK!" and yet the storyline itself is very serious.

I almost wish People Can Fly would have gone one way or the other. Make Gears, but with an innovative, freeform gunplay system. Or just go all-out and make Bulletstorm an action comedy.

I don't know that staying in the middle ground is really helping the game.

Still, I enjoyed the gameplay of the first few hours of gameplay quite a bit. The combat is (obviously) innovative and fresh, and the set pieces very memorable. Some of the reviews said that things feel less fresh towards the end, so we'll see how well it holds up.

Lastly, I totally understand *why* ammo is scarce, but it is still a bummer. I just got the weapon that wraps mines around enemies and want to play around with it, but I'm always using up what few charges for the gun I earn. Hopefully there is a New Game+ with unlimited ammo for all weapons.
Maybe it's a commentary on how militaristic organizations foster a culture of perpetual immaturity, with all the naivety and feelings of immortality that go along with it. Or maybe the guys working on it put dick jokes into everything they do. Some people would make a dick joke at a eulogy.

eek5

game is more fun than i thought it was going to be. i'm on 2-2 now and the skill shots have been my favorite part but sometimes it seems like i don't have a ton of control over what i want to do.. the autoaim is intense

Tunavi

Banned
eek5 said:
game is more fun than i thought it was going to be. i'm on 2-2 now and the skill shots have been my favorite part but sometimes it seems like i don't have a ton of control over what i want to do.. the autoaim is intense

I turned off auto-aim and auto lock and the game became 200x better. I recommend this to everyone.

Btw (Story spoilers):
the train mission is insane!!!

eek5

Tunavi said:
I turned off auto-aim and auto lock and the game became 200x better. I recommend this to everyone.

Btw (Story spoilers):
yeah i'll probably have to do this. wasn't really looking for it when i was changing some settings

Tunavi

Banned
eek5 said:
yeah i'll probably have to do this. wasn't really looking for it when i was changing some settings

I know you felt though, I didn't really feel like I had control of the game because the auto aim is so extreme. It's under Options > Game, not the control section

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The auto-aim is indeed way too intense sometimes. I was trying to get a headshot off on an airborn enemy, and the reticle WOULD NOT move away from his center of mass. Never felt anything like it, in a game.

Other times I appreciate the assist, though. The fact that kicked enemies tend to gravitate towards other enemies or environmental hazards is a nice touch, for example.

Tunavi said:

Btw (Story spoilers):

first thing i did too. i noticed it hindered my shots in the demo and once i turned them both off it made headshots so much easier.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It seems like they made ball shots a lot easier than the demo, which is good. I was never able to get one off there.

WickedLaharl said:
is there controller vibration?

anyone? the demo has force-feedback but it doesn't work for me in the full game.

edit: had to restore settings to default to get it working. weird as there is no visible option in the settings :S

eek5

Sinatar said:
No which really sucks since the whole game has an AI dude following you around anyway.
a lot of the 2 person skill shots or skill shot set-ups would be a lot more fun too.. at least from what i've played from the horde-esque mode

big_z

if this game is only 6 acts long then it's going to be short as hell. been pretty fun so far, although near the end of act 2 my mouse sensitivity dropped extremely low. had to crank the dpi on my mouse to max just to turn. thankfully it fixed itself when i got to the monster dome.

btw can you get the explosive necklaces off before they go boom?

Tesseract

Banned
just finished it most of the way through. game is pretty shit, only for the electric leash and slide. and the humor, of course.

singularity is still the best fps since half-life 2.

Top Bottom