• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

S1kkZ

aegies said:
It sounds like some people have beaten it by now - anyone else have the 360 version fail to award the achievement for beating the game?
did you switch the difficulty during your playthrough? a friend of mine had the same problem (he switched from normal to easy on the first boss).

aegies

S1kkZ said:
did you switch the difficulty during your playthrough? a friend of mine had the same problem (he switched from normal to easy on the first boss).

Nope. I even reloaded and replayed the last act.

aegies said:
Or maybe I'm not the one making most of those dick jokes you seem to be so bent out of shape about. The only person I see crying here is you.

Back to topic, I liked the game quite a bit, but it gets repetitive toward the end and anarchy gets repetitive even faster. Still an Editor's Choice though.
Honest question: What seperates Bulletstorm from Vanquish to you? In my mind they both go after a similar niche i.e. 'Do crazy shit-score attack-shooter.'
PS I love the show and you are my favorite games journo

Tunavi

Banned
My highlights of the first chapter.

Attacking the Ulysses with the remote missile launcher, The view of the city from the side of the skyscraper, sliding out into the open world from your ship, The Ulysses crash landing overhead, and the scene where the blood hits the glass from Ishi's operation room and then when your friend tells you to shoot the explosive barrel he's holding

This game is as awesome as expected. So far (Act 2, Ch. 1)it's definitely one of the most fun shooters this gen, along with Vanquish. Hope it keeps up this pace.

Just noticed you can restart checkpoints with bottles and drinking them adds to the 20 drinks achievement tally. I'm gonna try it with shooting the bottles after. Maybe it'll work with those fireflies too?

Edit: works with shooting the bottles. This is great, I was worried the bottle achievements (drinking and shooting them) would require 2 separate playthroughs on 20 separate hidden bottles. That would have been a pain.

Edit 2: doesn't seem to work with those robots. haven't tried it on the fireflies yet.

InertiaXr

How do I get this to run over 30fps on PC? I have 2500k/460 so it will max this UE3 stuff but I can't get over 30fps with v-sync on or off. Is it just a shitty PC port? I expected as much...

Have been on the fence about this one, though always intended to grab it at some point, maybe when it was cheaper (demo was great, but had a feeling it might get a little big old, fast). That said, having read the comments here today and the comparisons/fun factor being up there with Vanquish, I might have to put an order in tonight.

JambiBum

So not sure how many people know this but you don't have to have Bulletstorm to get access to the Gears 3 beta. Bulletstorm only gives you early access. The beta will be available publicly at a later date.

aegies

InertiaXr said:
How do I get this to run over 30fps on PC? I have 2500k/460 so it will max this UE3 stuff but I can't get over 30fps with v-sync on or off. Is it just a shitty PC port? I expected as much...

Put post processing on medium. That should bump you about a good 15-20 frames.

aegies

practice02 said:
Honest question: What seperates Bulletstorm from Vanquish to you? In my mind they both go after a similar niche i.e. 'Do crazy shit-score attack-shooter.'
PS I love the show and you are my favorite games journo

I think it's more responsive, and it's better about enabling the crazy experimentation without punishing you for it. I also think it's got a more fun vibe and a much more interesting setting.

GirlWonder

Neo Member
Domino Theory said:
Voice-acting is pretty bad and I don't enjoy having the gameplay paused every 20 seconds for a useless cutscene, but everything else is fantastic. Hard difficulty is pretty tough. :p

The only character whose voice acting has turned me off so far is Ishi but I don't understand how anyone thinks Steve Blum or Jennifer Hale did a poor job here. Spike and Commander Shepard? What's to dislike? Jennifer Hale doing the voice work in any game is a selling point.

Although I'm thinking they went with Blum because he voiced Wolverine in Wolverine and the X-Men. Grayson is pretty much Logan, maybe the added humor is a nod to Nightwing.

daffy

Banned
JambiBum said:
So not sure how many people know this but you don't have to have Bulletstorm to get access to the Gears 3 beta. Bulletstorm only gives you early access. The beta will be available publicly at a later date.
Awesome, I did not know this.

JambiBum said:

The way I understood it was that buying Bulletstorm gets you in the early beta in April, whereas everyone with a Gold membership will have access to the beta they run a month or so prior to release. So basically the big reward here is seeing the game 6 months early for a week rather than for a couple days a month prior to it coming out. I actually bought the game for Bulletstorm and not the demo, though. The 20 bucks off at Amazon didnt hurt.

Just ran into an interesting clipping bug towards the end of 2-2. My
giant robot
spun around and pushed me into the ground, causing me to clip and endlessly fall. No death, I just had to restart from the last checkpoint.

Game is good times.

highrider

Banned
Was hoping this would be blasted by reviewers and gamers alike. I liked the demo but decided to pass as i'm on a single game a month budget. Reading this thread is not helping my financial resolve.

pickle said:
Was hoping this would be blasted by reviewers and gamers alike. I liked the demo but decided to pass as i'm on a single game a month budget. Reading this thread is not helping my financial resolve.
I'd say this is the best game I've played this month (MvC3 included). It's so fun and has a ton of replay value.

~Kinggi~ said:
This game is fairly incredible i must say.

yes. in both the gameplay and writing department. That song he sings in Act 2 Ch. 2 towards the end...

I played anarchy up to wave 7 with randoms and it was good times. Not too much pressure for teamwork so far, which is nice. I don't like wearing a mic online.

My only complaint so far (act 2 ch. 2 spoilers)
sometimes I couldn't get Reptar to shoot the helicopters

any thoughts on anarchy MP?

i only played 7/8 waves, up until we failed to muster up enough points to advance. I also went for dinner after that point too but the last couple of waves were getting real fun. the group started to work together getting team kills instead of constantly kicking the enemies off the ledge or into the grinding wheels.

