• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

derFeef

-PXG- said:
Graphics are fantastic. I'm at a part right now where the water effects are just stunning. I guess they took some notes from Irrational. The PC version must be insane. PC people, post shots soon.
You guys make the wait hard. Damn you delivery. There are shots in the PC Screenshot thread, but not exactly good ones.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just played the demo and thought it was fantastic. Does the game ever get any more complex than basic corridors? That's my big 'umm' at the moment.

Up to Act 2, Chapter 2 . Loving it so far. There are just so many moments that make you feel badass. Leashing an enemy toward you and blowing his head off with a single shot from the Screamer will never get old.

-PXG-

derFeef said:
You guys make the wait hard. Damn you delivery. There are shots in the PC Screenshot thread, but not exactly good ones.

Yep. Someone with a better rig needs to post shots.

That intro was painful. but it taught me to skip the cutscenes and turn my brain off. Now that I've started the game proper, it's a lot of fun. Hard mode represent.

Most remarkably, at only an hour in, this game's writing is already legendarily bad. The "testosterone-filled war bros" style of writing has been done to death, but this game takes it so far, it's practically a parody of the genre. This isn't a negative to me, it's making the game even more fun!

ToyMachine228 said:
Up to Act 2, Chapter 2 . Loving it so far. There are just so many moments that make you feel badass. Leashing an enemy toward you and blowing his head off with a single shot from the Screamer will never get old.

Neither will blowing up a flare with one close enough to fuck someone else up.

CHK-BOOM
CH-BOOM

-PXG-

Rez said:
I just played the demo and thought it was fantastic. Does the game ever get any more complex than basic corridors? That's my big 'umm' at the moment.

There are "open" areas, where you get ambushed and have to defend your position. But on the most part, it's a "corridor" shooter in regards level layout.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the option to turn to voice volume entirely off is mercifully.

styl3s

Curufinwe said:
Did you really expect that level of hypocrisy to go unnoticed? Go cry about it on your shitty podcast, in between all the crass and obnoxious toilet humor.
Need a tissue bro?

aegies

Curufinwe said:
Did you really expect that level of hypocrisy to go unnoticed? Go cry about it on your shitty podcast, in between all the crass and obnoxious toilet humor.

Or maybe I'm not the one making most of those dick jokes you seem to be so bent out of shape about. The only person I see crying here is you.

Back to topic, I liked the game quite a bit, but it gets repetitive toward the end and anarchy gets repetitive even faster. Still an Editor's Choice though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
-PXG- said:
There are "open" areas, where you get ambushed and have to defend your position. But on the most part, it's a "corridor" shooter in regards level layout.
ok, fair enough. so are we just throwing guys onto spikes and down holes repeatedly , else pressing a button and triggering a scripted kill, or do PCF genuinely up their game and introduce new ways of having fun all the way until the end-game?

JambiBum

My favorite thing to do so far is when an enemy shoots a flare at me I turn and leash and/or kick another enemy into his buddy's flare.

Rez said:
ok, fair enough. so are we just throwing guys onto spikes and down holes repeatedly , else pressing a button and triggering a scripted kill, or do PCF genuinely up their game and introduce new ways of having fun all the way until the end-game?

I never got a sense I was triggering a scripted kill, but it might be because things move so fast.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
I never got a sense I was triggering a scripted kill, but it might be because things move so fast.
there was just that one in the demo that involved a giant cylinder, a button, and a lot of squashed enemies.

Rez said:
there was just that one in the demo that involved a giant cylinder, a button, and a lot of squashed enemies.

Ah, I remember that. I don't actually remember that happening in the game itself. Might be an Echoes only thing. But no, there hasn't been anything like that. The game maybe makes it easier for stuff like kicking someone into spikes to happen by probably guiding bodies towards it a smidge but it's nothing you really notice.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Rez said:

It's not really scripted, but it's an option.

You can kill all of them without smashing them with that elevator.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Alienshogun said:
It's not really scripted, but it's an option.

You can kill all of them without smashing them with that elevator.
you're right, calling it scripted was lazy on my part :)

JambiBum said:
My favorite thing to do so far is when an enemy shoots a flare at me I turn and leash and/or kick another enemy into his buddy's flare.

Never even thought of that. Got to go try it now. That's what's so great about this game. So many combinations to think of and try to pull off...And I'm only like an hour and a half in!

JambiBum

ToyMachine228 said:
Never even thought of that. Got to go try it now. That's what's so great about this game. So many combinations to think of and try to pull off...And I'm only like an hour and a half in!

Best thing is if you time it right you can basically get a domino effect going on depending on the amount of people. Flare comes at you, leash a guy toward you, kick him into the flare, and hope that he has buddies near him that will catch fire from his body.