Gattsu25

Banned
Haven't had the chance to get very far in the game but wanted to mention this:

ALT+F4 opens up the menu...so that you can click on "Return to Main Menu", press space, and then exit to the desktop?

When I press Alt+F4 I want to quit the fucking game.

Anyone having strange frame rate dips with the PS3 version? It's not constantly happening, but when it does happen, it's distracting. Perhaps I should have grabbed the 360 version.

Asides from the occasional frame rate thing, game's really solid. Gunplay's fun, kicking and leashing guys is awesome, and the story's interesting. Good writing, funny stuff.

Eric WK

ToyMachine228 said:
Up to Act 2, Chapter 2 . Loving it so far. There are just so many moments that make you feel badass. Leashing an enemy toward you and blowing his head off with a single shot from the Screamer will never get old.

Glad to see those inept fools at Amazon finally brought you your copy.

Erebus

InertiaXr said:
I had to turn off AA completely in order to get a constant 60fps on the same card. And I thought Bulletstorm would be walk in the park for a GTX 460.

Other than the performance issues, the game's fantastic.

Rainier

DarkUSS said:
I had to turn off AA completely in order to get a constant 60fps on the same card. And I thought Bulletstorm would be walk in the park for a GTX 460.

Other than the performance issues, the game's fantastic.
Over on the Steam forums, lots of people are having issues with the nVidia 4 series. Seems to run fine on most other cards.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Outtrigger888 said:
Toys r us has a better deal buy killzone 3 and bulletstorm and get a 40$ giftcard :)

What if you don't have PS3?

Good TRUS deal, but mine was for some who hadn't played Gears series (like me) could get all in one package cheap, get beta, get Bullet Storm

Bastards at Amazon sent me an email telling me bad weather somewhere in the country caused me to not get release day delivery. I sent them an email stating this was the third time this had happened, and asked who I could talk to about getting a refund on my Prime account. They responded back by giving me a complimentary extra year of Prime. Worth waiting an extra day or two for Bulletstorm I guess. I'll just play the Dragon Age demo again on a warrior and mage.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
midway through chapter 3 and lovin it so far. presentation goes a long way with me, and this game has loads of it. its also quite beautiful, funny, and so over the top and outrageous you cant help but play with a big huge grin on your face :)

however, combat seems to be a bit repetitive. baddies seem to fall into 3 categories; 1) fodder that gets tossed about by my leash 2) baddies that the game says are "too fast" to leash, despite me clearly tagging them, and 3) bulletsponges that just take lots of hits.

P.S. the sniper rifle was cool, the first time you shoot it, but after that its just tedious.

Erebus

Rainier said:
Over on the Steam forums, lots of people are having issues with the nVidia 4 series. Seems to run fine on most other cards.
Yeah, I was just reading some of the relevant threads there. It seems like most of the people affected are using nVidia cards. Hopefully, they will fix these issues with a patch or with the next driver release.

Even with lacking AA, the jaggies aren't THAT bad.

shippingpc-stormgame200739.jpg

shippingpc-stormgame20c7fi.jpg

Riposte

Pimpbaa said:

In particular: Arthur Gies of Rebel FM.

I think we should focus on specific critics over sites, despite how bad a reputation IGN has.

Might be relevant:
i don't think you have to be good at games to enjoy them, or even review them.

http://twitter.com/#!/aegies/status/40198658133729280

EDIT: And this is just funny lol

@aegies In all honesty, you're the only man I know that managed to do 5.5h. Even our QA can't do it that quickly :)

http://twitter.com/#!/adrianchm/status/40197916823912449

Adrianchm is one of the main developers behind Bulletstorm.

JambiBum

op_ivy said:
midway through chapter 3 and lovin it so far. presentation goes a long way with me, and this game has loads of it. its also quite beautiful, funny, and so over the top and outrageous you cant help but play with a big huge grin on your face :)

however, combat seems to be a bit repetitive. baddies seem to fall into 3 categories; 1) fodder that gets tossed about by my leash 2) baddies that the game says are "too fast" to leash, despite me clearly tagging them, and 3) bulletsponges that just take lots of hits.

P.S. the sniper rifle was cool, the first time you shoot it, but after that its just tedious.

Can't resist.

MnUG5.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
I find it amazing this game and its dick tits dialog is more interesting than most of the FPS out there right now. I mean you can never go wrong with rednecks in space.

I just survived the giant wheel of death. Epic shit.

JambiBum

op_ivy said:
i have no idea what that means
I couldn't resist avatar quoting you because you have a halo avatar and you are talking about repetitive combat/enemies and tedious sniper rifles.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
JambiBum said:
I couldn't resist avatar quoting you because you have a halo avatar and you are talking about repetitive combat/enemies and tedious sniper rifles.

i dont want to shit up the thread with halo discussion, but i couldnt disagree with you more

Hyperborean said:
In particular: Arthur Gies of Rebel FM.

I think we should focus on specific critics over sites, despite how bad a reputation IGN has.

Might be relevant:

http://twitter.com/#!/aegies/status/40198658133729280

EDIT: And this is just funny lol

http://twitter.com/#!/adrianchm/status/40197916823912449

Adrianchm is one of the main developers behind Bulletstorm.

Exposed?

mr stroke

@2560X1600 Resized to 1920x1080
Max settings

perfromance is good-PII 965+5870 and getting 25-35 FPS@2560x1600

From multiplayer level-

shippingpc-stormgame203yzw.jpg

shippingpc-stormgame20azph.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
Looking at some of these PC screenshots id say they did a great job with the console versions minus the AA and higher resolution. Textures and assets kinda look the same. Least on 360.

Top Bottom