Also the
sniper rifle
(weapon spoiler) is pretty bad ass. Except I can't get the nut shot off with it at all :(.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Voice-acting is pretty bad and I don't enjoy having the gameplay paused every 20 seconds for a useless cutscene, but everything else is fantastic. Hard difficulty is pretty tough. :p

Tunavi

Banned
Happy Bulletstorm Day! Just played the first level and played some anarchy.
The part when you walk above the city on the side of the building made me go WHOAAAAAAAA!!!

Really impressed with the story so far. Not too over the top like other sci-fi, but really exciting and surprisingly mature (aside from the dialogue).

Anarchy has some great minor RPG elements and teamwork. Very happy with this game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:
Voice-acting is pretty bad and I don't enjoy having the gameplay paused every 20 seconds for a useless cutscene, but everything else is fantastic. Hard difficulty is pretty tough. :p

How far are you?

S1kkZ

Pimpbaa said:
Ugh 60 bucks for around 5 hours, no thanks. I'll wait for the steam xmas sale.
the game is 7-8 hours on normal. who comes up with that 5h stuff? did they run through the story on very easy?

Biggzy

Hi everyone first time poster here but long time visitor to the site. To anyone who has the game already would you say the game is worth the full retail price or should i wait till the game gets discounted? I ask this because as you will all know there are a lot of quality games coming out in the next couple of months and funds are tight at the moment. I will appreciate anyone who can give me advice on this.

S1kkZ

Biggzy said:
Hi everyone first time poster here but long time visitor to the site. To anyone who has the game already would you say the game is worth the full retail price or should i wait till the game gets discounted? I ask this because as you will all know there are a lot of quality games coming out in the next couple of months and funds are tight at the moment. I will appreciate anyone who can give me advice on this.
to me it was worth full price. very good campaign (7-8 hours), echoes mode (awesome if friends have the game and you can compare scores) and anarchy is pretty good.

S1kkZ said:
the game is 7-8 hours on normal. who comes up with that 5h stuff? did they run through the story on very easy?

I was wondering about this myself. I didn't think taking it on blind faith to be the best call, especially since most reviews laud the length of the game.

I won't even be touching Killzone 3 for a while. This game is great, and hopefully customers will give it a chance.

I have read some complaints about the writing, but I'm loving it so far. It'll be hard going back to serious shooters after this. After all, the whole concept of a shooing game is ridiculous to begin with, and I wish more fps games realized this.

I've actually pre-ordered Duke so I can get more over the top shooting action.

styl3s

Domino Theory said:
I think the voice acting is good, the main character is great as he is in almost all video game/anime/shows he voices.

some of the supporting actors could be voiced better but its better then most games, and the cut scenes ease up some pretty fast in like 2nd or 3rd level

Pimpbaa said:
And you actually listened to them? on super easy mode and if you game 24/7 yeah you can probably do it in 5 hours, were you expecting a 20 hour single player? this game is competitive mode focused with the horde type mode and other modes.

you are lucky if you get a FPS games longer then 5-6 hours, you in the wrong genre if you want long campaigns.

So, let me get this straight, "Echo Mode" is a single player score attack with leader boards? Are the boards traditional in the sense that it ranks you worldwide and with friends, just like the demo?

And "Anarchy Mode" is the 4-player co-op mode that's like Horde mode, right?

We may need to start sharing Gametags/PSN-IDs for friend scoreboards...

JambiBum

Reluctant-Hero said:
So, let me get this straight, "Echo Mode" is a single player score attack with leader boards? Are the boards traditional in the sense that it ranks you worldwide and with friends, just like the demo?

And "Anarchy Mode" is the 4-player co-op mode that's like Horde mode, right?

We may need to start sharing Gametags/PSN-IDs for friend scoreboards...

You are correct sir.

Biggzy

S1kkZ said:
to me it was worth full price. very good campaign (7-8 hours), echoes mode (awesome if friends have the game and you can compare scores) and anarchy is pretty good.

Thanks for the advice. The problem i have is i don’t know anyone who is getting this game
so I will have no one to compete with in terms of scores and also someone to play with in anarchy mode, so I don’t know the longevity this game will give me. Mind you after saying all that i probably will get the game come Friday lol.

ElRenoRaven

Weenerz said:
Anyone know if this is a bug or am I just wrong?

Since your question isn't being answered I'll answer it. Yes GFWL games should have free online play now. So it must be a bug. Microsoft announced GFWL's online being free to play a good year ago now.

Also guess I'm passing on the game. Not a fan of the Online pass crap EA is doing and when DLC is announced the day or before a game is out they go on my no buy list.

aegies

It sounds like some people have beaten it by now - anyone else have the 360 version fail to award the achievement for beating the game?

Top Bottom